AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-06-27, 18:50   Link #1
kitten320

What do you hate about anime?

I didn't find such thread so decided to make one... we all know what attracts most of us in anime but what do you guys dislike about it? After all nothing is perfect.

For example here is what I hate:
Power ups - I seriously hate those! The main hero gets the crap beaten out of them and then out of nowhere he PWNs the bad guy the next second... just WTF?! What was the point of the fight then? Was it hard to let the main hero train some more before the fight? It just looks dumb and anti climatic, Bleach is the best example.

Fast skill upgrade - I can't stand it when a newbie beats down the proffesional. No matter how talented you are there is no way you can beat the master in several weeks or months of training.

Example 1: Bleach once again! Ichigo who never held a sword before was able to beat down the captain who have 100 years of exparience only after some months of killing hollow and some training. Duno about VC but captains should be able to cut off his head with closed eyes. If he was doing kendo in human world, then I would have less complaints.

Example 2: Air Gear, Ikki put on AT for the first time and after several hours of riding was able to preform something rare and actually beat the guy who exactly same day made Ikki piss himself in the morning. Afterwards he wins against other experienced riders.
Spoiler for spoiler:

Age - just WTF? Why all characters are so young?! It is rare when main characters and others are older than 12-14. What's the problem? Why can't they be 15-16 or older? If you want them to be kids then make them act like ones instead of giving them 18 years old brains! Why would people from 16 and above want to watch show about kids? Age seriously ruins everything.

Yoko from Gurren Lagan - just in which place does she look like 14? What would change if she was at least 16?

GTO - like this show a lot but none of those kids looks like 14 nor do they act like one. I know why they are not older because of plot idea but why do they have to look so old? And why all of them are so smart? I don't remeber it being a school for kids with high IQ.

Air Gear - 20 year old Simca is after 13 year old Ikki... any feelings? I was actually having a WTF moment when I found out about her age. And people wonder from where pedophiles appear... or constant Ikki fanservice? He is freacking 13! Stop showing his naked body! And I haven't seen a single 13 year old with such nice body build unless they were working out every day for a long time.

Well that's mine list for now... what do you guys dislike?
Old 2010-06-27, 20:15   Link #2
james0246

What do you hate about anime?

The fans. Always griping about one thing or another....

Seriously though, anime is a medium, so complaining about specific shows, or specific tropes in specific genres is in no way a reflection of the medium. If you want to talk about frame rate issues, editing techniques, animation short-cuts, etc or something indicative of the medium, then let's talk, otherwise you are not talking about anime, but rather specific shows (tropes, genres, etc)...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 20:37   Link #3
kitten320

Fans are annoying everywhere

Not really, I used those only as examples. Constant power ups and fast upgrades are part of shounen, what mostly makes shounen bad.

Age applies almost to each anime show as far as I had seen, it is almost like some kind of rule there "Create the youngest geniuse and sex symbol!".

I could use completly different shows but those are the most obviouse for me at this stage.

But you can talk about animation and stuff like this too, I really don't mind it
Old 2010-06-27, 20:51   Link #4
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

The fans.

Spoiler for short tl;dr:

Character derailment

Spoiler for Another rant. Don't worry, it's short:

The villains

Spoiler for Very opinionated.:
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 21:14   Link #5
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

When it ends and when I run out
Old 2010-06-27, 21:48   Link #6
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Age haha. Yea it's completely true that Anime age is pretty much a joke for the most part and I just ignore it. (I just don't buy the characters are whatever age they want us to believe)

Also about hero power ups; the thing I hate the most is that it's often is that it's an instant turnaround, like POWER UP and kill the villain in one hit. Why can't it just slowly turn the battle in favor of the hero? The villain just loses because he's supposed to here in the script which makes you wonder why the hell we didn't just start with this super power up.

At worst, it makes the hero seem like a stupid douchebag that is endangering the fate of the world for no reason; this is especially true in something like DBZ where the hero's more interested in fighting than, well other people.

On a related topic, it'd be climatic battles that end very soon. It'd be like reaching the final boss of a video game and having him die in 3 hits.

Also, cheap animation by using stills in fights. Sometimes it looks cool, but other times it just annoys me.

Edit: Also must there always be romance? Don't force it if you can't be bothered with an interesting one. Then again it's not specific to anime.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 22:27   Link #7
HoneyCream
CreamBubble
*Artist

When it ends badly :s Some anime are really good, and keep you locked on until the very end, only to be smacked in the face with a bad conclusion -.-
Old 2010-06-27, 22:42   Link #8
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

What do I hate about anime?

I hate that it's not real or I'm not part of it

lol yea kind of a odd hate but it's how I feel.
Oh how I would love to snuggle up to some of these anime characters or how I could take a hit that would actually completely and utterly obliterate and pulverize anyone yet get up seconds later and brush it off as nothing more than a bitch slap

besides that I hate us raging fans, we're all such ignorant fools.

also I think I might actually hate the fact that these spineless, weak and useless foolish male leads(expect maybe a select few) get these damn harems!(didn't think I would hate such a thing but after thinking about it seems I do)

Wheres my harem!?
Old 2010-06-27, 22:45   Link #9
james0246

^I guess you're not spineless, weak or foolish enough to get a harem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Also, cheap animation by using stills in fights. Sometimes it looks cool, but other times it just annoys me.
Cheap animation is always a problem. I don't mind static backgrounds (even ill-defined background), and I do not mind stills during a battle (as so long as they are used as supporting images (like the famous crossing of the arms/legs as two warriors jump into the air and clash)), but I hate when the characters are off-model (I don't care that the character designs change between the different animation teams (this is especially true of long running series), but when the teams can't even keep the character designs consistent throughout an episode, that's when I get annoyed).

Last edited by james0246; 2010-06-27 at 22:57.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 23:50   Link #10
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Age - just WTF? Why all characters are so young?! It is rare when main characters and others are older than 12-14. What's the problem? Why can't they be 15-16 or older? If you want them to be kids then make them act like ones instead of giving them 18 years old brains! Why would people from 16 and above want to watch show about kids? Age seriously ruins everything.

Yoko from Gurren Lagan - just in which place does she look like 14? What would change if she was at least 16?

GTO - like this show a lot but none of those kids looks like 14 nor do they act like one. I know why they are not older because of plot idea but why do they have to look so old? And why all of them are so smart? I don't remeber it being a school for kids with high IQ.

Air Gear - 20 year old Simca is after 13 year old Ikki... any feelings? I was actually having a WTF moment when I found out about her age. And people wonder from where pedophiles appear... or constant Ikki fanservice? He is freacking 13! Stop showing his naked body! And I haven't seen a single 13 year old with such nice body build unless they were working out every day for a long time.
You do realise the target demographic of most anime, don't you?

Much as we would like to think otherwise, most anime are made for kids. We could complain that Disney cartoon characters are seldom older than teenagers as well.

If the age of your favourite anime characters bothers you, then that's probably a hint that it's time for you, as a viewer, to move on to shows that target older audiences. Such anime do exist, rare though they may be. Better yet, start venturing out of animation. I'd say it's about time too, as anime seems to have entered a temporary trough, while American TV programming has been getting better recently (reality TV, thank goodness, is finally starting to peter out).

Anime is not at the same creative peak that it was in during the late 1990s to early 2000s, in my opinion. But, of course, that's merely my point of view. Your mileage may vary.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 05:47   Link #11
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
One thing I hate about anime with multiple love interests is that frequently the non-winners (or perhaps winners depending on your opinion) never go on to find anyone else-- it's rare that they even get interested in anyone else. Or maybe it happens off screen, but it sucks regardless.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 06:06   Link #12
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
When it ends
It always ruins my day, and sometimes the next few days, depending on how long and how good the anime was. A wierd phase f depression.

Last edited by Samurai dono; 2010-06-28 at 06:09. Reason: spelling :(
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 08:15   Link #13
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You do realise the target demographic of most anime, don't you?

Much as we would like to think otherwise, most anime are made for kids. We could complain that Disney cartoon characters are seldom older than teenagers as well.

If the age of your favourite anime characters bothers you, then that's probably a hint that it's time for you, as a viewer, to move on to shows that target older audiences. Such anime do exist, rare though they may be. Better yet, start venturing out of animation. I'd say it's about time too, as anime seems to have entered a temporary trough, while American TV programming has been getting better recently (reality TV, thank goodness, is finally starting to peter out).

Anime is not at the same creative peak that it was in during the late 1990s to early 2000s, in my opinion. But, of course, that's merely my point of view. Your mileage may vary.
Just look at the fanservice level in those shows, there is no way kid is allowed to watch it.
Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maou was said to not have any age limit yet sexual themes are simply exploding in it.
Air Gear was said to be for people +17 yet we have a 13 year old hero who runs around naked and is molested by 20 year old pedophile 0_o
Old 2010-06-28, 08:20   Link #14
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The fans. Always griping about one thing or another....

Seriously though, anime is a medium, so complaining about specific shows, or specific tropes in specific genres is in no way a reflection of the medium. If you want to talk about frame rate issues, editing techniques, animation short-cuts, etc or something indicative of the medium, then let's talk, otherwise you are not talking about anime, but rather specific shows (tropes, genres, etc)...
THIS.

always something,
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 09:39   Link #15
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
but I hate when the characters are off-model (I don't care that the character designs change between the different animation teams (this is especially true of long running series), but when the teams can't even keep the character designs consistent throughout an episode, that's when I get annoyed).
This. A thousand time this. Most of the other things I can complain about aren't really anime specific but irks me the most. If happens during the early episodes, the show should be a sequel of something else that I enjoyed or else drop. Its the reason that the first season of Higurashi is sitting on my hard disk unwatched.
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 10:39   Link #16
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Just look at the fanservice level in those shows, there is no way kid is allowed to watch it.
Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maou was said to not have any age limit yet sexual themes are simply exploding in it.
Air Gear was said to be for people +17 yet we have a 13 year old hero who runs around naked and is molested by 20 year old pedophile 0_o
That just proves the point. Most anime is targeted at people who are one or more of:
- literal children or teenagers
- people who think and/or behave like they are teenagers, i.e. fat male nerds in their 20's or fat yaoi fangirls
- terrible nerds
Most of the really "big" shows (i.e. Naruto, One Piece, Gundam etc) appeal to all of these groups; that's why they are big.

There is very little anime that is targeted at people over 20 that aren't manchildren or huge nerds; it's pretty much limited to the Noitamina timeslot and a few other exceptions here and there.

To get back on topic: I hate (almost) everything about anime in general, and fansubbers in particular.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 11:33   Link #17
Katz

Send a message via MSN to Katz
The only thing I really don't like about anime is the social stigma that goes along with it. I guess anime is considered weird/nerdy and usually I don't tell people I like anime unless I know that they do also, or I know that they're decent people who won't care (generally my friends know but not acquaintances don't).
Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 12:14   Link #18
Romantic girl

I really rare find things i hate about anime but the most thing i hate it is when the HERO always win ..I haven't see any anime that the hero dies
SUCH A BORING THING ABOUT ANIME
example : Naruto , DBZ

Or when there is no ending for the series such as
Skip beat
Code geass R2
Pandora ect

and also when the authors agree for other ppl to dub their anime
it really annoy me
Romantic girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 12:23   Link #19
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic girl View Post
I really rare find things i hate about anime but the most thing i hate it is when the HERO always win ..I haven't see any anime that the hero dies
SUCH A BORING THING ABOUT ANIME
example : Naruto , DBZ
LOL... I would suggest you expand your anime experience. You won't find 'the hero dies' titles watching anything mainstream like Naruto, DBZ.

Problem is, you can't really ask for suggestions because then you'd be spoiled, now wouldn't you.
Old 2010-06-28, 12:49   Link #20
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
You've got that a little messed up. The reason for the fanservice level in a lot of these shows is because it will appeal to younger viewers, specifically, hormone-raging-adolescents (or folks who still have this mindset). Eg. Love Hina, Negima, both shounen shows aimed at younger males.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote