AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-11-29, 07:54   Link #1
EpyonEmerald

[GSD] Yes, I know, but Shinn is the main character...

He looked damned pretty for looking up into the stars in Phase 6, and in Phase 7 he used Three words, But no matter what you do, He is the main character,

20 minutes in the episode, and I would give 19 of them up if he would talk for one minute. Screw Shinn, I like him, But I don't love him. Why not bring back Mwu? Anways, Whats the deal? Do they not want to pay him? Or is it just making us wanna watch the next episode, he's said three words in the whole series and he's been in two episodes, thats just lame. Kira owns all, you CAN'T have Kira in the series if you want another main male role. Did we care about Athrun in Seed? I know I rarely did.
EpyonEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 10:06   Link #2
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Send a message via AIM to [UKE]Auel Send a message via MSN to [UKE]Auel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonEmerald
Did we care about Athrun in Seed? I know I rarely did.
I hear that. I was never a fan of Athrun in the first series even though he was a good plot device, and I was somewhat disappointed when I heard he'd be back. Kira no tameni.
[UKE]Auel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 10:09   Link #3
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I love Athrun...and I hated Kira...

So i guess it's just personal taste
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 10:48   Link #4
Godtype
Face it.

I agree with you entirely. Kira still feels like the main character, but Shinn really is. This is what happens when you replace a decent hero character(Kira) with an angsting 'elite'(Shinn).
Godtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 11:50   Link #5
brightman
Ancient Member

People, people... There's a reason this show is called "Gundam Seed Destiny". Because its NOT "Gundam Seed". If you want Kira you watch Gundam Seed. His story is over in this show.

And Shinn NEVER angsts. Get this in your minds. Kira = ANGST. Shinn is called ANGER. ANGER is not the same thing as ANGST. Its quite the opposite (in terms of the mecha pilot personality scale) actually.
Old 2004-11-29, 12:40   Link #6
Esper 28
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
And Shinn NEVER angsts. Get this in your minds. Kira = ANGST. Shinn is called ANGER. ANGER is not the same thing as ANGST. Its quite the opposite (in terms of the mecha pilot personality scale) actually.
I agree. And to show the others that you're right, I'll quote Merriam-Webster's Online dictionary. I chopped out the pronunciation, function, and etymology since they're not needed.

Quote:
Main Entry: angst
: a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity
Sounds a lot like Kira...

Quote:
Main Entry: anger
1 : a strong feeling of displeasure and usually of antagonism
2 : RAGE
Sounds a little more like what you feel after your family gets blown up.

However...
I do agree with everyone else that Shinn hasn't exactly been portrayed as the main character as of yet. But I believe later down the road, he'll turn it up a notch and actually play a major part. I believe he has the potential, motivation, and style. I actually thought he was pretty cool in Episode 7.

"Like, 'Help me now, you bastard!" or something." <-- great line, heheh.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 12:45   Link #7
Godtype
Face it.

Quote:
People, people... There's a reason this show is called "Gundam Seed Destiny". Because its NOT "Gundam Seed". If you want Kira you watch Gundam Seed. His story is over in this show.

Nice job blowing a few scenes completely out of proportion. And oh yeah, even Athrun in his Zaku did better than Shinn in the last battle.

Keep your new 'hero' and try to make it seem like Kira was too busy crying like 'a drowned rat' to happen to kill the main villian and end the battle of JD.
Old 2004-11-29, 13:02   Link #8
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtype
Nice job blowing a few scenes completely out of proportion. And oh yeah, even Athrun in his Zaku did better than Shinn in the last battle

Keep your new 'hero' and try to make it seem like Kira was too busy crying like 'a drowned rat' to happen to kill the main villian and end the battle of JD.
It's not blowing out of proportion. "Angsty" is a character trait commonly associated with many mecha pilots. Kira falls under this category... The opposite would be "Hot-Blooded", which indicates a person whose testosterone level keeps going up and up as he/she fights. Shinn is like that. Pilots skills have nothing to do with it either.

And geez, comparing 50 episodes of accomplishment for Kira and 7 episodes of accomplishments for Shinn is a bit unfair, don't you think? Kira didn't do much after 7 episodes either.
Old 2004-11-29, 13:13   Link #9
Godtype
Face it.

Quote:
It's not blowing out of proportion. "Angsty" is a character trait commonly associated with many mecha pilots. Kira falls under this category... The opposite would be "Hot-Blooded", which indicates a person whose testosterone level keeps going up and up as he/she fights. Shinn is like that. Pilots skills have nothing to do with it either.

And geez, comparing 50 episodes of accomplishment for Kira and 7 episodes of accomplishments for Shinn is a bit unfair, don't you think? Kira didn't do much after 7 episodes either.
You're right, Kira was mainly fighting ALONE without much decent help except Mwu, but he was usually off doing something else and leaving the main battle to Kira. He didn't have an actual type, of course he would cry when people important to him died and couldn't protect them, but he wouldn't hold a grudge against Athrun for killing Tohru or senselessly slaughter ZAFT's just because they destroyed Heliopolis. Shinn isn't 'hot-blooded', nor is his anger justified. He's being selfish and lashing out at anyone that he thinks is affiliated with his pain.

Did either Athrun or Kira use their friends dying as an excuse to be complete assholes?

No.
Old 2004-11-29, 14:34   Link #10
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Kira never had any special military training. For a guy like him to get involved in such major decisive battles he does have a very strong mind not to commit suicide.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 14:53   Link #11
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

I like Kira, but I also hate him. Kira was so unbelieveable it hurt. He could jump into a mobile suit without any training and fight better than seasoned vetrens. That's just lame, very lame. I know he's a super coor, but that doesn't mean he's good at everything without work. I hate characters who can just be magicaly good at everything. Poor Shinn lost his family in a way Kira never had to go through, they were blown apart right in front of him. Kira lost friends, but he never had to see their mangled bodies, he never was so close he could touch them. The image Shinn has to live with is so distrubing I suprised he was able to bear it. He wants to fight so no one has to suffer something like that, Shinn is a good character. He doesn't act like a jerk, he acts human.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 15:36   Link #12
Godtype
Face it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne
I like Kira, but I also hate him. Kira was so unbelieveable it hurt. He could jump into a mobile suit without any training and fight better than seasoned vetrens. That's just lame, very lame. I know he's a super coor, but that doesn't mean he's good at everything without work. I hate characters who can just be magicaly good at everything. Poor Shinn lost his family in a way Kira never had to go through, they were blown apart right in front of him. Kira lost friends, but he never had to see their mangled bodies, he never was so close he could touch them. The image Shinn has to live with is so distrubing I suprised he was able to bear it. He wants to fight so no one has to suffer something like that, Shinn is a good character. He doesn't act like a jerk, he acts human.
How does piloting an MS prevent people from that same fate he had? His family was killed accidentally by Freedom, do you think it would be any different? How surprised will he be when he creates another kid with a grudge like him?

You're saying Kira didn't have any trauma to deal with? He was fighting against his very people, Coordinators, his best friend.. He did practically ANYTHING to make it hard on himself, just because it was the right thing to do. There's really no comparison between the two, Shinn is a simple character fabricated to somewhat fill the role that Kira left, yet he's not fighting alone.. He doesn't have all of the responsibility placed on him like Kira did.

And how does he prevent people from suffering by being an MS pilot?

At least Kira had a reason to fight, he had people to protect, not a grudge to hold onto.
Old 2004-11-29, 15:48   Link #13
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

Shinn fights because he knows without someone willing to fight, like Orb, people will die. It has nothing to do with a grudge. His family died because Orb refused to fight. He believes that if Orb had fought not as many would have died.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 16:52   Link #14
Godtype
Face it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne
Shinn fights because he knows without someone willing to fight, like Orb, people will die. It has nothing to do with a grudge. His family died because Orb refused to fight. He believes that if Orb had fought not as many would have died.
If Orb had allied with either ZAFT or EA, it would have caused a slaughter and let's just get something straight: He hasn't established any beliefs except that he hates the former leadership of Orb, somehow twisting it so that if they had allied with one side, they would have lived.

Poppycock.
Old 2004-11-29, 17:01   Link #15
Retsoor

Quote:
.. and that vexes me. I don't feel like Kira's personal journey ended anywhere in Gundam Seed, he had no fixed end there. Most series end just after the hero has "reformed" himself and we see how he changed. In the end of Seed Flay dies and Kira goes overboard on his emotions and next up he's floating in space. It provided closure to the story but not to the character.

In other words, I'd really like to see if Kira's other testicle has descended yet in Seed Destiny.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 17:04   Link #16
Godtype
Face it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor
.. and that vexes me. I don't feel like Kira's personal journey ended anywhere in Gundam Seed, he had no fixed end there. Most series end just after the hero has "reformed" himself and we see how he changed. In the end of Seed Flay dies and Kira goes overboard on his emotions and next up he's floating in space. It provided closure to the story but not to the character.

In other words, I'd really like to see if Kira's other testicle has descended yet in Seed Destiny.
They should kill off Lacus and have him go rogue.

Complete slaughter of both EA and ZAFT MS Pilots = Interesting.

Cookie-cutting storyline with Kira continually holding himself back = Boring.
Old 2004-11-29, 17:17   Link #17
Kageh
Union Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli
I love Athrun...and I hated Kira...

So i guess it's just personal taste

I like Athrun. He seems the most realistic of all the characters in SEED and is the person I can relate to the most.

He really had some tough decisions to make. Despite feeling trapped and being torn between his ideals and duty he was still a very compassionate, kind-hearted person. For him the answers didn't come as easily as they seemed to for the other characters and he suffered the most because of that. He was and still is my favorite character.

Kira and Lacus are just way too strong. Especially Lacus, but I guess they strengthen each other. Idealistic and with the power to make a difference. They aren't stupid either, they know the risks. Lacus is fucking crazy to hand Freedom over to Kira and selflessly throw away her privledged life on plant. Kira... shit... the man is the very definition of the word "hero". I can admire them and their actions, but in no way relate to what they are doing. It's beyond what most people are capable of.
Kageh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 17:19   Link #18
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Shinn really have a problem.Kira say 3 words and the world stop.The few times we see Shinn is yelling at Cagalli.Seriously in 7 ep we had plenty of time to understand that he don't like Cagalli but nothing else.Of course the fact that a war hero is on the same ship don't help.
Old 2004-11-29, 17:22   Link #19
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Did we care about Athrun in Seed?
hmm... 70% of the SEED watchers are females, and females love Athrun. I don't care much about Athrun (nor Kira) in SEED, but I know countless fangirls scream at the sight of Athrun And when female fans constitute 70% of the total amount of SEED watchers, it basically is a fangirl's show...

Quote:
This I totally agree, however Shinn is not exactly hotblood either, since he goes "huh? why I can't hit them? how can they use the Gundams so well? why? this makes no sense!" instead of "Star of Heaven, Flower of Earth, Love of People, I'm the warrior of Love and Justice!"

Quote:
of course he would cry when people important to him died and couldn't protect them, but he wouldn't hold a grudge against Athrun for killing Tohru
well, that was after he met up with the Goddess, Lacus. Just wait for Shinn to meet Lacus and I'm sure after a few divine words from her he'll be reborn into a warrior of love and justice just like Kira and Athrun did.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 18:23   Link #20
EpyonEmerald

Two Things

The First Thing Is Admins changed my topic, how lame. My topic was, Kiras one line (forgot what it was now).

The Second Thing is,

Kira's story over? Screw that, Thats like saying Luke story was over in the first movie. Kira needs to learn about hate, he still hasnt got pshyco, Shinn is just boring hes only said one good line and it was a joke, Kira will take center stage again just wait and see.
EpyonEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote