AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-04-17, 17:28   Link #61
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Battle was cool, spidertanks are pleasant change from standard mechas and they packing some nice moves.

Exposition in other hand couldn't be more heavy-handed if it was made out of uranium.
those tanks remind me of the battle/spider tanks in the series Sora No Woto though on a smaller size scale.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 17:51   Link #62
grecefar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blue Notes Blues
Mmm I don't know if the speadhead wants to be mean to her or they don't want to let their guard down because she seems to really care about them since there were some scenes were they looked mad at her talking and then sad, I don't know. I think there seems to be a few who could give her chance and others than don't. I'm looking foward to see how lena win their hearts lol.
grecefar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 18:30   Link #63
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
That is just a pseudo-scientific excuse to justify taking away their human rights. Kind of like the Nazi race theory.
Yeah, just imagine if the Alba were blonde and blue-eyed instead of sliver-haired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Mmm I don't know if the speadhead wants to be mean to her or they don't want to let their guard down because she seems to really care about them since there were some scenes were they looked mad at her talking and then sad, I don't know. I think there seems to be a few who could give her chance and others than don't. I'm looking foward to see how lena win their hearts lol.
I don't think they're deliberately trying to antagonize her. They might not think they particularly need her from having to survive on their own with Handlers who basically wanted to see them dead for so long, but Shin acknowledged that her advice was sound tactically even if Shin, in the field, knew of a better one. I guess at least Shin doesn't appreciate that she's forcing him to do the proper paperwork .

Granted no matter how hard Lena tries to empathize and connect with Spearhead Squadron, the situation they're in and their treatment by the Alba will probably always make that difficult. Look at how her previous squad reacted to her apology for losing their commander and her saying she was going to take over Spearhead.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 18:31   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
Think you misunderstood something. Nobody's hiding it. The logic they propagate (as explained by the teacher) is, the 86 are not humans. Therefore, no humans are piloting the Juggernauts and by extension there are no human casualties in this war.
The media in the first episode were talking about the "unmaned drones" being a technological advancement. And why would the heroine make the fact the Juggernauts are manned seem like a big reveal when talking to the students?
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 18:36   Link #65
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The media in the first episode were talking about the "unmaned drones" being a technological advancement. And why would the heroine make the fact the Juggernauts are manned seem like a big reveal when talking to the students?
Unmanned in the sense that, as far as the Alba are concerned, nothing human is in the Juggernaut. They even act like the Juggernaut is this high-end machine when we see the Eighty-Six complain about how terrible they are to pilot.

Even the students in the class didn't seem to register that much surprise to what she was saying because despite the facts she was spitting out they were still thinking the Eighty-Six were basically a lesser species akin to a pig which is the company line.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 18:38   Link #66
Lambdalith
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Mmm I don't know if the speadhead wants to be mean to her or they don't want to let their guard down because she seems to really care about them since there were some scenes were they looked mad at her talking and then sad, I don't know.
Shin and Shuga are willing to give her a fair shot because having a competent and collaborative officer helps them in combat. The others have an understandable diffidence of her kind. You can see by their faces who doesn't mind speaking with Lena and who is genuinely annoyed by her attempt at communication outside of combat situations.
The sadness you are referring to is more about the topic of the end of their terms in the military.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The media in the first episode were talking about the "unmaned drones" being a technological advancement. And why would the heroine make the fact the Juggernauts are manned seem like a big reveal when talking to the students?
The actual truth is not that they are manned but that they are deathtraps and the processors should be considered human and not a disposable part. Lena is protected by Jerome, but another officer would have been severely punished for saying that 86 are humans. Anyway that's the eternal problem approaching Eighty Six: even those who translated the previews were under the impression that the manned aspect of the drones was a twist, while in reality the republic is just transparently racist which is actually more shocking.
Lambdalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 19:26   Link #67
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
The combat scene was well animated and Sawano's soundtrack really helped compliment it. So far this adaption is really off to a good start.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 20:06   Link #68
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Sawano's overly-loud, always-vocal, redundant (but cool if you look at them individually) music is fine and all, but dang, the SE of the mecha are so squeaky. A little bit too much KyuiiiinKyuuiiin-ing.

