AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2003-12-20, 15:48   Link #1
Yuuko_Hajiwara
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to Yuuko_Hajiwara
xXxHolic

Last time I went to the shop that has tons of manga goodies near where I live, I saw this new one out by CLAMP which looked really interesting. The artwork was typically theirs and it seemed like they were going back to some of their usual, older style with more detail. It's called XXX Holic, and apparently, similar to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (has anyone heard of that?) it mixes lots of their characters from different series, but also brings in some new ones. The story is of this sorceress called Yuuko who owns a shop, and a boy comes in there and ends up working for her....

Has anyone heard of it? What do you think? Do you think CLAMP's "remix" mangas will have success? Has anyone read any?

I've read about the first chapter of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and it's pretty good, though it's a bit odd to see characters you're normally familiar with playing different roles, and sometimes related to different people...
Yuuko_Hajiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 19:05   Link #2
Go-go
Shinsengumi's shinobi.

I remeber reading something about it...the male protagonist looks a lot like Eriol. A friend of mine has the first vol., I think, so I may check it out one of this days.

On the other hand, I haven't been able to read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, so I can't compare. (But I've seen pictures. They looked nice.)
Go-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 22:39   Link #3
LynnieS

Del Rey, who bought the rights to both series for the U.S., has put up a manga page. There are a couple of blurbs about each of the titles and include expected publication dates.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 21:12   Link #4
guynextdoor
arcueid !! ^^

i've read up to volume 2 for both series, and they are both good, if not better than the X/1999 manga, which rocked too
guynextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 19:15   Link #5
Pandora
Poisoned

XXXholic is quite good IMO. It's along the line of Tokyo Babylon, though not as angst of course. It has potential. Guess we'll see.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 20:19   Link #6
maxthelostboy

DId clamp do a new manga called legal drug? I heard of it on tokoypops site but dont know who licensed it. Delreys manga look sweet i want to buy everyone other then gundam seed. Sigh Manga is too addiciting
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 09:59   Link #7
Pandora
Poisoned

Yes, Clamp has a manga called Gohou Drug, ie. Lawful Drug as most people called it. It isn't exactly new though. I believe Tokyopop is the one that licensed it.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 00:24   Link #8
Silence_Fish

Send a message via AIM to Silence_Fish
xXx Holic

I saw this at the store and thought about picking it up, does anyone know if it's any good? I know that's a pretty generic question, but try.
Silence_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 02:12   Link #9
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence_Fish
I saw this at the store and thought about picking it up, does anyone know if it's any good? I know that's a pretty generic question, but try.
It. is. great.

I've only read to Vol.4 so this is as much as I can tell you, the storyline itself hasn't progressed alot, rather, the storyline moves along with small stand-alone arcs, each offering some small clue to the overall story.

I like how CLAMP treats the atmosphere though, relatively dark and gloomy.But, correct me if I'm wrong here, since CLAMP is working on 2 projects at the same time, the xXxHolic volumes churn out pretty slow, compared to Tsubasa.
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 06:58   Link #10
Sakuya-chan

xXxHolic is great! hehe....yea, it does have a relatively dark and gloomy atomosphere, but there are humourous parts in it too ....Tsubasa is really good too! I got my fwend hooked on it and now she won't stop bugging me for more....kinda annoying really...lol

Inuzaka: You have up to volume 4?!? I only have up to volume two I want my xXxholic!!! hehe....o well, I'll get it sooner or later....hopefully sooner....haha o well, I guess I'll jus reread the first two volumes....*wanders off*
Sakuya-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 18:05   Link #11
midori-chan
I love Seijikun!!

Wink *__________*

I like it!!
I've always loved this manga so particular!!
Clamps are great!! ^_______^
midori-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 23:58   Link #12
Tsukishirou

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iīm loving this manga, even more than Tsubasa!

I wish it would be more Yuuko x Watanuki; but itīs kinda obvious itīs more like Doumeki x Watanuki. (Where does Himawari ends in all this?).
Watanuki looks so funny everytime Hiwawari-chan is around; and all the over reactions (read: hate) towars Doumeki.
Iīve read up to Vol.7 and I canīt wait, the pace is so relaxing and tranquil itīs refreshing.

Watanuki made chocolates for Valentineīs day (even tough, as I heard only gilrs are supposed to make them) to give to Himawari-chan (Reversed roles?), but instead Doumeki just went ahead and ate it XD, instead of developing into shonen-ai, Doumeki just shows-off all the chocolates he got from the girls (Cause Watanuki is not popular XD).
Tsukishirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 15:58   Link #13
Soka-chan

I love it as well.It's much better than TRC...though I don't like Watanuki, he's a bit too stupid for my tastes...but Domeki is cool(and I just LOVE their relationship...No way Yuko/Watanuki could work, since she's like a goddess, beautiful, intelligent, powerful...she thinks of him like a kid, even if she teases himXD). Himawari is veeeery plain, I hope they fill her out more as a character. Mokona is brilliant, I like her much more than White Mokona.

I love the plot, and the thing that makes this manga for me is Yuko herself. She's just so interesting, a conflicting mix of many things.

The drawings are very beautiful and gothic and decadent, and actually give off some oriental feeling that manga usually doesn't.
Soka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 19:29   Link #14
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

I have all of it up to the last one released in the states (6) and I greatly enjoy it and intend to keep getting them. I think it'll be interesting to see where the story goes from here on in terms of Watanuki's spirit problem. And Yuuko is wonderful, just the right mix of sass and intellegence. She's definately one of my favorite female characters at the moment.
AthenAltena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 03:33   Link #15
serosi

xxxHolic is GREAT.

The character of the story is itself unique, like Watanuki and Yuuko.
Watanuki being the clueless but skillful chara.
And Yuuko being the chara that know a lot and mysterious.
I especially like Yuuko saying that every event has fate entangled in it.
Every occurence has meaning behind it.

Besides according to me, xxxHolic is kinda the link between most of CLAMP series. and also provide some guidance to it.
And i kinda like CLAMP working both TRC and xxxHolic together, and making some connection between the manga. Must be fun!

btw, according to me, the answer to both TRC and xxxHolic will lay on the connection with Cardcaptor Sakura, what do you think?
serosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 06:01   Link #16
Tsukishirou

I was also thinking about the connection to CCS, I think thereīs only one Clow Reed.
They said in Tsubasa that in different worlds you may find sometimes the same person but with different circumstances; maybe the world of CCS is just another world to where they could link.
At first I tought that the xxx HOLiC world and the CCS world were the same because of the replica of Sakuraīs staff that Yuuko has
But maybe the original world of CCS is just out there.
Yuuko said that her store is there and also isnīt there, so maybe thereīs only 1 Yuuko and only 1 Clow.

Anyway, I didnīt know there were over 100 Ch. Iīve been stuck at 48.
They must reveal more about Himawari-chan!! (And more airtime of the Kudakitsune).
Tsukishirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 09:23   Link #17
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukishirou
At first I tought that the xxx HOLiC world and the CCS world were the same because of the replica of Sakuraīs staff that Yuuko has
But maybe the original world of CCS is just out there.
I believe they are the same world, since Yuuko makes a reference to a Shaoran and Sakura in their world who are "both decendents of Clow Reed" which refers to the CCS versions (though the mechanics in Sakura's case for being a descendent are a bit complicated, I guess according to CLAMP she is)
Old 2006-05-05, 09:27   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The only way to be certain that CCS & Yuuko's world are the same imo would be to hear more about Yuuko's relationship with Clow Reed.
Old 2006-05-05, 21:17   Link #19
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
The only way to be certain that CCS & Yuuko's world are the same imo would be to hear more about Yuuko's relationship with Clow Reed.
I believe there's been a manga extra somewhere that shows them making the Mokonas. I don't have any more information on it but I remember hearing of it somewhere.
Old 2006-05-06, 16:11   Link #20
KuraiSHIA

Yeah, here in Germany i bought it too!^^ I love it so much!!!!!!! >///< It's so full of mystery and secrets!!! Especially people doesn't know much about Yuko, not even her real name. Or know anyone there her real name???? o.O? How much manga were published at your place? Here there are six volume published.

anata no Kurai
KuraiSHIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, seinen