AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-06, 19:10   Link #22821
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

How many know than the swastika came from India ? The shooter isn't likely to had know that fact, nor would had cared.
Old 2012-08-06, 19:55   Link #22822
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1748190.html

Lemme see, a mosque burns down. A mosque from Missouri. I can see why the authorities are heavily suspecting that it could have been arson.
Old 2012-08-06, 19:57   Link #22823
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
How many know than the swastika came from India ? The shooter isn't likely to had know that fact, nor would had cared.
I don't know but its Aryan in origin.... I think...
Old 2012-08-06, 20:08   Link #22824
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

It was a sign of good things before WW II Germany. It still is. The Nazis took the symbol and titled it for their symbol, and ever since WW II, any form of a swastika is seen as a bad thing by many westerners because many westerners think that any swastika has to do with Nazism, which as we know, isn't the case.
Old 2012-08-06, 20:37   Link #22825
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It annoys me that the righteously politically correct often don't KNOW that the symbol has been a "good thing" for over 5000 years and just because some jackasses borrowed it for a few years, those people get all flustered.
Old 2012-08-06, 20:49   Link #22826
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't it be weird if the shooter shot the place up for "taking his Nazi symbol"?
Old 2012-08-07, 01:44   Link #22827
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have a quiet bet with myself that we're going to see a surge of "christian"/ white supremacist / anti-abortion / zealot type terrorist acts in the next 10 years - particularly if Obama wins and the GOP loses the House by the margins I'm suspecting they will.

The fringe crazies, egged on by the crap spouted by our political lunatics, will decide that violence is their main recourse.
Several years ago, there was a study report of white supremacy groups in the rising, and as well as a full report on hate group sect organizing among the military. They urged these findings be alarted and observed.

I recall the usual suspects calling out Obama over that report and accused him for oppressing whites, patriots, military personnel, and civil militants.

Well...
The suspect was on a watch-list of dangerous individual.

Reminds us of the "Terrorism rise warning" reports pre-911 that went DEAF on ears of Neocons, doesn't it?
They even told him exactly which organization (Al Queda) planned to use what (jet liners) for the act. Let's recall how THAT went.

But nooooooo. We had the authorities stalk law-abiding arabs who never had any criminial history or connection to terrorism, yet men we KNEW had dangerous ideas and murderous intent, goes unchecked. And newest report suggests this applies to the Aurora shooting as well.
Is it just me that head-desk about all this?

Last edited by aohige; 2012-08-07 at 01:59.
Old 2012-08-07, 10:26   Link #22828
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The US has been asleep at the wheel with domestic extremist groups... even Timothy McVeigh (who was part of a huge chain of hatemonger "patriots" who egg each other on) they tried to pawn off as a lone wolf. Its a weird loosely connected mob of neo-christo-white-nazi-fruitloops dotting the US. The intertubes give them synergy... and the Tea Party rank and file is the "civil" facade of much of it, funded by libertarian mil/billionaires.
Old 2012-08-07, 13:55   Link #22829
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The US has been asleep at the wheel with domestic extremist groups... even Timothy McVeigh (who was part of a huge chain of hatemonger "patriots" who egg each other on) they tried to pawn off as a lone wolf. Its a weird loosely connected mob of neo-christo-white-nazi-fruitloops dotting the US. The intertubes give them synergy... and the Tea Party rank and file is the "civil" facade of much of it, funded by libertarian mil/billionaires.
I wonder when they will try something like the IRA/Sinn Féin approach.
Old 2012-08-07, 14:12   Link #22830
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
I wonder when they will try something like the IRA/Sinn Féin approach.
Won't work. The IRA only succeeded because they had wide support among the catholic community in Northern Ireland, and could start a true insurgency while gaining massive amounts of donations from foreign governments and backers sympathetic to their cause.

The IRA could maintain their popularity as they didn't attack catholic civilians in Northern Ireland, but restricted themselves to British targets, and even then mostly the military and prominent British political figures.

Also, Northern Ireland presented a case of severe innequalities and a situation where the catholic populace could no longer trust the authorities due to their perpetual disenfranchisment. "Civil Rights" and their denial by the British government was what created the IRA, not hatred of protestants.

The closest analogue to these white supremacists are actually the unionist paramilitaries, who were, in fact, largely driven by hatred of catholics, much as white supremacists are driven by hatred of non-whites. However the unionist paramilitaries never really progressed beyond being armed thugs.

No armed insurgency as organized as the IRA will come out of white supremacists in the USA.
Old 2012-08-07, 15:11   Link #22831
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Jared Loughner is found to be mentally competent for trial; pleads guilty.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/h...-plea-16949808

Now we just need them to find out that James Holmes is competent enough for trial so he can't plead insanity (I'm guessing that'll be the case with him).
Old 2012-08-07, 15:18   Link #22832
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

Now we just need them to find out that James Holmes is competent enough for trial so he can't plead insanity (I'm guessing that'll be the case with him).
I don't suppose they can nail him with the Dent Act...? That would be rather fitting.
Old 2012-08-07, 15:33   Link #22833
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Won't work. The IRA only succeeded because they had wide support among the catholic community in Northern Ireland, and could start a true insurgency while gaining massive amounts of donations from foreign governments and backers sympathetic to their cause.

The IRA could maintain their popularity as they didn't attack catholic civilians in Northern Ireland, but restricted themselves to British targets, and even then mostly the military and prominent British political figures.

Also, Northern Ireland presented a case of severe innequalities and a situation where the catholic populace could no longer trust the authorities due to their perpetual disenfranchisment. "Civil Rights" and their denial by the British government was what created the IRA, not hatred of protestants.

The closest analogue to these white supremacists are actually the unionist paramilitaries, who were, in fact, largely driven by hatred of catholics, much as white supremacists are driven by hatred of non-whites. However the unionist paramilitaries never really progressed beyond being armed thugs.

No armed insurgency as organized as the IRA will come out of white supremacists in the USA.
By IRA/Sinn Féin approache I was more thinking about athe combination of a millitary and politi branch, working together while denying any responsibility for the other branch's action.
Old 2012-08-07, 15:40   Link #22834
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't suppose they can nail him with the Dent Act...? That would be rather fitting.

You talking about the thing from TDKR? Maybe scarecrow can load both of them up with hallucinogenics and make them have bad trips.
Old 2012-08-07, 18:03   Link #22835
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
By IRA/Sinn Féin approache I was more thinking about athe combination of a millitary and politi branch, working together while denying any responsibility for the other branch's action.
A possibility, however my guess is that they'd be more likely to take a more Nazi paramilitary path, where the paramilitary force is an overt sign of the parties strength that are brought out at political rallies, and used to achieve certain political goals and agitate by force.
Old 2012-08-07, 18:09   Link #22836
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The old SA than? Only if they all dress up on Star Wars uniforms will I accept them as anything.
Old 2012-08-07, 18:12   Link #22837
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Weapons cache found in home of Ohio man nabbed at "Batman" film
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8761A020120807
Quote:
(Reuters) - Police have found a cache of weapons and ammunition in the home of a man arrested after bringing a loaded 9mm Glock pistol and four knives to a late night showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Ohio.
Old 2012-08-07, 20:03   Link #22838
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

A few months ago I would have felt pretty satisfied over Loughner going to jail for life, but after watching that video this entire affair just feels kinda depressing. So Loughner was an unmedicated crazed Schizophrenic who felt no remorse for what he was doing...and he only got treatment when the state wanted to put him on trial.

I'm not gonna dispute argue against the life imprisonment, but I think this entire affair should really indicate that the entire mental health system in this country is a complete joke.
Old 2012-08-07, 20:15   Link #22839
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm not gonna dispute argue against the life imprisonment, but I think this entire affair should really indicate that the entire mental health system in this country is a complete joke.
For the state-sponsored institutions, it's not so much a joke as something that has been on the receiving end of funding cuts. It's a convenient target, too; there's a lot of stigma around mental health issues. Many of the people in these institutions are homeless, criminals, and/or drug addicts, largely thanks to their conditions. Those groups tend to receive harsh judgment from the rest of society. Never mind that many of them could be stabilized and turned into decent, contributing members of society if they received the necessary treatment.

But money for social programs? Ridiculous. The solution to this sort of problem is clearly to make sure that everyone has a gun or two. After all, if that happened, it wouldn't matter how many people went on a rampage - they'd be put down on the spot, right?
Old 2012-08-07, 20:29   Link #22840
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
A few months ago I would have felt pretty satisfied over Loughner going to jail for life, but after watching that video this entire affair just feels kinda depressing. So Loughner was an unmedicated crazed Schizophrenic who felt no remorse for what he was doing...and he only got treatment when the state wanted to put him on trial.

This is true. He was only competent after being forcibly medicated. When you think about it, it is sad and messed up. With the right help, his crime could have never happened and he could be doing well nowadays.

Now that you point out these things, maybe the same could be said for James Holmes. I really question if he was so mentally ill that he was delusional when he planned his attack (and booby trapping his apartment), but what if he is really delusional from mental illness? If that were the case, that'd be sad and depressing, too. The crime could have never happened if he got the helped he needed, and his well being could be good today.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international