AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2018-04-14, 15:31   Link #21
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
AT-X and WOWOW show nipples, but my God, are we really 14-year-olds who will judge the quality of a work based on just nipples?

So many people DxD >>>>>>>> Shingeki no Kiyojin?
I think a friend of mine said it best: "How else are we supposed to know if a girl is excited? By looking at her face? NO ONE DOES THAT ANYMORE!" So to answer your question, umm, questions, although I don't speak for everyone here, sadly yes, just by that, on other forum populations.
Old 2018-04-14, 23:37   Link #22
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yep, Yabuki's reputation was definitely a factor in their decision. I believe he stated Lala and Zero Two looking so similar and sharing the same voice actress was just a coincidence, but whatever the case, I think it helped draw in the To Love-ru fanbase.

As for why the anime doesn't have nipples, your guess is as good as mine. I actually have no clue how anime BDs are rated in Japan. Maybe there are different regulations for manga and anime, with manga being able to get away with more stuff. Or maybe it's just a creative decision.
I think at least someone important enough on the production team knew about how similar Lala and Zero Two looked and how they shared the same JP voice actress. Yabuki is very experienced at making characters who look like Lala look attractive, so my guess is that he was a shoo-in from the start.

There is evidence of at least some "ratings control" by license holders. For instance, there are a number of commercial non-18+ manga and light novels illustrated by artists who regularly make 18+ works. I don't think I've ever seen those same artists do 18+ work for franchises they've commercially worked on, so there has to be some sort of contract those artists have to sign to not produce official-looking 18+ art for those franchises, most likely so that people don't see 18+ art for a non-18+ franchise made by the official artist, and then mistake the original franchise for being an 18+ one.

Besides, how much of a ratings difference is there between the level of explicit material seen in the DitF anime versus the DitF manga? There has to be something problematic about the level of explicit material that Yabuki is allowed to use, otherwise they wouldn't have to go through all that trouble to censor it in the anime version, one way or another. I still don't know why in some cases it's okay for the manga to be less censored than the anime (like in DitF) or for the anime to be less censored than the manga or LN (like in Strike the Blood). Japanese media companies have always valued tight control over their public image, so why these small but very noticeable differences?

Or in other words, here's what one anime fan said in response to a complaint about "indecent" late night anime being aired on Japanese TV:

Quote:
“I’ve never even seen indecent late night anime. For some reason mysterious mists and flashes of light always save me from seeing anything bad.”
Well, someone had to be paid to put those mists and light beams (or what-have-you) into the animation, so it was important enough to spend budget on while saving the censorship removal for the hardcopy release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Nah, 02 is the mixture of Lala and Nemesis.

Hiro is consist of Rito for character and personality of maybe Yami.

Ichigo is like Haruna with personality of maybe Rin.
How is Hiro like Yami? He doesn't have a weakness for taiyaki nor does he go attacking people who do "indecent things" around him. Ichigo might be a bit like Rin since Rin wanted most to do her duty to Saki and Ichigo values her duty, but Rin was never a commander of a military unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That wasn't what he was saying.

And what's wrong with what you said anyway? People can enjoy widely different shows for different reasons. I can pick up and enjoy shows for their stories, or their superior production values, or their characters, or their comedy, or their setting, or their fights, etc... and sometimes, I can pick up a show because I want to see some boobs.
Plenty of manga artists and anime producers make the fanservice a priority, all the way from Ken Akamatsu for Love Hina to Sakurako Gokurakuin for Sekirei to original anime series like Cross Ange. There's clearly a market for that level of fanservice and there will likely always be one.

I will say one thing though. One way the level of fanservice in the manga adaptation of DitF is better than the level of fanservice in the DitF anime is that the former is more realistic. In real life, hair generally doesn't act in the censor-pleasing way it did for Zero Two when she first met Hiro in Episode 1 without being held down by something external. This wasn't the case for the manga adaptation of that same scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
I think a friend of mine said it best: "How else are we supposed to know if a girl is excited? By looking at her face? NO ONE DOES THAT ANYMORE!" So to answer your question, umm, questions, although I don't speak for everyone here, sadly yes, just by that, on other forum populations.
Excited? There have been plenty of female anime characters who have been suddenly doused with very cold water without any trace of what you mention. That's probably a detail that would be considered inappropriate for anything outside of an 18+ anime production, unless the character in question had it "always-on" (and there are some female characters who have been designed that way).

About the actual manga itself, how is Yabuki going to handle dramatic moments like Episodes 13 and 14 from the show? Does he actually have a history of making those scenes poignant in manga form? To Love-Ru generally wasn't like that.

Also, we got one of the flashback scenes from Episode 13 of the original anime early on in the manga instead. I wonder how it will affect the manga adaptation's version of the anime's episode 13 when the manga gets there.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 01:49   Link #23
MAX_COLA_POWER!

It's basically like this, 1/10 of the general thought of Yabuki taking the reigns for this is giving him the benefit of the doubt since he made Black Cat and that series was pretty well received, it's the 9/10 part that was just him drowning in TLR, with the 2 series, the bangai hens, the art books, the calendars, etc., that is making the general population go cringe city on this attempt. Like, since he spent so much time on TLR, why not go with the flow and just switch to H? There's no need for him to go Magic Eye on genital shots anymore if he decided to do so.
Old 2018-04-15, 04:01   Link #24
xrick

It's, most surely, way less profitable for him and his carrer as a Mangaka.
Old 2018-04-15, 05:22   Link #25
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
How is Hiro like Yami? He doesn't have a weakness for taiyaki nor does he go attacking people who do "indecent things" around him. Ichigo might be a bit like Rin since Rin wanted most to do her duty to Saki and Ichigo values her duty, but Rin was never a commander of a military unit.
Well, we don't know much about who resembles who and which personality resembles who. Like Ichigo maybe a bit like Rin but this time i wonder if Rin's personality plays as a commander not to mention since Ichigo's appearance could be mixture of Haruna and Kyoko.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 06:13   Link #26
Cosmic Eagle
……『青い空』、きっとキレイなんだろうなぁ

Quote:
Funny you mention Mayoi Neko Overrun. I know of another LN series, Strike the Blood, whose anime adaptation was actually more explicit, not less, in its fanservice than either the original LN or the manga adaptation were.

There are still lines to toe though. For instance, unless an 18+ anime series was based on 18+ source, you won't get an 18+ version of that anime. For that matter, I don't think the producers of anime series will allow official 18+ merchandise or even merchandise that is more explicit than the original's rating, such as figures with removable clothes, to be officially sold either.
It doesn't work that way as a matter of absolutes tbh...There's plenty of titles which has 18+ on one medium and PG-13 on another

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 23:09   Link #27
Mazryonh

Sample Images from the Manga

I saw this over at the anime thread, so I thought these samples belonged here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
manga cover vol 2

Images
Ichigo l
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This is what I call coincidence. hahahaha

bonus

NSFW
girls
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ikuno's design in the second picture for some reason resembles Mitsuko Kongou from To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, but then again I don't remember seeing her look like that in the anime in Episode 14 earlier.

My guess is that Aniplex is deliberately marketing the manga as a less-censored version of the anime, since I think it's unlikely they'll release less-censored BDs of the anime series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
It doesn't work that way as a matter of absolutes tbh...There's plenty of titles which has 18+ on one medium and PG-13 on another
There's an order to these things. If a franchise's original material wasn't 18+ to begin with, or intended to have 18+ elements in a future incarnation all along, it's very unlikely to get an 18+, or even a more explicit version, in the future. For instance, Princess Lover was based on an 18+ game and thus got an 18+ OVA once its all-ages anime adaptation was over. A few exceptions exist, such as how Little Busters! got an all-ages anime adaptation and then got an 18+ game, but those are very rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
It's basically like this, 1/10 of the general thought of Yabuki taking the reigns for this is giving him the benefit of the doubt since he made Black Cat and that series was pretty well received, it's the 9/10 part that was just him drowning in TLR, with the 2 series, the bangai hens, the art books, the calendars, etc., that is making the general population go cringe city on this attempt. Like, since he spent so much time on TLR, why not go with the flow and just switch to H? There's no need for him to go Magic Eye on genital shots anymore if he decided to do so.
Sure, Yabuki already has made a name for himself and might do rather well if he switched to exclusively making 18+ manga. But from what I can tell most of those artists rarely if ever make it big, unless they also make a name for themselves working on mainstream (rated 17+) productions too. So while it would be less restrictive, I think he doesn't want to lose out by switching to a genre that almost always makes less money than what he's used to.

Last edited by Mazryonh; 2018-04-20 at 22:40.
Old 2018-04-20, 01:44   Link #28
Ramero

Did i just saw Rito in girl version at that NSFW pic? Must be nice to see Rito as girl in Franxx
Old 2018-04-20, 12:14   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Did i just saw Rito in girl version at that NSFW pic? Must be nice to see Rito as girl in Franxx
Who do you think looks like Riko? I'm not seeing any similarities.
Old 2018-04-20, 13:40   Link #30
Ramero

It is not, just thinking of adding the length of her hair makes her looks like Riko.
Old 2018-04-20, 22:42   Link #31
Mazryonh

Quote:
It is not, just thinking of adding the length of her hair makes her looks like Riko.
Are you talking about the way that Yabuki drew Miku?
Old 2018-04-20, 23:26   Link #32
Cosmic Eagle
……『青い空』、きっとキレイなんだろうなぁ

Quote:

There's an order to these things. If a franchise's original material wasn't 18+ to begin with, or intended to have 18+ elements in a future incarnation all along, it's very unlikely to get an 18+, or even a more explicit version, in the future. For instance, Princess Lover was based on an 18+ game and thus got an 18+ OVA once its all-ages anime adaptation was over. A few exceptions exist, such as how Little Busters! got an all-ages anime adaptation and then got an 18+ game, but those are very rare.
There's also the fact that age restrictions in manga tend to be loser than those in TV anime for obvious reasons; manga isn't literally broadcast into everyone's homes. How many TV anime you see are censored? Now go to a bookstore and see how many manga have full frontal nudity in them. Also, there's a large difference between having full nudity and/or some subtle sex scenes vs flat out explicit sex. You won't find the latter in non-H, wide audience manga but the former is quite common in that category

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-22, 11:46   Link #33
Blueknight78

man after watch the last 3 or 4 episodes of the anime i do hope the only thing they are allowing yabuki do is the fanservice and they don't allow him touch the script and turn things in a sort of "to love ru 2.0" which ichigo forever stuck in love for hiro and things like that, the drama in the last episodes already was big and have it "taking even more time will be annoying.

Last edited by Blueknight78; 2018-04-22 at 13:48.
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-22, 11:55   Link #34
xrick

Quite surely the Manga version is being done under supervision of the Anime staff...I guess?
Old 2018-04-22, 13:51   Link #35
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Quite surely the Manga version is being done under supervision of the Anime staff...I guess?
i do hope it, i really don't want yabuki turn it in another crap harem or something like that with crap situation for the sake of ship wars and have many girls fallen for the mc and he start to turning in a indecise mc and things like that, because the manga already going in a little different route and i don't want it go full different way specially knowing the previous work of the guy in charge of it.
Old 2018-04-22, 14:29   Link #36
xrick

Remember that this isn't an original story of his. He must have some rules set by the Anime staff from the get-go.
Old 2018-04-22, 17:34   Link #37
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't think the manga is taking a different route. It's just taking shortcuts. I don't think they've planned to have it run for too long, although that might change given the high sales.
Old 2018-04-22, 18:53   Link #38
xrick

Honestly, I hope they keep taking shortcuts. That way, only the meat of the plot remains, leaving any potential filler material from the Anime away from it
Old 2018-04-22, 22:34   Link #39
Mazryonh

Quote:
And that's why I don't understand why the manga gets to be more explicit than the actual anime, especially given that the anime shows no signs of including the level of fanservice seen in the manga. Whatever the real reason, the DitF manga is an official DitF product, so if those looking to control the franchise's age rating were looking to stick to a PG-13 rating, the manga sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
There's also the fact that age restrictions in manga tend to be loser than those in TV anime for obvious reasons; manga isn't literally broadcast into everyone's homes. How many TV anime you see are censored? Now go to a bookstore and see how many manga have full frontal nudity in them. Also, there's a large difference between having full nudity and/or some subtle sex scenes vs flat out explicit sex. You won't find the latter in non-H, wide audience manga but the former is quite common in that category
How many non-h manga I've seen have full-frontal nudity? Not many that go to the degree of To Love-Ru. The most famous non-H, wide audience manga that had explicit sex I can think of is probably Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, but that was published when censorship standards were looser. It's possible that the gritty war story full of explicit romantic affairs depicted in that story would likely earn that manga title an 18+ rating today.

Sure, manga isn't broadcast into people's homes, but Japanese networks like AT-X has broadcast plenty of less-censored anime into people's home in Japan. Do they even demand proof of age at manga stores in Japan? If not, then nothing's stopping Japanese middle schoolers from walking out of those stores with copies of the DitF manga after paying for them, or even the old-fashioned method of reading loaned copies from friends.

The main problem for me is that copyright holders obviously have a stake in keeping their content within a certain age rating, otherwise there wouldn't be a restriction keeping official artists from making 18+ fan art of franchises they were hired to commercially draw for. But if you allow more explicit official depictions of your franchise, you risk drawing the negative publicity that comes with it, and from what I've seen there are a lot of puritans who complain about media that is too explicit for them in Japan.

It also doesn't explain why an anime series like Strike the Blood can be more explicit than either its source material from the LN or its manga adaptation.

Quote:
Honestly, I hope they keep taking shortcuts. That way, only the meat of the plot remains, leaving any potential filler material from the Anime away from it
Have you forgotten about what's in that "filler material" and what Yabuki's famous for? Given Yabuki's reputation from To Love-Ru, I'm sure a lot of DitF manga readers are looking forward to what he'll do for the manga adaptation of episodes 7 and 8 from the anime.
Old 2018-04-23, 02:27   Link #40
xrick

Quote:
Have you forgotten about what's in that "filler material" and what Yabuki's famous for? Given Yabuki's reputation from To Love-Ru, I'm sure a lot of DitF manga readers are looking forward to what he'll do for the manga adaptation of episodes 7 and 8 from the anime.
That is if the Manga ends up adapting those episodes. Gotta wait until they finally get through Ep06 to find out.
I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly skipped a few events to get the Manga plot almost close to the Anime's.