Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-11-29, 11:35   Link #7241
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
They were warrior monks, but he also massacred the women and children of the settlement, so depends on your definition of fair game.

I don't think he was twisted in the sense of beheading concubines, but torturing political enemies I hesitate to deny without having more knowledge..

Certainly I'd say his successor, Hideyoshi (another fascinating figure), is more well known for brutality than Nobunaga.
I am not too concerned about the women and children part. As far as I can tell, that is standard OP strategy for armies everywhere even up to today. While the acts itself were vile, it does not make him a "worse man" than his contempatories.

So he is just a "Standard Warlord with a vision to do big things" and thus revered by the Japanese?
Old 2013-12-01, 22:33   Link #7242
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

What does L and CR mean?
Old 2013-12-01, 22:59   Link #7243
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-2 View Post
What does L and CR mean?
L = liscensed

CR = crunchy roll

Umm... assuming you were talking about the prefixings in front of some of the threads in the anime forums of course.
Old 2013-12-02, 00:21   Link #7244
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

Yes, I was talking about the prefixes, not the toilet and the genius detective.
Old 2013-12-02, 18:05   Link #7245
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Anime score music related question. I forgot her name and I am trying to remember it.
This woman sings vocals opera-ish styled for anime soundtracks from series such as Black Cat, I can't really think of many other series at the moment. However I have a page from the soundtrack booklet so maybe someone can easily answer this for me as the name I need is behind Vocalist: ACCETTAMI.

Spoiler for size:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 23:23   Link #7246
Azuma Denton
~AD~

It read as Mochizuki Hiroyuki, but a google on that name and no entry related to Black Cat was found. So I maybe wrong too.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 09:08   Link #7247
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Has the name of this thread changed or am I imagining it?

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 13:30   Link #7248
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Has the name of this thread changed or am I imagining it?
you aren't imagining it , it used to be the silly question thread or something, it's been changed for a while now though.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 15:00   Link #7249
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

What is it called when Chinese/Japanese monks (I think they're monks) have these paper talismans on their faces? I think I remember seeing it in Serei no Moribito as well.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 15:35   Link #7250
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Those aren't monks. Those are Chinese zombies/vampires. IIRC they're called jiang shi (kyonshi in Japanese). I'm not really sure, but the talisman is usually put there to seal them back to inanimation.
Old 2013-12-03, 18:46   Link #7251
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I read something on TVTropes about how math as a classroom alienates a lot of people. Pretty much all the sciences and mathematics even music theory tend to alienate other people who aren't as into math. Why is that? Does it have something to do with the way it taught in schools?
Old 2013-12-03, 22:05   Link #7252
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I read something on TVTropes about how math as a classroom alienates a lot of people. Pretty much all the sciences and mathematics even music theory tend to alienate other people who aren't as into math. Why is that? Does it have something to do with the way it taught in schools?
The "one-answer" theory sparks fear in students when they are consistently unable to get the correct and desired answer. Human beings by nature are rational, they don't accept the blackwhite nature of some things.

Then again, some kids are just lazy to calculate and figure out the problems and instead rely on spoon-feeding and calculator. Beating and forcing them to do math until they get Stockholm is a good way to fix the problem. [/sarcasm]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 23:33   Link #7253
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

The simple short answer is the "how the hell is calculus gonna help me later in life?" mentality.
Old 2013-12-04, 02:39   Link #7254
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Many moons ago mathematics was actually taught as not just performing acrobatics with numbers, but as a preliminary "kindegarten" of sorts for learning how to take principles and ideas and apply them. In other words, kinda like a limited applied logic that you can "see". It's purpose was to train the mind to get used to following the train of a thought in a thorough way and even to become more "flexible" in ways so it would be grounded when approaching more involved subjects like philosophy or rhetoric or ethics or what not.

Nowadays mathematics is often taught as playing around with numbers devoid of a whole, practical organic context, and thus, well, unsurprisingly to some people it feels dry and tedious and, like erneiz hyde said "what has learning calculus got to do with real life" questions come to the surface reeaaallllyyyyy fast.

Not that learning how to use numbers is wrong, of course. That aspect of mathematics is very useful and needed and valued and all that, and for "real life" too, of course. But whether or no that limited aspect of the entire... err... intellectual discipline should be the main emotional emphasis or mental presupposition behind how it is commonly presented is an entirely different issue.
Old 2013-12-04, 04:18   Link #7255
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Could you quote the article? Because I find it pretty hard to believe that the sciences alienate people at all
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 07:30   Link #7256
Reverzer0
Sleeping

What is the meaning of suki in animesuki?
Old 2013-12-04, 07:49   Link #7257
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverzer0 View Post
http://jisho.org/

have a blast.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 08:23   Link #7258
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Could you quote the article? Because I find it pretty hard to believe that the sciences alienate people at all
Here is the the page for the thing I was refering to.
Old 2013-12-04, 08:26   Link #7259
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverzer0 View Post
like/love.

it's pretty much AnimeLove.
Old 2013-12-04, 08:29   Link #7260
JokerD

Does West Japan Railway trains run after midnight on public holidays?
Planning a trip to Japan over the new year and planning a Hatsumōde, but it would suck if I can't get a train back to the hotel afterwards...

On the website it says the last train is 10+pm on the 31st and first is 5+am on the 1st though... Although I found on some sites that Tokyo trains run through the night on new year (I'm going Osaka though)
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious