Notices

Old 2009-11-25, 13:43   Link #1861
poko-kun

Or Aoba forgot to lock the door.

BTW, I really like his smile.
Spoiler for cheese:
Old 2009-11-25, 13:53   Link #1862
Nosauz

Na azuma's best smile is when he sees kou pitching, and he's got that helmet covering his eyes and this smirk crosses his face.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 15:28   Link #1863
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Na azuma's best smile is when he sees kou pitching, and he's got that helmet covering his eyes and this smirk crosses his face.
I feel like smirking is the only kind of smiling Azuma ever does. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 2009-11-25, 15:32   Link #1864
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I feel like smirking is the only kind of smiling Azuma ever does. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
well the smirk just oozes confidence, and that's what makes him super gar, like no joke I've never been this gay over two adachi male characters ever. Hiro, kazuya don't even hold a flame next azuma, and kou. It's ridiculous.
Old 2009-11-25, 17:44   Link #1865
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
I just wonder how Azuma got in.
This being Japan, I am- no wait.

This being a Japanese suburb, I am pretty su- one more time.

This being a Japanese suburb stuck in Adachi's we-never-really-left-Shôwa World, I am pretty sure the "lock" consists of a sign on the door saying "sorry we're closed".
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:10   Link #1866
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post

This being a Japanese suburb stuck in Adachi's we-never-really-left-Shôwa World, I am pretty sure the "lock" consists of a sign on the door saying "sorry we're closed".
Yep, back in that time kids could wander around freely and be assured that they could return safely, even if asking a stranger for help.
Old 2009-11-26, 01:03   Link #1867
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post

Considering how ubiquitous the mobile handphone is today in Japan amongst teenagers, notice that there are no mobile handphones showing up at all in the show. Incredible, huh? But in Adachi's Cross Game world, it's like the mobile handphone does not exist.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 01:08   Link #1868
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Considering how ubiquitous the mobile handphone is today in Japan amongst teenagers, notice that there are no mobile handphones showing up at all in the show. Incredible, huh? But in Adachi's Cross Game world, it's like the mobile handphone does not exist.
I for one don't mind, it kind of brings the entire series into a more quiet time, if you had all those things well, the character would be different. Do note that there seem to be no computers which would something at least essential to kitamura sports supplies.
Old 2009-11-26, 01:49   Link #1869
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
I love that aspect of it. It just brings back that great setting and atmosphere of classic romance anime like Maison Ikkoku, Touch....even if it isn't completely realistic. I think Adachi is just writing to his own experiences growing up though.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 02:32   Link #1870
jpwong

I actually kind of like seeing "modern" worlds that are still set back a decade or so when many of technologies we take for granted today simply weren't available to the average consumer. It gives it a more nostalgic feel.

You have to consider though, if he's drawing on his own life experiences, all this high technology that we have today wasn't around back then, and it might not make sense to try and merge a world from decades back into the high speed high tech world you see now.

Besides, I think it's great for the plot if people can't just whip out a cellphone anytime they need help with something.
Old 2009-11-26, 03:08   Link #1871
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I love how Akaichi makes excuses that all baseball club members carry a baseball. That's so sly of Adachi, to try to explain away a total cliche of baseball players conveniently having a baseball in a pinch though a joke. heh
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 05:51   Link #1872
xKeen

Oh my god I just can't help posting this.Episode 24 the coach said "If Miya swung like last year ,even a typhoon wouldn't have carried it across the fence".That.Was.Hilarious.And I like the loli cheer

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 07:23   Link #1873
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I love how Akaichi makes excuses that all baseball club members carry a baseball. That's so sly of Adachi, to try to explain away a total cliche of baseball players conveniently having a baseball in a pinch though a joke. heh
That's probably why they don't have cellphones -- no room in their pockets.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 07:32   Link #1874
Ansalem
Speaker

The former manager/future movie star seems to have a cell phone. Or at least that's what it looks like to me: a cell phone with a video screen and internet. I suppose it could be a really weird looking mini TV. She's the only one that I can think of with one though.
Spoiler for space:
Old 2009-11-26, 08:07   Link #1875
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
The former manager/future movie star seems to have a cell phone. Or at least that's what it looks like to me: a cell phone with a video screen and internet. I suppose it could be a really weird looking mini TV. She's the only one that I can think of with one though.
Spoiler for space:
shit your right... maybe thats why she's all stuck up, because all the other characters don't ;p biiii
Old 2009-11-26, 08:18   Link #1876
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

I'm pretty sure that part was added in by the TV folks.
Old 2009-11-26, 09:05   Link #1877
poko-kun

Mobile phone does exist in Cross game world.
In manga, Kou also has a PSP. ^^

Last edited by poko-kun; 2009-11-26 at 09:45.
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 09:31   Link #1878
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
Mobile phone does exits in Cross game world.
In manga, Kou also has a PSP. ^^
It's in the show too.

Old 2009-11-26, 09:41   Link #1879
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It's more of a poetic license, really. I don't think some of the story elements would work all that well with all these technological advancements. But they work well in small doses, I think.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 09:45   Link #1880
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
It's more of a poetic license, really. I don't think some of the story elements would work all that well with all these technological advancements. But they work well in small doses, I think.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. For example, Senda's little adventure of looking for everyone while they were actually at his house wouldn't work if they just used cell phones. But it's much funnier to have that story the way it was without worrying about it.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports