AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 228 77.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 13.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 5.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.68%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-07, 17:31   Link #241
M.D. Geist

This thread is btw. seriously missing some :

Evil Blue bag of DOOM!

edit :
i think the first bag is missing too! ;]
although the ankel might tolerate a dead spot... hmm
edit2:
when haruhi left the room theres definately no evil blue bag in front of nagato anylonger!
edit3:
mikurus maid outfit seems to disappear sometimes too! ^^

btw. can anybody read what this sign means?! (shown between short pause of asakura trying to kill kyon for the first time)

or is it not important?

(well there are some other signs/boardtexts which are left untranslated... thanks to good it isnt that extreme like in PPD ^^)

Last edited by M.D. Geist; 2006-06-07 at 18:00.
Old 2006-06-07, 17:55   Link #242
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D. Geist
btw. can anybody read what this sign means?! (shown between short pause of asakura trying to kill kyon for the first time)

or is it not important?

(well there are some other signs/boardtexts which are left untranslated... thanks to good it isnt that extreme like in PPD ^^)
You should put the first picture in spoiler tags, because it really widened my browser screen (which is only at 1024 resolution.. yes, yes, 1280 is da nuu thing, but I have poor eyes). Regarding the carving on the table, it's not related to anyone in SOS, so it's not really important.

The umbrella carving, for those who are unfamiliar, is a phenomenon of Japanese culture where lovers (or admirers..) carve their names under the umbrella pictograph.. I suspect that the carving actually has to do with the little "backstory" throughout episode 10.

Notice that at the beginning of the ep where Haruhi has her head on the table, we see the clip of two students in athletic wear setting up a tennis net, and the girl being abit shy. Later, after the fight, when Haruhi talks to Kyon, the two students are on the school grounds, with the girl slapping the guy, pushing him to the floor and running off. To reconstruct this little story's timeline, we have to note that the slapping occurs the next day, and the guy goes "matte yooo T_T" after the girl b-slaps his bald ass. : B It seems plausible that the carving is related to this story.

Regarding Haruhi, her jealousy is quite adorable to me ; ) Of course, Kyon's aloofness about it can be quite frustrating.. I'd really like to see or know what her expression was as she left the room after Kyon kept Mikuru's pictures. I think that despite what was being said, Haruhi -didn't- know that Kyon kept those pictures.. Of course, that she bounces back incredibly the following day (this happens throughout the novel) is also quite a curious thing to me. I wonder what happens.

I'll note, also, that some people have qualms over Haruhi's "possession" of Kyon that doesn't allow the Mikuru/Kyon pairing. I won't pull in things like time paradoxes or fate, or any of the such since time travel used in this fashion is in itself entirely illogical. What I can say is that the Kyon x Haruhi x Mikuru relationship is abit more subtle than that.. at least it is so in the novel. I'd elaborate more, but you guys will just have to read the novels...

Also, it's nice to note that while Yuki's expression is stoic throughout the episode, including during Kyon's assessment that she "looks cuter/better" without her spectacles, Yuki actually stops wearing glasses from then on : O If you observe in episode 9 (Someday in the Rain, which is also chronologically last in the timeline), she doesn't wear glasses. If we combine that with the speculation that it was Yuki who put the first cardigan on Kyon, then...
Old 2006-06-07, 18:11   Link #243
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well to his defense, he is in a position where everyone around him appeases Haruhi to keep her stable or stand idle and observe her due to her incredable and dangerous potentials. Looking at this gnaws at the level headed and even handed Kyon. For him to approach the situation and act as he does is quite surprising as Haruhi is a major, but still only of the entire equation to the SOS question. The weight of any potential action is not lost to Kyon and that coupled with a genuine care is frustrating to no end.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-07, 18:36   Link #244
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226
Hmm, not that I think about it, I wonder if Haruhi was crying when Mikuru saw her.
I don't know if she was "crying" as per say, but she was definitely depressed.

Remember how Itsuki came in later and said he has part-time job?

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-07, 18:46   Link #245
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you remember in episode 4, the baseball episode, Itsuki receives a sudden call from his colleagues. You know, he sure has a busy job.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-07, 18:57   Link #246
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
If you remember in episode 4, the baseball episode, Itsuki receives a sudden call from his colleagues. You know, he sure has a busy job.
I mostly imagine his job involves progress reports back at headquarters, where the meeting requires everyone to wear silly masks and robes, and a lot of chanting.
Old 2006-06-07, 19:04   Link #247
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I mostly imagine his job involves progress reports back at headquarters, where the meeting requires everyone to wear silly masks and robes, and a lot of chanting.
haha is that where Haruhi's "urges" fits in?
actually forget about that, I'm thinking too much in terms of Da Vinci Code today
Old 2006-06-07, 19:10   Link #248
martino
makes no files now

