AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 13 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 40.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 23.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 9.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 10:50   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Spice and Wolf II - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Spice and Wolf II, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-08-26, 13:20   Link #2
suka-pon-tan

Nice. Very nice episode as usual. Gee....They pull us up to the another peak of coaster track.
Those Lawrence`s "Business men" attitude makes me nervous even more. And that new character Bolan. I don`t know shes gonna corporate with Lawrence or against to Lawrence but she seems slick.

Btw, since 2nd season started, I only see Horo DRINKING. I mean, what happend her apple addiction?
Old 2009-08-26, 15:22   Link #3
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
Btw, since 2nd season started, I only see Horo DRINKING. I mean, what happend her apple addiction?
Possibility 1: Apples are out of season right now.
Possibility 2: They've traveled to an area where apples aren't grown or traded.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-08-26, 15:38   Link #4
Kaguya
an idler

Lawrence's smell which will remain in the memory of Horo ...
Is it Lawrence's smell in ep2 of a first season?

I'm glad that the name of Helena was given to the waitress of the beaver's tail restaurant.

Although a story is not developed greatly yet, Abe has big presence.

Left: Illustration by Horo (Ami Koshimizu) Right: Illustration by Lawrence (Jun Fukuyama)
Old 2009-08-26, 20:16   Link #5
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Mmm... Compared to the other episodes, it wasn't so interesting... Maybe I ran out of patience for just simple talking by the end of the first half (with the bartender girl)... Sheik isn't anything to look at either, compared to her...
Sheik looks more like a male when she takes off her hood/whatever is covering her head...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-08-26 at 23:58.
Old 2009-08-26, 21:23   Link #6
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Sheik looks more like a male when she takes off her head...
I haven't see the episode yet. But what?? ..."when she takes off her head"??

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-08-26, 23:57   Link #7
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I haven't see the episode yet. But what?? ..."when she takes off her head"??

My mistake.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-08-27, 08:55   Link #8
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

My mistake.
Of course, there are shows where "when she takes off her head" would be perfectly sensible, perhaps even expected. S&W doesn't seem like one of those though.

Old 2009-08-27, 14:49   Link #9
ARQ

i dunno, i recall sumone in the end of first season who mighta been a head shorter had horo chomped down a lil harder xD

Anyways it seems that with all those sessions of verbal sparring with horo, Lawrence has really leveled up xD He was holding his own pretty good against the waitress and the masked woman. I wish horo herself could have had a few conversations with those ppl tho, it could be so interesting.
Old 2009-08-27, 15:32   Link #10
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
She got rid of it between the first and second book (animated in the first season). She actually had trouble finishing that cartful of apples.

I'm feeling really ambivalent about the females introduced in this ep. The waitress has a cute voice and demeanor. Cheerful, almost childish, but she's still very clearly a young woman. Like hell I'd look at her apron. And yet, my mind was screaming "trap" the whole time (not "she has a penis" trap, but "she's going to involve Lawrence in something dangerous" trap...).

As for Abe... I usually like bifauxnen. And mysterious women. And she looks more like a badass warrior than a merchant. But she moves to damn much. And with her, too, I can't help but feel there's something wrong going on.
Old 2009-08-27, 17:30   Link #11
HandofFate

I really like the body language and movement of the waitress this episode.
Turns out she's the one in the opening. For the longest time I thought the girl in the opening drinking back the mug of alcohol was the mean girl that tried to catch Horo in the first story arc of the first series.
Old 2009-08-27, 17:50   Link #12
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

The women in this episode interested me, I could see Eve having a lot of connections as does the waitress. Both very interesting, it's nice to see how the women in these stories have quite a bit of power/knowledge behind the scenes.
Old 2009-08-27, 18:21   Link #13
Tubby

I see Sheik (lol) having different names depending on the subs: Abe(Mazui) and Eve(SFW). That's quite a different from e.g. Horo/Holo or Lawrence Craft / Kraft.
Old 2009-08-27, 19:29   Link #14
Utaki
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
I see Sheik (lol) having different names depending on the subs: Abe(Mazui) and Eve(SFW). That's quite a different from e.g. Horo/Holo or Lawrence Craft / Kraft.
Quoted from the japan wikipedia (the translation sucks 'cause I'm not Japanese and I let Google do it)

Quote:
Ebu Bolan (Bolan FLOUR)
Voice - 璐美Park
His real name is Fleur von Itazenteru (Mariel) · borane. The downfall of the Kingdom of noble Uinfiru, borane 11 family head home the first generation. Eventful life and walk the failure and betrayal. Miser's life was spared even for money. We met at the inn Renosu Lawrence, approach someone a big profit. Also appears in Volume 8 Volume 9.
Tightly rolled cloth hood as the head, eyes and not their faces covered with cloth, that it is hidden women dressed as men are. I usually have a hoarse voice he said, in some cases also speak of the nobility feminine voice. First person is "Ole". But very rarely (such as when the wall fell) in the first person "I" may be. Did not trust anyone but yourself basically just that Lawrence is willing to partner with the solicitation and to some extent they can trust.
If anyone else can translate it, most appreciated (:

Quote:
エーブ・ボラン(フルール・ボラン)
声 - 朴璐美
本名はフルール・フォン・イーターゼンテル・(マリエル)・ボラン。ウィンフィール王国の没落した貴族、ボ ラン家の第11代当主。失敗や裏切りなど波乱に満ちた人生を歩む。金のためなら命さえ惜しまない守銭奴。ロ レンスたちにはレノスの宿屋で出会い、大きな儲け話をもちかける。8巻と9巻にも登場する。
頭に頭巾のように布をきつく巻き、顔も目元以外を布で覆っており、女だということを隠し、男に扮している。 普段はしゃがれた声で話しているが、場合によっては貴族の女性らしい声でしゃべることもある。一人称は「オ レ」。だがごく稀(窮地に陥ったときなど)に一人称が「私」になることがある。基本的に自分以外の誰も信用 していないが、ロレンスだけはある程度信用していて一緒に組もうと勧誘したことがある。
Old 2009-08-27, 19:44   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Of course, there are shows where "when she takes off her head" would be perfectly sensible, perhaps even expected. S&W doesn't seem like one of those though.
Well we have run into some amazing characters in this series. But as of yet we haven't run into anyone I think could survive without their head .

Anyways this was a pretty good episode before things go wrong. I have to say Lawrence has gotten pretty good in negotiations with others. Constantly engaging Horo in conversation would sharpen his skills. Against others you can see his growth a little bit. Though I hope he doesn't get in over his head (of course that's unlikely).

A couple interesting female figures with the waitress and Abe. Both could be pretty important figures during this arc. I have to give the waitress credit since she is cute and has a talent for interacting with customers.

Horo's ears really helped out though. Helped to figure out the situation after listening to the conversations. I suppose both were getting drunk on different things. Lawrence really does enjoy these business situations even though he can get into trouble through them. I didn't know he'd made enough to start up a shop. Though of course that's not something he'd consider doing right now.

Anyways the next episode's title doesn't exactly make you confident .
Old 2009-08-27, 21:17   Link #16
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Oh and I thought it was hysterical when Horo was holding her tail and telling Lawerence he couldn't sell it. But think of the price he would get!
On a side note, is Lawrence's first name Kraft/Craft or Lawrence? I always thought it was Lawrence but now I'm not so sure....
Old 2009-08-28, 00:28   Link #17
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
On a side note, is Lawrence's first name Kraft/Craft or Lawrence? I always thought it was Lawrence but now I'm not so sure....
It's Kraft/Craft. He just likes to be called by his last name.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-08-28, 01:31   Link #18
HandofFate

anyone catch what the voice actress for the waitress is?

I like how in the beginning, Lawrence orders two more mugs of alcohol and pays with a copper coin.
Then when Lawrence is drinking at the Beaver Bar, he pays for one mug of alcohol with two copper coins, silently showing he's paying for information.
Old 2009-08-28, 01:40   Link #19
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
school days? Higurashi? O_o
Old 2009-08-28, 04:15   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I should have known Sheik would be voiced by Paku Romi. Seriously should have seen that coming from a mile away.