AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-08-30, 17:24   Link #121
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Send a message via AIM to Meiaminkbell
Five minutes transgressed into eight 30-minute episdes...

Oh yeah, it's the brunt of my jokes towards DBZ.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to cliche's, I find them enjoyable on the whole. But one that really irks me (that I can think of at the moment), and I'm sure it's been mentioned is...

Two characters fell in love/promised to marry each other when they were younger (I mean, 5-6 age range when you don't relaly know what love is). Fast-forwardto the main story, some 10 odd years later, and they meet someone else. They spend the entire show building feelings between the old character and the new to the point where they are in love, and all of a sudden the childhood friend comes along, and the new character is all but forgotten about.

Love Hina pushed the envelope with this, and Psychic Academy is a big issue with me.

Last edited by Meiaminkbell; 2007-08-30 at 17:35.
Meiaminkbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 21:30   Link #122
Kyomi
What do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
This is sadly a staple in shounen fighting anime.

Anyone remember the infamous Freeza's "FIVE MINUTES LEFT!"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzlewiz View Post
I have to agree with a few others who already said this commonly used cliche.
The "enemy" waits as the Hero or Heroine do a transformation sequence (I have an example of this one, it was really bad, but I only vaguely remember is and i forgot the name) or do an attack shout or anything like this. But, the anime that is worst about things like this, Naruto. I mean, THIS IS A FREAKING EPIC BATTLE! ARE YOU GONNA SIT THERE AND CONVERSE FOR 5 MINUTES WITH THE VILLIAN WATCHING YOU? I am serious, at least five minutes, and the villian just sites and stares at them. <ost recent is in the recent episodes, Chiyo and Sakura just sit there, and Sakura's poison thing is working away at her health! C'Mon, C'mon! (As a side note I am not an avid watcher of Naruto, nor do I particularly like it, but it can be good at some points.)
Thats the only real bad cliche that really gets me bad.
Sarutobi vs Orochimaru ~Fuuinjutsu Shiki Fuujin (Demon sealing)
The moment the third casted the Jutsu (not counting the whole fight, only the Technique) and the moment he actualy finished sealing Orochimarus arms was eight episodes from 72 to 79.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 22:32   Link #123
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzlewiz View Post
I have to agree with a few others who already said this commonly used cliche.
The "enemy" waits as the Hero or Heroine do a transformation sequence (I have an example of this one, it was really bad, but I only vaguely remember is and i forgot the name) or do an attack shout or anything like this.
Well, transformation sequences are supposed to be only seconds in length-it's just animated longer to make it prettiful. I actually did a little joke with this in a self-written manga: the heroine is walking along in deep thought and this demon jumps out from behind a tree and tries to attack her. But she transforms AS she's walking and beats it up while she's still thinking about this thing. XD

Quote:
But, the anime that is worst about things like this, Naruto. I mean, THIS IS A FREAKING EPIC BATTLE! ARE YOU GONNA SIT THERE AND CONVERSE FOR 5 MINUTES WITH THE VILLIAN WATCHING YOU? I am serious, at least five minutes, and the villian just sites and stares at them. <ost recent is in the recent episodes, Chiyo and Sakura just sit there, and Sakura's poison thing is working away at her health! C'Mon, C'mon! (As a side note I am not an avid watcher of Naruto, nor do I particularly like it, but it can be good at some points.)
Thats the only real bad cliche that really gets me bad.
I also hate this. XD I hate talking during a battle unless they're like, you know, attacking WHILE they talk. I HATE FLASHBACKS TOO.
Old 2007-08-30, 22:48   Link #124
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
This is sadly a staple in shounen fighting anime.

Anyone remember the infamous Freeza's "FIVE MINUTES LEFT!"?
How many super saiyans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one, but it'll take 10 episodes.

But then again, which anime is truly realistic?
Old 2007-08-31, 02:01   Link #125
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
How many super saiyans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one, but it'll take 10 episodes.

But then again, which anime is truly realistic?
Grave of the Fireflies.... and that's just about it.
Old 2007-08-31, 18:40   Link #126
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Is it me or do all classrooms point the same way? Meaning that the windows are ALWAYS on the students left hand side.

And what is is with those last 2 seats next to the window. If you are in those, you are sure to have wacky adventures.
Old 2007-08-31, 23:08   Link #127
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdern View Post
Is it me or do all classrooms point the same way? Meaning that the windows are ALWAYS on the students left hand side.
That's not a cliche, Tasdern.
That's how Japanese schools are designed.
Windows to the left, hallways to the right. And there are no classess facing each other across the hallway, the other side of the hallway is windows. All the Japanese schools I've ever attended or been to have this same architecture.
Old 2007-09-01, 12:12   Link #128
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Japan is surely a strange land.
Old 2007-09-01, 12:30   Link #129
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Japan is surely a strange land.
Wth? That is how most school are in eastern Asia as far as I know not just Japan. There is nothing wrong with how school is designed, except those long hall way (though I don't think they were that long though).
Old 2007-09-02, 00:22   Link #130
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Basically I think I dislike that in 95% of animes that feature a male/female osananajimi pair, I can always count on the female to have romantic feelings for the male. The chance of the male reciprocating said feelings is much smaller.
If 95% of anime that has an osananajimi pair, the girl likes the guy, then ~70% of the time he will eventually reciprocate it by statistics over shows in 2000-2006. http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=604 (I don't think I put Kekkaishi/Kenichi in there yet, but they're most probably 'wins' too, but its too early to tell yet)

So really, I can't see how people can claim that the male has a much smaller chance of reciprocating her feelings. One of my biggest peeves is that people think that the 'unlucky osananajimi' is prevalent when it's the opposite that is actually true. If anything, people should be complaining that the osananjimi wins too much, because any betting man would bet on the childhood friend character to end up as the winner in an anime. I mean, there's a reason why more often than not, the main heroine in an eroge (or even your typical J-RPGs) is the osananajimi if she is indeed present in it.

Compare this to western TV, and you will see the childhood friend's chances of winning over the protagonists heart plummets to about 5% win rate.

Quote:
And why is the female always over cooking at the male's house? How come she seems to always be waking him up in the morning? And how come no one finds this behavior odd within the show itself?
I can name from my list of 2000-2006 (from a hazy memory): Touch, Comic Party, Pitaten, Ai Yori Aoshi, Asagiri no Miko, Last Exile, Mizuiro, Da Capo, Tsukihime, KonoMini, Natsuiro no Sunadokei, Wind (rotfl), HaniHani, Elfen Lied, To heart:RmM, Onegai Twins, Shuffle, To Heart 2, Lamune, Kamisama Kazoku, Tonagura, Kanon, Gift as the shows that has exhibited the female cooking/waking up the protagonist.

23 shows out of 69, or a third of the shows, exhibited this property. While it is commonplace with the osannajimi cliche, its still isn't as prevalent as most people claim it to be. Certainly not enough to warrant the 'always' clause, nor do I think at that percentage it is 'over-used'.

One thing I can agree though is that it certainly almost only ever happens with the osananajimi cliche, since these are actions that one can only do if they are familiar with the character. As such, these are actions that one would expect of the girlfriend to do once they get together, but really, vast majority of shows end long before they reach that stage as most shows end when the guy/girl finally gets together. So yes, its more noticeable on the osananajimi because she ends up doing girlfriend things when she isn't the girlfriend at that time, poor girl lol.

There are only two other cliches who I noticed this on: one is when a guy/girl has circumstances making them live together, but thats VERY rare if they aren't osana-najimi or related to each other. The other is the little sister, but everyone knows that more often than not, they're not related. And if they're not related and known each other for a long time, then they're most probably osana-najimi lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 20:33   Link #131
Kagami_

Quote:

And what is is with those last 2 seats next to the window. If you are in those, you are sure to have wacky adventures.
HAHA i noticed that too!! the main characters ALWAYS sit by the window
Kagami_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 21:40   Link #132
Kagami_

Its not really a cliche but Ive noticed female characters wearing shrine clothes with red pants and they usually have black hair or dark hair with purple/blue highlights.

Rei Hino/Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
Kikyo (Inuyasha)
Motoko Aoyama (Love Hina)
Rika Furude (Higurashi)

theres more but im too lazy to look for pics like that girl from mahou sensei, etc

Last edited by Kagami_; 2007-09-04 at 15:00.
Old 2007-09-04, 00:50   Link #133
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

I believe you are talking about mikos, the priestess of a shinto shrine. And japanese people are probably more comfterble with them dark haired. Since long black hair have been their image for centaries.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 14:59   Link #134
Kagami_

Yeah, youre right shinto shrine priestess always look better with dark hair I guess but I see too many characters like that
Old 2007-09-04, 17:30   Link #135
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

I guess I look forward to see one with bright coloured hair too

another cliche, in a detective anime, when the murderer intended to kill more than one person, the detectives allways finish the case only when all the ppl are killed already. Not one single time a target was left out.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 19:05   Link #136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
There's a Monologue (sometimes dialogue) cliche I've noticed recently (okay for a long time actually) where a girl complains about how small her breasts are and acts like it has an effect on something completely irrelevant, like her ability to pilot a plane, or her ability to study etc and that somehow if she manages to get bigger ones, she'll have an easier life.

This was parodied in Moetan actually where the Duck Ark-Kun tells Ink that large breasts weigh the world down (actually a Gundam nod within a parody, bear with) and that Ink should be proud of her small (non-existant ones).

What's most amusing is the cliche is sort of outdated, as lolis and small breasted characters are becoming the rage, yet anime's persist in using it, when the character should be content in her Moe appeal.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 19:28   Link #137
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
I guess I look forward to see one with bright coloured hair too

another cliche, in a detective anime, when the murderer intended to kill more than one person, the detectives allways finish the case only when all the ppl are killed already. Not one single time a target was left out.
There's a good reason for that. "Great Detective Solves Murder Mystery" is a fine headline, but "Great Detective Outwits Serial Killer in Murder Mystery" tops it. Simply put, if they let the killer commit multiple murders they'll get greater fame for catching the guy.
Old 2007-09-04, 21:50   Link #138
yepimasissy

only read the original post as it was long and im watching anime at the same time .
from reading it dont get me wrong all ur points are good but u also need to think who anime is directed at (from my limited experience its directed towards teens and young adults).
i have seen a fair few animes that have almost nothing to do with jap small references here and there but it seems they were mostly almost western.
as to the fact that its 15yr olds saving the world and being our last hope think again who these shows are directed towards everyone was was that age at some point ,this is a fantasy land of sorts its where things happen that could never happen whats wrong with dreaming.
to be honest if anime was like real life it would be crap lol for example.

real life = wake up go to school chat with friends organise weekend come home go to bed (repeat for 5 years)

anime = wake up go to school get chased by every single girl that for some reason all look hot, save the world.

S.

ps- probly sounds like a load of crap but i never was good at english i just type whats in my head at the time.
yepimasissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 22:42   Link #139
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

How about the big breasted girl is always the quiet one.

Then there are the episodes which are cliches, the usual "Beach" Eps. Shools Days is at ep 10 and at any moment, I'm expecting the plot to be paused for the obligatory beach or hot spring EP.

And how about those boob grabbing girls?

Oh, and I forget, True Love can only be realized by a couple if they have met when they were very small kids.

And, if they have met as a little kid, one of them probably doesn't remember it - usually the guy.

There is always at leat one teenage girl who is a master chef. This master chef is also balanced by the girl who can't boil water.

And the biggest cliche of all time.... Inuyasha - that guy is over 500 years old and still hasn't been to second base with Kagome.

Last edited by Tasdern; 2007-09-05 at 22:49. Reason: they just keep comming.
Tasdern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 23:54   Link #140
Kyomi
What do I know?

I just watched the third anime where the main character dies in the first episode, get his ass saved by a girl, and team up with her. Not an "overused cliche" but still.. seems a bit awkward to me.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote