AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-03, 12:58   Link #61
Katapan
俺様祭り

Just to give another quick (diverging) opinion: I really enjoyed the first episode. It was about everything I had expected - Seven Arcs putting making a good use of the most likely sizable budget (I know I'll be rewatching this once a HD version comes out), Hirano Aya and Mizuki Nana delivering their usual performances (which I found good in both cases, but not outstanding (yet?)), and Maeno Tomoaki continuing to impress me.

This feels like the kind of story that may really get enthralling once everything really unfold. Of course, waiting for this might put some people to sleep... but I usually enjoy watching things slowly build up. It also feels intriguing to have the story happen in 1986, which the OST usually didn't fail to remind me.

I can only hope the rest of the show keeps looking this good - the art was consistent, but some of the animation was also original at times, which isn't something I wasn't expecting from a Seven Arcs production (not that often, mind you - this isn't a masterpiece of animation either... just a few nice moments here and there). They must have the right people working on this.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 14:18   Link #62
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Haa...?
I don't see the story here... Rather, I can't even figure out the characters... By trying, I was able to grasp some story...
Spoiler for ...:

As expected from the fact the story was "Hah?", it wasn't that exciting... The atmosphere and such seem to have a potential to become interesting, but at this moment, I feel like looking at the blue sky...

...Voice for the red-hair doesn't match... (´・ω・`)
The bicycle girl came from Shikabane Bou-Hime...
What's wrong with the protagonist... Kind of weird at times, in an amusing manner.

Well, putting the story and the somewhat odd BGM aside, the OP/ED themes were good at least. OP's visuals were... nothing, but the ED's was nicely done, I feel...

Hmm... Have to give a few more episodes to figure out what will be going on...

EDIT: Well, not really "red"... Red-brown...?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 15:22   Link #63
Katapan
俺様祭り

Oh, yeah. I suppose I should make it clear: when I'm praising the story, I'm refering to what's indicated in every synopsis out there... I'm sure I'll love the whole friendship/rivalry deal, which we only got hints of so far.

As for the first episode's story, it was indeed fairly "hah?"-inducing. I thought I had finally understood what was actually going on by the end, then a character arrived and... I ended up forced to think: "Well, nevermind, it seems I was off. It really feels like I missed something...". I hope we get a clue next episode.

I was a bit sad to find out about the OP visuals... but well, at least Shinai is great to listen to. Not really related to White Album, but I hope it outsells Trickster, which already had satisfying sales.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 16:53   Link #64
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

OP

Wasn't a fan of the first episode at all. The first 15 minutes seemed totally extraneous and then the actual drama of the episode appeared and was resolved in basically the same breath. Not to mention the bad clicheness. I'm really getting tired of this whole hazing cliche honestly. It works alright in more outlandish shows because stereotypes are meant to be taken to the extreme. Here though? Everybody knew they did it. They stood around and gloated. I mean, come on. The professional world is not the 3rd grade here. I doubt we'll get the follow up where they're all fired and careers are over.

I'll second the weird BGM selection though. Very classical based. There was even a waltz. Why was there a waltz? Who knows!
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 17:16   Link #65
sirn
田舎者言うな

Ugh. Just watched the first episode: Bad start. The animation is quite good, but I can't see what they want to do with the story. Portraying distances? Drama coming? Uh? I like the dark, gloomy atmosphere in the episode, though.

For all those letters that appeared for a few seconds (character's thoughts?) I think it should be better represented if they just have them speak... well, the part I think it works quite well is those at the end of the episode, others feel a bit unnecessary.

For the opening, I do hope they'll change it in later episodes. Two scenes of existing animation are really good, though. The ending (and next episode preview) is also nicely done. At least the songs are nice to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The bicycle girl came from Shikabane Bou-Hime...
I really like that bicycle girl's voice, even she's Bou.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 18:37   Link #66
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

The most interesting thing about this series is : it is setted in 1986 and Nana Mizuki's opening song, although the video is a little disapointing (unlike Discotheque's animated material, which was really good)

The 1986 setting definately interests me, since mobile phones and computer weren't so popular back then. The clothes doesn't look as outdated as they look in real life ^_^''

And and that guy who is voiced by the same seiyuu as Sunohara from clannad, I still think he's just Sunohara (which is the main character's best friend). The seiyuu work are all fine, except I just can't get used to Hirano Aya's voice unless she's voicing Haruhi or Konata. I can easily reconise Nana Mizuki's voice too, but somehow her voice does fit. The seiyuu for the male lead (I can't remember the character's name nor the seiyuu's name except that the seiyuu voiced Dojo from Toshokan Sensou X_X'') did a good job, it's not a hard character to voice, so it's all fine.

The animation of looked fine, but it's the first episode, so it might decline over the time, we'll see what happens later. The storyboarding was interesting, at least it's different, it almost feels like Shinbo directing it. Does anyone know whether the OST is especially made for the anime or is the OST originally from the game?

Personally I quite liked the episode, but whether it would be amazing or a flop depends on later episodes.
Old 2009-01-03, 19:42   Link #67
mandarb916

The concept of a national idol no longer exists/is no longer possible in current day Japan with the heavy commercialization and segmentation of the market.

It was because of this, they set the time to the mid 80's when there were idols with exorbitantly high national acceptance, partially due to the lack of segmentation of the pop culture market.

Though, it appears there are inconsistencies in the presentation because of this.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 19:52   Link #68
animekritik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
The concept of a national idol no longer exists/is no longer possible in current day Japan with the heavy commercialization and segmentation of the market.

It was because of this, they set the time to the mid 80's when there were idols with exorbitantly high national acceptance, partially due to the lack of segmentation of the pop culture market.

Though, it appears there are inconsistencies in the presentation because of this.

I imagine you're right, but people like Amuro Namie and Ayu Hamasaki still commanded a heck of of a lot of recognition and adulation across a wide spectrum of the population when I was living in Japan.
Old 2009-01-03, 22:38   Link #69
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
To sum this first episode up in a single word?

Boring -_____-

ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 02:26   Link #70
Peanutbutter

Watched it. It's alright so far, I guess. One has to really wait for the entire story and characters to be fleshed out before commenting further.

Hopefully it's just me but ever since there was Nice Boat, now I'm always thinking about it and linking it with stories vaguely alluding to it, including this.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 03:46   Link #71
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Hopefully it's just me but ever since there was Nice Boat, now I'm always thinking about it and linking it with stories vaguely alluding to it, including this.
White Album predates School Days by over half a decade.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 09:29   Link #72
arkxkra
全力全開

erm, OP and ED song quite nice.

for ep1, erm, feel kind of weird in some part, dunno how to put into word, dunno is just me or what. but will still continue watching for few more episode, because I love the cast ^^. Although I heard white album before, but never play the game, so it was bad end?
Old 2009-01-04, 15:34   Link #73
Mazryonh

I'm driven to wonder: will the anime's VA talent be used for the PS2 version of this game's remake? And who will voice the PC 18+ version of the remake?

I sure wish someone would put up the detailed route info in English on a blog or on wikipedia. It's pretty terrible being a b-game fan who can't read Japanese and who can't learn it.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 16:38   Link #74
rg4619

Quote:
I'm driven to wonder: will the anime's VA talent be used for the PS2 version of this game's remake? And who will voice the PC 18+ version of the remake?
At this time, the remake has only been announced for PS3.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 03:36   Link #75
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DxJ View Post
So it started airing, I heard Eclipse will be subbing this show, anyone care to confirm it?
No idea where you heard that from (or why the Fansubwiki was speculating about it, we don't use it), but yea, we will be. Episode 1 just got released.

I've got to say that I'm puzzled about some of the negative initial reviews. I respectfully disagree, it was a very coherent start which calmly laid out ALOT of the background already, in a manner that I found pleasing. There was no over-the-top comedy or other antics, just proper storytelling. And I believe that especially the approach to "show" Touya's thoughts like this might come in quite handy.

The story has no direction? Of course it has - we're shown the troubles of a couple in which one partner gets tossed into the idol business, with the resulting gradual estrangement. I mean, I don't know the show or the game, but it's pretty obvious to me where it's heading. And with the possible exception of Haruka, there was no single character that acted "weird" - and even her reaction got a plausible explanation. In short, this show will probably take 2-3 more episodes until the cast has been properly introduced. And well - then we'll see

Tbh, I was skeptical when I heard the decision to pick up this show. But the first episode eased all my worries. Guess I was longing for a proper romance drama after all the comedy of late...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 05:58   Link #76
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I've got to say that I'm puzzled about some of the negative initial reviews. I respectfully disagree, it was a very coherent start which calmly laid out ALOT of the background already, in a manner that I found pleasing. There was no over-the-top comedy or other antics, just proper storytelling. And I believe that especially the approach to "show" Touya's thoughts like this might come in quite handy.

The story has no direction? Of course it has - we're shown the troubles of a couple in which one partner gets tossed into the idol business, with the resulting gradual estrangement. I mean, I don't know the show or the game, but it's pretty obvious to me where it's heading. And with the possible exception of Haruka, there was no single character that acted "weird" - and even her reaction got a plausible explanation. In short, this show will probably take 2-3 more episodes until the cast has been properly introduced. And well - then we'll see
I think it's backward: people have negative reviews because this is the first episode and they found it's boring. Rather than boring, I think it's more of a hard-to-understand unless you watch it for a few times, in which all conversations will start to make sense. But again, a calm start is not always a good start.

I have one regret, though. I shouldn't watch the legendary MAD prior to watching the episode... I keep expecting Nana Mizuki saying "RETURN MY BOYFRIEND" in my head and unable to keep my attention throughout my first watching.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:29   Link #77
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
Just finished watching this from Eclipse. So far this anime is so... uninteresting? The opening and endings are very unexciting and the story is like some slow drama-romance... I usually just watch whatever Eclipse subs so I didn't look much into what the anime is about, but still, that was pretty boring.

Somehow it slightly reminds me of I''s Pure, with the whole boyfriend with idol girlfriend thing, I''s Pure was awesome somehow though. I usually don't drop anime unless there's a huge reason for it so I'll still watch it and hopefully there are scenes that appeal somehow...
Mega-Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 07:55   Link #78
Mentar
Banned

Hard-to-understand? Hmm... really? Or is it the language barrier (no slight intended)? I thought that the exposition was really easy to follow.

Spoiler:

It wasn't in any way "big" or "awesome", but good drama shows gradually build, they don't go for early effects. Take "True Tears" for example, a very successful show in whose direction White Album will probably drift (or maybe a bit of KimiNozo? One can dream): How long did it take for anything to actually _happen_?

In any case - even if I wasn't working on this show, I can say that I very much like the atmosphere already. It definitely isn't something for the happy mainstream anime viewer, but methinks that we might be treated to some delicious angsty drama
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 08:49   Link #79
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Hard-to-understand? Hmm... really? Or is it the language barrier (no slight intended)? I thought that the exposition was really easy to follow.
That's not what I mean. I have no problem watching it raw (which I did). The character settings in the episode is very clear, the problem is the episode itself. For example...

Spoiler:

Either that, or my attention span is way too low.

Last edited by sirn; 2009-01-05 at 09:26. Reason: fix a bit mistake
Old 2009-01-05, 08:59   Link #80
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Reply to people who're saying they don't see the story --- try reading the summary for the series? It explains the story set-up, just like the first episode did.

I really liked this first episode. The fact that it's set in the 80s in a huge selling point for me, because i'm just a huge fan of the 80s era. It's not just the setting, the OP & ED visuals, the slow paced love story, it's all very 80s drama. It's no surprise that a lot of people are going to call this show boring when they've been experiencing a completely different level of romance in today's shows.

It's nicely done how we're introduced to the rest of the cast in this episode, along with their part in the story. Haruka is easily my favorite character at the moment, with Yuki right behind.

Glad to see that i can agree with what Mentar is saying. Yet another series were we share the same opinions.

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen