AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-11-17, 16:27   Link #2341
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Someone in /u/ said that "spell disaster" is a very liberal interpretation of the moonrunes. According to the post, it would probably be more appropriate to say "a bit troublesome" or "could give you a hard time." The reason it was translated as spell disaster is probably because they were trying to emulate Koromo's archaic way of speech. We're probably making mountains out of molehills.
That part was certainly taken out of proportion, but Koromo did seem to imply that Shizu isn't just "strong", or was that part badly translated as well?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 16:56   Link #2342
The Green One

Well let us see what Shizu is capable of when her talents are revealed in full in the captains match, only then can we really start to judge her capabilities to play at the big girl's table.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 19:04   Link #2343
King-Slayer

Crazy thought here. After reading the chapter again and seeing the talk about different speeds got me thinking of something about bikes. So maybe Shizu's abilities relate to something like bike speeds. I suck at making theory's but i think the speed terms are interesting at least.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 19:58   Link #2344
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I just like Shizu with no pants

May be Shizu's abilities are related to her having no pants
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 20:23   Link #2345
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I just like Shizu with no pants

May be Shizu's abilities are related to her having no pants
The irony in this is that, in the PV, Shizu is shown wearing the FULL Achiga Girls school uniform (sans underwear of course).
Old 2012-11-17, 23:05   Link #2346
Peanutbutter

According to the Chinese translation I read, what Koromo said to Saki can be translated as "is a handful" (positive sense) or "troublesome" (in the negative sense).

Shizu won't be one Saki can't win, but it'll take a bit more of Saki to do so.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:10   Link #2347
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The irony in this is that, in the PV, Shizu is shown wearing the FULL Achiga Girls school uniform (sans underwear of course).
Perhaps it will be as a gesture of her resolve. After all it will be squarely on her shoulders if she can lead her school past the semi finals, the point that destroyed Haru's team on their turn. Winning her match would be Achiga's crowning achievement and fulfill her personal goal of qualifying for the finals to face Kiyosumi.

No pressure now Shizu.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:06   Link #2348
thenightsshadow

I think that Shizu's shown her power, actually, in the anime.

I believe it's an "imprint" kind. But instead of copying what's imprinted, it's that her playstyle automatically defends herself from that. To explain someone like Koromo, assuming Shizu imprinted on Koromo (I don't think she did), the little devil has two abilities, and Shizu can only defend herself from one.

Sure, we got a snippet of Shizu's match in the quarterfinals, but who's to say that Shizu imprinted on Ryuuka, and never dealt into Ryuuka?

---

Actually, this is all speculation. We really have no idea. Just tossing this idea out there.
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 10:33   Link #2349
arsonal
Saki Wiki Curator

As one of the QCs of the chapter, I do admit I decided to leave the translation of Koromo's description of Shizuno as was originally done by the translator. (For reference, the original was 厄介.) This was a case where the nuances of language became an obstacle.

Koromo is already describing to Saki that she originally thought no one else is stronger than Kiyosumi. Clearly she changed her mind after facing Shizuno and the gang. This means Achiga has the potential to be on even footing with Kiyosumi. Saki, of course, is expecting someone strong. How do you describe something that is even stronger than strong? "Troublesome" may sound threatening, but does it sound threatening enough that one can consider the possibility of Achiga defeating Kiyosumi?

We have only seen one hand from Shizuno, and the one thing we can derive from it is Shizuno's amazing recovery speed. She is not someone that can be fazed by Saki's rinshan kaihou. Most players will just attempt to dodge Saki and try to win another way (even Yumi can't pull a chankan every hand). Shizuno is the type of character who would attempt to challenge Saki one-on-one.

Saki 105 is at the final stages of QC and editing and should be out soon.
arsonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 15:41   Link #2350
momonae

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonal View Post
As one of the QCs of the chapter, I do admit I decided to leave the translation of Koromo's description of Shizuno as was originally done by the translator. (For reference, the original was 厄介.) This was a case where the nuances of language became an obstacle.

