AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-16, 14:39   Link #1
deadlight
バカ うさぎ

Kannagi has been Licensed by Bandai USA

Well the english site just got updates with some news
http://www.nagisamafanclub.com/

Kannagi is licensed and you can now watch the episodes 1-2 online on that site.
Old 2009-07-16, 16:06   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Good News: You can watch the show online & the DVD containing ep 1 to 7 is available to order.

Bad News: There's no dub, it's subs only.
Old 2009-07-16, 16:18   Link #3
QBnoYouko
Twilight Breaker

Send a message via MSN to QBnoYouko
Pretty surprised by a sudden DVD release. I wonder if they'll bring out the dub later.

Bah, No. 1452. People work fast.
Old 2009-07-16, 16:29   Link #4
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBnoYouko View Post
I got one too, No. 143# (Last number is censored for privacy reasons).

How many people are going to join Nagi's fan club anyway?
Old 2009-07-16, 16:48   Link #5
deadlight
バカ うさぎ

Quote:
Pretty surprised by a sudden DVD release. I wonder if they'll bring out the dub later.

Yeah I was expecting the announcement to be a licensing one but not a release one.

Hmm I got #1026...

Anyway the subs are quite decent.
Old 2009-07-16, 17:11   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It seems Kannagi has been licensed by Bandai USA... surprising. And it looks like I'll be ordering it from Rightstuf this week... fast moving. I guess this is the sort of thing I wanted -- fast turnaround on DVD R1s and no dubs on offerings that wouldn't sell big anyway with dubs.

Now if all series start to be streamed this gets even more interesting (though I'd still be capturing the files anyway because I don't trust the bastards to follow through with DVDs).
Old 2009-07-16, 17:44   Link #7
Once and Current Subber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlight View Post
Yeah I was expecting the announcement to be a licensing one but not a release one.

Hmm I got #1026...

Anyway the subs are quite decent.
Why, thank you. ^^
Old 2009-07-16, 21:59   Link #8
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

It's wierd. I was never a big Kannagi fan before because I didn't like the overly rom/com parts of it, but I wierdly got really excited for the U.S. release (probably those pretty covers) and when I watched the first two episodes again, I really enjoyed them even more than I did before, it's wierd how much more I like the series now after giving it a second chance. Being dubless always is a shame for me, but really I can't miss something that never was, and at least I can buy it now. Yay! (Though I have no idea what I'm going to do with the shirt with preordering vol. 2) I asked my mom for it, and I mentioned the tshirt, and she said "will you get made fun of for wearing that?" And I said, well maybe I'll get some looks, but thankfully my school isn't a public school and everyone's really accepting and cool, so no one will really care. Haha still I doubt I would wear it in public but who knows.
Old 2009-07-17, 05:10   Link #9
Dop
Mmmm....

They must have kept very quiet about this one, as announcing it AND having the DVDs ready for sale the next day is pretty good going.
Streaming's locked out for me, but I've been online and ordered the DVDs.
Hurray for multi-region DVD players, that's what I say.

More quick subbed DVD releases, please!
Old 2009-07-17, 19:07   Link #10
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Bandai did a damn good job with promoting this show, and to top it off they had a almost instatanious release of the first DVD. You gotta give them credit.

A shame that there isn't any dub, but we buy these DVDs we may see one in the future. I've already purchased the first volume and pre-ordered the second. It'll be great re-watching this series again, AND I get a free shirt to wear. >_>
Old 2009-07-21, 01:57   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Fired off an order for the first DVD volume... will have to wait a few weeks before pre-ordering the second one.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:19   Link #12
einhorn303

Don't watch anime illegally, so I'm watching it Thursdays via the ANN streaming. There's a good chance I'll buy it on DVD...this show has truly epic "girl's thigh" animation. I guess it depends on how much I like Zange-chan's character, I've heard good things about her.

Quote:
The earlier releases of Gurren Lagann do set a precedent, although that was a bit different (there were explicitly stated plans for a later bilingual dub release). Although to be honest, I don't really care if there ever is an English dub for it.
Old 2009-07-24, 21:54   Link #13
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I might get the official DVDs once both volumes comes out, but I'm still debating if I should go for it or wait until the dub release come out even later (since I don't want to get shafted).
Old 2009-07-24, 23:22   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I might get the official DVDs once both volumes comes out, but I'm still debating if I should go for it or wait until the dub release come out even later (since I don't want to get shafted).
So far, they've indicated that the general release won't be dubbed either, so I guess I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
Old 2009-07-25, 00:05   Link #15
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So far, they've indicated that the general release won't be dubbed either, so I guess I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
Bandai also stated (at their San Diego Comic-Con panel, I believe) that in the current market, with the current financial situation, they only plan to dub things which have the possibility of a TV release.

I don't foresee Kannagi being on SyFy or Cartoon Network/Adult Swim anytime soon, so really...I think waiting for a dub release will be waiting for never. You also have to consider that a dub release might be contingent on strong sales for the series, indicating popularity, so "waiting for the dub release" is a self-defeating path.
Old 2009-07-25, 19:36   Link #16
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

If that is the case, I should be safe from getting shafted into buying another release if it comes out... I just might as well get it for my birthday since it's coming up soon anyways...

(I don't really care much about the dub, although I prefer it since it's alot easier than reading subtitles, besides it's not nearly as popular as Clannad (I don't see why they don't make a dub when the series is popular))

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-07-25 at 22:20.
Old 2009-07-25, 22:36   Link #17
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
...besides it's not nearly as popular as Clannad (I don't see why they don't make a dub when the series is popular))
"Popular" is a very relative word.

For example, compare DVD sales of Clannad with DVD sales of Cowboy Bebop. Or to be truly cruel, DVD sales of House.
Old 2009-08-03, 22:52   Link #18
Caster13
=^_^=

I don't suppose any fellow Canadians have found a Canadian retailer (online or otherwise) who's selling the first DVD? I try to avoid shopping internationally whenever possible because surprise customs/taxes/courier charges suck.
Old 2009-08-03, 23:31   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster13 View Post
I don't suppose any fellow Canadians have found a Canadian retailer (online or otherwise) who's selling the first DVD? I try to avoid shopping internationally whenever possible because surprise customs/taxes/courier charges suck.
I can attest to that.... I'm in the US and was trying to sell a Japanese-made figure to a fellow poster in Canada and the customs/tax/fees made almost tripled the final cost causing me to just give up. I also see why Fred Gallagher (Megatokyo) resisted shipping to Canada for so long.

I can see this sort of thing for items competing with stuff *made in Canada*... but for items that simply are not manufactured there it makes very little sense.
Old 2009-08-03, 23:40   Link #20
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster13 View Post
Well, right now Rightstuf has a special "exclusive" deal with Bandai. That's only a temporary thing, though, and eventually it'll be retailed to all dealers.
Closed Thread