AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-12-14, 08:44   Link #81
bungoman

Robotech: Invasion

I'm a huge Robotech fanboy, so like three years ago when I learned there was gonna be another Robotech game for the PS2, and this time based on the events surrounding the Invid Invasion I was stoked belief. When I got the game home and started playing it though I kinda felt a little disappointed that none of the main characters from the show made a big presence in the game. The graphics weren't awful or anything, but they sorta screamed "budget title" at times. The controls were very confusing at first, but I adjusted and soon found them to be adequate despite not being entirely intuitive. I guess my main complaint with the game is the repetitiveness of the gameplay. You basically walk through linear levels (some of which are really cool, others which are boring and badly designed) and shoot a seemingly never ending stream of Invid. There was some innovation here and there, especially in the Invid hive levels, but overall nothing that really grabbed my attention. It disappointed me so much because the concept had such great potential but it seems like some parts were rushed and it was so inconsistent.
bungoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 16:14   Link #82
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungoman View Post
Robotech: Invasion
Ahhhh, yes there's that game. It dissappointed me quite a bit as well. It felt like I was playing a HALO rip-off, but with weaker conception. Where were the sky battles with the Veritechs? That's like, the main attraction point of Robotech, not walking around in a little motorcycle suit. >.>
Old 2007-12-16, 05:43   Link #83
bungoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Ahhhh, yes there's that game. It dissappointed me quite a bit as well. It felt like I was playing a HALO rip-off, but with weaker conception. Where were the sky battles with the Veritechs? That's like, the main attraction point of Robotech, not walking around in a little motorcycle suit. >.>
Well there was Robotech: Battlecry, which was a fairly decent game (I'd give it a solid 7/10, maybe even 7.5/10). In that game you get to pilot the Veritech fighters.

It's been a few years since I watched the Invid Invasion series, but if I recall correctly there were only a few Veritech fighters in it, most of the show really was the characters moving around in smaller vehicles like the motorcycle suit things; so the video game did stay true to that.
bungoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 17:02   Link #84
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Well there was Robotech: Battlecry, which was a fairly decent game (I'd give it a solid 7/10, maybe even 7.5/10). In that game you get to pilot the Veritech fighters.
Yes I know, I have that game. But why does that mean that Invasion should basically be a Halo ripoff?

Quote:
It's been a few years since I watched the Invid Invasion series, but if I recall correctly there were only a few Veritech fighters in it, most of the show really was the characters moving around in smaller vehicles like the motorcycle suit things; so the video game did stay true to that.
They were still there in the anime. However, in Invasion you don't get them at all. That's my point.
Old 2007-12-20, 15:32   Link #85
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I liked that game. I played it for the Gamecube, and it was fun. After I beat it, I looked up codes for weapon refresh and invincibility and went through it all again in one sitting. Yeah, I know. I'm a nerd.
Old 2007-12-21, 13:05   Link #86
Flibble
Sleepy

ffxii - overhyped isn't even the word... lol
Lets forget character development, character driven plot and a fun battle system
lets forget balanced enemies and summons being useful
lets make everything compleetely blank and play the same...

Oblivion - lol well... stupidly i thought some of people raving i might have agreed with...
I did not ¬_¬
Lets make lots of hills and trees and a semi-realistic world...
But lets fill it with 329487 dungeons which are all just aimless pointless repeated Sewer/Ruin/Cave again and again...
Without a shred of anything i could call a storyline and a game that actually punishes you for leveling up lol

Sonic 360 - Well its not finished lol...
it wasn't bug tested, stage design sucks
half of the cack in the game aint finished or included in the game...
FFS the manual and an endoursed guide talk about modes and items which don't exist within the game...
People hacking the game have manged to find stuff that wasn't even used or finished lol...

Assasin's Creed - great world, brilliantly done, great execution...
loonishly repetitive lol...
and the most stupid plot thought up, merely to justify bad design decisions lol...

Mario 64 - Overrated, sluggish, not fun, slippy slidey and unresponsive
I never liked it when it was new, dislike it more now...
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 20:42   Link #87
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

Hitman 3: Contracts - According to a review, I've read that this game is no successor to Hitman 2. Being more of an expansion pack than anything else due to its exact same graphics and same game engine, it somehow manages to highlights bugs that were more easily overlooked in its predecessor.

I still plan to play it though, just to see for myself.
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 21:50   Link #88
demonkd
prince of all demons

morriowind...thought fable was kinda short...expansion add a couplr more hours and some new weapons...im more fps person...hence the short list
demonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 03:37   Link #89
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
Hitman 3: Contracts - According to a review, I've read that this game is no successor to Hitman 2. Being more of an expansion pack than anything else due to its exact same graphics and same game engine, it somehow manages to highlights bugs that were more easily overlooked in its predecessor.

I still plan to play it though, just to see for myself.
I would have to agree wholeheartedly with what you said. It really did feel like an expansion pack, and on top of that it was absurdly easy compared to Hitman 2. Got Silent Assassin on pretty much every level without even trying. Thankfully they made up for it with Blood Money.

Planetside - The first ever MMOFPS, how awesome!! Yet it sucked. Hard. Incredibly repetitive areas, mondo lag, crap objectives. Bleh.

Deus Ex: Invisible War - I loved the first one so freakin much, this game didn't even come close to the original.

Crysis - Eh...I'm still unsure on this one. I have played a bit of it with a decent framerate and I haven't really found it satisfying so far. Guess I will wait to pass judgment when my computer is up to snuff.

Team Fortress 2 - Yeah. You heard me. I waited 8 years and all I get is a graphical upgrade and 2fort. I know there are other maps, but capturing control points sucks. This isn't Battlefield or Warhawk or Team Control Points. This is Team FORTRESS. They tried the whole control point deal with Canal Zone in TFC and it didn't really take, yet they come full force with those types of maps this time around? Wheres Rock2!? Wheres the real Well map? Medics can't infect or concussion jump. Engineers can't dispenser jump (to my knowledge). They ruined spies with cloaking ability. I should be able to jump on a spy who has feigned death and prevent him from getting up until I deem it necessary to beat him to death with a wrench like in the original TFC. They even messed up sentry guns this time around, since they changed dispensers. Now I can hide behind a sentry gun hitting it constantly with a wrench while I get restocked by the dispenser automatically. What is a spy supposed to do in that position? Before they could just lob grenades at the sentry and blow them both up. Problem solved. Now however, they got to decide whether they want to try and sap the sentry...RESULT: Shotgun blast to the face by the engineer, or they want to stab the engineer...RESULT: You lose disguise while stabbing Engy, sentry gun then rapes you. Before, every class had a chance of taking down a sentry gun. Yeah, I get it Valve, you want to force teamwork in the game. Well how is that working out? Not so well I'd say! Eh...alright enough of my ranting. They messed up sniping too!! Okay, I'm done, be cool, be cool. Its going to be ok, breathe in, breathe out.

PS- No Hunted either, which means no Presidente!! *cry*

Shun me, for I am frumious!

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2007-12-22 at 03:47.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 09:36   Link #90
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

Planetside - The first ever MMOFPS, how awesome!! Yet it sucked. Hard. Incredibly repetitive areas, mondo lag, crap objectives. Bleh.
Yeah, I remember that game. Half the time the "massive battles" were a huge zerg taking a facility from 2 guys, then as soon as they left another side's zerg just took it back. The continents were huge but almost completely empty. There were only 2 or 3 out of the 9 or so that any fighting actually happened on. Also it seemed like half the population changed factions whenever a new nerf/buff was applied. And yeah, the lag was terrible and I could rarely shoot anything if an actual battle took place; like in UT2k4 most of my kills came from just running people over with the vehicles.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:34   Link #91
tkdtiger

Well I tried out Halo. I thought that game was a bit overrated. It wasn't a bad game, but it seemed to lack something.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:39   Link #92
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
Well I tried out Halo. I thought that game was a bit overrated. It wasn't a bad game, but it seemed to lack something.
Uniqueness, maybe? Because now that it's mainstream that EVERYONE seems to be playing it and thus makes it seem too general?
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 23:53   Link #93
tkdtiger

Quote:
Uniqueness, maybe? Because now that it's mainstream that EVERYONE seems to be playing it and thus makes it seem too general?
not really I thought it was overrated when it first came out. What was so unique about it? Of course as mentioned I didn't think it was a bad game. I felt that the pace wasn't quite as fast as I would have liked, but the game overall was still good. I just don't think it's the best FPS game on the market.

I think another over-hyped game is star craft, although that's because I stink at it :P

Last edited by tkdtiger; 2007-12-23 at 10:13.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 01:50   Link #94
Satomi87
Banned

I was pretty surprised when nobody ever mentioned Radiata Stories(PS2) by Square-Enix. It has pretty graphics and all NPCs have unique designs and personalities but the story disappointed me.

It just about angsty boy who betrayed his own kind for a sake of a girl who chose her fate to be sacrified. The girl volunteered to be sacrified because for sake of her world and that boy try to stop that? It just clear that the boy do everything else in rest of the game just for a girl. I mean just for a single individual instead of entire mankind and non-humans.

It is up to you is it a stupid moment or not but I do disappointed with it.
Satomi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 03:16   Link #95
EXEs
Hallelujah...

50 Cent: Bulletproof, PSP. 'Nuff said.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 04:01   Link #96
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Well, Halo basically did a few things back in its day that were quite extraordinary.

1. Rebounding health bar. This was the first, or at least, one of the first, games to use a rebounding shield in conjunction with a normal health bar. Of course, this is now the norm for a lot of FPS games.

2. One-button grenade access and melee access. It's a lot faster than the old model, where you had to specifically select the grenade/melee in your inventory before using i.

3. Good AI. For it's time, anyways. Reviews gushed over Grunts running away when an Elite got killed. Then again, back when Half Life was released, people went crazy over the fact that the special ops troops threw grenades at you when you weren't in their line of fire.

4. Expansive multiplayer. Lots of features for its time, and really, even now, still has a very full-featured multiplayer compared to other games.

Oh, and it was for the XBox. Not that many great games for the XBox when Halo came out. If it had come out on the PC or PS2, chances are it wouldn't have received nearly the same amount of success.

I'm not a big fan of the Halo series--there are way too many flaws with it, and the newer iterations are nothing compared to contemporary PC FPS, but it does have some good things about it.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 07:31   Link #97
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Yeah, unfortunately I'm without a gaming PC now, but I have heard good things about FA (not about the Seraphim though =P).

The reason why no micro is bad is because micro --> skill!
While this may not be true for most games, it's unfortunately especially not true for SC, which is basically a big number crunching game. There's a BIT of micro in the early stages, but you can never expect a large force to succumb to a small force in the hands of a better player.
Instead, skill is indicated by number of units.
On the contrary. You can expect a large force to succumb to a small force in the hands of a better player, just not in the way you think. Skill in Supcom is indicated by choice of units, and your general plan of attack (i.e. strategy), not in how you micro your units. You may not be able to make your units kill twice their cost with tricky movement, but if you halt your tank production for a bit and switch to building a few defense turrets, the turrets certainly will kill twice their cost. Similarly, Tactical Missile Launchers can very easily end the game or cripple your opponent...but only if you can manage to build some without your opponent noticing and building tactical missile defenses, and even then, if you send some mobile missile launchers to bombard his base, they can keep the defenses occupied long enough for your big missiles to get through.

There's lots of different ways to attack your opponent, or bypass his investments entirely. If your opponent has a large land army, then getting air superiority and building gunships will render his army useless. Or you can build destroyers and bombard his tanks from the sea. Or you can give your commander a weapon upgrade and let him take out the army, and earn some veteracy levels in the process. Or you can go to the next tech level and build long-range units to take out his army from far away. The game is all about attacking and countering. If your opponent sees you building up a large force in one area, he can build a counter and defeat your force for a fraction of the cost. That's how the game is balanced. Defense is much more efficient than offense, so even if your opponent gets an army twice as big as yours, you can still counter it if you build the right units. Therefore, the game is all about scouting, intelligence, and good planning.

Basically, you want a game where tactics (i.e. individual orders in the heat of battle) are everything. Supcom was explicitly designed so that that would not be the main focus. Instead, the focus is on your overall plan to win (aka strategy).

Last edited by Ziv; 2007-12-29 at 07:55.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 10:02   Link #98
Haliya
Undesperate Housewife
*Artist

FF VIII: Only things I loved about it were Fuujin, Laguna and Quistis.... I loathe the main couple... game was great but those 2 really ruined it for me. Kind of how I never liked Cloud/Sephi from FFVII... but all the other characters (and the fact that it was the first 3D RPG at the time I played it) made up for it. I actually still prefer chibi ish designs... or at least when walking on the world map. I miss world maps.

WoW: I think I just expected too much... and overly beefy males... *cringe*

Street Fighter EX series: Just.... no... stick to 2D please... Capcom, let Rival Schools handle the 3D...

Dirge of Cerberus: I love Vincent Valentine more than you could know... but this was just ugh.............. story-wise, I'm a Vinnie whore so I loved it (Yuffie too )... but they could've done better for gameplay.
Haliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 14:32   Link #99
Vidofnir

Oblivion: Beautifull landscapes, too bad it all looks and plays the same after 10 minutes. Most disappointing game ever.
Supreme commander: Good game ruined by a badly coded ai. It slows the gamespeed down to near unplayable levels.
Vidofnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 14:35   Link #100
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomi87 View Post
I was pretty surprised when nobody ever mentioned Radiata Stories(PS2) by Square-Enix. It has pretty graphics and all NPCs have unique designs and personalities but the story disappointed me.

It just about angsty boy who betrayed his own kind for a sake of a girl who chose her fate to be sacrified. The girl volunteered to be sacrified because for sake of her world and that boy try to stop that? It just clear that the boy do everything else in rest of the game just for a girl. I mean just for a single individual instead of entire mankind and non-humans.

It is up to you is it a stupid moment or not but I do disappointed with it.
Oh man, don't get me started on the story of this game. The main character wasn't really angsty, just intensely stupid. It was really hard to play as such a stupid person I couldn't identify with at all, and the story ended up making no sense regardless of what path you chose:

Spoiler for endings:
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote