Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-23, 19:56   Link #2641
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite
Anyone notice that the awakening of the sea kids is somehow related to Miuna wanting them to return? Especially when this episode when Manaka wakes up because
Miuna accepts that she should wake up?
Maybe she is a god scale and that's why she got along with Uroko, heck, maybe Uroko sees himself on Miuna.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 20:32   Link #2642
deadite

Sayu did say that someone with strong feelings can make things happen. I bet we were supposed to think it was Hikari, but it's actually Miuna.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 22:59   Link #2643
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Sayu did say that someone with strong feelings can make things happen. I bet we were supposed to think it was Hikari, but it's actually Miuna.
MiunaXManaka pairing anyone?
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 23:30   Link #2644
deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
MiunaXManaka pairing anyone?
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 23:35   Link #2645
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
but for what i remember miuna "true feelings" are for manaka keep sleep forever or until she can steal hikari , them for her manaka could not be awake

maybe manaka "feel" her "steal intent" and awake to not giver her a chance to steal her hotheaded brat
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 03:42   Link #2646
Gohan78
Awakened One

I don't see how Miuna's feelings for Hikari are any different than Manaka's or Chisaki's feelings in the first half. They are all teenage girls in love. The idea that Manaka or Chisaki "deserve" Hikari more because they have known him for their whole life is preposterous. Love doesn't work like that. If anything, Manaka was more annoying to me in the first half because I can't stand crybaby characters.

At this point I suspect that the Miuna haters are just shipping Hikari with Manaka and see Miuna as the third wheel. Nobody acknowledged the fact that Miuna was even willing to let Hikari kiss Manaka if this served to wake her up.

A character like Kaname is also completely defined by his feelings for Chisaki, yet I don't see anyone complaining about him.

Okada isn't making the plot along the way. The time skip was planned well in advance. I think the series was conceived as a double-protagonist show, where Hikari is the main character of the first half and Miuna is the main character of the second half. Her crush on Hikari was hinted early on and she had a couple of episodes primarily dedicated to her (the one where she ran away from home and the one where they went to buy a present for Akari). She didn't become the main character through contrived means or because P.A. Works wanted to sell BDs to lolicons. It's just sad that some people may think that.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 04:57   Link #2647
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I enjoy Miuna's development! #TeamMiuna all the way!

PS. Manaka's expression upon waking was hilarious!
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 05:52   Link #2648
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I don't see how Miuna's feelings for Hikari are any different than Manaka's or Chisaki's feelings in the first half. They are all teenage girls in love. The idea that Manaka or Chisaki "deserve" Hikari more because they have known him for their whole life is preposterous. Love doesn't work like that. If anything, Manaka was more annoying to me in the first half because I can't stand crybaby characters.

At this point I suspect that the Miuna haters are just shipping Hikari with Manaka and see Miuna as the third wheel. Nobody acknowledged the fact that Miuna was even willing to let Hikari kiss Manaka if this served to wake her up.

A character like Kaname is also completely defined by his feelings for Chisaki, yet I don't see anyone complaining about him.

Okada isn't making the plot along the way. The time skip was planned well in advance. I think the series was conceived as a double-protagonist show, where Hikari is the main character of the first half and Miuna is the main character of the second half. Her crush on Hikari was hinted early on and she had a couple of episodes primarily dedicated to her (the one where she ran away from home and the one where they went to buy a present for Akari). She didn't become the main character through contrived means or because P.A. Works wanted to sell BDs to lolicons. It's just sad that some people may think that.
This.

It seems to me that people want to hate on Miuna because she's not Manaka, whereas I think Manaka was immensely annoying and whiny in the first half of the show, and I dreaded the moment where she would wake up.

To them I ask, what has Manaka done for Hikari that makes her 'deserve' him more than Miuna?
Old 2014-02-24, 07:49   Link #2649
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think the hate is going overboard but I can at least empathise with how some with think Miuna is the weakest link, even if I have different reasons for why that may be.

In my opinion it's the way in which it's written that makes things difficult. Miuna's unrequited love hasn't had any major impact on any other characters. With Hikari (object of her unrequited love) the only meaningful interactions that its lead to is the bit at the end of Episode 15 and a small part in Episode 18. It also had a really good one in this most recent episode, with Hikari and Miuna getting into an argument (perhaps the most meaningful yet) but so far all these interactions have been for the short term. There's little feeling of a long term effect. Chisaki was in the exact same position in the first cour that Miuna is in now and her unrequited love similarly had scarce interactions between her and Hikari, but her unrequited love had long term implications towards Manaka and Kaname as well as a few telling interactions with Tsumugu. Kaname's unrequited love didn't have any long terms implications at first but then he was barely focused on to begin with so it didn't matter, and when it did focus on him the interactions were never short term (i.e. the confession and how he drove everyone else to confess). Miuna has also had interactions with Sayu about her unrequited love but it doesn't seem to me like their friendship is going to explored in the long term.

Right now Miuna's unrequited love is far too insular for something that's about a relationship, and this will naturally lead to the mistaken perception that Miuna's unrequited love is somehow irrelevant, so I can at least understand that line of reasoning. I don't think other critcisms are based in reality though. Hogging the screentime? She's been sharing her time with Hikari and it's been roughly split even. Too contrived because of time skip? The time skip is far too relevant to everyone else for to be considered solely for the sake of one character. Only there to pander? 5 seconds of pocky stick eating does not make you a moeblob...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 07:55   Link #2650
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
To them I ask, what has Manaka done for Hikari that makes her 'deserve' him more than Miuna?
Well, she got him to fall in love with her. So there's that. And I say this as a Miuna fan.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 08:15   Link #2651
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I'm actually laughing at how pathetic shipping wars have gotten, particularly it comes to Miuna haters or its defenders. Personally I don't really mind her, but I've seen hilariously bad insults being hurled at her and her competitors on both sides of the fence. The haters call her moeblob and a interference to the OTP Manaka x Hikari or w/e ship or crackship they are sailing on, while the rabid defenders are still hating on Hikari, Manaka and think she is uguu or kawaii.

It's a damn shame to say this, but the series has once degraded to its original wangstfest levels that plagued the first half of the first cour. I don't give a damn about this ship and that ship or who is in love with who or which teen is having a emo love spasm at which period of the day. Goddamn it, am I watching the OC or One Tree Hill with anime characters?

That's the problem with this show, not some tug of war bulldust about Miuna being best girl or worst girl. In my eyes all the characters with the exception of maybe Hikari is bad being lovestruck over stupid teenage love even though there was a bloody 5 year time skip. Chisaki is a bloody shotacon for a younger Hikari. Miuna is having a sad because she can't compete with Manaka. Tsugumu is trying to be a nice guy and paying the price and still refuses to act. Kaname is... I don't what this guy is doing tbh though I wouldn't be surprised if went Higurashi yangire mode at some point.

Seriously, stop...it...with...this...romance...wangst...and melodrama.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 08:19   Link #2652
Huepute

I think Manaka does care a lot about Hikari in the first part of NagiAsu but that part is nothing much to show bcuz she doesn't in the stage of "in love with Hikari" like Miuna has. Anyway, even in that just friend stage she already done a lot for Hikari (even not count about she sacrify herself instead of Akari).

NakiAsu for me is one of the headaches anime, I just feel upset with the first part that try to portray Hikari*Manaka*Tsumuku in the Poster or PV but then nothing

Instead of that they just mix every characters in the game of love which I have no point to focus seriously! I just keep watching it bcuz I want to know what will happen at the end but I just can't develop deep feeling for any character anymore and I feel sad

I wanna cheer for Manaka*Hikari or Manaka*Tsumuku from the start but now ... I feel so tiresome

I basically used to dislike Chisaki before but for now it does't matter bcuz it's no point for me to feel for anything in this anime ... I feel so dry/dead inside and just waitting to see the end. Hopefully good ending without ruin Manaka anymore
Huepute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 11:47   Link #2653
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I think people are getting the wrong idea here. The question is NOT which character 'deserves' to be together with another character... that's just an exercise in futility, considering we can argue with each other till the end of time since it's all subjective. (Believe me, I can go on FOREVER ranting about how certain childhood friends in other shows DESERVE to win over the actual 'winner', but I digress...)

No, the question, if anything related to shipping, should be which character has their love reciprocated in the end. Considering the creative minds behind the series, the plot direction, and the current state of the character's feelings right now, which do you think will have their feelings returned by the conclusion of the show?

So step back a minute. We all have our favourites in the show, and that's fine, and it's fine to say who it is. But honestly, using that as the basis to predict whether or not a certain couple will be together in the end usually ends pretty badly... unless of course you yourself are part of the creative team behind this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's a damn shame to say this, but the series has once degraded to its original wangstfest levels that plagued the first half of the first cour. I don't give a damn about this ship and that ship or who is in love with who or which teen is having a emo love spasm at which period of the day. Goddamn it, am I watching the OC or One Tree Hill with anime characters?
Not gonna lie, that is exactly one of the reasons why I absolutely love Okada's works. Although I'd say she's closer to Dawson's Creek myself... well, minus the ending part of course, which I'd say she's more like the opposite.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 13:56   Link #2654
Kakurin
大佐

An issue I have with all this relationship business is that there is virtually no mutual loving pair this deep into the series. This leaves a problem (at least for me) that every pairing that occurs by the end of Nagi no Asukara will inevitably have the feeling of "second-best", unless the previous feelings are completely invalidated which would leave a bad taste. Of course one can make the valid objection that most of them are 14 year old children and as such their "love" is but a childish crush. Yes, but that's fiction we are talking about and if something persists until episode 20+ out of 26 then I wouldn't put it into that category.

So, for any pairing to happen at least one person has to have a change of heart, which presents a serious challenge with this few episodes remaining. I like Chisaki and would I like to see her feelings towards Hikari reciprocated? Of course, but then again I wouldn't like the feeling of second-best solution that would inevitably arise because of Hikari's love towards Manaka. A pairing with Miuna would create the same problem, as would a pairing with Manaka (only with Hikari's roles reversed). A similar problem would befall a Chisaki / Kaname pairing or a Kaname / Sayu one just to name another example. But on the other hand an ending with nobody getting together with anybody would be seriously dissatisfying, so it's kind of a dilemma here. Of course, if the staff comes up with a way to bring people together without either of those problems arising, then I can only take my hat off to them.
Old 2014-02-24, 14:24   Link #2655
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I'm actually laughing at how pathetic shipping wars have gotten, particularly it comes to Miuna haters or its defenders. Personally I don't really mind her, but I've seen hilariously bad insults being hurled at her and her competitors on both sides of the fence. The haters call her moeblob and a interference to the OTP Manaka x Hikari or w/e ship or crackship they are sailing on, while the rabid defenders are still hating on Hikari, Manaka and think she is uguu or kawaii.
Except my dislike of Miuna's integration into the story in the 2nd cour has nothing to do with perceived romantic pairings.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 18:57   Link #2656
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
... I'm not saying you have to like her, but seeing the same complaints raised every week Miuna gets a lot of screentime is getting tiresome (I'm not talking about you in particular). ...
Must say the same. I'm also quite tired to read the heated discussion that seems always repeated each weeks whenever Miuna comes to the lime light. I'm not saying that the opinions is wrong or unimportant. But please, If you need the urge to vent your negativity, please put it in the "TLDR" tags, "SPOILER" tags or something along of that way. So we could discuss the episode neutrally, positively, and with more insight about the story, the episode, the setting, the hidden message, or many other interesting things.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 20:50   Link #2657
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I leave for a bit and some tensions have grown
I wonder if Kaname will eventually give up. He seems so dead set on Chisaki, but she seems to never have given him the time of day.
OT: Did someone mention Dawson's Creek? Yikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Except my dislike of Miuna's integration into the story in the 2nd cour has nothing to do with perceived romantic pairings.
I agree with you. I'm also the same. But, I wasn't a fan of her since the 1st half.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 21:54   Link #2658
kresslia
I dunno what to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Same. I don't give a single crap about the Hikari/Manaka/Miuna "triangle" (barely even a triangle).

Also, at this point the show really has become a 7/10 for me. It was a 9/10 after the first episode of the timeskip.
kresslia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 02:39   Link #2659
Gohan78
Awakened One

To stop this argument about romantic pairings, let's talk about the possible future developments. Despite my love for Miuna, I see many signs that she is going to become the next bride of the Sea God.

1. Uroko only showed himself before Miuna, while he refuses to meet Hikari and the others. He also asked if Miuna loves the ocean.
2. "When something is gained, something else is lost". Could be referring to Manaka losing her Ena while Miuna gained one but could also mean that Miuna is going to take Manaka's place as the Sea God's bride.
3. The water is getting colder and colder. Could mean that the Sea God is enraged for being robbed of his wife, or he is simply losing his power without Manaka in his grasp.
4. Miuna "wants to protect [Hikari's] smile". Hikari is the most cheerful when he is together with Manaka, so there is a possibility that Miuna sacrifices herself in Manaka's place.

I certainly hope that those are just red herrings and Okada pulls a happy end, but this is what I am lead to believe so far. What do you think?
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 11:17   Link #2660
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

All signs are pointing to Miuna becoming the bride of the Sea God so I think what will happen. However, that doesn't necessarily mean she'll get a bad ending. Miuna loves the sea, and if those feelings are stronger than her feelings for Hikari, she might be able to do what Manaka and the first wife of the Sea god weren't able to: give up on their former love and the surface, and live happily in the sea with the Sea God. The problem is that the Sea God has been portrayed as kind of an asshole in the show, but maybe he isn't such a bad guy. Uroko, his scale, is pretty cool after all. That would still require a sacrifice on Miuna's part (bye bye family) but she may still be happy in the end.

At any rate, unless the story pulls a complete 180, Miuna won't end up with Hikari, that much I am certain of.

Maybe I'm hopelessly optimistic, but I think all the characters are going to get good endings. Hikari with Manaka, Tsumugu with Chisaki, Kaname with Sayu, and Uroko with Miuna. They'll need to pack a lot of developments in the remaining episodes though, but it's feasible.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen