AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 03:55   Link #1481
Used Can

Man, Saki sure is amazing. She went against players of 3 good schools and managed to completely control the flow of the game. Those are some skills.
Old 2012-07-07, 04:04   Link #1482
NeutralZero

That really is an impressive skills but some are not pleased of her act during the end part of the game...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 04:15   Link #1483
Used Can

Hey, not everyone is pleased with how everyone does their games. Do everyone likes it when a team plays at the defensive? Do people like it when some teams use more indirect strategies? Not everyone likes it when a player uses more brains than brawls.

Ultimately, it comes down to tastes. For example, I think Toki's doing at the end of her match was extremely selfish and stupid (given the strain she'd put onto her team due to her condition, and thus the advantage given t other teams, in addition to the 16000 points given to Achiga), neither do I see people complaining about her relying on her future seeing capabilities rather than purely on her own skills at mahjong. But well, that is my opinion.

I think Saki's way of playing, full control of the game's flow and use of strategy (assuming she is indeed did that) has been not only an amazing display of skills but of wits as well.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:44   Link #1484
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Hey, not everyone is pleased with how everyone does their games. Do everyone likes it when a team plays at the defensive? Do people like it when some teams use more indirect strategies? Not everyone likes it when a player uses more brains than brawls.

Ultimately, it comes down to tastes. For example, I think Toki's doing at the end of her match was extremely selfish and stupid (given the strain she'd put onto her team due to her condition, and thus the advantage given t other teams, in addition to the 16000 points given to Achiga), neither do I see people complaining about her relying on her future seeing capabilities rather than purely on her own skills at mahjong. But well, that is my opinion.
The isn't so much that she performed badly, but that it was the least interesting of her rival schools (Himematsu) that got 2nd place. I doubt the reaction would have been as strong if it was Esui (expected result/long overdue development) or Miyamori (fan favorite) that progressed to the semi finals.

It's less a question of competence, and more an issue of popularity.
Old 2012-07-07, 06:38   Link #1485
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
H
If Toki didn't sacrifice herself then Teru would flunk their scores below zero and who knows who ended up being 2nd.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:07   Link #1486
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
If Toki didn't sacrifice herself then Teru would flunk their scores below zero and who knows who ended up being 2nd.
Toki was in 2nd place. If she just focused on playing defensively, the entire semi final match would have ended right there in the Vanguard round with Shiraitodai and Senriyama heading to the finals. Her power would pretty much guarantee that she wouldn't fall victim to a surprise ron as long as she concentrates fully on defense.
Old 2012-07-07, 08:07   Link #1487
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I've heard that Teru tends to target those whose in 2nd place..so her being in 2nd place might actually be more dangerous if she tries to play defensively.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 08:13   Link #1488
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I've heard that Teru tends to target those whose in 2nd place..so her being in 2nd place might actually be more dangerous if she tries to play defensively.
That's a rumor based on the record of a single match in a magazine. Hardly conclusive.

It was never brought up by anyone in the series, and there was hardly anything in the recently concluded match that indicated that Teru was targeting any player specifically. Plus, Toki's power should make her immune to ron (outside of riichi) as long as she keeps her precognition turned on.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:04   Link #1489
tsunade666

Chapter is OUT! off to ddl it.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:13   Link #1490
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Wow, that was just humilliating.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 10:14   Link #1491
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Doing the same as well.

Edit: Finally read through the chapter.

Spoiler for Chapter 99:
Old 2012-07-07, 10:19   Link #1492
tsunade666

^I think she is in Teru's level because why do those kan's to produce more kan dora and not take the winning? seriously. The way I see it. She really let her go. Its to stop booby monster (I don't know HER NAME!) and Toyone. Saki might be letting Kyouko go or getting easy on her. But by Saki's record. She can take the winning and ending that in a blast by letting Booby monster 2nd but she didn't.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:26   Link #1493
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
tsunade666: LOL It's Kasumi, but booby-monster is equally valid in this case.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:50   Link #1494
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Saki's record in the individual's were all +/- zeros? now I'm wondering if Saki is a prefectural representative in the manga... is it possible to qualify with only +/- zeros?

A way to be stronger to beat the one loved by the tiles? is such a way possible?
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 10:56   Link #1495
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Also LOL at the ditzy adviser saying that she can help Kyouko, who's a normal, possibly get better than Saki.
Well, for all the series concentrate on the high school students we are talking about pro's in a world with magical mahjong. For example, for all what he's bashed as not useful Harue did take a group of people that had barely touched the tiles in years to top rated normals and a national level school in mere months. Sure, Kyouko only has days in here but I'd love here to give some payback to Saki Mary Miyanaga sue.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:06   Link #1496
tsunade666

I know people may think that Saki is really going all out here and being serious. But when I read that part that she is not either winning or losing. She is in +/- score. I just felt that she is still not going serious. If she is going out of control and really hitting big scores then she would do the same when she go against Koromo. She will unleash at least 24000+ scores and her rinshan can pretty much easily ditch that score. Her ability is hax for all it matter and she hits hard. harder than Teru.
Old 2012-07-07, 11:29   Link #1497
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

She didn't do +/- 0 when fighting Koromo, right?

...Wait if she did +/- 0 during the individuals match and still ends up at 3rd (if we take anime scene as canon)... What the hell? She might also changes her perspective like what she did in chapter 2-3, where she thought that she starts with 1000 points when she's actually still starts at 25000 points and ends up winning by +50.

Consideriing this, I think her real ability is to control the flow by using kans She'll just manipulate the points from everyone so that she'll ends up with +/- 0... She might not hit harder than Teru with her consecutive winning, but she's equally dangerous. It's like being a puppet who tries to fight its puppet master ._.

Quote:
Also LOL at the ditzy adviser saying that she can help Kyouko, who's a normal, possibly get better than Saki.
That adviser seems pretty dangerous. Even Fujita-pro seems to avoid her for a reason

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:44   Link #1498
tsunade666

I think Saki hit harder than Teru in individual points. Koromo tops Teru in that aspect. Teru is scary because she is in CONSECUTIVE WINNING. With every win she gets. She gets more dangerous. But she is bound from lower to higher while Koromo and Saki can just dish out high end scores out of no where if they like it. Specially Saki's ability that Koromo notice. Taking a 2000 points to 24000 pts and 12000 pts to 36000 pts. I think that is her real strength in score wise.

Sure Saki has probably absolute control on tile. She can make you win and loose if she wants but isn't it much scarier when you go against an opponent that hits harder? or is it the opponent that can control you...... I'm not sure but in a game. I prefer the damage dealer and maybe the vanguard. I just don't care for total control on the game as long as I win by laying waste on my opponent.
Old 2012-07-07, 12:06   Link #1499
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I know people may think that Saki is really going all out here and being serious. But when I read that part that she is not either winning or losing. She is in +/- score. I just felt that she is still not going serious. If she is going out of control and really hitting big scores then she would do the same when she go against Koromo. She will unleash at least 24000+ scores and her rinshan can pretty much easily ditch that score. Her ability is hax for all it matter and she hits hard. harder than Teru.
A lot of people are upset with the outcome of the quarterfinal at Side B... especially with Himematsu advancing... and Toyone crying her heart out...

Saki is just like a monster that likes to play with her food... well, playing with your food is just bad table manners...
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 13:16   Link #1500
Academus

A very detailed graph of everyone's performance. I'm just pasting it on.

Spoiler:
Academus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri