AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 91 41.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-28, 08:53   Link #261
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
It's very weird... I totally spoiled myself with games and other... uh... stupid stuff... and even if I didn't play much with dolls and other normal stuff... I still managed to maintain my sensible side ... but the Mikuru torture doesn't even phase me, it's not funny either, but it's kind of... uh normal... I think I know why, but I'll never tell
Heh. I was laughing and crying at the same time during that scene in ep3. Haha J/k, I wasn't really crying. But you get the idea. More like humorously appalled. I like Mikuru.

Old 2006-04-28, 09:06   Link #262
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I connected with Kyon more than any other character. He speaks out exactly how I felt as an audience which... gave such depth for me as a viewer. His window into the madness of it all justs leaves me wanting more... whether it be hearing him fuss over Haruhi's self-centered rants or his sigh of defeat over the ludacrous reality he faces.

How about everyone else?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-28, 09:07   Link #263
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I like Mikuru too :D...

She's my 3rd favorite character (and the only character ever that I've chosen for cuteness ) ... side by side with Kyon ... don't take this the wrong way... I just can't place some characters less then 3rd ... only 3 places and too many favorites ...

Hm... maybe it's time for a favorite character thread... since most of the characters have been shown ^^... thanks to KyoAni unique methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
I connected with Kyon more than any other character. He speaks out exactly how I felt as an audience which... gave such depth for me as a viewer. His window into the madness of it all justs leaves me wanting more... whether it be hearing him fuss over Haruhi's self-centered rants or his sigh of defeat over the ludacrous reality he faces.

How about everyone else?
Well... not as deep as you described it... but the feeling is there...

Now that I think about it... the only thing special about Kyons commentaries is that he's the only one that has any... and yet I still find them special... must be because the story is presented from just one perspective (Kyons)... IMO it's very simple and very clean... and the right way to go... hope they keep it up ^^

Last edited by felix; 2006-04-28 at 09:30.
Old 2006-04-28, 09:13   Link #264
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
Whoever it is that has to catch the ball beside the umpire (sorry, not familiar with baseball, we don't have baseball), will die a horrible death. If he/she happens to survive through the game, well, he/she would have his/her hands scarred for life....
That player is called the "catcher." It is an important and difficult position, and catchers often get hurt. The special equipment they wear is nicknamed "the tools of ignorance."

I can't say who my favorite character is, but note the avatar and sig: Gotou Yuuko is Mikuru's voice, and doesn't she do a great job? (hic-squeak) For those who don't know, she's also Kaede in Shuffle and Nanami in Lamune. Check out her home page (click the link from her name to find it). She draws well, and illustrated the home page herself. She has a good diary there. Latest news: she has a new column in Seiyuu Grand Prix (「声優グランプリ」) magazine, part text and part illustrations. Chihara Minori (Yuki) is also featured in the most recent issue of Seiyuu Grand Prix. Gotou-san says that Minori's pyjamas there are very moe....

The seiyuus in this show are really the intellectual cream of the crop. Minori's diary has been published in book form. And Hirano Aya (Haruhi) is not only a university student, but also a classically-trained singer (she sang Ave Maria in Canvas2). And she's only 18.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-28 at 10:22.
Old 2006-04-28, 10:24   Link #265
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
only 3 places and too many favorites ...
Trust me. I know exactly how that feels.. Haha. Don't have a favourite character from tMoHS. Yet. But doubt I'll choose one. This just isn't a series to take seriously imo = meaning, I wont ponder too much over choosing a favourite char. I like all of them so far.

Quote:

How about everyone else?
I wholly agree. His narrative is what keeps the show going. (literally, too! )

Actually why I think he's so special to the audience is pretty much because out of all the madcap+moe characters, he is the normal one, the "real" one that we can identify with. In fact, and like you implied, I think that the watcher is pretty much reflected in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
The seiyuus in this show are really the intellectual cream of the crop. Minori's diary has been published in book form. And Hirano Aya (Haruhi) is not only a university student, but also a classically-trained singer. And she's only 18.
Drool...
Old 2006-04-28, 11:24   Link #266
mr.muffin

Quote:

How about everyone else?
I like Kyon but didn't really connect with his character that much. He's just a normal guy, thus not very fascinating to me. But his narratives are good and funny at times cos they provide such a contrast with the crazy stuff happening around him. Like him best when he tries to protect Mikuru. Shows he's a gentleman, unless she's in a bunny suit that is...

So far I'm leaning towards Haruhi as my fav character. I just like how lively and active she is. If she didn't do all those crazy stuff the SOS-Dan would be a boring place. Itsuki and Kyon playing board games, Mikuru cosplaying and making tea and Yuki sitting in a corner reading... There's not a dull moment to be found when she's around. I like her fearless, gung-ho attitude. If she's got something to say she's gonna say it. No beating round the bush. Not to mention she's cute too. ^^
On the downside, I don't really like how she bullies Mikuru tho... sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or to get angry when she starts her bullying.
Old 2006-04-28, 11:45   Link #267
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
I like Kyon but didn't really connect with his character that much. He's just a normal guy, thus not very fascinating to me.
Precisely the reason why Kyon's narrative/monologue works so well. Gave this episode an 8 just because there wasn't enough of his monologues.
Old 2006-04-28, 11:48   Link #268
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
...Drool...
Hirano Aya's picture from the seiyuus thread.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-28, 11:51   Link #269
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku
This is probably a marketing ploy. Buy the DVDs to see them in order or something. Episodes 2 and 3 were in order I think. Ep 00 (or 1 i think) and Ep4 were out of order.
If it annoys you that much, you could just record the shows and watch them in the correct order. ^^

It's been mentioned that the stories from the novels this show is based upon didn't tell the story in proper order, so it's not suprising at all that the show uses similar license.

Besides, the outpouring of fan support (from both novel readers and casual fans) has been pretty damn insane, so it's apparent they're doing something right. And honestly, I don't really see why people are considering this such a "filler" episode.

We have the introduction of not one but two new characters. Sure we met them in the ep00 show, but this is the first time we really meet them "Out of character". Both Tsuruya-san and Kyon's sister. Kyon's sister had a walk on role in ep2, but we had never heard of Tsuruya-san. We know they're not throw away filler characters as they're in both the OP and ED. Besides... both are pretty damn enjoyable characters. And Tsuruya-san pulls off the energetic genki-girl really damn well ^^

We realize for the first time (in our episode order) that Haruhi (who apparently isn't human from the cliffhanger end of the last ep) has the ability to wreck large scale havoc... and doesn't seem to realize it at all.

We get to see all the members of the SOS-dan working together (for the first time in our order) to ease Haruhi's boredom so the world doesn't end.

More Mikuru moe'ness and some fun fanservicey scenes.

The implications that a bored Haruhi is a really bad thing, which implies that the SOS-dan members are going to need to work harder on keeping her happy.

Another scene (the first for our chronoligcal order) that implies that Yuki really is a witch.

The first scene in our chronoligcal order that shows that all three SOS-dan members are there to offset Haruhi's ... whatever it is she has. and the pretty obvious implications that all three are from different orginaztions.

For a "pointless filler episode that would be pretty lame in the proper order", this episode covers some pretty big points ^^
Old 2006-04-28, 11:58   Link #270
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know if 'witch' is the right word for Yuki unless you're in the "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" camp. I'd call Yuki someone or something who has a small talent along the lines of Haruhi ... able to manipulate reality. With the proper chant, she can adjust the attributes of particular objects or areas. If you consider the universe to be a quantum processing information field (something like some physicists actually think) and know how to "instruct" the variable records within that field --- you can pull "Neo"-ish actions on what most people call "reality".
Old 2006-04-28, 12:19   Link #271
Adigard

Sorry Vexx, I didn't mean literally a witch ^^

From the bits of the novel I've read, and the spoiler's I've seen that's not really an accurate statement, but she was shown as a witch in ep00 and I'm enjoying the "incantation" scene from ep7 (The background music in that scene and the flasbhack scene has me hoping for a fast release of the OST as well). ^^

I'm sorta a member of the "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" camp, but mostly just enjoying Yuki's character ^^ And using your "Neo" example isn't as much fun as imagining Yuki in her witch's hat from ep00.

Spoiler for Vexx's post:
Old 2006-04-28, 18:40   Link #272
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

WOW its so wierd. i was so lost by watching episode 4. In my opinion just jumping around like that will make it less fun. Any advice on how i can watch it in orderly manner ^^?. i dont like not undrestanding what going on.

P.S. the episode was hillarious , despise the fact that it was so confusing.
Old 2006-04-28, 18:52   Link #273
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
The only way you'll be able to watch it in order is if you wait for all of them to come out first
Old 2006-04-28, 18:54   Link #274
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

i wonder whats the point of them having episods shown like this ^_^. I read somewhere earlier that novel is like that too. But why?.
Old 2006-04-28, 19:26   Link #275
Adigard

I do believe reading the rest of the thread might answer that ^^

IMO? Because it makes you think and fill in the gaps for yourself, causing you to become more vested in the show. It's not like we won't find out what was skipped, the show is going back to ep3 after this, so we'll likely pick up after the cliffhanger of the last episode.
Old 2006-04-28, 19:50   Link #276
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
I do believe reading the rest of the thread might answer that ^^

IMO? Because it makes you think and fill in the gaps for yourself, causing you to become more vested in the show. It's not like we won't find out what was skipped, the show is going back to ep3 after this, so we'll likely pick up after the cliffhanger of the last episode.
THAT, and Haruhi being Super Director ... and we all know she doesn't like to follow the norm/be sensible XD
Old 2006-04-28, 21:37   Link #277
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Normal = boring
Old 2006-04-29, 02:52   Link #278
Cal-Reflector

Question: For non Haruhism followers; must we read the novel in order to get the full effect of the anime?
Old 2006-04-29, 03:03   Link #279
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Question: For non Haruhism followers; must we read the novel in order to get the full effect of the anime?
I know I'm not exactly a non Haruhiist but I've never read the novels and I'm enjoying this anime immensely.

Note: it may be a bit hard to find a non Haruhiist in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
My thoughts exactly. I think it's good that KyoAni are not spoon feeding us, it's good to think once in a while. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX
THAT, and Haruhi being Super Director ... and we all know she doesn't like to follow the norm/be sensible XD
Placing Haruhi as super director IMHO is a great way to explain the jumbling of the episodes. Just fits her character so well.
Old 2006-04-29, 03:11   Link #280
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Ok comming from a Haruist (I know it's not exactly the same thing), it's definately not necessary to read the novels to maximize the experience. You simply get a different feeling after reading the novels. Personally I enjoyed the energized feeling after watching an episode rather than the anxious anticipation feeling after reading some parts of the novel.
Closed Thread