One thing that makes me wonder is that Ryoko is a Data Integrity Device(or whatever you call them) as is Yuki. Someone here said that Yuki is the first one. How can Ryoko then show emotions unlike Yuki? Is it becuase she is a "newer" device?
And shouldn't Ryoko be superior to Yuki in her abilities as she is "newer" again?
Old 2006-06-07, 19:15   Link #249
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
One thing that makes me wonder is that Ryoko is a Data Integrity Device(or whatever you call them) as is Yuki. Someone here said that Yuki is the first one. How can Ryoko then show emotions unlike Yuki? Is it becuase she is a "newer" device?
And shouldn't Ryoko be superior to Yuki in her abilities as she is "newer" again?
As was stated in the episode, Asakura simply did a half-assed job isolating her data jurisdiction. That's the reason why Yuki was able to detect what I'm guessing to be an anomaly in normal space. It's also stated that Yuki spent the time before breaking into Asakura's data jurisdiction planting some sort of attack algorithm, therefore Yuki had the advantage simply because of preperation.
Old 2006-06-07, 19:25   Link #250
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea like a wizard, Yuki the magical alien spents MP('data') to cast spells('programs').

Yuki spent a good portion of her mp casting 'traps' on Asakura's closed space.

She probably also buffed herself with 'Touch of Doom' so that she deletes whatever data she touches.

There you have it, information conveyed in a form where most normal humans would understand.

Old 2006-06-07, 19:55   Link #251
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Yea like a wizard, Yuki the magical alien spents MP('data') to cast spells('programs').

Yuki spent a good portion of her mp casting 'traps' on Asakura's closed space.

She probably also buffed herself with 'Touch of Doom' so that she deletes whatever data she touches.

There you have it, information conveyed in a form where most normal humans would understand.
In that light, it's obvious why Asakura lost, she didn't do Haruhi's "MP-drain" dance
Old 2006-06-07, 20:01   Link #252
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
As I had watched this episode, I was kinda glad that KyoAni chose to shuffle the episodes. My friends would have thought that this series is boring if they got the watch the rest of the series after this climax, should it be aired in its more logical order.

I love Yuki since I saw her in the first episode (episode 00), but this one episode brought me the same kind of joy I felt when I watched the Grave vs Bunji fight in the 24th episode of Gungrave. The both duels shares the same "so good yet so short" groove.
Old 2006-06-07, 20:49   Link #253
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
This ep warped my mind for all eternity. I had to watch it twice to try pick up everything. Watching this episode iv learned that i have to throw a lot of my thories out the window. THere is something bigger going on then i think we all expected. Poor Kyon shit always happens to him but it was so damn funny watching him run for his life. Nagato was pretty cool im starting to like her more and more, and Kyon was right she looks better with out the glasses. I am still convinced that this is a huge experiment and Haruhi is the like the a program running and everyone else is support its like they are looking for an answer and thats why they need the data Also when Haruhi was talking about her urges i sware Kyon was going to explode. Did anyone else notice that Haruhi answered one of Kyons internal monologs he wasent speaking to her this has happen several times before where Kyon will be thinking to him self and Haruhi will say something to him like they were having a conversation has anyone else picked up on it?

Never thought anyone could look this cute while holding a knife.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/209916
Old 2006-06-07, 21:17   Link #254
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
This ep warped my mind for all eternity. I had to watch it twice to try pick up everything. Watching this episode iv learned that i have to throw a lot of my thories out the window. THere is something bigger going on then i think we all expected. Poor Kyon shit always happens to him but it was so damn funny watching him run for his life. Nagato was pretty cool im starting to like her more and more, and Kyon was right she looks better with out the glasses. I am still convinced that this is a huge experiment and Haruhi is the like the a program running and everyone else is support its like they are looking for an answer and thats why they need the data Also when Haruhi was talking about her urges i sware Kyon was going to explode. Did anyone else notice that Haruhi answered one of Kyons internal monologs he wasent speaking to her this has happen several times before where Kyon will be thinking to him self and Haruhi will say something to him like they were having a conversation has anyone else picked up on it?

Never thought anyone could look this cute while holding a knife.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/209916
lol you sound like you're talking about another show:

"This is an experiment... you have 108 minutes... when it starts to sound... type 4 8 15 16 23 42... and the counter will reset..."

And yea when Kyon speaks, you won't know whether he is actually speaking, whispering, thinking to himself/us or he accidentally blurted something. It's like this even in the novels. What's worse in the novels is that dialogues are there but rarely it tells you who's actually speaking, the dialogues themselves carry the tone of the characters. In the anime at least we hear different voices for each character and we know who's talking.

Old 2006-06-07, 21:17   Link #255
Alu
Guide my hand...

I hope I'm not too late to stand my review on this Episode.., I was kind of delayed due to other aspects in a certain other thread ^^
Anyway.., at least I got the chance to watch it about 3 times before writting this down

Needless to say though.., this to me was definitly the Best Haruhi episode so far; not that the others seemed short of great when compared to this one.., its just...

Well, for starters my Favorite Character in this Anime finaly makes her Debut; I am speaking of course.. of the "lovely" Asakura Ryoko

I do not pay much attention to spoilers regarding Haruhi.., this is a type of story that to me, is realy best watched when you learn the aspects as the story unfolds..; altough I belive all and all I already know more then I should

But a huge reason for this, was as I previously stated.. Asakura..; from the moment I saw her character, something realy told me that she would play a Great part in the development of the story.., that she was actualy something special and realy intriguing.
So.. I kind of gaved in and learned the true nature behind her..; which realy made me even like her Alot more

She in the end is probably the only "real" antagonist in Haruhi.., and this role on behalf of her personality & character.., I have to say.., stunned me compleatly..
The fact that she always carries out that serene attitude while portrayting an antagonistic role is just superb.., all of her character designs and aspects also come to emphasise on how realy that Role just is so perfect for her.

So.., in this episode we got to see her in all her splendor.., and for me.., that alone would already have been a 10 worthy note.

Never the less, I belive the real high-light here was the fight scene.., scene this that I have to say it was Definitly one of the Best that I have seen in most recent anime.
The animation, all character movements, the enviroment, the dialog.., everything fitted so well in such a perfection level it even scares me..; it was realy just... THAT good..

Altough with its end also came the end of my Asakura.., I belive that even her screen-time having been short.., all the aspects involved arround her (fight vs Yuki included) realy showed us that she got the level of attention she deserved.

Not taking away credit from Yuki aswell.., her development and now all the scenes in this episode realy come to emphasise how great of a character she has been aswell; in fact I belive we have to thank Yuki for the most spectacular scenes so far in Haruhi.
And this episode is just another piece of evidence of that

All and all in what relates to the paceing it was pretty good aswell, the episode developed itself at a nice rythm, having the climax at the middle, then conclusion so some questions and in the end a new aspect for us to wait in the up-comming episodes.
We also have to hand it to Kyon.., even when facing death through the sharp knife of a smiling face class-president.., he still always presented us with great inner-thoughts

On the last part regarding Mikuru I realy can't say much.., I kind of by accident read the story behind the "mole" aspect so it would be realy best as not to comment much on it...; never the less I found it very nice to see the Grown-version of Mikuru.., which in the end.. is just like the present Mikuru in all aspects(but taller )
I was intriguied though regarding the "hint" she gaved him.., to remember Snow White.., I guess that we will find out later on other episodes.

Finaly.., apart from the small animation mistakes like the "Icon", "Vid Screen wires" & "Evil Bag of Doom" which I saw posted here.., its still a episode in which..
If there was the possibility to grant a higher note then 10.., it most certanly deserved it
Old 2006-06-07, 22:01   Link #256
Pakxenon
popcorn

Yuki > Ryouko.

I'd say that Yuki is more superior than Ryouko for her power. Ryouko seems a little too carefree to undertake higher positions.

And that blue bag... really weird as it has been warping around everywhere since the start of the SOS Brigade back in Episode 2... The closed space in the Literature Club is really weird! ~_~
Old 2006-06-07, 22:15   Link #257
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon
Yuki > Ryouko.

I'd say that Yuki is more superior than Ryouko for her power. Ryouko seems a little too carefree to undertake higher positions.

And that blue bag... really weird as it has been warping around everywhere since the start of the SOS Brigade back in Episode 2... The closed space in the Literature Club is really weird! ~_~
its not really "closed" per-sa, since other besides Itsuki can enter it, its more like "local" space.....

I bet if they asked Yuki what happened to the bag she'll probably give you a number of how many times it moved on its own, and why. lolol

ah, I love Yuki, she's by far the best "Rei" type so far.
Old 2006-06-07, 23:17   Link #258
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm I was posting over the Gundam subforum.

And we mentioned Ruri of Nadesico, she's the Yuki equilvalent of the Mecha Universe. The White Fairy who hacks and disables like magic, sounds like Yuki to me lol

And yes, Yuki is the best 'Rei' type lol, my ranking:

1. Yuki
2. Ruri
3. Rei

For whether Yuki and Ryoko has more power, its a very hard topic to discuss. We don't know how exactly data entities manipulate data. You see, shouldn't Ryoko be able to 'delete' Yuki with a touch as well? If the data entities can manipulate data in any way, why did Ryoko choose to do physical damage directly?

Also I'm thinking Ryoko could be a program created by Yuki to be her backup, Yuki probably calculated the risks of this program to disobey her so she limited Ryoko's abilities.

Old 2006-06-07, 23:27   Link #259
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:

For whether Yuki and Ryoko has more power, its a very hard topic to discuss. We don't know how exactly data entities manipulate data. You see, shouldn't Ryoko be able to 'delete' Yuki with a touch as well? If the data entities can manipulate data in any way, why did Ryoko choose to do physical damage directly?
Also, why didn't Ryoko just make a gun and shoot Kyon. Or even, just make him die. Or kill him quickly with a desk early on. Why a knife?
Old 2006-06-07, 23:32   Link #260
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

She tried to kill him the whole time with the desks lol, all the spikes/ crystals are desks and chairs.

Closed Thread