So apparently the fact there are people riding on the machines is known by everyone, but since everyone don't consider them humans, they think it is correct to call these unpiloted? Umm... I guess? Considering this country is probably under some silver-haired conspiracy involving some kind of sci-fi science because these stories all do that, I'll go with it. They're all in cahoots.
__________________

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 20:17   Link #69
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambdalith View Post
The actual truth is not that they are manned but that they are deathtraps and the processors should be considered human and not a disposable part. Lena is protected by Jerome, but another officer would have been severely punished for saying that 86 are humans. Anyway that's the eternal problem approaching Eighty Six: even those who translated the previews were under the impression that the manned aspect of the drones was a twist, while in reality the republic is just transparently racist which is actually more shocking.
I was half-expecting that MP to try and drag her out or arrest her with the way he was staring daggers at her face for basically laying bare the truth, but I guess it pays to have family in high places (as Annette realized and Lena knows) .

Although it's not like Lena can do anything even if she continues to call out how inhumane and wrong it all is when no one will listen to her and she's not high enough on the totem pole to make any policy changes
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 20:30   Link #70
Lambdalith
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Although it's not like Lena can do anything even if she continues to call out how inhumane and wrong it all is when no one will listen to her and she's not high enough on the totem pole to make any policy changes
Yeah, the system is too monolithic at this stage, with at least one generation almost completely indoctrinated in believing in the myth of Alba's superiority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Considering this country is probably under some silver-haired conspiracy involving some kind of sci-fi science because these stories all do that, I'll go with it. They're all in cahoots.
It's all in the lesson: they were interned first for fear of sabotage (which is partially inspired to the historical internment of Japanese in the USA during WW2) and when the situation degenerated in a machine war that threatened humanity they were used as slaves to build fortifications and as soldiers, essentially using their families in the camps as hostages. It was easier to say that the army was massacred because there were traitors instead of admitting that Giad was militarily superior, despite being a barbaric totalitarian empire instead of the refined democracy established by the Alba. Then there is the hate factor: the Republic lost an entire generation during the conflict and the colorata are see as the relatives of those who created the robotic monsters that slaughtered their parents. The system in place is what happens when an world ending scenario became a relatively stable dystopia.

Last edited by Lambdalith; 2021-04-17 at 23:02.
Lambdalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 21:57   Link #71
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 31
I was a little worried but the animation and pacing seem to be on point. Hope they keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambdalith View Post
Shin and Shuga are willing to give her a fair shot because having a competent and collaborative officer helps them in combat. The others have an understandable diffidence of her kind. You can see by their faces who doesn't mind speaking with Lena and who is genuinely annoyed by her attempt at communication outside of combat situations.
They're really being quite nice even bothering to talk to her outside combat at all.

Quote:
The sadness you are referring to is more about the topic of the end of their terms in the military.
This episode cleverly hinted at this right at the start.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 22:28   Link #72
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
They're really being quite nice even bothering to talk to her outside combat at all.
I think they probably appreciate the novelty of the fact that she's a Handler that seems to actually care about her job, can actually do said job, and isn't dismissive of the Eighty-Six to the point where she's regularly contacting with and trying to engage with them. Although the latter is probably something they have to really take at face-value given what they've experienced from Albans at this point.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 23:27   Link #73
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think they probably appreciate the novelty of the fact that she's a Handler that seems to actually care about her job, can actually do said job, and isn't dismissive of the Eighty-Six to the point where she's regularly contacting with and trying to engage with them. Although the latter is probably something they have to really take at face-value given what they've experienced from Albans at this point.
"Appreciate the novelty" is a good description. So, not even at the point of cautiously optimistic. Although I guess to them there isn't anything to be optimistic about - they've been sorta kinda hanging on without (in spite of) handler support. They probably appreciate any handler that doesn't actively try to screw them over.

The segue from Lena asking about the future to the next episode's title is great. Lena is still underestimating what kind of mentality the soldiers have if she can ask that; their priority probably has been just to survive this fight, that in the first place, they didn't choose to be in. "Become Republic citizens again" also sound way too optimistic - surprised no one called her out on that right away.

In terms of setting, so far the Legion still feels too much like a pure plot device. And with the focus being on the 86s and the Alba, I'm not optimistic this feeling will change. If the setting had been, or if there's a revelation in the future, that the Legions are actually also manned - that would be interesting to explore. (PS LN readers I'm not asking for a spoiler, I'm just speculating )
__________________
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 23:33   Link #74
sierra117
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post

In terms of setting, so far the Legion still feels too much like a pure plot device. And with the focus being on the 86s and the Alba, I'm not optimistic this feeling will change. If the setting had been, or if there's a revelation in the future, that the Legions are actually also manned - that would be interesting to explore. (PS LN readers I'm not asking for a spoiler, I'm just speculating )
Technically and strictly speaking, it’s impossible for the Legions to be “manned” as 86s have fought them for years on daily basis yet there no such thing mentioned
But you are close enough
__________________
“If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.”
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 23:38   Link #75
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
The Legion are just kind of funny to me because it's like how autonomous robot soldiers always end up turning evil and trying to wipe out humanity. Nobody in fiction ever knows better .
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 23:43   Link #76
Random14
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Still feels like set-up but then they are still covering a lot of details, and I am interested (I'll probably go read the LN after this).

Lena certainly stands out with how different she is from everyone. It looks like she's the only Alba to care, not just about the 86 but the war effort at all. But when officially its just "unmanned" machines fighting against each other, and the war is supposed to end in two years anyway, most people wouldn't care. Not to mention she can get away with it more than others who might try to speak out.

Lena means well but I can see how that would grate on the 86 as well. Not so much the paperwork but they know how they're viewed back in the capital. No one before her took this war seriously, and they know its not like she can actually do anything about it either, despite her good intentions. Right now they're still at the adjusting to each other phase (or rather "putting up with her"), hopefully next episode will move beyond that.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 23:52   Link #77
Lambdalith
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
The Legion are just kind of funny to me because it's like how autonomous robot soldiers always end up turning evil and trying to wipe out humanity. Nobody in fiction ever knows better .
Can't say much, but even there Eighty Six put a very particular spin to things. Anyway the Republic speculated that Legion system was defective and ended up recognizing everything non Legion as a foe. They also speculate that it was too geared toward tactical AI with poor strategic capabilities without human commanders. This is also their explanation on how they are still alive with Legion just conducting hit and run attacks. As you see they just retreat when the damage sustained exceed the tactical gain. The problem is...well...let's just say the Republic tends to be wrong on a lot of things.
Lambdalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-18, 02:08   Link #78
Kakurin
大佐
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The media in the first episode were talking about the "unmaned drones" being a technological advancement. And why would the heroine make the fact the Juggernauts are manned seem like a big reveal when talking to the students?
With regards to the media, it's pure propaganda for domestic consumption. As with Lena, she is trying to hammer home the point that the 86 are humans. It's more telling if you look at the reactions of the students. Absolutely nobody was surprised by the fact that the 86 are piloting the Juggernauts and frankly nobody cared.
__________________
Kakurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-18, 02:30   Link #79
zztop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I'm not fond of al the jumping around, but I was thought first episode was pretty great. I'm a LN reader so I will refrain from saying to much but the first episode is definitely only scratching the surface what is going.
About how many volumes could the anime cover?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-18, 02:32   Link #80
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Those students were future handlers so it make sense they know, though.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.