Koromo is already describing to Saki that she originally thought no one else is stronger than Kiyosumi. Clearly she changed her mind after facing Shizuno and the gang. This means Achiga has the potential to be on even footing with Kiyosumi. Saki, of course, is expecting someone strong. How do you describe something that is even stronger than strong? "Troublesome" may sound threatening, but does it sound threatening enough that one can consider the possibility of Achiga defeating Kiyosumi?
I think the closest literal translation is "a bit troublesome". It could mean more than "strong" and troublesome for Saki but it could also mean just better than an ordinary player, but anyway it set a flag for Saki she will have a hard time to win the final even more. In this chapter Koromo said "few schools are stronger" than Kiyosumi, not "no one". Though that line may imply Koromo thinks Achiga is stronger than Kiyosumi.
momonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 22:20   Link #2351
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonae View Post
I think the closest literal translation is "a bit troublesome". It could mean more than "strong" and troublesome for Saki but it could also mean just better than an ordinary player, but anyway it set a flag for Saki she will have a hard time to win the final even more. In this chapter Koromo said "few schools are stronger" than Kiyosumi, not "no one". Though that line may imply Koromo thinks Achiga is stronger than Kiyosumi.
I was getting the impression that Koromo thought there weren't many schools who could compete at Kiyosumi's level. I don't think Koromo is saying Achiga is stronger than Kiyosumi I think she's saying that they're good enough to provide worthy competition.

Last edited by The Green One; 2012-11-18 at 22:57.
Old 2012-11-19, 08:41   Link #2352
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

sighs....finnally have a saki chapter and all they talk about is achiga *cries*
Old 2012-11-19, 10:02   Link #2353
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
sighs....finnally have a saki chapter and all they talk about is achiga *cries*
Don't worry about it Om. Just think about the fact that Achiga will be ending in about 2-3 chapter. Hopefully, the main series will pick its pace after the Achiga manga is done.

Besides, since the main series is chronologically ahead of the Achiga manga right now - mentions of Achiga will probably keep minimum from now on to avoid spoilers.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 12:46   Link #2354
momonae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I was getting the impression that Koromo thought there weren't many schools who could compete at Kiyosumi's level. I don't think Koromo is saying Achiga is stronger than Kiyosumi I think she's saying that they're good enough to provide worthy competition.
Koromo said she "had thought" and not "thinks" that there aren't many schools that are stronger than Kiyosumi. That implys, at least in Japanese, clearly she thinks differently now and she changed her mind after she played Achiga. So it can be deduced that she thinks Achiga is on a par with Kiyosumi or stronger. That's why I said "may imply." But her later use of the words "a bit troublesome" makes me think what Koromo actually cares is Achiga's tasihou (Shizuno) has a potential to make Saki have a hard time even if she is not a "strong" or formidable player (Saki is good at them).
momonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 14:48   Link #2355
King-Slayer

Chapter is out. Not much to really talk about except next time is going to start the semi's. Still wanted more info about the sickly girl, and have Mihoko talk to Hisa about the past but that can come later. Anyhow i look forward to Rinkai and Usuzan's players.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 23:11   Link #2356
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Oh, since manga readers are blocked right now at work, I need to ask... I've read (in the usual places) that the team that was scouting Harue was actually Hayari's team. However I don't remember Kumakura dropping any names when she met Harue again post-quarterlies, either in the anime or the manga. Anyone get sources or page numbers?
Old 2012-11-19, 23:35   Link #2357
The Green One

I guess the manga is going to tease us about Saki's past until the Finals actually start. Too bad it's going to take another year to get there at this pace.
Old 2012-11-20, 00:49   Link #2358
Serperior

I hope that the next chapter, Rinkai and Usuzan is finally introduced.

Also,

Spoiler for Achiga strong:
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 01:13   Link #2359
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Oh, since manga readers are blocked right now at work, I need to ask... I've read (in the usual places) that the team that was scouting Harue was actually Hayari's team. However I don't remember Kumakura dropping any names when she met Harue again post-quarterlies, either in the anime or the manga. Anyone get sources or page numbers?

I don't know about the manga... but I heard that line in the anime. To be specific somewhere in Episode 2 somewhere around the 17 minute mark.

Here is the transcript for it:

<Harue talking to someone on the phone>
Harue : I'm very sorry, especially after you went to the trouble of contacting me.
Harue: Of course not!
Harue: Thank you so much.
Nozomi : Was that another job offer?
Harue : Yeah, Mizuhara-pro asked if I want to join their team.
Nozomi : What?! And you just turned them down!
Harue : Yeah. I've already decided. I want to go to the nationals, one more time with those girls.

Hope this helps.
Old 2012-11-20, 02:05   Link #2360
night_sentinel

Ohh... btw, another pro-card is out. This time we have our very first male pro card.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri