AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-11, 14:48   Link #161
Kallen4life

yes, tvtropes likes to exaggerate & emphasize, still damn addictive though

thanks
Old 2010-09-19, 22:08   Link #162
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post

Spoiler for large image:
Infinite Library/Archives (Disk 2, track 01)

The pride of the Bureau, the greatest/largest analog database of the interdimensional worlds. It stocks every piece (written information) of information from TSAB recognized (known?) worlds. As its name “endless/infinite” implies, the information it contains continuously grows each day.
Previously it was a disorganized place (place of chaotic disorder) until about ten years ago, the current head Librarian Yuuno Scrya was appointed. Since then new regulations on organizing books/publications and database specific programs were developed. Thus the enormous/overwhelming amount of data is slowly but surely over the long months and years becoming more organized.

Restrict Lock (Disc 1, track 20)
Teana’s bind magic. A medium range with particular effects once fired, an extremely stable/strong capture (bind) magic.
It can take on many shapes/forms but Teana’s usual/favourite spell takes the form a magic ring that binds limbs and body at the same time.

Last edited by Nagumo; 2010-09-20 at 15:22.
Old 2010-09-19, 22:31   Link #163
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Infinite Library/Archives (Disk 2, track 01)

The pride of the Bureau, the greatest/largest analog database of the interdimensional worlds. It stocks every piece (written information) of information from TSAB recognized (known?) worlds. As its name “endless/infinite” implies, the information it contains continuously grows each day.
Previously it was a disorganized place (place of chaotic disorder) until about ten years ago, the current head Librarian Yuuno Scrya was appointed. Since then new regulations on organizing books/publications and database specific programs were developed. Thus the enormous/overwhelming amount of data is slowly but surely over the long months and years becoming more organized.
See? Yuuno is a valuable TSAB asset in his own way.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-09-19, 23:45   Link #164
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
and thats why he has vanished

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-09-20, 21:33   Link #165
Nagumo
Random Translator

Orussia – Embroiled in Civil War

An interdimensional world whose very “first contact” with another world, Midchilda, was generally peaceful. (alt translation: one of the first interdimensional worlds that Midchilda had contact with/Administrated) However even now, war continues to roil the world.
As an Administrated World it can ask for public/official aid/support but it rejects/refuses to accept any assistance, as a result the ability of the Administration to help is limited/restricted.
Orussia is one such world, the Southern countries continue to wage their endless (ie long lasting) war.
Old 2010-09-20, 23:22   Link #166
Arkeus

Quote:

An interdimensional world whose very “first contact” with another world, Midchilda, was generally peaceful. (alt translation: one of the first interdimensional worlds that Midchilda had contact with/Administrated) However even now, war continues to roil the world.
As an Administrated World it can ask for public/official aid/support but it rejects/refuses to accept any assistance, as a result the ability of the Administration to help is limited/restricted.
Orussia is one such world, the Southern countries continue to wage their endless (ie long lasting) war.
that's.... interesting.

It could very well meant that "administered" worlds just means "world that officialy knows about the TSAB", as they do seem able to not have any real influence from the TSAB beyond 'contact'.
Old 2010-10-23, 18:50   Link #167
Nagumo
Random Translator

Explosion (combustion) induced Fire (Disc 1, track 19)

An uncommon cause of fire, set off with explosive material (ingredients (trans note: medicine/drugs), explosive class).
Explosives spread the fire and raise temperatures quickly, moreover adds to the difficulty and danger when putting it out.
Old 2010-10-25, 17:31   Link #168
Nagumo
Random Translator

Comment: Man, can you imagine the pension that the TSAB officers must get if they work from their childhood up til old age? I can only imagine that's how Admiral Graham could live out his years in leisure on earth.

Remote/Frontier Nature Conservation Corps (Disk 1, Track 06)
One of the Administration’s external/outside organizations, an organization that specializes/concentrates on defending/preserving and observing remote/frontier world wildlife (vegetation/plants, wild life (trans note: birds and wild animals)).
Formally speaking, Conservation Officers are considered/ treated as TSAB/Administration officers, thus the time spent at the Conservation Corps service/duty is regarded as [Administration service/duty].
Duties range from cooperating with civilian researchers and their research, as well as working to counter poachers, for this the young talented/brilliant knight Erio and the Dragon Summoner Mage Caro are particularly skilled/good at.
Old 2010-11-02, 21:23   Link #169
Nagumo
Random Translator

Seriously Subaru, you've got a nice job and all but the dictionary entry of your department was annoying to translate...

Disaster Relief/Prevention Department's Special Rescue Team (Disc 1, track 03)
Fires. Environmental disasters. Accidents. The Disaster Relief/Prevention Department mobilizes to them all. Their teams that specialize in emergency rescue is called the [Special Rescue Team].
A willingness to rush into extremely dangerous areas/situations, rapid/swift evacuations and high individual skill is required.
The [Disaster Relief/Prevention Department] was also once called the [Disaster Management/Command Department], however they changed it to give the Administration posting a [more friendly and modern name].
Disaster Management/Command members/officers are called Disaster Relief officers after the name change, and the ranks/hierarchy changed to more original Disaster Relief centric ranks as opposed to ground forces/army/military ranks.
Old 2010-11-02, 22:11   Link #170
Nagumo
Random Translator

I take it back... Teana's job was harder to translate...

Enforcer (CD 1 Track 02)
One of the positions within the TSAB, only attainable by those with the capabilities to pass the certification exam.
Qualified individuals are authorized to handle [command/oversee any and all parties involved any judicial/law enforcement matters to any unit they are assigned/attached to]. (Note: er, what? Does this mean Fate is the equivalent to a federal law enforcement type or state security SS/FBI/Stasi? Those intimidating black uniforms make sense then. For those who want to translate: [所属部隊における事件および法務案件の統括担当者].)
Enforcers who are clerical/office work oriented are assigned to their units/corps and generally oversee/are in charge of judicial affairs. More independent Enforcers who are especially skilled in pursuing/tracking/investigating tend to concentrate on following cases/incidents that require their full attention and abilities.
(Note: 内勤派の者は所属部隊の法務を全般的に担当し、独立派の者は自身が追跡を得意とする種別の事件を専任で指揮 ・担当する傾向がある。)
The position requires a highly diverse range of knowledge and skills. However since the JS incident, the Adminstration Bureau decided to expand its fight to eliminate internal corruption and raised the difficulty/bar of its already difficult exam further which lowered the pass rate, but Teana who long aspired to be an Enforcer safely passed the exam.

ON TO PAGE 17!!! (... starts crying)
Old 2010-11-02, 22:20   Link #171
mielipuoli

Nagumo, you rock. Thank you for working on these; I do have one question - is there any more info on Orussia besides what's already in this thread and what was mentioned by Runessa in your translations?

As far as the question of Fate goes, I got the feeling that the Enforcers were something like a mix of an FBI Special Agent and an Internal Affairs investigator, sort of like a JAG officer with wider powers.
Old 2010-11-02, 22:23   Link #172
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielipuoli View Post
Nagumo, you rock. Thank you for working on these; I do have one question - is there any more info on Orussia besides what's already in this thread and what was mentioned by Runessa in your translations?

As far as the question of Fate goes, I got the feeling that the Enforcers were something like a mix of an FBI Special Agent and an Internal Affairs investigator, sort of like a JAG officer with wider powers.
I've just quickly read over the remaining SSX dictionary page, it has not mention of Orussia in the slightest bit.

I personally imagine its kinda like Somalia... Pretty messed up.
Old 2010-11-02, 23:04   Link #173
mielipuoli

That's the opinion I got, though the name suggests traditions and language fun for character creation. Spasiba, comrade!
Old 2010-11-03, 00:56   Link #174
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Hm, the description of the Enforcers as sort of being roving troubleshooters reminds me a bit of 40K Inquisitors, though obviously they're nowhere near being that independent.
Old 2010-11-03, 05:55   Link #175
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielipuoli View Post
That's the opinion I got, though the name suggests traditions and language fun for character creation. Spasiba, comrade!
Comrade Runessa Magnus...

That does have a ring to it. I guess we'll be having the White Orussians Terror and stuff then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Hm, the description of the Enforcers as sort of being roving troubleshooters reminds me a bit of 40K Inquisitors, though obviously they're nowhere near being that independent.
Or that trigger happy in the name of the God Emperor...
Old 2010-11-03, 07:02   Link #176
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
I take it back... Teana's job was harder to translate...

Enforcer (CD 1 Track 02)
One of the positions within the TSAB, only attainable by those with the capabilities to pass the certification exam.
Qualified individuals are authorized to handle [command/oversee any and all parties involved any judicial/law enforcement matters to any unit they are assigned/attached to]. (Note: er, what? Does this mean Fate is the equivalent to a federal law enforcement type or state security SS/FBI/Stasi? Those intimidating black uniforms make sense then.)
Enforcers who are clerical/office work oriented are assigned to their units/corps and generally oversee/are in charge of judicial affairs. More independent Enforcers who are especially skilled in pursuing/tracking/investigating tend to concentrate on following cases/incidents that require their full attention and abilities.

The position requires a highly diverse range of knowledge and skills. However since the JS incident, the Adminstration Bureau decided to expand its fight to eliminate internal corruption and raised the difficulty/bar of its already difficult exam further which lowered the pass rate, but Teana who long aspired to be an Enforcer safely passed the exam.
Field Enforcers reminded me of Mass Effect Spectre's with a dash of Old Republic Jedi(non-EU; never followed those)
Old 2010-11-03, 20:56   Link #177
Nagumo
Random Translator

I am now completely utterly convinced that Ix fell in love with Subaru in SSX... Or at least had one mad crush on her.

Teana, you better hope she doesn't wake up.

Page 17

Ix (CD 2, track 21)
The location of where Ix now sleeps is within the Saint Church holy reliquary on the coast. (alt trans: In a church by the coast where they hold/maintain Saint Church relics)
A location with a beautiful wide sky/horizon, green hills and fields and a vista of the sea that Ix had desired, all in one place, where she can quietly rest in peace and safety until she awakens again.
The young Sankt Kaiser and others she had befriended, and that one girl/precious friend she ‘loves’ (daisuki = strong like) sometimes come to visit her there.
Old 2010-11-04, 18:19   Link #178
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
I am now completely utterly convinced that Ix fell in love with Subaru in SSX... Or at least had one mad crush on her.
Rescue Romance!

Quote:

Wow...you know, thinking about it, that one tiny paragraph contains a (compared to what we know) massive amount of information about TSAB politics.

For example, we now know that Administered Worlds have a great deal of autonomy vis-a-vis the TSAB, if the TSAB is legally unable to come in and settle the civil war without Orussia's direct request to do so. So that suggests that the Bureau operates more as a confederation than as a strong-central-government analogue to the USA or the like. One presumes that the TSAB could come barging in to settle matters like Lost Logia on the loose without local control, but otherwise...

It also tells us that (since we know Orussia uses the things) the "mass weapons ban" does not mean that the TSAB simply obliterates them throughout their sphere of influence. Here's an Administered World where they exist, and the TSAB has no legal authority (despite the famous ban) to go in and eliminate them. Which suggests that the "mass weapons ban" applies only to movement of them in commerce from world to world, or only to certain worlds like Midchilda, or that it might be a matter of scale (handguns and tanks OK, start building nukes and we send in the mages?).

Interesting stuff, really...
Old 2010-11-04, 19:21   Link #179
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Wow...you know, thinking about it, that one tiny paragraph contains a (compared to what we know) massive amount of information about TSAB politics.

For example, we now know that Administered Worlds have a great deal of autonomy vis-a-vis the TSAB, if the TSAB is legally unable to come in and settle the civil war without Orussia's direct request to do so. So that suggests that the Bureau operates more as a confederation than as a strong-central-government analogue to the USA or the like. One presumes that the TSAB could come barging in to settle matters like Lost Logia on the loose without local control, but otherwise...

It also tells us that (since we know Orussia uses the things) the "mass weapons ban" does not mean that the TSAB simply obliterates them throughout their sphere of influence. Here's an Administered World where they exist, and the TSAB has no legal authority (despite the famous ban) to go in and eliminate them. Which suggests that the "mass weapons ban" applies only to movement of them in commerce from world to world, or only to certain worlds like Midchilda, or that it might be a matter of scale (handguns and tanks OK, start building nukes and we send in the mages?).

Interesting stuff, really...
Personally I found the idea of a ban on mass weapons (like guns) was incredibly stupid. I mean, you can actually get guns in Japan. It just means you have to have more paperwork done and get some training but other than being a massive pain in the ass and making sure it's registered, its not as if it's outright banned.

My grandparents live in a fairly rural place, a number of households have hunting rifles. I mean, how the heck are the farmers of Japan supposed to cull the wild pigs in the mountains to prevent crop damage from them? Hunt them with frickin' bows and arrows? Wait an entire month or so for the wildlife rangers to do the cull for them and lose a couple of fields? The average farm is family owned and small, if they let the damage happen they're screwed.

Also in Nanoha, we have people running around with magic devices that can do incredible property damage, can kill people if you decide not to go stun and they don't seem to have to register them. (unless we're not seeing that particular side of bureaucracy)

Guns are a tool, as long as they are tracked, registered and are for a specified reason then I don't think the Japanese people would mind. People don't run around in that country with loads of weapons for the sheer hell of it or to build a collection like Americans.
Old 2010-11-04, 19:37   Link #180
mielipuoli

Well, even with the ban, Runessa got permission to carry a mass-based weapon. And pray tell, what about Subaru's Revolver Knuckle, or for that matter Strada itself? A rocket-powered lance is going to leave a lot more than bruising.

I imagine the ban primarily covers things like tanks and large-sized kinetic weapons, like what the Einherjar were using. Otherwise, depending on how far you wanted to take the concept, even the original Anchor Gun with its physical hook component could count.

As far as guns in Japan, I point to the popularity of airsoft - while it's true that there isn't the collection/self-defense/hunting population of the United States, there'd certainly be no small number of people who would at least be interested in the real thing were they easily available.

Still, I imagine the Bureau has a very strong preference for magic because of the significant limit of damage - remember that Nanoha got chewed out for trashing the place before Yuuno could set up that little dimensional sidestep, allowing her to fight all-out without involving others or the local environment. Very much reminds me of the kekkai from X/1999, and is probably related to a lot of Japanese mystic-mythology as well as being a fair cheat to allow MGs to go all-out.

Still, the political situation is interesting, and I wonder if the Bureau have somewhat of an Abh mentality. Control the space/dimensional sea between worlds, but let each world more or less do its own thing for self-government. Note that even Mid-Childa itself is allowing Belkan areas under control of the Church to exist on the planet; there's also the "Time/Space Administration" rather than "Planetary Federation" thing. Speculative again, but maybe there's a mention of it somewhere that could be interpreted that way? It certainly explains what a Bureau cruiser was doing in an unadministered world's space, not to mention what the original transport with the Jewel Seeds was doing in the area as well. They never did explain that further that I know of.

Anyway, I'll shut up, more translations!
Closed Thread