AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-04-14, 09:35   Link #3741
Seitsuki
Onee!

The form in use in the first example is しないと which basically means 'unless x'. Yatte minaito wakaranai = If we don't try we won't know.

The second is しなければなりません, meaning 'have to do x'. Ikenakereba narimasen = I have to go.

The trick is understanding all the different contractions or speaking styles and narrowing it down to the root grammar structure.
Old 2014-04-14, 09:46   Link #3742
Kirihara_R

Well , I dont know if this a proper explanation since I'm really not that great at japanese .. but yeah Its another different form , so for the "yatte minakya wakaranai" I think the "conditional form" has been used ..which in polite form can be also be "yatte minakereba wakarimasen or Yaranakereba Wakarimasen" ,these two is basically the same but the "nakya" is more casual or normal way of speaking or "futsuu" .. and these form are different from "we have to do it " in japanese "Yatte minaito" or Yaranakya naranai form ..

and as for the Ikanakucha/ Ikanakya ( I have to go ) thats correct , but for Ikanakya ikemasen they basically the same but this one is more polite I think.. ..

As long its not "Ittewa Ikemasen"

I hope this can help .. but to be sure ,ask also the others for opinions or wait for another explanation..
Kirihara_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 09:03   Link #3743
Zakoo

Hello, a new problem arose for me, I don't manage to understand the differences between :

-Wake ni wa ikanai

-Wake ni mo ikanai

According to some website, the first one means "Because of A I canno't do B" and the second is "because of A I have to do B", though the exemple taken is :

Meaning : Doing it alone will be hard, but since everybody is busy there's no way I can receive help. The exemple doesn't even follow the grammatical law, did I misunderstand something ?

Thanks guys, you save me as always.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 09:23   Link #3744
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

From my understanding, the first one stands by itself, while the second one have a different first clause, just like in that example.
Old 2014-07-09, 18:02   Link #3745
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Hello, a new problem arose for me, I don't manage to understand the differences between :

-Wake ni wa ikanai

-Wake ni mo ikanai

According to some website, the first one means "Because of A I canno't do B" and the second is "because of A I have to do B"
You misunderstood the website (This one right?).

"I cannot do B" is when you use the dictionary/root form of a verb in front of "wake ni wa/mo ikanai" like in your example sentence.
"I have to do B" (literally "I cannot not do B") is when you use the negative form of a verb in front of "wake ni wa/mo ikanai".

The website formatting is poor but it defines these under A) and B).

Using "mo" instead of "wa" in this phrase just means there is something else you can't do/have to do (that may or may not have been mentioned in a previous sentence).
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 07:32   Link #3746
Zakoo

Hahaha, thanks a lot guys, Indeed it's this website and I misunderstood it. That helps a lot, those sentences are used a lot in light novel so it was kind of bothersome to not fully understand everything.

Arigatou.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 21:05   Link #3747
Dopplegeist

I would like to write "A bird flying through the sky gazes over the sea". I am having a lot of trouble with the word particles, the verb tenses (use of suru?) and the word order.

toki / Time
umi / Sea
見下ろす miorosu / To look down upon
sora / Sky
飛ばす tobasu / To fly
tori / Bird

What I've tried...

鳥が飛ばすを空 (The bird flies through the sky)

見下ろを海 (Overlooking the sea?)

I do not know how to unite these sentences either. I would appreciate some guidance.

DG
Dopplegeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 22:19   Link #3748
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

空を飛ばしている鳥が海を見下ろす

would be the simplest and most literal in the absence of any context and using the words you want to work with

BTW when using を what comes after is the 他動詞 verb, or noun with verb phrase, not a single noun alone.....at least I have never seen a single noun alone used with that particle
Old 2014-07-20, 11:55   Link #3749
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I think 飛ばしている is a wrong form to use there.

飛んでる makes more sense
Old 2014-07-20, 19:14   Link #3750
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I think 飛ばしている is a wrong form to use there.

飛んでる makes more sense
している describes state of being right? So shouldn't it be applicable to bird's state of being in flight?
Old 2014-07-20, 19:24   Link #3751
sneaker

I think the problem is that "飛ばす" might not the correct or best verb in the first place as opposed to "飛ぶ".

According to Wictionary:
飛ばす to let fly; to send flying; to throw
飛ぶ to fly

So 飛んで(い)る should be correct.

Though jisho.org says 飛ばす also means "to fly"...

Last edited by sneaker; 2014-07-20 at 20:56.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 22:54   Link #3752
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
I think the problem is that "飛ばす" might not the correct or best verb in the first place as opposed to "飛ぶ".

According to Wictionary:
飛ばす to let fly; to send flying; to throw
飛ぶ to fly

So 飛んで(い)る should be correct.

Though jisho.org says 飛ばす also means "to fly"...
"To fly" like in "to fly a kite" as in the definition:
1 空中を飛ぶようにする。「模型飛行機を―・す」「風船を―・す」
飛ぶ is indeed the correct verb for Dopplegeist's sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
BTW when using を what comes after is the 他動詞 verb, or noun with verb phrase, not a single noun alone.....at least I have never seen a single noun alone used with that particle
No, this is not always the case. を has multiple uses aside from the common direct object marking. See here.
Using the sentence above as an example I could say 空を飛んでいる and that would be fine despite 飛ぶ being an intransitive verb.
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 20:10   Link #3753
Dopplegeist

In anime/manga I have heard ワープ much common for anything involving FTL, versus 瞬間移動 the official term for teleportation. Anime Dragonball Z uses 瞬間移動 but it seems to be the only one, why is this? Because ワープ is shorter, easier to say?
Old 2014-08-21, 07:45   Link #3754
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Need to check this out:

Quote:
楽しょうぜ
I heard this somewhere. Not sure what it is in English.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 08:03   Link #3755
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Perhaps it meant 楽勝 (rakushou)? If it is, then it means "easy win", "simple", things like that.
Old 2014-08-21, 21:52   Link #3756
Dopplegeist

From One Piece Wikia:

Quote:
Hyakuhachi Pound Ho (百八煩悩(ポンド)鳳 Hyakuhachi Pondo Hō?, kanji meaning "Phoenix of the 108 Earthly Desires"; furigana meaning "108 Pound Phoenix/Cannon")

The attack's name is actually a very heavy pun — it is written out as "Phoenix of the 108 Earthly Desires" in the manga with a skewed reading attached that makes it "108 Pound Hō" when read out. Ho means both "cannon" (砲 Hō?) and "phoenix" (鳳 Hō?), however the attached kanji is for "phoenix", making that the literal translation and the "cannon" reading a pun on that, both of which are correct. The "pound" part is a skewed reading of the kanji for "earthly desires" (煩悩 Bonnō?), and it is referring to the caliber of a cannon (a 108 Caliber Cannon would fire a 108 Pound Ball).
What is skewed reading? How can 煩悩 be pronounced ポンド? I don't see it.
Old 2014-08-21, 21:59   Link #3757
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

煩悩 is pronounced 'bonnou'. It can be skewed somewhat to kinda sounds like 'paundo'. It doesn't mean it's actually read as paundo.
Old 2014-08-22, 21:52   Link #3758
Dopplegeist

石像鬼

Is this pronounce, sekizōki? Is Chinese term for "gargoyle" so I assume 鬼 pronounced with onyomi, but not sure.
Old 2014-08-22, 22:08   Link #3759
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Yep. The same can be said of vampire (吸血鬼, kyuuketsuki, lit., "blood-sucking demon").
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 22:50   Link #3760
Dopplegeist

Can 燃 be recognized as "moe" given the common association with Moe, or must it always be read as moeru? If it can't be recognized as "moe" why is it always write 燃える?

Tags
hiragana