AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-03, 23:55   Link #1
Yuutsu

Holy... freaking... cow...

Hey dudes and dudettes! Nice to meet you!

My name is Yuutsu. Did you know that I am the stupidest person in the world?

Let me tell you an interesting story. I had a Physics midterm today. It's worth 9% of the overall grade. There were 3 questions, worth 5 marks each.

I am a first-year student. I enrolled in the Honours Physics class. It is my understanding that the depth and difficulty of Honours Physics was to be a cut above the vanilla course.

After having attended the course for a month, I'd have to say the material was of decent difficulty. It wasn't actually all that bad compared to the difficulty I experienced in AP Physics (yet; maybe this course will become harder soon?). However, I understand that even the easiest concepts can have hellishly difficult questions associated with them.

This is the the mindset I had in my approach to studying for the midterm, that I should be prepared for very difficult questions that stretch my thinking capacity. We had already been assigned to read 200 pages out of the ~450 page textbook that we use for Physics. I looked over every single detail, made sure I understood it completely, and practiced the hardest questions I could find. I wasn't 100% confident, but figured I could scrap together an A.

Come test-time, imagine my disbelief as the midterm consisted of 3 mind-numbingly easy questions (that would probably take a 11-th grader no longer than ~15 minutes to do; we were given 60 minutes).

But guess what?! : D

Yuutsu reads one question wrong, and gets the other one wrong.

You have a 2 identical slanted tables with a ROUGH surface..... This is what I thought at the time, "Rough surface? Neat. ^.^ Duuuuuuuur........... this is easy-peazy." A millisecond later, I forget that the surface is rough.

Moving on, you have a 2 masses connected to a string on a frictionless pulley. You are told what the masses are. Calculate the acceleration of one of the 2 objects. This is what I thought at the time, "Pulley? Neat. ^.^ Duuuuuuuur........... this is easy-peazy." A millisecond later, I get the question wrong.

The last question makes me laugh so hard. The pulley thing was one of the easiest things I did in grade 11 and 12. I did questions on pulley systems that involved angular momentum for goodness' sake (in AP Physics)! The question in the midterm was about as freakin' easy as you can get. I still got it wrong.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Anyway, first world problems. Thanks for allowing me to vent and I'll watch as this thread withers away into oblivion as it rightfully should.
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 00:12   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A nice cup of hot tea and wrapping yourself in the Blanket of Despair with a relaxing anime might be in order. Then you might talk to your teacher and plead insanity. Fortunately, it won't have any effect on your AP test and most AP teachers just convert the grade from the class score to whatever score you got on your AP if it was better.
Old 2011-10-04, 00:16   Link #3
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Wow, a midterm with 3 questions that's worth 9% of the final mark. What has our world become.

Oh wait, it's pretty much the same. Damn schools. Sip down that cup of chamomile tea and drift off to sleepy town, where worries tend to stick around for an average of 0 seconds. There's also no friction and rough surface BS to deal with here.
Old 2011-10-04, 00:41   Link #4
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That's why I hate 'tests'. You know something and then you make one tiny/silly mistake and everything you've done is for naught to the point you may as well not have turned up. Way too arbitrary.

Unless you get some credit because you showed all your working and whatever correctly even if you came to the wrong conclusion?

Make sure to get cake to go with the tea.
Old 2011-10-04, 00:42   Link #5
Aesthetic Shampoo

If it makes you feel any better...my HSC is in 2 weeks and i haven't studied for the last 6 years. Oh, and lets not forget how anime has deprived me of my in class listening skills.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 00:44   Link #6
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
If it makes you feel any better...my HSC is in 2 weeks and i haven't studied for the last 6 years. Oh, and lets not forget how anime has deprived me of my in class listening skills.
Heh I was much the same.

If I could go back in time and do those school years again I would do things differently. Took school way to much for granted. Not that I did too badly, but lower then I should have been.

Ahh, if only I was 15 years younger... and a woman.
Old 2011-10-04, 00:54   Link #7
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

My first college exam was a disaster too. Had to do speed equations on a business calculator that recorded everything I punched in. Instructions weren't given to me properly, but the goof up was still my fault.

Basically, I was supposed to hit an additional key that would add up all the totals stored in the memory, but for some reason I went through not doing so. I must have forgotten or something equally stupid. Well, apparently the speeds for each line of equations wouldn't count unless all the answers were right. But none of them were right. Lullllllz

Anyways, yeah. School's seriously broken and nobody's doing anything about it. I'm having sponge cake with my chamomile tea. >.>
Old 2011-10-04, 04:28   Link #8
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Before the mods do anything I'd like to give a notion to make this a full fledged thread about College / School / Tests

Seems like a lot of people might be interested in this thread!
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 05:58   Link #9
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Welcome to College kid.

Welcome to College .
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 06:25   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

This is why you always double-check the tests after you're done Well, don't let it get to you, I've been struggling to pass a series of insanely difficult courses, and get a 1/10 because my answer was off by 0.00002 units. In my case, I wish I had made a careless mistake, at least then I wouldn't rage all over the world <_<

Better luck next time!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 08:25   Link #11
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Is there a need to create a thread with such an ambiguous title when it can be posted in the Silly questions thread?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 08:28   Link #12
Hollowgolem

When I'm feeling particularly frustrated with the laws of Physics, I read Fullmetal Alchemist. That baby gives the physical laws what-for (especially the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics).

It'll make you feel better. Trust me.
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 13:41   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Before the mods do anything I'd like to give a notion to make this a full fledged thread about College / School / Tests

Seems like a lot of people might be interested in this thread!
Well.. at the least I'd rename the thread.. or just close this one and start a new one. Call it the "Post Test Crying Room" or something
Old 2011-10-04, 13:52   Link #14
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

physics questions usually have multiple parts and partial credit is often given. so even if you get all the parts wrong, you shouldn't get a 0 if you showed your work.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 16:08   Link #15
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well.. at the least I'd rename the thread.. or just close this one and start a new one. Call it the "Post Test Crying Room" or something
Ah yes, ofcourse

Sorry for the confusion Vexx, yeah I meant renaming the thread to College or something in that nature

How about:
"Post-College test venting room" or "PCT venting room" for short
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:37   Link #16
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
oh, are we telling test horror stories?

my O-chem class starts at 8AM, which might not be so bad, but I have a long morning routine and commute so I end up getting up at 4 or 5...
and on test days, class starts at 7:30AM so that after the test he can still give a full lecture. My tests in that class are full of silly mistakes. Because of the time limit, I have to rush through things without double checking my work (like making sure I don't put 5 bonds around a carbon, or leave out a charge or lone pair). He's also brutal with partial credit. Get a bond angle off, lose half the points.
The other thing with that class is that he expects a minimum of 20 hours studying a week out of class in order to even pass with a C...and the uni doesn't give any extra class credits for the class, even though there is a lab, so I'm still stuck taking 3 other classes, all with reading, tests, and papers. Some people I know barely even work 20 hours a month outside of class...
/end rant/

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 18:49   Link #17
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

unless you actually pursue a career in o-chem, you won't ever use it again after you take that class. like yeah, you need to know what an ester is. what a carboxyl group is. etc. but you'll never need to know the difference between SN1 and SN2. If you're aiming to be a doctor, they're starting to lean away from o-chem and emphasizing biochem.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:11   Link #18
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I was once getting ready for a test at 6:30, when at 6:20 I realised I didn't know where the test was being held...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 21:38   Link #19
qwertyuiopz

i had a 5% online open book multiple choice assignment with a 45min limit...i finish with 10mins left and then closed it. marks were posted midnight and i got a 0%...seems that i forgot to click submit UGHHH >:[
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 21:46   Link #20
Kyuu
=^^=

Ah, AP Physics. Good memories. I managed to score a 4 (Mechanics) and 5 (Elec/Magnetism). But that was a good... 13 years ago now.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote