AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-31, 05:59   Link #101
SilentGhost
Lord of Darkness

I don't mind the animation after the initial shock. The ED animation was tough to deal with at first, it just made the stylized work that much more pronounced. Like the Guren-Lagan mess only backwards. GL introduced "normal" animation as the standard, then ep.4 threw stylized in and fans felt betrayed. Gigantic F has stylized as normal but keeps reminding us what "normal" is. I just adapt to the art and skip the ending now, saves grief lol.

The plot feels like they took the shiniest bits from various mecha anime and rolled them together. Not to say thats bad, even directors can be influenced by older works. The one thing that honestly irked me though was the "Japan is selecting its pilot through a video game tournament", which felt like a Ryusei Date plug, then all thats forgotten and we get the Shinji-esque "Im not a soldier and this doesnt concern me". The first two episodes felt wishy washy and should have been stronger on his motives. Why play the game if you wouldnt die to be given the real thing? If the military scooped me up and said "Hey you, pilot this robot and save the world/our country." the first thing out of my mouth'd be "What button arms the weapons?"

The true power behind the mechas didnt freak anyone else out though?

Spoiler for plot.:
Old 2007-06-06, 23:21   Link #102
rimaa

i really don't think this anime is that interesting at all but week after week i keep downloading it and watching it....yeah i agree with you SilentGhost
Old 2007-06-10, 20:55   Link #103
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I dunno about you, but i like this series, i like how they look int othe background of evry nation, makes them more human.

And no, i was not surprised it was powered by a stone head, i mean we had mecha powered by HEROIC SPIRIT, GHOSTS, ANGELS, and FUSINO STAR GENERATORS, and even little girls.

nothing surprise me, but i really like the idea that the war was not man-made, but a calling of these mysterious but ancient "Gods" its jumps on the back of another myth, but hell we love them ,and the younger kids need something to get them more interested in Ancient History, so im all for it.

As for the latest Episode, ep8, it was cool, but i was little disappointed that the Brit's mecha, once again has the trademark Bearskin hat, mind you, at leasedi t's one of the few mechas that kept its "God" head exposed, very much like the Chinese one, idunno if thats a good sign or bad one....

Neveraless, its sad to see the French mecha looking pretty, i just hope the Brits make it up with sheer stiff upper lip, lets those frogs taste its noble obligess!!

:P
Old 2007-06-14, 13:34   Link #104
Necro-

anyone know whats happening with this series now?

lunar doesn't list it as in progress anime so i was wondering if they dumped it and if so is anyone else subbing it?
Old 2007-06-17, 10:30   Link #105
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

don't worry, lunar still subbing it! ep 9 is out!

but holy HARUHI!

i was wondering how they were going to handle the classic UK/France Duel.

Was it going to go the traditional France beat UK because historically the UK beat the french?

Or will they got cliche and go with the UK ?

but oh know, its a DOUBLE KO!!

wow!

talk about all fair in love and war...

looks like the UN had to pass the resolution, because A) while it was illegal for more then two Gigantic to fight, hence only duels, "accidents" can happen

B) the resolution will stop any other exploitation of the long range "accidents"

but shame about the duel, i found it strange the UK gigantic didn't power-stab the french when he could produce saber like spears from it's hands when it had it up against the french. anyway props to Germany and Italy getting away with knocking out the two nearest rivals at their weakest.

can't wait for another episodes! go LUNAR!!!

Old 2007-06-30, 00:21   Link #106
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just dropped back in to watch episode 8 -- and enjoyed it. I am, when all is said and done, a sucker for romance of any kind. And this was of an interesting kind and done with emotional sensitivity. Is it my imagination, or are the character designs becoming a little less unusual? Probably I'm just used to them now. They do seem to convey emotion pretty well. I may not watch every episode, but I'm enjoying the eps I do watch. The smooth animation is definitely pleasant. And I liked the harmonic whatsit mode ghost-figures.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-18, 05:02   Link #107
kam7r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I dunno about you, but i like this series, i like how they look int othe background of evry nation, makes them more human.

And no, i was not surprised it was powered by a stone head, i mean we had mecha powered by HEROIC SPIRIT, GHOSTS, ANGELS, and FUSINO STAR GENERATORS, and even little girls.

nothing surprise me, but i really like the idea that the war was not man-made, but a calling of these mysterious but ancient "Gods" its jumps on the back of another myth, but hell we love them ,and the younger kids need something to get them more interested in Ancient History, so im all for it.

As for the latest Episode, ep8, it was cool, but i was little disappointed that the Brit's mecha, once again has the trademark Bearskin hat, mind you, at leasedi t's one of the few mechas that kept its "God" head exposed, very much like the Chinese one, idunno if thats a good sign or bad one....

Neveraless, its sad to see the French mecha looking pretty, i just hope the Brits make it up with sheer stiff upper lip, lets those frogs taste its noble obligess!!

:P
lol "noblesse oblige" is a french sentence thought
Old 2007-07-19, 11:57   Link #108
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just saw this picture in Koshimizu Ami's blog. It's Satou Rina, the voice of Mana. She and Ami had tea together a couple of weeks ago. Ami says she will be appearing in next week's episode (ep17, I think):

There are a number of pics of Ami in my blog piece about her.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-19, 12:36   Link #109
UPR

well this my first time here but Mana is really getting on my nerves with everything she does. And after watching ep12 to see that technically the other guy is still alive really puts me down i feel for Suwa, but Mana damn her.
Old 2007-07-22, 21:05   Link #110
mdauben

I just finished watching the two most recent subs (eps 12-13) so I thought I would drop in and give this thread a "bump"

Episode 12 was mostly a recap, which are always pretty lame, but at least they did drop a few new bits into the show, so it wasn't a total waste. Episode 13 was back on track and good. I'm interested in seeing where Suwa-kun's little skin condition will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentGhost View Post
I don't mind the animation after the initial shock.
Yeah, the 60's "Keane's Waif" look is a bit off-putting at first, but I got used to it. The totally different animation style of the ED is worse, as it took me a few episodes to realize that was supposed to be Mana-san there.

Quote:
...we get the Shinji-esque "Im not a soldier and this doesnt concern me".
At least it didn't last for long (like some other mecha series that drag the whinning out for most of the series). Plus, be fair, who wouldn't be reluctant if after winning a video game tournament, some government goon said "Now we want you to risk your life piloting a giant war maching in real life-or-death combat"? I know I would! Forget the "Cool! Its a giant robot!" reaction of a mecha fan, and remember he could die out there. Foreign powers were trying to assasinate him before they even asked him to pilot Susanoo.

Quote:
The true power behind the mechas didnt freak anyone else out though?
Eh, we've had angels, aliens, AI's, magic, superscience, etc, etc. providing the motive power of mecha in other series and who knows what else. Mysterious "god heads" seem pretty much routine to me.

Quote:
Spoiler for plot.:
I thought the incentive for the various countries was some sort of political power (isn't the "Wisest World War" supposed to be some sort of contest to unify the countries of the world?). As to the "gods" motives, well, that's one of the mysteries of the series, isn't it?

Overall, I'm still enjoying this. Even if it's not terribly original the story is well put together, the characters interesting and likeable, and the mysteries intresting. I'm really looking forward to the rest.
Old 2007-07-23, 00:42   Link #111
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

im a mecha whore, iwatch it for the cold hard steel, i crave for the metal to metal combat!

can't wait for the german arch, how typical that Germany and Italy colluded to take out the Brits & French?

Old 2007-07-23, 00:48   Link #112
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
im a mecha whore, iwatch it for the cold hard steel, i crave for the metal to metal combat!

can't wait for the german arch, how typical that Germany and Italy colluded to take out the Brits & French?

LAWL.

I seriously can't wait for Gundam-Gai-Ga-*ahem*, excuse me, Chronos-0 to to join in, since it looks like it's going to be the grandmaster of all them stone heads, and of course the incumbent last boss.
Old 2007-07-23, 09:37   Link #113
UPR

Mana sort out your life seriously after watching 13 she just keeps getting on my nerves. I hope whe Suwa realizes why she cares for him he will just get angry and leave because damn.
Old 2007-07-23, 10:58   Link #114
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
Mana sort out your life seriously after watching 13 she just keeps getting on my nerves. I hope whe Suwa realizes why she cares for him he will just get angry and leave because damn.
I really felt for Suwa. He's suffering for her sake, and everyone else's. Even though he's not a soldier, and wasn't trained as a soldier, he's keeping his pain hidden(or at least trying as they eavesdrop on him) from everyone else. After he got over his brief Shinji stunt, he really sharpened up as a character(when I first saw it I groaned and held my head).

I must be in the minority, but at his age I would have JUMPED at the chance to pilot a mecha. Then again, i had dreams of being a fighter pilot at his age, and lived on a Naval Base because of my father growing up.
Old 2007-07-23, 15:15   Link #115
UPR

well Suwa is one of the better male lead characters, to bad the lead female is so bad (when i mean bad is annoying), Suwa forget about her I don't remember which ep but you had a boat load of love letters on your desk choose one them. Mana is just using you because you look like that other guy.
Old 2007-07-23, 15:48   Link #116
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
Mana is just using you because you look like that other guy.
I don't know. I think she was having some conflicted feeling at first, because he did reminder her of that other guy.
Spoiler for The Other Guy:
Old 2007-07-23, 15:52   Link #117
UPR

yeah but will Suwa see it that way if he finds out, which i believe he has to. Somebody will eventually tell him.

Ive been ranting alot about how I dislike Mana but if she settles her emotional state and says I like Suwa for Suwa then yeah I hope thise two can be together.
Old 2007-07-31, 08:34   Link #118
UPR

anybody know what ep raw are at?
Old 2007-07-31, 10:02   Link #119
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Raws are at 17 IIRC.

And I don't really mind Mana. For once, its the female lead that has problems with the past, which is a breath of fresh air for me. And now its the male lead who can't leave their better half alone, lol. Then again, tole-reversal never ceases to amuse me.

And I guess I'm the same as Onizuka-GTO... I love mecha battles. Of course, KTGF has more going for it than mecha battles (in particular, the character development of each of the country's pilot/translator), but the mecha variety in this show is like heaven for me. And the battles? Top-notch IMO. One of the reasons why I hated the NA Transformers live-action movie... not nearly enough mecha battles. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-07-31, 15:07   Link #120
UPR

the thing that bothers me about Mana is that she up to now (im with subs up to ep 13) only seems look after Suwa because he looks like the other guy. Just look at when he hugged Suwa, and seeing the guy is still sorta "alive" makes it even harder for them to be together which i wish happens.

Tags
mecha, supernatural