AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-06-06, 16:52   Link #2161
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Well, as I mentioned, their height was never really an issue in-series, so I guess they dropped that little detail in the transition to Rebuild.

The fact that Asuka seems to have shrunk in cup-size, however... Maybe someone in EVAgeeks can confirm it, but her athletic B seemed like it dropped a few centimeters. Or maybe Sadamoto overcompensated with Mari?

*coughs*
I was surprised they didn't make them bigger with all of the service they paid to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Deep down we're all hoping for some serious hardcore pirate action.
At least it's a cool eye patch and not one of those weird Japanese ones like in ef. Still though, I can't believe they ruined that cliffhanger.
Old 2010-06-06, 16:55   Link #2162
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I was surprised they didn't make them bigger with all of the service they paid to her.

At least it's a cool eye patch and not one of those weird Japanese ones like in ef. Still though, I can't believe they ruined that cliffhanger.
It's probably because they wanted to make sure fans didn't storm their building and attempt to murder Anno in retribution for the perceived murder of Asuka. haha

... Probably.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 16:57   Link #2163
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
and not one of those weird Japanese ones like in ef.
That was more like a medical eyepatch, though it doesn't matter. But yeah the one Asuka is rocking in the preview suits her.

& personally i'd rather know she's alright and wearing an eyepatch then not knowing anything and only having what happened to her in the second film on my mind, though that's just me.

Edit: Matt122005 also sums up a nice conclusion.
Old 2010-06-06, 16:57   Link #2164
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
It's probably because they wanted to make sure fans didn't storm their building and attempt to murder Anno in retribution for the perceived murder of Asuka. haha

... Probably.
That's what I thought too. I thought she was dead and the movie was about to end. I didn't think there was so much left to it, lol. But I guess she survived since the plug depth changed so she wasn't in the middle, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That was more like a medical eyepatch, though it doesn't matter. But yeah the one Asuka is rocking in the preview suits her.

& personally i'd rather know she's alright and wearing an eyepatch then not knowing anything and only having what happened to her in the second film on my mind, though that's just me.

Edit: Matt122005 also sums up a nice conclusion.
Is it a medical eye patch? I've only seen in anime and manga, so yeah. But you may not want to leave something like that up in the air, but that's what drama is.
Old 2010-06-06, 17:05   Link #2165
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
BigDeath: I thought I read on Wikipedia that Anno didn't know how the story would end when he began it and that he made it up as he went along?
Well, fans have said a lot of bull over the years. You know how the Internet is with rumors........
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 17:36   Link #2166
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... okay honestly, Reckoner, can you chill out? Last I checked (which was just now) no one was saying that the symbols meant anything in Rebuild, just that they were being used more accurately than they were in the original show.
I don't think this really changes much about my statement. Just because it may be more "correct," it doesn't change the fact that the symbols are utterly pointless, beyond scoring some points. Now you can talk about it being more correct, just consider what I said a side comment.

I just personally find it a bit silly to include blatant Christian symbols like halos on angels without there actually being a point to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
I just want to hear her say "arrr matey" just once.

Intresting post from evageeks: http://www.evageeks.org/2010/05/gain...010/#more-1251

So End of Eva was done just for the fun of it. Eh, I'm fine with that.
The problem is that this is a complete and utter lie. No one believes the bull shit that has come out of Gainax's statements. They ran out of budget, end of story. Also, I think Anno constantly changed the direction of the show towards the end (To the frustration of producers I'm sure).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 18:05   Link #2167
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't think this really changes much about my statement. Just because it may be more "correct," it doesn't change the fact that the symbols are utterly pointless, beyond scoring some points. Now you can talk about it being more correct, just consider what I said a side comment.

I just personally find it a bit silly to include blatant Christian symbols like halos on angels without there actually being a point to them.

First off, how in the world would you know the symbols are pointless this time if you've only seen half the story? You have no idea where Anno is taking this story this time.

Second, as I have pointed out, the symbols are NOT pointless this time. They have effectively set up a theological mirror to Revelation. Where will it lead? We won't know till all movies are out.

Could the symbols prove meaningless in the end? Yes. Could they equally prove deeply meaningful? Yes.

We just don't know yet as we don't yet have the rest of the story.

So in conclusion, any argument right now on whether these symbols are meaningful or not is worthless. We won't know definitively till the rest of the films are out.

PS. By the way, halo's on angels are technically not an original Christian symbol. If we really want to get technical, halo's originated from Pagen religions. The Catholic Church merely adopted them into Christianity when trying to convert the Pagens.

And either way, the fact that you think there needs to be a point shows how wrong your view point is.

Think about it. While everyone points at the crosses and asks "What does it mean?" I have gone ahead and pointed at the more minor things and nuances.

People are overlooking what matters and spending too much time on things that aren't important.

Why do the angels have halos? Maybe because they are called Angels and most images of angels have halos? Oh my! There you have it.

Why do the explosions look like crosses? Maybe because the setting of the movies is the end of the world (based on a Christian like scenario) and a battle against Angels? Oh my! There you have it.

People need to realize that things like "MARK 06", "Key of Nebuchadnezzar", "MARDUK", etc are what they really should be looking at. Stop noticing the obvious and start paying attention to the minor details. That's where the real meat of symbolism comes into play.
Old 2010-06-06, 19:04   Link #2168
bigdeath

Quote:
The problem is that this is a complete and utter lie. No one believes the bull shit that has come out of Gainax's statements. They ran out of budget, end of story. Also, I think Anno constantly changed the direction of the show towards the end (To the frustration of producers I'm sure).
I'm confused? Where did the idea they ran out of a budget come from anyway? Wheres the proof. Considering the way anime is made (barely anytime to make the next episode) the claim that it was time constraints that made the quality issues is actually quite believable.
Old 2010-06-06, 20:10   Link #2169
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well, there have been conflicting explanations over the years, and the fact that one (or was it two) of GAINAX's founders was jailed almost immediately later due to Tax Fraud (!!) doesn't help.

Personally I think that the uniqueness (that's putting it lightly) of the last third of the anime was caused by the confluence of several factors, including a rapidly tightening budget and a director who (at the time) had gone over the deep end.

At least the movies have no problems with budget -- if Studio Khara gets back even a tenth of the total revenue generated by the movies and the DVD/BR pre-orders (which pretty much destroyed Gundam Unicorn's record), they'd have a respectable 'cushion' to work with.
Old 2010-06-06, 21:24   Link #2170
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
I'm confused? Where did the idea they ran out of a budget come from anyway? Wheres the proof. Considering the way anime is made (barely anytime to make the next episode) the claim that it was time constraints that made the quality issues is actually quite believable.
Oh? When the infamous episodes of Bardiel and Zeruel aired (The Zeruel airing right after teenage mutant ninja turtles I believe ) the sponsors became disgusted with Evangelion and dropped sponsorship.

There are many quotes out there from the staff describing their situation in a comical way. They made it seem that the anime reflected the desperation of the staff.

But anyhow, it's not just that they are blatantly lieing to the fans about how the ending came about, it's also that they have contradicted themselves over and over again.
Old 2010-06-06, 21:37   Link #2171
bigdeath

Quote:
Oh? When the infamous episodes of Bardiel and Zeruel aired (The Zeruel airing right after teenage mutant ninja turtles I believe ) the sponsors became disgusted with Evangelion and dropped sponsorship.
Well, that would explain the money issues.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:49   Link #2172
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Someone asked if Neon Genesis Evangelion ended the way it did due to budget problems. Yamaga responded that the problem was with time, not with budget. He then stated that the television ending was planned to be as it was from the beginning; Gainax thought “Wouldn’t it be interesting if the show ended this way?”.
...Then how come the preview for episode 25 was showing storyboards of Asuka fighting the mass-produced Evas, while Misato was talking about events that would later end up taking place in End of Evangelion? Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing this.

Quote:
...So you're saying that the best episodes in the series caused the sponsors to give up on it?
Old 2010-06-07, 11:31   Link #2173
Fran~
floating away...

I don't know you, but i think is just so awesome to hear Maaya Sakamoto's work on Rebuild...
why?, because her debut was the very same year with Escaflowne... it's like to complete the circle... and in some way i think that Anno is trying to do that. You can say a lot of things but Eva was a kind of depressive tv series and films and now we are watching movies a little bit more optimistic.

I think that i like Mari because to me, she is the icon of that transformation... yeah, she is sharing Asuka's screen time, but i think that even Asuka's character now is more human.

I do like more this than the TV series...

BTW... Misato > f*ckin' everybody else.... the way she was grabbing her necklace when the angel attacks NERV was so awesome, being a secondary character, she is just awesome, more awesome than A LOT of protagonist out there.
Old 2010-06-07, 13:59   Link #2174
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
...So you're saying that the best episodes in the series caused the sponsors to give up on it?
Yes, because the show was airing at a certain time on a specific channel where kids were subjected to some of the most intense and grueling violent scenes in the series. (Like i said above I think this aired after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

Things like Bardiel's head getting smashed by a fist and blood gushing everywhere on the city, and also Zeruel getting eaten alive.
Old 2010-06-07, 15:04   Link #2175
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Maybe that's why shows like Bleach get censored to death now?
Old 2010-06-07, 15:47   Link #2176
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Yes, because the show was airing at a certain time on a specific channel where kids were subjected to some of the most intense and grueling violent scenes in the series. (Like i said above I think this aired after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

Things like Bardiel's head getting smashed by a fist and blood gushing everywhere on the city, and also Zeruel getting eaten alive.
Source, please?

I know a parents' group complained about the show, but I've never heard that the sponsors pulled out.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 15:50   Link #2177
DKN117

So... minor clarification. Did I hear correctly when I was told that 3.0 and FINAL will be released either simultaneously or really close to each other?
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 16:41   Link #2178
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
So... minor clarification. Did I hear correctly when I was told that 3.0 and FINAL will be released either simultaneously or really close to each other?
That's the plan. Each one is supposed to be 45 minutes long, and it will be shown as a double feature...just like EoE was episodes 25' and 26'.

So yeah...think of it as one movie, and it'll be less confusing.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 17:07   Link #2179
bigdeath

Why not just make it 1 movie?
Old 2010-06-07, 17:29   Link #2180
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
That's the plan. Each one is supposed to be 45 minutes long, and it will be shown as a double feature...just like EoE was episodes 25' and 26'.

So yeah...think of it as one movie, and it'll be less confusing.
Considering that these plans were only stated before the first movie came out, and were included with their other plans to have the films come out one quickly after another (which didn't happen), I think it could be possible that they will turn these two films into two separate full length features. Especially when you consider how much money they are currently making off the franchise right now.

Tags
movie, remake