AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 44 26.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 23.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 22.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 38 22.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.81%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.60%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.20%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-06, 19:11   Link #41
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I feel as though I'm the only one who loved the new op.
Haven't heard the new ed yet, still watching the raw.
I don't like watching raws of K-on...I think It's a show where you must know what they're talking about to fully enjoy it
Old 2010-04-06, 19:12   Link #42
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oddly listening to the OP over and over again...the instramental version is going to be fun. Nice beat and some interesting jazzy instramentation...just Yui's speed singing isn't the thing it should be.

ED will be fine, I'm hoping the full version will have some nice solos.
Old 2010-04-06, 19:28   Link #43
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

pretty standard ep. ed is better than the op by far, but its still no "Don't Say Lazy." they better perform that this year...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-06, 19:55   Link #44
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, I was surprised at the OP, considering someone in a famous band were one of the people who took part in making it possible. I can't say that it was bad, though. A better term would be that it was "Excessively Yui".

On the other hand, "Listen!!" definitely is interesting as it gets the 80's vibe with Mugi's keyboard setting the mood there. Me likey. :3
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-04-06, 20:12   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Eh? What are you talking about? Musically speaking, the song was fine, if extremely high energy. The song was pretty well-composed, and each instrument has some elaborate parts that require a fair bit of skill and finesse to play correctly and keep everything in time with the other players. It may sound like a mess to you, but the band performance was very tight. Vocals were sort of a matter of taste; it's a very unusual sound, but it has a certain appeal. Instrumentally, it will make for a good challenge piece for any musicians who want to give it a shot (which is one of the side-objectives of all the music in this franchise). It's not cacaphony or lacking in musicality just because you don't like it.
There was timing involved in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
pretty standard ep. ed is better than the op by far, but its still no "Don't Say Lazy." they better perform that this year...
I think it is in that I found a similar problem with the mixing of it as I did for that one, although this time it's more for the accompaniment than for the vocals. I mean I'm not expecting the next big thing in music from a show like K-On where it's not nearly as big a focus as it might sound in a plot summary......first season veterans knowing this all too well of course. However something about the series music has never sounded quite natural to me. It's like that feeling of being overly produced like Lady Gaga, but amateurishly so.........like Lady Gaga. It all feels like it's been done in response to the target fanbase's particular taste in music (idols and what not), but in recognition that they probably wouldn't notice if a light rock song sounded like it was made in a day.

Then again who in Kyoani is likely to give a damn what it sounds like really? After all they are basically in the business equivalent of the Field of Dreams right now. As long as they build it you can be sure he will come......

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-04-06 at 20:42.
Old 2010-04-06, 20:30   Link #46
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
I feel as though I'm the only one who loved the new op.
Haven't heard the new ed yet, still watching the raw.
I don't like watching raws of K-on...I think It's a show where you must know what they're talking about to fully enjoy it
I'm with you! OP is nice^^
That's true... but I could make out some scenes when watching them. For example the one with Sawako as class teacher
Old 2010-04-06, 20:41   Link #47
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Overall, the first episode was very good and what I expected... It had some really funny moments and yeah..

The OP on the other hand isn't good, mainly because of the vocals... It pretty much took the turn of Super Driver from Haruhi S2... However, the ED was pretty decent... better than the OP in my opinion...

Anyways, I'm glad to have it back...

Rating: 8.2/10
Old 2010-04-06, 20:46   Link #48
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

God, the music is already this good, I hope we can actually get more of it this time around.

If not, whatever, the opening is good but the ending theme is great, waaaaaaaaay better then "Don't Say Lazy".

Shit, how can I not enjoy a throwback to the ugliest decade (fashion wise) of my childhood?

Good shit, haha.

Oh, and I looooooooooooooooooooooooove Mio's alternate look in the ending, but Ritsu is still way hotter.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-04-06, 22:13   Link #49
jenthehen

I LOVE the new opening - very much in sync with the style of the show. GOD, I'm obsessed with the spinning camera part @___@

Great episode - more of the same, really, but that's what this show is all about
Old 2010-04-06, 22:16   Link #50
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
I hope we can actually get more of it this time around.
Already repeats in the insert and OST tracks. This does not bode well. I swear, if I hear that FuwaFuwa Time one more time...

As for the episode itself, something felt... different. Like there was a lot more going on or something. Some thoughts:
- The opening track sounded like somebody hit fast forward. Oh wait, that's just Yui.
- Introspective Yui. Feels weird, man.
- Framing is a little more playful in some scenes.
- Bit of a shift in art style to match the manga? Need to rewatch later
- Ending caught me off guard. Why is Mio the only one with a FABULOUS clone?

Hoping for a more playful season with any additional characterization avoiding the "awkward and uncomfortable" episodes in the last bit of the 1st season. Knowing KyoAni, they will shoot down any positive expectations and not care since IT STILL PRINTS MONEY.
Old 2010-04-06, 22:20   Link #51
Eater of All
NOM

I liked S1's OP since it felt somewhat catchy after a while, but this one... I literally pulled a face. The OP video was nice though, so it'll give it a few more runs to see if the song will grow on me. As for the ED... still neutral about it so far.

Anyways, episode 1 was fairly entertaining and seems to have some better animation. The comedy was improved over the previous season's too, and in a way, everything felt more natural with less blatant in-your-face moe scenes. Seeing the girls in a classroom together however made me realize that most of everything that happened in S1 took place in their club room. Since they're in the same class now, does that mean we're going to see some shifts in setting and get some classroom interactions?
Old 2010-04-06, 22:40   Link #52
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Already repeats in the insert and OST tracks. This does not bode well. I swear, if I hear that FuwaFuwa Time one more time...
Yeah, at this point my expectations for this show are dirt low. I expect nothing but fluff, like 10 minutes worth of concert scenes TOTAL from the entire season, and bunch of other crap I don't care for just like the first season.

Old 2010-04-06, 22:50   Link #53
ryohei

I like ED. I was enthusiastic about Don't say lazy. And haha I listened a new song makes me so.

Spoiler for scene:
"
Old 2010-04-06, 23:19   Link #54
chickdigger802

love the windmill lol (the who fan xD). And the broadcast quality is way better than S1.

Hope they get some new music this season and more concerts. I bet kyoani got a better budget for this season compared to the first from all the merchandising and stuff so the concerts better own. After being spoiled by Nodame and that sick concert from Angel Beat, they better not disappoint xD
Old 2010-04-06, 23:28   Link #55
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You know...after listening to the OP practically all day, I somehow mentally slow down Yui's singing a bit and the song isn't bad at all. Reminds me somewhat of some Muppet Show numbers in tempo.
Old 2010-04-06, 23:30   Link #56
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Ritsu's plan: Pretend to be injured with a dark look.
Yui's plan: What's the plan again?
Azusa's plan: Look at other clubs XD

They are together... forever XD
Old 2010-04-06, 23:30   Link #57
Master Chibi

I don't see what's wrong the opening theme.

Old 2010-04-06, 23:36   Link #58
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not sure what to think about that. The were two redeeming things about this episode, Ritsu's trickery and Sawa-chan looking hot. This is the first time I wanted a K-ON! episode to end before it ends. The OP was like what the fuck. But the ED was good, and I don't like Mio singing, so that's a plus. But that's not enough.

3/10

EDIT: Yes, the guitar solo at the beginning was awesome.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2010-04-07 at 01:47.
Old 2010-04-06, 23:40   Link #59
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Would you believe I actually did watch the episode for a larf and actually thought it was okay right up until the dialogue actually started and the surprisingly decent solo jam session by Yui was halted for talk about toast and Yui's lack of hygiene? This was also the only part of the episode that I felt actually exhibited some above average animation and care and that I think says a lot right there.

After that it was pretty much all downhill and back into the usual K-On moe aloofness where nothing really happens, the animation style is inconsistent, there's no real flow to the events and nobody gets developed or expanded upon as a character because apparently they aren't really people even though they might look vaguely human shaped. So then.....total time where hope for something a little different lasted....1 minute and 51 seconds.

However I still got my laughs out of this in my own way as expected. I've always had a knack for finding a way to make something out of nothing after all.

Seriously though if I'm being honest about the vibe this show gives I'd say that every time there's singing and/or playing of instruments like in the middle part of this opener it gives the false impression that there's some actual heart or feeling to the series and that the next scene might reflect on the moment to truly give it weight with the characters....and then they go right back to talking about nonsense and where you'd expect maybe a little acknowledgement and reflection that the singing and playing just happened and meant something to the characters the illusion is instead banished by an utter lack of continuity between what Kaoru Chujo would probably call the scenes "emotions".

It's really weird to see unfolding and makes me feel like I'm watching two entirely separate styles of narrative that never seem to overlap and thus make the show feel schizophrenic as a whole and like it's trying to fill the void between the moe, but only in a half-arsed sort of way that ultimately rings hollow. After all if the characters never seem to care or reflect on anything and confirm that it meant something to them then why should the viewer. And I'm not talking about something like the ending to last season where Yui tried to give meaning to the prior season's events and how she "grew" because of them....a notion that was proven completely false by this episode where she's shown to be the same damn klutzy immature character she was at the beginning of the first season (if not even more so) and where she has to all but ask the other girls if they think she seems like a senior to them (ultimately reducing it to a gag where the answer is a silent no).....I'm talking reflection on things that are supported by meaningful scenes we actually get to see and stuff that actually happened that has some sort of lasting effect.

Now I realize I'm asking the impossible here with a show like K-On, but I do have one place where I think there's no excuse to not improve upon at some point this season. Kyoani are supposed to be the champion of adaptations, so why not show it by giving the scenes and the episode that encompasses them some honest to god natural flow, overlapping narrative between the scenes and some form of transition to go with them. I doubt anybody is going to complain if these things are improved upon and a good place to start would be actually showing the concert scenes instead of cutting away and then showing the aftermath pretty much every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post

Hoping for a more playful season with any additional characterization avoiding the "awkward and uncomfortable" episodes in the last bit of the 1st season. Knowing KyoAni, they will shoot down any positive expectations and not care since IT STILL PRINTS MONEY.
Honestly as much as I've always picked on them they didn't used to be anywhere near this comically bad with production and screenplay decisions even a year or so ago. They at least gave the impression that they cared about what they were doing in their own way and had their own little unique vibe to how they approached adaptations even if I didn't think the shows were the greatest thing since sliced bread and I could respect that. Now though it really does seem that what I predicted has come to pass, after not being pushed to improve or keep pace with competitors on the production side of the anime business for several years they don't seem to care about giving any extended effort in the production of their shows anymore since they are synonymous with the current moe craze and anything they do that contains it will fly off the shelves of stores across Japan out of fan loyalty.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-04-07 at 00:00.
Old 2010-04-06, 23:43   Link #60
Master Chibi

Holy shit bro, it's a show about four random teen age girls eating cake and playing music.

Tone down the theatrics, even I know better then to expect anything more then pillow stuffing out of this show.

Closed Thread