AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-07-03, 16:53   Link #1
Onniguru

What does your encoding pipe look like?

Here is my noobish system, more or less (varies based on what I have to start with):

Last edited by Onniguru; 2007-07-09 at 13:18. Reason: While this post has not been edited, the image it points to *has*
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 17:37   Link #2
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
eww, filtering in virtualdub?
avisynth -> [huffyuv for complex scripts ->] x264.exe
graphedit -> wav -> neroaacenc/vorbisenc
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 17:54   Link #3
martino
makes no files now

AviDemux...? Is that really of any use at all when you have VDub, graphedit and AviSynth at your disposal to take care of nearly any possible format out there (including silly WMVs and RMVBs)...

Video: AviSynth -> Huffy -> x264 -> mp4box/mkvtoolnix/AviMuxGUI (+ audio)
Audio: AviSynth -> NeroAacEnc/Lame/VorbisEnc or graphedit -> wave -> NeroAacEnc/Lame/VorbisEnc (when I feel like I want an intermediate wave file at my disposal) or Demux audio -> NeroAacEnc/Lame/VorbisEnc (if the tool I'm using supports direct conversion from format a to format b)
- Yes, my audio transcoding is awful. I choose my steps depending on the source and the output per project.

Last edited by martino; 2007-07-04 at 18:06.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 00:19   Link #4
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
eww, filtering in virtualdub?
avisynth -> [huffyuv for complex scripts ->] x264.exe
graphedit -> wav -> neroaacenc/vorbisenc
more or less like this, minus graphedit -> wav (replace them with avisynth)
of course, ended with either mp4box or mkvmerge

I remember seeing someone's 'complex' flowchart which involves vfr and workraw
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 00:59   Link #5
Zanejin
*Fansubber

I've yet to encode a complex TV rip. Here's my process for DVD releases:

DVD Decrypter > DVD2AVI
V
Video: IVTC and deinterlacing in YATTA > AviSynth filtering in YATTA > VFR stuff in YATTA or just Notepad++ if YATTA doesn't agree > Lossless pass in FFVH > two-pass final encode in Cef's newest build of the x264 CLI encoder
Audio: BeLight as a GUI for BeSweet when transcoding audio to LPCM > lossy compression in Hydrogenaudio-recommended version of CLI aoTuV oggenc2 for Vorbis (2.0) or Nero AAC (5.1)
Subtitles: SubRip > Aegisub
V
MKVtoolnix
Old 2007-07-05, 11:49   Link #6
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
If you still use vdub to filter, please quit fansubbing now cause you fail at it... Learn to use AVS, Megui, x264, etc

ps: where's my super cool blue dot above my avatar
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 02:14   Link #7
Access

Like he said above.

If you use Vdub to do anything other than the final encode (using 'fast recompress' mode, no filtering) you are forcing at least two unnecessary colorspace conversions. With fast recompress mode, VDub will try to encode from whatever native colorspace it's given.

When avisynth 2.0 started to work it was a great thing, and it allows you to never have to even touch another RGB colorspace, plus the filters are nonlinear and much more powerful.

If as above you are already using avisynth for something, it's easy to transition and use it for everything (other than the final encoding). Then you can stop calling yourself 'noobish'.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 03:26   Link #8
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool View Post
You can add it yourself. Go to the User CP from the menu at the top, and then from the options list on the left, you'll find Group Memberships towards the bottom. I'll leave the rest to you.
Old 2007-07-09, 11:33   Link #9
Onniguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
AviDemux...? Is that really of any use at all when you have VDub, graphedit and AviSynth at your disposal to take care of nearly any possible format out there (including silly WMVs and RMVBs)...

I've actually take both avidemux and Vdubmod out of the audio-demuxing stage, because there are too many audios out there that neither support. I've only recently "discovered" megui...so Im learning the ropes on that one. I've not started using megui for all my audio demuxing needs.

As for avisynth, my spartan use of that is because that is another one Im just learning the ropes on. What is the best front end for avisynth? Im using AvsEdit currently. I tried AvsGenie or whatever its called, but couldn't get it to load all the filters that should have already been there.
Old 2007-07-09, 11:37   Link #10
Onniguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool View Post
If you still use vdub to filter, please quit fansubbing now cause you fail at it... Learn to use AVS, Megui, x264, etc

avs does not have support for the logo 1.5 filter I use. At any rate, I'm still learning the ropes on AVS....most of the other filtering I do can be done there; just not the logo. BTW if you read the image more carefully, you will see that I am, in fact, already using megui and x264. I'm just not experienced with megui yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Like he said above.

If you use Vdub to do anything other than the final encode (using 'fast recompress' mode, no filtering) you are forcing at least two unnecessary colorspace conversions. With fast recompress mode, VDub will try to encode from whatever native colorspace it's given.

When avisynth 2.0 started to work it was a great thing, and it allows you to never have to even touch another RGB colorspace, plus the filters are nonlinear and much more powerful.

If as above you are already using avisynth for something, it's easy to transition and use it for everything (other than the final encoding). Then you can stop calling yourself 'noobish'.
Same answer... I can do all the filtering in avisynth like you said (including decimate and certainly fps), except for the logo. If avisynth can support Donald Graft's logo filter, logo.vdf, please let me know

At any rate, the consensus seems to be "lrn2aivsynth, n00b", so basically that is what I will be doing.

Last edited by Onniguru; 2007-07-09 at 12:12.
Old 2007-07-09, 12:26   Link #11
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onniguru View Post
avs does not have support for the logo 1.5 filter I use. At any rate, I'm still learning the ropes on AVS....most of the other filtering I do can be done there; just not the logo. BTW if you read the image more carefully, you will see that I am, in fact, already using megui and x264. I'm just not experienced with megui yet.

Same answer... I can do all the filtering in avisynth like you said (including decimate and certainly fps), except for the logo. If avisynth can support Donald Graft's logo filter, logo.vdf, please let me know

At any rate, the consensus seems to be "lrn2aivsynth, n00b", so basically that is what I will be doing.
Well what are you using the logo filter for.... I just use what was in the avisynth thread. its in TheFluff's post. Just overlay the png on top of the video our your lossless overlay.
Old 2007-07-09, 12:41   Link #12
martino
makes no files now

AviSynth can load VDub plugins (not sure to what extent though), you're gonna have to search for how to do it. I never tried it myself. And I'm not sure why you would anyway, most of the useful VDub plugins have been ported in some way to AviSynth (only one I miss is the DotCrawl one which works pretty fine actually) and it offers any more functions/features than VDub... just don't cry for the GUI, because you are not going to get one.
Old 2007-07-09, 13:16   Link #13
Onniguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire] View Post
Well what are you using the logo filter for.... I just use what was in the avisynth thread. its in TheFluff's post. Just overlay the png on top of the video our your lossless overlay.
The Donald Graff logo system has a lot of cool features. Still, I might have to abandon it, if its the only thing keeping me using Vdub.
Old 2007-07-09, 15:25   Link #14
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

For audio in AVI:
avimuxgui
For audio in MKV:
mkvextract
For anything else, convert to PCM and reencode. Converting any audio to PCM for reencoding:
Avisynth (directshowsource(video=false)) + VirtualDub -> Save WAV
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote