AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-22, 00:08   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Armored Trooper Votoms - Pailsen Files

The brand new Votoms series that has been in the works for some time now has finally be unveiled!

Armored Trooper Votoms - Peruzen Files

Director: Ryosuke Takahashi
Screenplay: Souji Yoshikawa
Mecha Design: Kunio Ookawara
Character Design: Norio Shioyama
Planning Production: Sunrise

The main character will once again be Chirico Cuvie, and the series is scheduled to begin in Summer 2007. It is still unclear if it's a TV series but it looks very likely.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 02:20   Link #2
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
RIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAACER!

I mean, Awesome! Oh wow, I still haven't had a chance to see the original Votoms, but I've heard its unbelievably good. I knew this was coming from a while back, but at least there's some info on it now, like what its called instead of Votoms New Season 2007.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 00:38   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Gunota has information and links to some promotional art. Nothing outside of sketches or original promo art though.

Looks like VOTOMs 2007 will a prequel to the TV series that chronicles the life of Chirico when he was still in the RSB or maybe even when he's still a green soldier, before he went through the shit he faced thoughtout the TV series.

If it's a TV series, I don't think it'll be long though. The attachment title : Peruzen Files seems to give signs that it's going to centralize on Chrico rising in the military and Peruzen doing...his you know...thing that led to how the TV series began.

And the art sketches show that they're really staying true to the original in terms of the designs and presentation, without any sort of revamps like Reideen 07, or Nova which is great as well.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 01:13   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Gunota has information and links to some promotional art. Nothing outside of sketches or original promo art though.

Looks like VOTOMs 2007 will a prequel to the TV series that chronicles the life of Chirico when he was still in the RSB or maybe even when he's still a green soldier, before he went through the shit he faced thoughtout the TV series.

If it's a TV series, I don't think it'll be long though. The attachment title : Peruzen Files seems to give signs that it's going to centralize on Chrico rising in the military and Peruzen doing...his you know...thing that led to how the TV series began.

And the art sketches show that they're really staying true to the original in terms of the designs and presentation, without any sort of revamps like Reideen 07, or Nova which is great as well.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!
We're honestly the only people here who care aren't we.
Old 2007-02-26, 01:47   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
We're honestly the only people here who care aren't we.
Can't be helped, really. There's wayyyy too little material on the current VOTOMs prequel to know how it's going about, and the fact that it's the old staff back on the VOTOMs scopedog means that only the people who had watched the original VOTOMs and loved it will be really excited... How many even knew VOTOMs existed? The fact that a lot of people haven't even watched Gundam series not named Wing and SEED/GSD is a strong testament to how old-schools robot shows are being thought of.

Ryosuke Takahashi is a good director, but at the same time, his directed series...while good (( Bakumatsu, FLAG, etc )) often go under the sheets, being drowned by more mainstream, attractive series with flashier animation and designs. So, it's a given his name wouldn't attract perks, unless his name is Miyazaki or Shinkai or etc. Hell, even Fukuda's name would garner more attention.

Still, this being Ryosuke we're talking about, I have a strong impression that with a solid beginning to the series, this series will bring in viewers...so long as someone's willing to sub it. Ryosuke's known for knowing how to present his "visualized world" very well.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-02-26, 13:42   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I watch votom a few years and I alwasy like it.

One of the few Mech shows form that era and any era that features a adult pilot. It stands a stark contrast to the meche anime form Today.

No emo angst
No teenage genius pilots.
No overpowering mechs.
No spamming.
Old 2007-02-27, 05:04   Link #7
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
No teenage genius pilots.
Are we watching the same show here? Chirico is 18 years old, even if he looks 25.

Not to mention if you watched the original TV series, you should know how special Chirico is....

Old 2007-02-27, 15:43   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Are we watching the same show here? Chirico is 18 years old, even if he looks 25.

Not to mention if you watched the original TV series, you should know how special Chirico is....
I know he is special but he is different form the gundam pilots.
Old 2007-03-05, 21:45   Link #9
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:

Yeah, but it's just not the same.
He may be young, but he acts like he's been trained as a soldier, and like he understands the situation and danger he is in.

The problem with 'teenage pilots' is that they are generally just bratty little punks, who are as concerned with seeing a girl naked in the showers as they are with being shot to death in a battle. And military discipline? Forget about it .. they'll just go off and do their own thing.

Also, even though Chirico is undoubtedly a genius pilot, he still has to work for it.
Even if it is a 1 vs 3 encounter against rank and file soldiers, he still takes it seriously, and is still in danger if he slips up. It's never just a walk in the park..
BatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-23, 14:18   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Armored Trooper Votoms: Palisen Files

Palisen Files is another addition to Armored Trooper Votoms, a mecha series from the 80's that is widely regarded among mecha fans as having some of the realistic real robots of all time. There hasn't been a Votoms series or OVA in over 13 years either, but the style of character design has been left intact in all its glory. See the main site for details.

I see this as more of a treat for fans, but I pray to god that fansub groups don't let this one slide through the cracks because it looks older than it actually is or whatever.

If anyone is interested, the original 1983 series is licensed by Central Park Media and you can get some great deals for the complete series boxset on their website and other places that sell anime.
Old 2007-06-25, 03:15   Link #11
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

If I don't need to rely on knowledge of Votoms for everything in this, I'll definitely watch it and maybe even work on it (lol, too much stuff on my plate).
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 03:07   Link #12
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
If I don't need to rely on knowledge of Votoms for everything in this, I'll definitely watch it and maybe even work on it (lol, too much stuff on my plate).
Ok then it's you and me buddy.
Old 2007-06-26, 03:26   Link #13
DaigoMadoka

Between this and a new Votoms game that looks to be good, have to say that it's about time I pay more attention to Votoms aside from really wanting the neat toys they have.
Link to some of the promo pictures for the game if anyone wants: http://www.dengekionline.com/data/ne...bf795f529.html
DaigoMadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 03:49   Link #14
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
just saw the first 2 episodes, damn that some good stuff a very good mix of oldschool design and new technologie.
i need to rewatch the old TV serie i cant remember anything of what happened in it.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 03:58   Link #15
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I was just commenting to my friend about this tonight and how I thought nobody was going to sub it, and then just now I noticed somebody had. Thank you Shinsen for seemingly always managing to pick up the series that fall through the cracks.
Old 2008-01-02, 04:20   Link #16
Westlo
Lets be reality

How was it? I'm capped until he 15th
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 05:14   Link #17
Blaat

I thought it was good, I'm still not a fan of computer generated mechas but the scopedogs looked fine and seeing some old characters such as Chirico in modern animation is awesome. I also enjoyed the use of the old OST, the OP sucks though.

Story wise its a direct sequel to Red Shoulder Document: The Roots of Ambition, which was subbed a week earlier by Newtype & a-classic (thanks guys!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I know he is special but he is different form the gundam pilots.
How? I'm pretty sure a certain emotionless Gundam pilot was inspired by Chirico. The only difference is that there's an explanation on why he's immortal and in Gundam it tends to be "he's the main character he can't die"
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 11:57   Link #18
ze Moose
Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
*Fansubber

I think the OP was great. Better than 99% of anime OP songs

I kinda liked the first two episodes even though I haven't got a clue that what's going on. Nice looking CG and the D-Day ripoff battle scene in the beginning of the first ep was pretty cool.

Anyone care to write a brief synopsis for what has happened in the earlier shows or point me to a place where I could find one? I don't need anything too detailed, just interested to know who's fighting who and why. And who/what is Chirico?
ze Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 12:36   Link #19
Blaat

Chirico is the main character, the guy with the blue hair. The best place to start watching this franchise is with the original 80s series Armored Troopers VOTOMs, which is currently licensed so you can get the DVDs. After watching that everything will make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze Moose View Post
I think the OP was great. Better than 99% of anime OP songs
Our music tastes must be on the complete opposite ends of the 'music taste spectrum'
Also with the added fact that I was expecting this song when I saw the beginning ^^
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 18:13   Link #20
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Initially I wasn't going to blog this, but after watching the episode I really want to get the word out since I know it's going to be overlooked because of it's more gritty CG artstyle and classic 80's character design that comes across almost immediately. One guy said about another great series that if it had one cute girl in it in schoolgirl outfit then fansubbers and viewers would be all over it. I can't help but feel the same way as him when I take a look at this series.

Anyway, griping aside, Episode 1 River Crossing Operation has a summary and some comments for it now.

The series takes such a neat approach to it. There's a lot of action, but the real meat is in the conspiracy surrounding the Red Shoulder Squad cover up. It was a bit hard to follow since I still haven't seen the original or it's many sequel OVA's, but so few series manage to get me interested in them this quickly. I can tell this is going to be a very interesting ride.

People, I implore you, this series is worth taking a look at. It has such intrigue and flair about it that it's such a shame it will never see much discussion about it.

Edit: *Looks at AS front page and sees 4000+ people in the swarm* Well I'm going to have to eat my words about nobody giving this series a chance.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-01-02 at 20:16.