AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-09-30, 19:37   Link #1
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Duets Karaoke Competition III

After many days procr-- I mean, planning, I decided to warn the masses that the next karaoke competition will be held soon. How soon, you ask? Very soon. Like this month (depending on your time zone, "this month" might be a different month altogether). As I had people asking about it, I decided to post the basic stuff so they'll know what they have to work with. I'm still working on where the entries has to be sent, format, etc, but guess what--- the rules are out! Hum... I'm not making sense right now.
As the dates will change, please check this thread often for updates!

I was lazy so I copied the rules from the last one. Minor changes here and there though. And please, please read the rules, and if you don't understand or need clarification, you can either post it here or ask me. I won't bite (not yet, anyway).

Rules
Important info will be bolded for no reason whatsoever.

1. This is a duet karaoke, so that means that two different people has to sing (if more than 2, please contact me and we'll see).
2. Vocal track must be recorded in one take!! This is one of the most important rules ever! If I wanted a perfect record, I can just listen to the original track. So please, record the vocal track in one take!!
3. Do not use any effects (double voice, change of pitch/tempo, background sound effect, pitch tweaker, echo, etc). If you are not sure what is allowed and what is not, ask me. If it sounds remotely like an effect was used, don't be surprised when I come knocking your inbox demanding what's up with this and so on.
4. You may enter with as many as 3 entries. You don't have to submit 3 if you can't/don't have a partner/don't feel like it.
5. mp3 format is preferred but not required. Just don't send me some obscure format that no one uses except you (we all know that re-encoding something multiple times degrades the quality, right?). That and my computer's on the verge of dying.
6. Any song from an anime/game can be used, even if the original was not a duet. Character songs are allowed as well. About drama: if there is an equivalent show that is in anime form, you may use that song. For example, Nodame Cantabile has both drama and anime (and manga, but I have yet to see a manga that has a theme song). PS: I check songs to see where they come from.
7. Karaoke tracks are preferred but if you can't find one, you may sing over it but yours and your partner's voice *must be* louder than the original singer's. If you have difficulty finding a karaoke track and you know for sure it exists, ask me and we'll see.
8. Tracks should be tagged with the title of the song and the name of the participants. I noticed that people don't like to tag stuff. Why won't you tag them! Why!! It just makes me angry when I have to look your name up (and specially when there is no name whatsoever, I don't have your voices memorized!). The format for the tagging is (nickname1)(nickname2) - Song title (from what anime/game is it. Break this and I shall send forth my zombie army upon you!
9. Anybody can participate (forums, IRC, family, random people from random places) as long as they follow the rules.
10. Songs do not have to be in japanese - it can be in english, latin, russian, etc as long as the song is from an anime/game. Opening/ending songs that has been officially translated are also accepted (for example, the english version of the opening for Inuyasha).
11. The entries will be broadcasted on the net (shoutcast) and also distributed as a torrent. By entering, you are basically giving me the file to do whatever I want with it (ooooh, I can mass-produce a CD, then sell it when you become famous!).

The entries will be judged by our usual panelists (unless they're not available) as well as the winner of the last competition (if they want to). Of course, the general population will also get a chance to nominate their best choice. I'm thinking of adding more categories, but prizes will still go to the top first one because I'm low on funds (like always). What? Prizes! Yes, prizes! But people are doing it for the glory of it, I believe. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
Oh, yea, the winners will get the chance to be a guest judge for the next competition if they wish to. Here's something to aspire for!

Deadline will be at the end of October, most likely. I'm still working out the scheduling with some other people, so just know that it'll be soon. With this, happy singing~

PS: If, for some unknown reason, you want to talk to me, I'm on IRC (kcl822/Kestra@synirc.net). PM works as well.

EDIT: Deadline for entries is October 31st, 2007 at 11:59p.m. EST!!
EDIT2: To upload an entry, go to http://karacom.animesuki.info

Broadcast will be on November 3rd.
Non-competing entries: 11 a.m. EST.
Competing entries: 1 p.m. EST.

Shoutcast server:
128 (provided by schadowfox): http://88.198.134.110:8000
48 (provided by flan): http://hamsterx.homelinux.org:8000/

Last edited by kcl822; 2007-11-03 at 09:21.
kcl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 23:11   Link #2
GipFace

~

Wai~

Hopefully this time I can sing with a female

But I'm going to sing with Shinji again nonetheless............
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 00:59   Link #3
Chibi Nasu
Katsu~n wa Hyoutei

Send a message via AIM to Chibi Nasu Send a message via MSN to Chibi Nasu Send a message via Yahoo to Chibi Nasu
Noooo, October makes it hard. I can't really afford to go home to record until November! *starts begging family and friends for money*

Oh, is there going to be noncomp entries this time around, too?
Chibi Nasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 03:40   Link #4
basket
World's first BBSing cat

Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket
Ooh... duets season~

*starts looking for partners including a certain blob*
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 05:45   Link #5
Silasj
SOS団 Member

Send a message via AIM to Silasj Send a message via MSN to Silasj
Yay it's finally here

*runs off to find a partner*
Old 2007-10-01, 19:33   Link #6
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

yay! ....hrm... i've never done a duet before...
Old 2007-10-01, 22:26   Link #7
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Hmm, let's see... I haven't recorded in ages and my partners have run off to who-knows-where. Wonder if they still want to duet with me.

*goes off poking the previously-agreed-upon-partners*
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 00:12   Link #8
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Random post - today's schadowfox's birthday (the guy who provides the shoutcast server, torrent, website, and a bunch of other things). Happy birthday, schadowfox! Now you're old!! Ha!!!
I would sing you the birthday song but I'll probably hurt your ears, so I won't.
Congrats though~
Old 2007-10-02, 12:54   Link #9
GipFace

~

One request...

May we have a listing of every single song performed in the history of this competition, both solos and duets? I don't want to do something that has been done before, and I'm sure others feel the same. I'd compile the list myself except that I don't have every competition on this computer right now.

That should be a rule, really... no songs done in the past

Thanks!
Old 2007-10-02, 23:25   Link #10
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
You know how hard that would make this competition? That's like saying, "no anime where a similar plot or theme has been done before".

(although that might cut down on the number of anime to a manageable viewing amount. )
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 00:10   Link #11
Fome

It'll be manageable as long as it's not on the animesuki front page.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 02:29   Link #12
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
This will be interesting. I don't think I've heard more than five entries from the previous duet competitions.

Does anyone want to try doing a duet with me? PM me if you're interested.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2007-10-05 at 12:47.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 10:10   Link #13
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

oh i would do a duet with a friend..

Last edited by Miko Miko; 2007-10-05 at 07:36.
Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 12:12   Link #14
GipFace

You know how hard that would make this competition? That's like saying, "no anime where a similar plot or theme has been done before".
Not really. There are thousands and thousands of untapped songs. Each successive contest would simply force people to be a little more creative.

Besides, every season, about 20-25 new shows and 80-100 bishoujo games/video games are produced. The contest could survive on that alone.

Guess it's time to start sending PMs... I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of songs that have no chance to be repeated... >_>;
Old 2007-10-03, 17:27   Link #15
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
One request...

May we have a listing of every single song performed in the history of this competition, both solos and duets? I don't want to do something that has been done before, and I'm sure others feel the same. I'd compile the list myself except that I don't have every competition on this computer right now.

Thanks!
I second this idea, or at least post a list of very, very often-done songs that get two or more entries per contest, such as LIFE from Bleach and that Moon on the Water song from BECK.

Old 2007-10-03, 18:23   Link #16
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I can't find my complete list, but here is what I do have:
Spoiler for Contest II-VII + Duets I:
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 12:15   Link #17
Fome

Li Jianling, you're not going to believe this. I had a dream about you. Don't get the wrong idea, I've had dreams about countless random people. You were a short Asian girl, it had something to do with going to Karaoke or something. Bah, I don't remember the details. Probably looks nothing like how you really look.
Old 2007-10-04, 15:23   Link #18
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Li Jianling, you're not going to believe this. I had a dream about you. Don't get the wrong idea, I've had dreams about countless random people. You were a short Asian girl, it had something to do with going to Karaoke or something. Bah, I don't remember the details. Probably looks nothing like how you really look.
O.o o.O
Umm... I once briefly considered turning male and gay just to move in with you after hearing your rendition of that X Japan song, but that was that...

Wanna duet?

Old 2007-10-04, 17:21   Link #19
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
O.o o.O
Umm... I once briefly considered turning male and gay just to move in with you after hearing your rendition of that X Japan song, but that was that...

Wanna duet?
What song?
Old 2007-10-04, 18:21   Link #20
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
O.o o.O

Wanna duet?

Wowsa..

That could be one hell of a pick up line o.O

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
karaoke competition