AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-14, 09:04   Link #28221
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Taiwan's compulsory military service came from the history of Chiang's fantasy dream in "retaking China." Yeah, sure. And I can conquer Germany with a pointed stick.

Of course, in modern times it is just the same reason as Singapore; that realistically there is not enough voluntary troops to realistically repel an attack from, let's not beat around the bush, China.

Yes, China is the reason the conscription exists. Because China is scary and deadly. Or at least, the politicians believe it.

Now let's hear from the Chinese posters trying to claim they would never do such a thing.
Actually, Taiwan is moving away from conscription and into a all volunteer army. Which brings us to this:
As economy and China ties improve, Taiwan can’t find enough volunteers for military service
Old 2013-05-14, 09:12   Link #28222
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll stand away over here while ya'll try that "fringe" stuff on da wimmen who feel they're being personally attacked over that and related issues
That's fine that they feel that way and I don't blame them. I don't think it should be a dominant political issue, regardless.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:17   Link #28223
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He was replying to a conversation about prostitution in Okinawa.
He's in favor for it, saying and bringing up "comfort women" as an example of soldiers needing prostitution.

I mean, what he said was no doubt idiotic, but I think it's getting taken out of context.

Also, you do realize this is the same man who said Japan should just give Takeshima/Dokudo to South Korea, since it's not worth fighting over.
That really don't prove much. In right wing Japan's eyes, the "comfort women" did their deed because they "volunteered"or "paid" to comfort heroic Japanese boys far away from home. But the reality were a lot darker. A lot of them only did it at the threat of physical force and worse.

To believe prostitutes = Comfort women would automatically enrage a lot of non-Japanese Asian nations who took the blunt of it during the war.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:19   Link #28224
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Also, you do realize this is the same man who said Japan should just give Takeshima/Dokudo to South Korea, since it's not worth fighting over.
Unless he changed his stance from last year (haven't bothered to check), I don't think you're talking about the same person.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:28   Link #28225
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
That's just a pipe dream, though. Humanity will never be perfect. We will never have a flawless utopia. Our world will never stop being fucked up.

My view is of the realist, how to deal with the problems that exist in the world that exists, rather than attempting to set unachievable goals and then condemn people for being unable to meet your impossible standards.

Humanity is a fucked-up species and we'll never be anything but.
But that doesn't mean one should stop trying...else a life of hating is really exhausting

*oh great look what I am saying now....ME of all people.*
Old 2013-05-14, 09:29   Link #28226
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The only argument I don't accept. That is just irresponsibility.

Heck, most of the time abortion is done due to irresponsible behavior. I can't really get why people are so willing to overlook that.
But it's totally cool to bail out irresponsible banks and companies with government money? Also, what about if they weren't irresponsible? What if they did use protection, possibly multiple forms of it, and they just failed?

And even if they didn't use protection, what right do you have to damn them for that? Are you going to help them raise this child that you'd like to force them to have?
Old 2013-05-14, 09:29   Link #28227
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Unless he changed his stance from last year (haven't bothered to check), I don't think you're talking about the same person.
You're right, I did.
But he's wants to move towards a compromise, which is why he lost much support from the conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
That really don't prove much. In right wing Japan's eyes, the "comfort women" did their deed because they "volunteered"or "paid" to comfort heroic Japanese boys far away from home. But the reality were a lot darker. A lot of them only did it at the threat of physical force and worse.

To believe prostitutes = Comfort women would automatically enrage a lot of non-Japanese Asian nations who took the blunt of it during the war.
While you are correct, it doesn't change the fact it's taken out of context.
He believes it was nothing more than prostitution, therefore he's justifying having prostitution in Okinawa.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:34   Link #28228
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But it's totally cool to bail out irresponsible banks and companies with government money?
I don't support it either, but then I don't support such banks playing around like that either.

Quote:
Also, what about if they weren't irresponsible? What if they did use protection, possibly multiple forms of it, and they just failed?
While personally I still think they should take responsibility for the risk they took, I would be lenient enough to not oppose it.

Quote:
And even if they didn't use protection, what right do you have to damn them for that? Are you going to help them raise this child that you'd like to force them to have?
That's the job society itself should take on in the first place.

Quote:

To be fair, at least he is consistent concerning prostitutes. Insensitive yes, but not in the usual way.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:34   Link #28229
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I must have misplaced my standard issued comfort woman then.
Look in the armskote
Old 2013-05-14, 09:37   Link #28230
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
You're right, but he's wants to move towards a compromise, which is why he lost much support from the conservatives.

While you are correct, it doesn't change the fact it's taken out of context.
He believes it was nothing more than prostitution, therefore he's justifying having prostitution in Okinawa.
He could certainly use a better example. Or he intentionally know he is lighting a match in a gas chamber and hoping to garner the conservative vote at the risk of international diplomacy.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:41   Link #28231
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
He could certainly use a better example. Or he intentionally know he is lighting a match in a gas chamber and hoping to garner the conservative vote at the risk of international diplomacy.
This reminds me a lot of using statements that one knows is going to invite controversy overseas to shore up domestic support.

/hipster North Korea did it before it was cool
Old 2013-05-14, 09:42   Link #28232
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Well, I don't think that's under any argument.
Old 2013-05-14, 10:27   Link #28233
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
This reminds me a lot of using statements that one knows is going to invite controversy overseas to shore up domestic support.

/hipster North Korea did it before it was cool
/hipster John McCain > You
Old 2013-05-14, 11:02   Link #28234
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Give him a break. He is probably those herbivores who never had the gut to serve.
I don't see why not wanting to serve in combat makes someone a pussy. Risking your life to help someone whenever your help is necessary is one thing (like if you are the only person, or one of just a few people, to come across someone in danger), but I don't have much desire to risk my life, go through dozens of near death experiences, kill other human beings, and permanently ruin my mental health, when my contribution to the overall war effort as one lone soldier would very likely be negligible.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:09   Link #28235
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Give him a break. He is probably those herbivores who never had the gut to serve.
Who wants to serve in the JSDF unless you're in the Northern Army? Most of them are just bureaucrats anyway.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:16   Link #28236
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Navy or Air Force is were it is at for the Japanese military anyway.
Old 2013-05-14, 12:09   Link #28237
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I don't see why not wanting to serve in combat makes someone a pussy. Risking your life to help someone whenever your help is necessary is one thing (like if you are the only person, or one of just a few people, to come across someone in danger), but I don't have much desire to risk my life, go through dozens of near death experiences, kill other human beings, and permanently ruin my mental health, when my contribution to the overall war effort as one lone soldier would very likely be negligible.
Not to mention your "glorious honorable battles" are pretty much solely for the benefit of greedy fat white guys who send you and your fellow soldiers to die in some Third World hellhole so they can fatten their own pockets.

Yeah, screw the military. It's not the average soldier's fault, but this is what things have become...
Old 2013-05-14, 12:13   Link #28238
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am rather curious then. Who else could be a threat that warrants potentially calling up conscripts? Serious question, would like to know.
in the 70s and 80s? Indonesia.
Old 2013-05-14, 12:18   Link #28239
Ridwan

Well, Lee Kuan Yew experienced Konfrontasi himself and Suharto was no less a strong character then Sukarno before him was. Until now he still mentions about us in his occasional ramblings on Singaporean youths.
Old 2013-05-14, 13:09   Link #28240
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia Detains American, Saying He Is C.I.A. Agent
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/wo...1NIWZjUzp5Cjkw
Quote:
Mr. Fogle’s arrest, given lavish attention on Russian television, fit neatly into that pattern, though some of the details, like the pile of wigs, left many in Moscow incredulous.

“There is nothing new about it — I’m just surprised that the guy was such an idiot,” said Yevgenia M. Albats, the author of a 1994 book on the K.G.B. “I am not interested so much in this Christopher Fogle as much as the person he was trying to recruit. And why did he have to do it in such an old-fashioned way? It sounds like the ‘70s.”

Bruce Riedel, a former C.I.A. officer who is now at the Brookings Institution, said it was difficult to determine from a single case whether the agency was increasing espionage activity inside Russia. But the Russian government’s decision to make the episode so public was telling, he said: “If they wanted to, they could have just quietly told the embassy that he was persona not grata and expelled him, and not put anything in the media.”
This one seem a bit odd to me, no ?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international