AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-11, 10:07   Link #1
sparky sparks

how to get published?

ok so i created this little character for my friend and then it turned into 3 characters and then i started making little stories about them and then i made a longer story about them.

so everyone ive asked says they really like my people (little chibi characters btw) and that i should try getting published but when i try i get people saying i need an agent and well i doubt i can afford one of them so does anybody have any ideas about what i can do now to try and get published or should i give up trying?

any help or comments are greatly appreciated ^_^
Old 2009-12-11, 10:43   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I think this would fit in the General thread, perhaps a mod will move this

Anyway, stories as in a written stories or short comics
The first thing I would do is send them to the publishers themselves, though it isn't an easy business specially if it is chibi's (no offense)
Don't get disappointed if they say no, but it might just end up the way it goes with art schools and someone applying and showing lots of manga styled drawings only to get rejected cause they don't think people drawing those kinds of things belongs in their school
Old 2009-12-11, 10:49   Link #3
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Where are you from?

Personally, I wouldn't suggest going to a publisher right away, as there is a chance that you might end up signing away ownership of your characters — especially if you aren't an established name in the industry. With the Internet being what it is today, that's nothing to stop you from self-publishing your creations. That's the way MegaTokyo got started too.

And you most certainly do not need an agent unless you're turning professional, with a substantial portfolio to flog.
Old 2009-12-11, 12:40   Link #4
Autumn Demon
~

put stuff on the internet for free and see if you can make a name for yourself
Old 2009-12-11, 13:21   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you're putting a portfolio on the internet for potential business, remember to state the copyrights.

Alot of people don't know that the 'stuff on the internet' is protected by copyright law and is not 'free' unless stated free for distribution.

Its true that alot of artists are putting up work on the internet to make a name for themselves, but you must make sure your work actually carries your name instead of being spread anonymously.

Some of my lecturers get contracted because of their portfolio blogs, their blogs are essentially there for business. For a start you should put up as many of your personal and academic work and copyright them. When you get commissioned, you don't put the commissioned work you're working on until the products are already in the market.

You also need to make as many friends in the industry as possible.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-12-12, 14:45   Link #6
sparky sparks

wow thankyou for your suggestions
Old 2009-12-12, 16:14   Link #7
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky sparks View Post
wow thankyou for your suggestions
First piece of advice I have...

You should only continue with this if you REALLY are having fun with it and you are not the type of person who gets bored easily.

If you are having fun, and you really want to develop as an artists... then

You need to develop a decent portfolio as well as good character and story developments.

Do some research and learn about how these things come into play..

Try reading... Genius Girl

It is one of the best online comics there is... once you develop momentum and speed you can think about getting published.

All aspects of comic work is very hard.

Editing, Drawing, Inking, Layout, Story Boarding etc... Direction plan... plot devices...

VERY HARD

EXTREMELY HARD

Publishers will eat novices like you for lunch and spit out the bones if you are not skilled in your work and understand how things really are.

Take the advice... develop yourself online with a small fan based and at comic conventions first.

You may find after a while you get tired or bored... and drop the project (I have seen many artists get sick and bored of drawing their comics)

If you don't drop the project the only thing to happen for you is that you will get better as time goes on.

Once you have much drawing work online, on digital media (DVD backups) and in print form (laser print (not ink) your work on glossy paper at a photo store ) and put them in a artist portfoli book... with sheets to separarte them of course.

Storing printed media in proper ways is very improtant.
Old 2009-12-14, 18:17   Link #8
sparky sparks

yeh i really need to get a new computer cus mines not working meaning i cant get all my drawings from paper onto computer without taking photos of them and then they look bad

but thankyou for your time to try and help
im not sure ill get bored ive already been drawing them alot for like 2 years, i even painted them on my walls in my bedroom haha
Old 2009-12-14, 20:49   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Get the meanest, most ruthless and merciless editor you can find.