AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 19 23.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 27.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 26.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 2.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 09:11   Link #81
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Ah ofcourse... Spiral as in DNA. I wonder if the Spiral King is very old, since it seems this situation has lasted for quite some time. As for his discontent with Nia, I would say that she was an experiment with flowers but she didn't exhibit the killer instinct that he likes to see (survival of the fittest, might makes right are probably some of his mottos). Other than that, typical disgruntled with humanity dictator mad scientist type? ;p
Old 2007-05-28, 09:28   Link #82
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Ah ofcourse... Spiral as in DNA. I wonder if the Spiral King is very old, since it seems this situation has lasted for quite some time. As for his discontent with Nia, I would say that she was an experiment with flowers but she didn't exhibit the killer instinct that he likes to see (survival of the fittest, might makes right are probably some of his mottos). Other than that, typical disgruntled with humanity dictator mad scientist type? ;p
Heh, funny you say that. His romanization is Lord Genome.
Old 2007-05-28, 12:25   Link #83
Austin1
Work=FUN!!!1ONE

Did anyone else find it surprising that the narrator part about a man's destiny was actually about Kamina? I always thought it was about Simon but it seemed to me that it was about Kamina in this episode at least. But maybe not I just might have just misunderstood it.
Old 2007-05-28, 13:00   Link #84
Takeo
Jetsetter

Finally managed to watch the ep, and the wait was worth it. It was interesting to see the contrast in how Yoko and Simon were dealing with Kamina's death. I expected Yoko to manage to hold it together, and seeing Simon all angsty and ticked off was great (I loved his exchange with Rossiu). I liked the repetiton in Yoko's lines about her and Simon having a gaping hole in their heart, too, and I hope the interaction between those two isn't overshadowed too much by Nia's inclusion into the group. Nia was better than I expected, too. She definitely has that child-like innocence about her, but her line at the end shows she's got a bit of Kamina, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1 View Post
Did anyone else find it surprising that the narrator part about a man's destiny was actually about Kamina? I always thought it was about Simon but it seemed to me that it was about Kamina in this episode at least. But maybe not I just might have just misunderstood it.
The narration says something about it being a story of men whose destiny is to fight, however the part about Kamina was meant as more of a summary and epitaph for the departed Gurren-dan leader - kind of sets the stage for this new "arc" I think.
Old 2007-05-28, 17:04   Link #85
Grey

I'm not sure whether I like Nia's voice, or whether I find it grating. It has a certain charm, but I'm distracted because it sounds forced and unnatural. Like an adult trying to sound like a child, but not being able to quite achieve the proper timbre.
Old 2007-05-28, 17:47   Link #86
Kisuke06
I see...

Great episode.

First things first, I liked the new OP I just think that they shouldn't have removed every Kamina's scenes. I know he is dead but he is a important character.

The episode was good, Simon actions were pretty much what I expected. And after this episode my theory that Rossiu is going to pilot Gurren is still firm.

And it was quite a surprise that Nia is Spiral King's daughter... this shall makes everything even more interesting.
Old 2007-05-28, 18:39   Link #87
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I'm not sure whether I like Nia's voice, or whether I find it grating. It has a certain charm, but I'm distracted because it sounds forced and unnatural. Like an adult trying to sound like a child, but not being able to quite achieve the proper timbre.
You obviously have not watched enough loli animes. (Cos u'd have gotten used to hearing older women trying to sound like 6 year olds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
Great episode.

First things first, I liked the new OP I just think that they shouldn't have removed every Kamina's scenes. I know he is dead but he is a important character.

The episode was good, Simon actions were pretty much what I expected. And after this episode my theory that Rossiu is going to pilot Gurren is still firm.

And it was quite a surprise that Nia is Spiral King's daughter... this shall makes everything even more interesting.
TBH, I don't give a sh*t about Kamina. He can be out of the picture for all I care. In fact, I only started liking this series when Nia appeared.

And the fact about Nia being the Spiral King's daughter is pretty old news though. People were already talking abt it for the past week.
Old 2007-05-28, 20:06   Link #88
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Nia is a failed genetic experiment and not human. She wouldn't have survived long in that storage container without life support. Doomed to die by asphyxiation. Poor kid, she dumped out with the garbage and hasn't figured it out yet.

This is getting very interesting.
Old 2007-05-28, 20:35   Link #89
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
TBH, I don't give a sh*t about Kamina. He can be out of the picture for all I care. In fact, I only started liking this series when Nia appeared.
Just started watching this series yesterday. Had little to no interest before because of the art style gainax used.
I wouldn't have watched this series if not for the appearance Nia. (not that I don't like Kamina).
Old 2007-05-28, 20:46   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Considering Nia's size, one would expect a higher pitch than Yoko regardless of age. Japanese women just tend to have higher pitches --- though climbing an extra couple of octaves is considered attractive in Japan (and in some other asian countries). Its not really child-like but more just a very small set of pipes. Its an extremely common type of voice in anime (at least in most genres).
Old 2007-05-28, 20:52   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well so much for heroic and manly characters, bring on yet another loli, not nearly enough of those. Not that I hate Nia or lolis (in fact I would be just as upset if they disappeared as I am about the diminishing role of Gar characters), but Kamina was one of a kind in a sea of Moetastic characters. We aren't going to be seeing anyone like him again for a while I would imagine. The removal of Kamina from the opening and replacement of him by Nia almost seems like a statement about the industry itself.
Old 2007-05-28, 21:37   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can't say you're entirely offbase

Its almost as if they're training legions of "manly mecha action fans" to be moe-worshippers ... now I'm afraid they'll send Yoko to the showers.

O wait....
Old 2007-05-28, 22:23   Link #93
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
well, I like Kamina. But if its not for Nia, I would have totally quited this series since last episode.
Old 2007-05-28, 22:47   Link #94
7Th
Mixtape

I don't really fear for the manliness of the series...

Picture related.

Also, just noticed:

Thymilf, Adiane, Cytomander, Guame

Thymine, Adenine, Cytosine, Guanine

And Spiral King is called Lord Genome.

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-05-28 at 23:28.
Old 2007-05-28, 23:49   Link #95
Satsuya
~Slave~

For 9 eps now i liked..plot...charcter development(simoun's kill! kill! kill!..just hope it dont last to long)...havent went into history of chars, but i fell how serious turning, it is good they didnt go into history to early on....so far series has had me fiending for more but 40% of time when they do that...they let the fanatic down at some point...whiether your a main plot person..ED person...development person etc....so i go take bath and commence ritual that they kept the hardcore stride and dont lower impact just alittle like...... *cough* Hello LUCKY *cough*
Old 2007-05-28, 23:58   Link #96
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post

Thymilf, Adiane, Cytomander, Guame

Thymine, Adenine, Cytosine, Guanine

And Spiral King is called Lord Genome.
Check my reply on speculation thread.
There's even more to their names.
Old 2007-05-29, 07:27   Link #97
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well so much for heroic and manly characters, bring on yet another loli, not nearly enough of those. Not that I hate Nia or lolis (in fact I would be just as upset if they disappeared as I am about the diminishing role of Gar characters), but Kamina was one of a kind in a sea of Moetastic characters. We aren't going to be seeing anyone like him again for a while I would imagine. The removal of Kamina from the opening and replacement of him by Nia almost seems like a statement about the industry itself.
i found that it was strange as well for kamina to be replaced soo harshly...i would have at least thought he should have had a part in the OP even if it lasted 1 second or showed his photo...but even so...his legend lives on :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-29, 14:39   Link #98
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Nyoron is out... their script is actually fairly accurate and coherent this time, even if not a word by word translation he did a decent job this time.
Just wondering... do you understand enough japanese to be able to say that with certainty? Because people I've talked to seem to suggest nyoron make up their lines (or at least some of them) and these guys know their japanese fairly well. Sorry if that has been covered before I just haven't bothered to look through the thread all that much for fear of any spoilers.
Old 2007-05-29, 16:47   Link #99
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Just wondering... do you understand enough japanese to be able to say that with certainty? Because people I've talked to seem to suggest nyoron make up their lines (or at least some of them) and these guys know their japanese fairly well. Sorry if that has been covered before I just haven't bothered to look through the thread all that much for fear of any spoilers.
I watched through raws, and both Nyoron and anon subs. There are a couple of places where Nyoron was off, the one on Nia's speech about her father is very noticeable. Also part about Spiral king, Nyoron's wording to me doesn't fit well.

I am very picky about accuracy other than flow. People preferences are different though. For this week, I would recommend going for annon. Their scripts are more accurate.
Old 2007-05-29, 18:24   Link #100
ZombieSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
I watched through raws, and both Nyoron and anon subs. There are a couple of places where Nyoron was off, the one on Nia's speech about her father is very noticeable. Also part about Spiral king, Nyoron's wording to me doesn't fit well.

I am very picky about accuracy other than flow. People preferences are different though. For this week, I would recommend going for annon. Their scripts are more accurate.

Are You sure about that? I watched anon, Nyoron and random curiosity's blog (I assume the guy knows Japanese). Random's blog agrees with Nyoron on two or three spots while anon seem to translate them into something else. I'm talking about the part where Kitten talks to Simon, Simon talks about god and Yoko in the shower.

I don't know enough Japanese to tell which one is right, so I'm not questioning your abilities or anything, just trying to find out which one has the more correct translation.
Closed Thread