AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Old 2017-08-23, 04:54   Link #1
Roxis
Grumpy poster

Idol anime without yaoi-yuri pandering

I am looking for healthy idol anime where the characters are attracted to their opposite genders not to same ones.
Pripara is ones of few idol anime where i know the characters has hetero relationship
If anybody know others please recommend me.
Old 2017-08-23, 05:22   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you seen White Album? If you haven't, watch the first TV series since that one involved idols/pro-singers in the story. There's not much idols in White Album 2, it's a different series with highschool characters performing (but it's still a good heteromance anime).
Old 2017-08-23, 07:11   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

AKB0048 has little to no romance of any kind.
Old 2017-08-23, 12:03   Link #4
Roxis
Grumpy poster

@Obelisk
I once had watched WA2 but for one episode, given up after that, let see if i will give a second chance again.

@SeijiSensei
So that mean AKB0048 do has hetero romance?
Old 2017-08-23, 13:01   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It has essentially no romance. One of the main girls has a boyfriend early on, and he reappears again at the end of the first season. Otherwise that's it. No yuri pairings or hintings either. Just cute girls singing and dancing their way across the universe fighting against repressive galactic forces for the right to be entertained.

Here's a clip from the opening episode. The girls on the cliff become the mains after a time-skip to about age thirteen. Most of the other characters are the current performing members that you see in this clip. All of them have taken the names of popular AKB48 members. AKB0048 was written by Okada Mari and directed by Kawamori Shouji. Given its tie to idol group, Kawamori and Studio Satelight had a decent budget to work with.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I love Takamina's hairbow taser and Nyan Nyan's heart wand.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-08-23 at 13:12.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 20:49   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
@Obelisk
I once had watched WA2 but for one episode, given up after that, let see if i will give a second chance again.
Just remember, the one that has idols/pro-singers in it is White Album (1), not White Album 2. WA2 is more like a good highschool romance than idol story. Still, both series have a lot more drama than singing, just to warn you.
Old 2017-08-23, 21:41   Link #7
Verso Sciolto

Without giving away specific names of the idols involved, I can provide links for Yuri blogs or forum threads with comments about potential pairings within AKB0048. In a review for Yuri Nation, for example, there is the following line:
Quote:
"As always, if the show has yuri, I’ll talk about it before ending the review. AKB0048 has subtext galore, but there’s one specific couple that deserves the most attention, "
Spoiler:
According to:169th G-View: AKB0048 and that is by no means the only one.

There are a few anime without yaoi-yuri pandering but with straight-up depictions of healthy same-sex relationships. Primarily due to outdated and misguided mentalities, such depictions are not that common yet but mentalities seem to be changing very slowly towards greater acceptance of LGBT people in Japan in general. We may therefore gradually get to see more depictions of openly homosexual characters in general anime as well. This applies to the idol industry specifically as depicted in fiction too although the idol industry is hardly representative of society at large.

Same sex attractions exist and will thus be visible within any sufficiently large group of people. This extends to series mentioned in this thread as well. As in real life, you will encounter same sex attractions among idols without getting confirmation about the precise nature of their private relationships in anime as well. If you're sensitive to picking up hints, you're more than likely to see pairs of idols who seem/are closer to each other than to other members in their units, in any series about idols.

People who post on anime blogs and message boards where fans of idol-anime (or anime in general) gather are usually very good about sharing thoughts and observations regarding -potential- same sex pairings. Personally, I can't remember ever seeing an anime series about idols in which there were not some grounds for speculation that one or more of the idols were possibly romantically attracted to each other. There is always someone kind enough to point out the potential in case you missed some characters' possible attractions yourself. The characters may not in fact be gay but the possibility exists that they might be, and that's how it should be.

Given the size of the group(s) associated with "AKB" it is "statistically" improbable that there aren't any lesbian members and it would be nice if coming out were a possibility for idol group members as well as for "civilians" in real life and in fiction.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 06:49   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Anybody can put on yuri goggles and make claims about "subtext." I've watched both seasons of AKB0048 twice and see no lesbian yearnings between Kanata and TakaMina. Maybe I need new goggles. Whatever.

The only explicitly homosexual character in AKB0048 is the dance instructor, and he's male.
Old 2017-08-31, 22:42   Link #9
Verso Sciolto

The difference between “reading into” and “being presented with” is often in the eye of the beholder since few production committee members / animation studio representatives / writers etc have been willing to publicly confirm whether or not the impressions from certain shows are the result of “fan imaginations” or what might be called “pandering” from the side of the creators. In many shows we’re left with ambiguity. Denials from such quarters are often not persuasive either.

You are no doubt aware that you have no greater authority than the bloggers referenced when it comes to determining what does and does not constitute attraction or yearning. How good of a judge are you in such queer matters? What is the basis for your conclusion that the dance instructor in AKB0048 is a homosexual male and not, for example, a trans-sexual woman who is attracted to men? Are the gender identity and the sexual orientation of this character spelled out within the AKB0048 series? If so, how? Does Ushiyama-sensei explicitly enter into relationships with other characters? How does homosexuality manifest, within that universe, in other words?

In the end, whatever the case may be for these specific series, setting the criteria as outlined at the start of this thread seems the unhealthy aspect of this "conversation", to me. That approach will just result in missing out on interesting shows if the intent is to exclude series which don’t conform to the description. There are lesbians in idol groups and among their fans. I might be misunderstanding the request but it seems better to get used to the reality of lesbian idols and not force these lesbians and other queers into hiding themselves any longer.

For comic readers interested in the subject I hereby recommend Takemiya Jin’s "Mabushisa no Mukougawa" - whose single volume by that title could quite easily be adapted into an OVA - or perhaps even expanded into an anime series. Her down to earth depictions of the careers and relationships of idol group AKH49, their staff and fans are compelling enough for that. Leading us “To the other side of the Glare” beginning with the “worst kiss” scenario in the AKH49 Theater of dreams, demands and expectations…
Old 2017-10-07, 21:16   Link #10
Verso Sciolto

This thread appears to have stagnated but I feel compelled to bump it because the manga "Octave" came up again - in commentary on recently aired anime series. Haru Akiyama's manga remains a personal favourite, in part because of the take on the Japanese idol industry. With that reminder the thought resurfaced that "Octave" too has the potential to be a very interesting anime and therefore warranted a mention in this thread. A short but respectful adaptation would cover a lot of ground not always addressed in other series. Nearly ten years after publication "Octave" remains a topic of conversation and a "touchstone" story. There is precedent and the slight indication of a receptive environment in a few different places. The story starts with Yukino Miyashita. Upon first reading my immediate feeling was to take a chance on her. Hope even more people will. Therefore this reminder, in this topic. A little bit of lobbying, if you will...
Old 2017-10-08, 22:22   Link #11
Roxis
Grumpy poster

^I am more appreciated you recommended what in my OP title asked "Idol anime without yaoi-yuri pandering" because that was this thread title asked.
thank you.
Old 2017-10-08, 23:12   Link #12
Verso Sciolto

I think the request and the way it was formulated deserves a little discussion - broadening with examples of available idol related media facilitates that. Posted because I'm not sure AnimeSuki was set up to facilitate requests such as made in the OP. Are we -as other forum posters and members of this community- required to accommodate in a situation as created by this thread? Are we required to pander, in other words? Are we required to refrain from commenting if a topic seems to contain some questionable aspects?
Old 2017-10-09, 05:35   Link #13
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

He came to this section to ask for titles meeting his criteria. He did not phrase his request in a way that invites in depth discussion about it. You might be interested in it, he is not. Respect that.
Old 2017-10-09, 08:17   Link #14
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
He came to this section to ask for titles meeting his criteria. He did not phrase his request in a way that invites in depth discussion about it. You might be interested in it, he is not. Respect that.
Is that the position of the AnimeSuki moderation team for an OP phrased like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
...."healthy idol anime"...
, followed by those criteria in the first comment. Is that the line of thought for which you are requesting "respect"? Please state as clear as you can make it what you are requiring and in whose name the request is made to abide.
Old 2017-10-09, 18:10   Link #15
AnimeFangirl

Came here to suggest White Album too. Just be aware that it is very heavy on the relationship drama and none of those relationships are what I would call "healthy". It reminded me of a certain anime with a nice boat in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Is that the position of the AnimeSuki moderation team for an OP phrased like that?
The moderation is fine. If you don't have a suggestion to make, take up your issues with the OP in a private message.
Old 2017-10-10, 22:59   Link #16
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Came here to suggest White Album too. Just be aware that it is very heavy on the relationship drama and none of those relationships are what I would call "healthy". It reminded me of a certain anime with a nice boat in it...

The moderation is fine. If you don't have a suggestion to make, take up your issues with the OP in a private message.
I have several more suggestions to make. Including to other posters in this thread. Someone could ask, in follow up to an earlier recommendation, if the presence of choreographer Ushiyama-sensei in AKB0048 had an impact on their enjoyment of that story as told, for example. If watched since then...
In that respect, it is useful to know if a LGTBQ dance instructor is something which can be tolerated in an idol series. Knowing how much screen time a queer "side character" can get away with before a show is turned off because it turns out to fall outside the criteria on which we are asked to discriminate... which series to suggest or exclude... See where I'm going? Knowing information like that helps with adjusting responses accordingly, don't you think?

"Wake up Girls" had their cast wearing, what might -to some colour sensitive people- look like, rainbow coloured scrunchies. A fairly important element of this season's first episode. Should we flag that, in the context of this thread? ... and while I don't remember seeing "black guys" in earlier episodes of this series either, I do have recollections of "heterosexual" men "acting" outrageously -towards the young women in the idol group portrayed. "Is that acceptable?", we may well wonder, for the purpose of this thread?

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-12 at 03:57.
Old 2017-10-11, 09:53   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Please state as clear as you can make it what you are requiring and in whose name the request is made to abide.
He is asking for suggestions for idol anime that pander to straight relationships, not gay relationships. His choice of wording isn't great, and it's possible to infer that he does not approve of gay relationships because of that, but it's also obvious that he's terrible at English and he sucks at phrasing.

No one cares what you think of his request. It's not violating any rules, and people have no problem offering suggestions. So if he's not the problem, and they aren't the problem, then perhaps the problem is you. Stop looking for trouble where it doesn't exist. There's no requirement that you have to answer his request.

Don't get bogged down in details. Offer some titles, mention some caveats, and move on with your life. Or don't. It's not a difficult thing.