AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-11-11, 18:04   Link #101
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
This series is so underrated and I think it's just getting overshadowed by other more anticipated series this season.

Reminds me of when the cult classic UHF was overshadowed by Batman and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade back in the late 80s.

Yes I'm old. Pay no attention to that part.
Yea, I remember seeing that in the the theater and talking to my friends the next day and they had no idea what it even was lol. Definitely overshadowed. Makes me wanna rewatch it now, heh.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-11, 21:24   Link #102
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This show is pretty wordy which can turn a lot of viewers off. I'm watching it precisely for that reason.

The scene with Mary and Blood was incredibly sad. Hard not to share a few tears with Will.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-13, 13:24   Link #103
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

That's just freakin' hilarious. Instead of using the idealist "love & bravery" teachings from his mom & dad, Will went straight to Gus' teachings which is: "Shut up & take my money!!". O wise Paladin Will knows that coins solve everything .

But seriously though, I like all the negotiation tidbits that Will did in this episode. It makes every interaction interesting and makes me feel like I'm watching Spice & Wolf again or at least it has that vibe.
Old 2021-11-13, 15:45   Link #104
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But seriously though, I like all the negotiation tidbits that Will did in this episode. It makes every interaction interesting and makes me feel like I'm watching Spice & Wolf again or at least it has that vibe.
Now that you mention it it does have that feel.

Knowing that the author is DnD-inspired, I'm always imagining that if I were playing Will how would I approach these situations. Needless to say not nearly as cleverly.
Old 2021-11-13, 17:15   Link #105
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

My boy Menel is finally here! A very nice episode, the way Will makes his way through this unfamiliar world he finds himself in is much more natural than most isekai.

Quote:
That's just freakin' hilarious. Instead of using the idealist "love & bravery" teachings from his mom & dad, Will went straight to Gus' teachings which is: "Shut up & take my money!!". O wise Paladin Will knows that coins solve everything .

Will is really an old school paladin type, but with a bit of a modern twist as you've described. You really don't see characters like that everyday, Ray is the only other similar one from what I've seen of recent anime.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-13, 19:38   Link #106
HandofFate

Episode 6 was really good, loving the outside world and seeing how it is along with Will.
Really liked how Will handled his interactions, and aiming for the least conflict, even if he could have solved everything with a show of force. And liked that the "npcs" he met were very reasonable.

Also really liked the constant praying. He really is a wandering paladin after all.
Old 2021-11-13, 23:28   Link #107
Wandering Soul

I do like how just about all lf Will's interactions with other people are made into negotiations. From just sharing food to paying off executions, just about every character requires him to keep his wits about him. I also like how they incorporate his praying and chosen faith.
Old 2021-11-14, 08:34   Link #108
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I do like how just about all lf Will's interactions with other people are made into negotiations. From just sharing food to paying off executions, just about every character requires him to keep his wits about him. I also like how they incorporate his praying and chosen faith.
It's quite different from the usual unconditional altruism common to leads of these works (likely coming from shoujo/shounen works). Only other one I can think of who was also cautious was Naofumi of Shield Hero (although there was strong elements of cynicism and calculativeness mixed in due to his sufferings).
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-14, 21:59   Link #109
Twi

Review done. Changes below.

Spoiler:
Old 2021-11-15, 06:38   Link #110
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:

He does exactly what I do, in PAthfinder, namely at least trying to save as many as possible... Usually bringing me close to the point where I'm about to loose the necessary alignment for Paladin Powers. :P

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-15, 08:31   Link #111
zztop

Looked at the author's Syosetu activity report; they admitted they were diagnosed with anxiety, are still on anti-anxiety medication and that it has affected their capability to face and write out Paladin's manuscript.

Quote:
In the worst case, I even sweated and hesitated for a few hours to open this activity report page.
https://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblo...ogkey/2831854/
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-15, 13:30   Link #112
Twi

Anxiety in any work that goes to a mass audience is a nightmare to deal with.
Old 2021-11-20, 12:30   Link #113
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, this episode boils down to good heart-to-heart dialogues between characters.

It's also sad to see people turning into ghost & undead coz they still have attachment to this world.......until Will came and sent them to the reincarnation cycle. But I wonder... in cases such as this, did Stagnate actively turn them into undeads or is it something more collateral due to demon attacks?
Old 2021-11-20, 14:07   Link #114
HandofFate

Good character interactions.
Menel was still on guard, but he warmed up to Will, due to just how devout and sincere he is in his every day mannerism and gestures.

mindless undead skeletons, or clearly suffering bodies, sending them off makes sense.

But what about the village elder who became a high rank ghost with her ego intact? Like other than following the cycle according to gracefeel, is there any harm in her just hanging around the village if she wanted to?

Last edited by HandofFate; 2021-11-20 at 14:39.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-20, 14:51   Link #115
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Menel was still on guard, but he warmed up to Will, due to just how devout and sincere he is in his every day mannerism and gestures.

mindless undead skeletons, or clearly suffering bodies, sending them off makes sense.

But what about the village elder who became a high rank ghost with her ego intact? Like other than following the cycle according to gracefeel, is there any harm in her just hanging around the village if she wanted to?
Maybe its something like in And on Sunday God abandoned the world (Or however it was actually called) where undead just became greedy as hell. Would kinda fit, since thaat was also the reason Bloodymary didn't want to stay...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-20, 15:41   Link #116
Twi

Quote:
Well, this episode boils down to good heart-to-heart dialogues between characters.

It's also sad to see people turning into ghost & undead coz they still have attachment to this world.......until Will came and sent them to the reincarnation cycle. But I wonder... in cases such as this, did Stagnate actively turn them into undeads or is it something more collateral due to demon attacks?
See my last episode's posts final part in the spoiler. It's a passive thing. Stagnate very rarely comes down to actively turn people into undead.
Old 2021-11-20, 16:47   Link #117
Tenzen12

So next week we are getting recap. Make perfect sense. After all with so much episodes so far and with how incredibly eventful this story were we definitely need one so we don't get completely lost...
Old 2021-11-20, 20:33   Link #118
Wandering Soul

So Will has successfully acquired his first friend and party member. Hopefully Menel and Will will have a goid dynamic with interesting interactions going forward.
Old 2021-11-21, 07:29   Link #119
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

The dialogues seemed to imply the possibility that with time she might lose her mind and become a malevolent spirit. Anyway, from what we have seen so far not being part of the cycle of reincarnation is considered a bad outcome so I guess Marple herself didn't want to stay in the world as a ghost.
Old 2021-11-21, 08:47   Link #120
larethian

I'm a sucker for paladins and warriors of faith (partly because holy avenger OP) and I definitely like this. A pity the author has been unwell for quite a while. Hope this story doesn't end up without an ending and the author recovers well. *sad*
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote