AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-30, 00:15   Link #81
Morgri

I believe it takes about four episodes before it gets any good. However, go watch Erementar Gerad =]. Tis good anime -- DON'T belief the blogs! XD
Old 2006-04-14, 17:12   Link #82
spike2068

i'l give ten since i can't pick just 5: 1.cowboy bebop(greatest of all time, music espeacialy) 2. trigun
3. full metal alchemist
4. last exile
5. inuyasha
6. gungrave
7. neon genisis
8. love hina
9. naruto
10. flcl
not all these (except for bebop and trigun) are in order
Old 2006-04-14, 17:56   Link #83
Endoh

1. Yakitate!! Japan
2. One Piece
3. DB GT
4. Ranma ½
5. Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Old 2006-04-14, 19:42   Link #84
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

akazukin cha cha
dash kappei
jungle guu
slayers
kodocha

well it might change, found some really good new ones.
Old 2006-04-15, 02:05   Link #85
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
This is really hard, as my anime-viewing has been going on for over ten years now...

1. Black Jack - This is currently my favorite title, which is really not fair, since I just started watching it, it is fresh to me and I am still suffering from the newness of it. Although it really isn't new...this story is written by the famous father of manga/anime Tezuka Osamu, so you should definitely give this one serious consideration! The TV series is available for fansub.

2. Maison Ikkoku - This is not only Takahashi Rumiko at her best (known for Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha and Urusei Yatsura), this is anime at its best. A feel-good, not-too-angsty love story between a beautiful but normal widow and a sympathetic loser of a college student, Maison Ikkoku does everything right.

3. Princess Tutu - Don't let the cute character designs fool you. This demented fairy tale f***s with your brain. The characters are all deep and tragic somehow, yet they fight with all they have to defy their fate. Plus, with classical music as a backdrop, how can you go wrong?!

4. Honey and Clover - A beautiful slice-of-life josei anime about art students. Art students--all zany enough in some way to make things both hilarious, deeply moving, and captivating throughout all the episodes. It was a huge hit--enough to spur a live-action movie and a sequel series coming this summer.

5. Detective Conan - A long-running series celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. Highschool superstar detective Kudo Shin'ichi is poisoned when he saw the wrong crime at the wrong time--but instead of dying, is changed into a 10-year-old version of himself! Now taking on the identity of Edogawa Conan, Shin'ichi is living with his would-be girlfriend and her lower-than-average detective father in an attempt to uncover the organization that tried to kill him...but it turns out he is getting himself into a deeper conspiracy than he originally expected.

6. Petite Princess Yucie - (taken from my review over at THEMAnime) Seventeen-year-old Yucie can never be taken seriously. How can she, when she's been cursed to be trapped in a ten-year-old's body? Bright, cheerful and optimistic, Yucie has never let her curse get in the way of living a happy life with her doting adopted father (a retired knight). However, Yucie's life is about to change forever when she becomes a candidate to become the Platina Princess, an honor which will allow her ultimate wish to be granted - and she can wish her curse away! Everything's turning up roses until she finds out that she is one of many candidates, and the competition is intense!

7. Fushigi Yuugi - An oldie but goodie, this is about schoolmates Yuuki Miaka and Hongo Yui--best friends until one fateful day they are sucked into an ancient Chinese book of folklore, and their lives are changed forever. Fushigi Yuugi boasts one of the most colorful and entertaining casts of characters ever, and is certain to tug at your heartstrings and thrill you with the conspiracy and action.

8. Please Save My Earth - Even though the animation is based on a lengthy manga--the first nine volumes are crammed into 6 episodes--it is adapted beautifully and told quite well. Probably one of the most beautiful and compelling anime titles in my history in the fandom...it was this title that made me look beyond the realms of Sailormoon and search for something "greater" in anime.

9. Marmalade Boy - The end-all be-all of shoujo anime--this is romance and love stories done right. Keeping track of all the characters is easy and nearly every character is believable and likeable. You just want all of them to be happy!

10. **tie** Ranma 1/2 and Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki - Two of my earliest anime titles, still two of my favorites for totally different reasons. A colorful cast, fun plotlines, and nostalgia all contribute to my listing these two. Great comedies that you can't go wrong with...
Old 2006-04-16, 23:57   Link #86
Soujiro10

1) Hajime No Ippo - words cant say how much enjoyement i got out of this series. Awesome characterization, comedy that actually made me laugh, and action that had me out of my seat and yelling out of the sheer joy of it all. I've seen a lot of action anime over the years and nothing has ever got me pumped as much as this series did (or had such enjoyable characters). Too bad a lot of people get discouraged from its focus on boxing but to anybody that hasnt seen this gem I recommend giving it a try even if you're not a sport/boxing anime fan.

2) Rurouni Kenshin (up to the Kyoto arc) - what can i say? This series was a classic to me. Too bad they had to ruin the series after Shishio =/

3) Full Moon wa Sagashite - ok so it seemed like a "kiddy" anime when i first checked it out. However, the characters, drama, twists, and music eventually got to me and made it a memorable experience.

4) Ranma 1/2 - this is the anime that got me started on watching anime in the first place. So while it wasn't exactly perfect, it will always have a place in my heart since it was so fun watching it way back then.

5) Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Hachimitsu to Clover, Fushigi Yuugi - Each and everyone of these are special in their own way so I basically cant choose between them for #5

Honorable Mentions:
kimi ga nozomu Eien - most suffocating anime. period.
Bleach/Naruto/One Piece (NON-FILLER EPISODES!!!!) - mindless fun
Mai Hime
Gundam Seed
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! - funny stuff
Trigun
Escaflowne
Fate Stay Night
Eureka 7

Last edited by Soujiro10; 2006-04-17 at 00:14.
Old 2006-04-17, 04:43   Link #87
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Oh boy, this will be difficult. I could easily name ten or fifteen shows on a top 5 list, with three on each place, so I'm just going to name four shows, because I would fry my brain otherwise if I tried to nominate more .

1) Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Emotional, dark and horrible, yet manages to be quirky and silly at times, and with some real WTF-moments, especially the super weapon. Still, it's one of my favourites and the only real contender here is Turn A Gundam, but I won't comment on it since I have several episodes to go until I'm finished, but so far it does look like it can take Victory's place.

2) Neon Genesis Evangelion

Does this show really need an introduction? Nice fight scenes, intriguing plot and excellent characterisation makes NGE a show worthy of high praise.

3) Great Teacher Onizuka

I don't know what's with GTO that makes me like it so much, but it's pretty much solid all the way through. The only negative thing is that it's so short compared to the manga, but still a great watch.

4) Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit

Soujiro10's pretty much spot on with his description, but I'll add some myself - it's a shounen action anime which doesn't feel like one. The fights are drawn out, but it's not noticeable due to the excellent pacing of the show. Once again, the only real negative thing about it is that it's short compared to the manga, which has been going on for some 15 years now I think.
Old 2006-04-17, 12:34   Link #88
Soka-chan

1)Yami no Matsuei(incredibly good character-design and very good animation; good plot, enough angst and fun and tender moments between bloody action ones; good colors, script and seiyuus. The only problem is the music, which is not spectacular)

2)Loveless(very innovative, good character-design, good animation-though sometimes confusing.Seiyuus are good and the music is beautiful.The only problem is that it's very slow and doesn't balance fun and angst that well)

3)Gensoumaden Saiyuki second season(Homura arc)Looooooooooove it!!!Ahem....good character-design, good animation(the best of the series), fantastic music and fight scenes, very good portray of angst and fun...I love Goku^^ Problem? A horribly rushed and unsatisfying end

4)Paradise Kiss(veeery good character-design, incredibly well-done animation, good music, very innovative as well, good plot...seiyuus aren't that great, though, and if you find yourself liking it, stop before the end and go read the manga)

5)Full metal Alchemist(this low rated only because I haven't finished it...amazing music, animation, plot....the drawings are not up to the plot, though)
Old 2006-04-17, 19:12   Link #89
obviosotyoracle

1.) Monster
2.) Twelve Kingdoms
3.) Maison Ikkoku
4.) PlanetES
5.) Kurau: Phantom Memory
Old 2006-05-02, 22:16   Link #90
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I am going to totally chicken out and go with my top five favorite post-2000 series, because I know what those are, but it'd take me forever to come up with a list that incorportated pre-2000 stuff. And of course, these are my favorite *series,* not just *anime* (thus justifying the list not getting dominated by Ghibli)...

1. Monster - This may very well be my favorite anime overall. It's definitely a contender, at least. Anyway, Monster is 74 episodes of perfection, and one of the best stories I have seen/read/experienced in any medium. Urasawa Naoki is incredible.

2. Eureka Seven - Even though I've only seen 26 out of 50 episodes. Character interaction and development is out of the wazoo, and the story is incredible too. The beautiful setting, the creative mecha, the good music, all that only adds to the glorious brilliance!

3. Honey and Clover - Life and love as seen through the eyes of a group of college kids. I could relate to this series on soooo many levels...

4. Samurai Champloo - A wonderful main trio, and lots of good times.

5. Fullmetal Alchemist - This series was higher on my list before BONES threw Eureka at me ^^ FMA is still a great, though. Great characters and a really intense plot that kept me on the edge of my seat more often than not.

Aaaand, because I can't resist,

6. Fantastic Children - Lost some of its drive in the last arc, but overall is an excellent piece of work with some craaaazy storyteeling.
Old 2006-05-04, 07:09   Link #91
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Top 5. Let's see...

Fullmetal Alchemist
Unpredictable. This is truly a classic filled with Shakespearean themes and mind-boggling moments.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Revolutionary. This disturbing piece made me depressed for some time. Shinji's scream is forever etched in my mind.

Last Exile
Atmospheric. The mystery, the madness, the awesome chemistry between characters made this series highly memorable.

Juuni Kokki
Intelligent. Rich in art and history, Juuni Kokki remains the only series that had me marathoning 7 hours straight.

Hikaru no Go
Addictive. A dramatic show with superb character development. This deserves a special mention because it's one of the earliest gold I discovered.

Monster, Honey & Clover as well as Eureka 7 are my top favorites too, but I need more time to bond emotionally with them. ^^;
Old 2006-05-04, 07:30   Link #92
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Great Teacher Onizuka
4. Outlaw Star
5. Hamtaro
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
7. Tenchi in Tokyo
8. Tenchi Muyo!
9. Onikirimaru
10. The Candidate for Goddess

...What? Hamtaro rules!
Old 2006-05-04, 07:31   Link #93
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

1. Shingetsutan Tsukihime

This has been my favorite anime for quite some time and will be my favorite for some more. With piercing psychological insight, nuances of what it is to discover love and to feel - simply to feel, and the destruction of vampiric stereotypes, this is anime at its finest. I forgot to mention this flows like William Faulkner's greatest works: the fragmentation of the plot and the story to be assembled like an awesome jigsaw-puzzle may seem stuttered and jerky at first; but once you've gotten through that phase of thinking that it's difficult or boring, and when you've worked your way through the anime a couple of times (just like Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury), you'll more or less (if steeped in more or less the same opinion as I am) find that it is great, and it is great beyond normalcy. This is simply a masterpiece, and although many argue it is both apocryphal and drastically incomplete at twelve episodes, how much more of a masterpiece will it be at twenty-four, completed?

2. Rozen Maiden

Sure, it's an anime about dolls. And even if I'm a guy I watched it. That must mean I am gay!

This has been what some people think of me after watching Rozen Maiden. And I don't blame them, because I once had the predisposition not to watch a fag's show, IMO.

How wrong I was. How utterly wrong I was.

This isn't about cutesy dolls becoming your normal harem stuff; it's basically an investigation and a social commentary of Japan's increasing problems with people withdrawing from society: these people are known as hikikomori. The protagonist is one, and as the anime progresses I saw a very wonderful character change in almost all of the characters, even the dolls.

Although I couldn't say it's as great as Tsukihime, I could say this ranks among my top five list pretty close to it.

I'm going to add others of mine for later, but for now, I trust that this is enough.
Old 2006-05-04, 08:03   Link #94
Lost

Wonderful. Been wanting a thread like this. Thanks physics for the heads up. Anyhow, I haven been watching Anime for long, but here are my current top five, ranked in descending (best --> very very good) order:

Top Five:

(1)PlanetES
I haven even completed watching the series, and its already my TOP anime. A Testament to its Divinity. ~~ Finally finished it. Even more reasons why it sould be at the top. To sum it up, this is a REAL series. Real as in realistic. Not one where bad or good is easily defined; its a grey anime, as one of my friends put it. Where good and bad is acknowledged as being intertwined, and even expressed in the same character. WATCH IT.

(2)Mai HiME
Its in this spot for being the Anime that most changed my life. And I mean Literally changed.

(3)Rozen Maiden and (4)Rozen Maiden: Traumend
One of the few series that made me laugh out loud at one turn and cry like a baby at another (Yes, I'm a boy. No, I'm not a sissy. Come and try me if you want ). Also, the only Anime I've watched with a sequel that matches its predecessor step for freaking step. If not better.

(5)Mushishi
Few anime leave me wanting more each time like Mushishi does. For an Anime that emphasizes the Continuation of Life in midst of Tragedy, it deserves this spot. Gets pretty emotional too. (You can see I love Emo)

Sorry, I'm so exhausted I don't feel like writing a longer description for each of the entries. I might develop more on them another day tho.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-05-11 at 10:17.
Old 2006-05-04, 09:02   Link #95
Zeni

In no particular order...

1. Elfen Lied
2. Azumanga Daioh
3. Kaleido Star
4. Bleach
5. Ichigo Mashimaro

I have more but...;_;
Old 2006-05-04, 12:05   Link #96
El_Capitano

1) Haibane Renmei
2) Gundam Seed
3) Noir
4) Saikano
5) School rumble and Martian Successor Nadesico

I wish i could still buy the legal complete collection of Nadesico. But for one reason or another I can't find it anywhere
Old 2006-05-04, 20:18   Link #97
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitano
I wish i could still buy the legal complete collection of Nadesico. But for one reason or another I can't find it anywhere
The r1 box set is out of print. It seems the "essential anime" version is as well. It's not even available on adv's site... You could try ebay. It looks like some people are selling the legit release.

Also, there was a recent r2 box set, which is easier to get, though naturally more expensive and probably doesn't have subs.
Old 2006-05-05, 14:59   Link #98
Sinanju
Koroshiya

1. Prince of Tennis - Best Sport anime ever made.
2. Bleach - Everyone should know this, masterpiece by Tite Kubo.
3. Kenshin - Abit to carebear-ish imo but still a very nice anime.
4. Major - Another imba sport anime, just gets better and better!
5. One Piece - Best pirate-anime(is there more? ), remove Usopp tho in my opinion
6. Hungry Heart Wild Striker - Good sport anime, disappointing so many times tho
7. Naruto - I like everyone in the anime except Naruto himself. KAGE BUSHIN NO JUTSU *Sigh*
8. Eyeshield 21 - Sport anime, american football. It's very nice and very funny xD
9. Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) - So funny!
10. Hellsing - Vampire-anime, tho it's not japanese-made it's very good. (japanese dub)
Old 2006-05-06, 14:06   Link #99
Soka-chan

Okay.finished FMA, everything has changed.Man, what an awesome series!!!Definitely number one.

1)Full metal Alchemist(incredibly good plot, complex characters with a real-life feeling to them; very audlt themes, often seen in adult classics of literature; mythical and scientific, all in one; I still think the drawings are not up to the series, but they're good, and the design is very different: each character is different physically from the others, which is no mean feat in anime; Ed is the most interesting, thoughest and charismatic main character I've ever encountered; very good fights and the music is amazing, with my fav anime song ever-first ED-and one of my favs, Brothers; huge range of emotions, from hilarity to deep hurt)

2)Yami no Matsuei(incredibly good character-design and very good animation; good plot, enough angst and fun and tender moments between bloody action ones; good colors, script and seiyuus. The only problem is the music, which is not spectacular)

3)Loveless(very innovative, good character-design, good animation-though sometimes confusing.Seiyuus are good and the music is beautiful.The only problem is that it's very slow and doesn't balance fun and angst that well)

4)Gensoumaden Saiyuki second season(Homura arc)Looooooooooove it!!!Ahem....good character-design, good animation(the best of the series), fantastic music and fight scenes, very good portray of angst and fun...I love Goku^^ Problem? A horribly rushed and unsatisfying end

5)Paradise Kiss(veeery good character-design, incredibly well-done animation, good music, very innovative as well, good plot...seiyuus aren't that great, though, and if you find yourself liking it, stop before the end and go read the manga)
Old 2006-05-07, 07:16   Link #100
El_Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
The r1 box set is out of print. It seems the "essential anime" version is as well. It's not even available on adv's site... You could try ebay. It looks like some people are selling the legit release.

Also, there was a recent r2 box set, which is easier to get, though naturally more expensive and probably doesn't have subs.
The Japanese box is out of the question since I'm still in the early stage of learning Japanese. I'm hoping on a re-release of the boxset or a full R2(Europe) release of the series. For now, we have to settle for an overprized DVD of Prince of Darkness

Ebay/amazon is also an option, but there are many bootlegs in the sea They are easy to recognise though. Never trust a brand-new box set with only 3 dvds and chinese/english subs
Closed Thread