AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-02-15, 12:05   Link #1
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Microsoft Windows Phone 7 Revealed

If you haven't know, Microsoft have revealed their next mobile phone OS called Windows Phone 7 which is a complete redesign of the OS and they are killing Windows Mobile. Although the interface looks alright and pretty, I think this is a step backwards because a few reasons:
- No Multitasking (Something that Windows Mobile had for ages and I have used it, but it's rather slow... and Google Android have multitasking)
- More restricted - No more Activesync or any third party shells or skins and there is a rumor that that you can only buy apps from the Marketplace, and you can't install applications from a SD card. In a sense, Not to mention, none of the existing Windows Mobile apps will work on this.
- Only works on Windows (while other phones like the Apple iPhone (Win/Mac), Android (All OSes), Blackberry and Palm Pre works on multiple OSes.) Not everyone uses Windows, well it was the same with Windows Mobile, but atleast there was third party apps like "The Missing Sync" to use Windows Mobile devices on Mac OS X
- No Third Party Browsers - You are pretty much stuck with IE, which doesn't support some of the web standards. I can't say that others aren't guilty for it, but Android, iPhone, Blackberry and others are using Webkit, which is a better rendering engine than IE. Not to mention, it doesn't support Flash, which is already on Android phones...

I can't see this catch on to many people since the popularity of iPhone, Blackberry and Android and Android being a better platform than Windows Phone since it's more open and don't have restrictions. I don't think this will fail, but I think it's not going to sell as many because they are releasing it 10 months later and by then, Android and iPhone will probably be leaving Microsoft in the dust let again.

What is your thoughts on Windows Phone?
Old 2010-02-15, 13:02   Link #2
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Microsoft launches one of its most ambitious (if not most ambitious) projects: the rebranding of Windows Mobile. The company is introducing the new mobile OS at Mobile World Congress 2010, in Barcelona, and if the press is anything to be believed, this is just the beginning. The phone operating system does away with pretty much every scrap of previous mobile efforts from Microsoft, from the look and feel down to the underlying code -- everything is brand new.
Old 2010-02-15, 15:43   Link #3
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
- No Multitasking
ಠ_ಠ

I don't really care about it, but seriously?
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 16:11   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a reason real-time embedded systems are most likely NOT a Microsoft product.... and they seem about to demonstrate why once more.
Old 2010-02-15, 17:40   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
- No Multitasking
HAH.

Quote:
- No Third Party Browsers
Of course they'll do that. I'm sure a significant section of Microsoft employees don't like this either, but it's almost part of the company philosophy as a proprietary software provider to do so.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 18:07   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
ಠ_ಠ

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ble.drawbacks/ - Yep, no multitasking...

With no real multitasking, one cannot browse the web, have a IM client open, check email and download something at the same time. With the iPhone and jailbreaking, I can do this with backgrounder, but without any jailbreak for Windows phone, you are pretty much restricted, which is why Android looks as a better choice. If iPhone OS 4.0 comes with Multitasking for third party apps, Microsoft will be in big trouble and Android and webOS (I think) already have multitasking.

Also, Windows phone doesn't allow you to customize the interface. As I know, I don't think you can change the background nor change the panels on the phone. Android on the other hand is highly customizable...

I fail to see this as a Android killer, because it's simply another walled garden, just made crappier than the iPhone. I would rather have them take WM 6.5, get rid of the stylus UI and improve it and add multitouch and call it Windows Mobile 7, but this... I don't think many people will buy a Windows phone over a Android, Blackberry, webOS or even a iPhone device for that matter.
Old 2010-02-15, 18:22   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
LOLsoft does it again...
Old 2010-02-15, 18:28   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its gotten quite funny watching phone vendors try to *avoid* mentioning that the device has Windows Mobile on it (fine print way bottom type of admissions).
Old 2010-02-16, 00:55   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's gotten even more funny now that it's undergone a second renaming. Microsoft just can't get that albatross around their neck named Windows CE away fast enough, can they?
Old 2010-02-17, 01:25   Link #10
LynnieS

Quote:
http://www.electronista.com/articles...ble.drawbacks/ - Yep, no multitasking...

With no real multitasking, one cannot browse the web, have a IM client open, check email and download something at the same time. With the iPhone and jailbreaking, I can do this with backgrounder, but without any jailbreak for Windows phone, you are pretty much restricted, which is why Android looks as a better choice. If iPhone OS 4.0 comes with Multitasking for third party apps, Microsoft will be in big trouble and Android and webOS (I think) already have multitasking.
I'm... undecided as to whether or not being able to multitask is/is not a good thing on a mobile device (ex. laptops). Depending on the CPU (or whatever hardware to which processing can be offloaded), letting too many apps run simultaneously could mean overall performance becomes unacceptable. You might also get crappy software that people write that are resource hogs; not everyone knows how to write enterprise-level software, unfortunately, and having lots of RAM and a powerful CPU/GPU forgive many sins. Both are problems (requiring a hardware arms race) that people might not want.

Quote:
Also, Windows phone doesn't allow you to customize the interface. As I know, I don't think you can change the background nor change the panels on the phone. Android on the other hand is highly customizable...
Not really an issue for me. I've seen some horrible look-and-feel UI designs on stuff that are built in-house, so if the OS imposes a reasonable level of conformity, I can live with it. UI designs tend to be either the same as everyone else's or wildly different so relearning has to be done first. With screen size usually at a premium on mobile devices, that may also be a necessity.

Quote:
I fail to see this as a Android killer, because it's simply another walled garden, just made crappier than the iPhone. I would rather have them take WM 6.5, get rid of the stylus UI and improve it and add multitouch and call it Windows Mobile 7, but this... I don't think many people will buy a Windows phone over a Android, Blackberry, webOS or even a iPhone device for that matter.
My gut feeling is that any organization that has already standardized on - and made a significant investment in - Microsoft tech would look very hard at changing to this. A move away by an organization will likely go to Blackberry since that is already well-established with good support - followed by (a distinct 3rd possibility, IMHO) the iPhone.

Android... As a techie who likes to tinker with things myself, I would like to eventually get one to hack into, but putting on my developer/systems architect hat, I'd wait awhile longer. I'm not even sure if mobile devices with the Android OS is being targeted for groups outside of pure consumers and hobbyists...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 13:18   Link #11
MukiEX

Because what mobile platforms really need are less supported computers, a more expensive development setup, all of the iPhone's disadvantages, and an attempt to kill OpenGL ES 2.0.

Seriously, this'll be the greatest mobile platform since the Virtual Boy.
MukiEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 14:39   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukiEX View Post
Because what mobile platforms really need are less supported computers, a more expensive development setup, all of the iPhone's disadvantages, and an attempt to kill OpenGL ES 2.0.

Seriously, this'll be the greatest mobile platform since the Virtual Boy.
I'm taking this as sarcasm... I guess.

I won't be surprised if Windows phone only allows you to use Silverlight and C# to develop applications.
Old 2010-02-17, 16:24   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm finding it hilarious that the first Intel Moorestown phone is shunning Microsoft altogether and running the new Maemo/Moblin Linux hybrid OS...
Old 2010-02-17, 17:15   Link #14
SirJeannot
AT Field

correct me if i'm mistaken, but there is no clear proof that multitasking won't be available.
anyway, waiting for the first shipment to arrive

Quote:
ಠ_ಠ
it really is. for example having skype in the background is very convenient. combine that with a torrent client and maybe openvpn - or calling using hadsfree bluetooth while the gps navi is on, you get the whole idea (the last one is the very reason i still keep my wm phone with me, the iphone is provided by my company).

having the iphone play music and logged on on skype is not possible, and it's a real shame considering how nifty the application is.
Old 2010-02-17, 18:53   Link #15
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

@SirJeannot

Yes, multitasking is essential in my opinion. I don't care about this because I plan to stay way from any mobile OS made by MS, but not being able to multi task in this day and age is ridiculous.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 12:11   Link #16
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Another thing I find funny about the Windows phone besides lacking multitasking, flash, having a crappy web browser (all other phones uses Webkit) and having a closed garden is that there is no Cut/Copy/Paste, something that all the Smartphones have including the iPhone:

Quote:
As far as I could tell, there is currently no copy/paste functionality. We were told that “developers will hear more about that” at Microsoft’s MIX conference next month, though it was implied that it would be about why copy and paste “won’t be necessary” rather than when it was coming.
Source: http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/02/...windows-phone/

Like always, the Windows phone 7 Series is a complete joke for leaving those features out... when these missing features are on Android!
Old 2010-02-18, 15:05   Link #17
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
@SirJeannot
Yes, multitasking is essential in my opinion. I don't care about this because I plan to stay way from any mobile OS made by MS, but not being able to multi task in this day and age is ridiculous.
got bored of wm as well?
I just want to believe there is going to be a really good mobile OS some day. that means believing ms did something different too.
i'm just scared of being dissappointed again.

with friends this, day, we were comparing the fact that a "perfect" (between quotes because it's something that has to do with a personal point of view) phone is like a perfect woman : just an ideal, nothing real
Old 2010-02-18, 20:04   Link #18
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Send a message via ICQ to Knyghtblade Send a message via AIM to Knyghtblade
I'd still own this over an iphone. hell i'd rather go without then touch anything apple.

I'll withhold judgement until it actually hits. I am one of the 5-6 people who actually likes his winmo phone because i can program my own shit for it...anything more than basic functionality is what i have an assortment of laptops for.

that said, the zuneHD was an amazing piece of hardware, what they need to do is go the phone route with it and have an internal piece of hardware running a mobile OS.
Knyghtblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 21:09   Link #19
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

There is a reason why I hardly use or like Microsoft products, mainly because of their business practices (like with Windows Genuine Advantage) and also their rather subpar products.

Don't get me wrong, I have used Windows Mobile 2003 with a old Dell Axim I got several years back and also a Windows Mobile 6 device, Samsung Blackjack. Both of these devices are garbage because I have to reset the device several times because they either freeze and also have problems with WM6 with the whole OS running so painfully slow and taking more steps just to so a simple task that could easily be done on other phones like Android. After one year, I ditch the Blackjack for a jailbroken iPhone and thank god I got rid of that crap... Well, of course Android devices didn't exist back then or only on T-mobile, so I couldn't get an Android phone.

I still think Windows phone 7 is still garbage and just a copy of Apple's walled garden without the simple things like multitasking and copy and paste... All these smartphones (except the iPhone with third party app multitasking) have these features. This is the main reason I perfer platforms like Android since it's completely open and doesn't have stupid crud like this.

And, yes, it's possible to write your own apps on Android without using Google's App Store.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2010-02-18 at 21:43.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 22:26   Link #20
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Windows Phone 7 Series might not suck but the name certainly does. I've had blackberries, S60 phones, a WM6 phone, two iPhones, and now I have a phone running Android. Windows Mobile was easily the most unpleasant. Even S60 was preferable.

MS moving towards a more Apple like approach isn't going to hurt them too much IMO. People are already used to these stupid limitations.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote