AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-12, 01:56   Link #361
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'd consider switching my avatar to her if she wasn't already "the avatar of the year" here and over in another forum I loiter about in.
That's why you put on your creativity cap and make your avatar stand out, even if it's from the same series.

For me, I got hooked because it dared to have a unique pilot episode. The following episode was excellent as well. It's funny, the music complements the scenes very well and great animation to boot. Thus, I'm sold.

Btw, I find it odd how Haruhi warms up to Kyon so quickly and turns hyper active from her ice queen image. But it's probably something that non-novel readers don't know yet and revealed later on.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 02:09   Link #362
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I can't explain how or why, but now I realize why I love this series so much after 2 eps-- because it reminds me of "Excel Saga." No, I can't explain exactly why, just that it does. And I mean the manga version of Excel, not the anime version. (Mostly because I never watched the anime.)

I suppose it has something to do with the random insanity and over-the-top enthusiasm of Haruhi. And perhaps it's because Mikuru reminds me a bit of a cross between Hyatt and Mince.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 02:21   Link #363
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Spoiler for More recruitment banners:

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 03:47   Link #364
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Uwa, this thread is getting dangerous for me. I have to hold back or I'll accidently hyper-spoil everything. 原作既読派の居場所がどんどんなくなってるね... チョットションボリ(・ω・‘ )

Quote:
My number one reason is the combo act of stoic dry-witted Kyon and the energetic chaos of Suzumiya. Even if they become an item down the road, that complementary energy needs to be maintained.
Unless things go horribly wrong with the anime, I think that won't be a problem. ^^;

Although it seems like a lot of people think this is a 100% comedy show, it's not, there ARE some serious moments (the OP animation already contains a few hints), and incredibly confusing ones too (Yuki's self-introduction comes to mind) (although Kyon's tsukkomis are relentless even during these moments). Kyoani has already impressed me deeply with these 2 comedy episodes, now if only they can handle the more dramatic scenes with the same flair and taste as the novel, then they'll get their ¥48,800 from me for the full DVD set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
For what it's worth, you can sign up for the SOS-dan over at the offical site. It's really supposed to be a newletter service, although I haven't received anything ever since I signed up back when the site first opened.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 05:01   Link #365
Kyousuke

Do you have your avatar with normal borders [Woland]?
Kyousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 05:46   Link #366
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Kyoani has already impressed me deeply with these 2 comedy episodes, now if only they can handle the more dramatic scenes with the same flair and taste as the novel, then they'll get their ¥48,800 from me for the full DVD set.
Or you could take advantage of Amazon JP's 22% pre-order discount, and get the set for ¥38,048 (which is what I've just done, on the grounds that it's easier to cancel a pre-order if the series turns to poo than to find the LEs after they've sold out).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Amazon, although with the amount of money I give them maybe I should
Old 2006-04-12, 06:02   Link #367
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Or you could take advantage of Amazon JP's 22% pre-order discount, and get the set for ¥38,048 (which is what I've just done, on the grounds that it's easier to cancel a pre-order if the series turns to poo than to find the LEs after they've sold out).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Amazon, although with the amount of money I give them maybe I should
Ahh, that's right, thank you for mentioning it.

For those of us who don't live in Japan, Amazon's discounts on DVDs are the only saving grace. ^^;

Although it's funny to see them list all the DVD volumes as "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - Asahina Mikuru no Bouken". (that would really be something) ^^;
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:09   Link #368
Doppelganger
Lazy Undergraduate

Send a message via ICQ to Doppelganger Send a message via AIM to Doppelganger
Quote:
Kyon did something no one else had done. She didn't feel like he was judging her or her values ... he just listened. Thats what got her latched onto him, in my opinion.
I am working off my own impression of the thing, but I don't think she really cares what other people think of her values. But she might be interested in the fact that Kyon was not mentally complacent enough to ignore her hair-tying patterns, including both color and cardinality. That and being frank probably made him a relatively unique character, even to her...and since she seems bent on collecting people who make her world less boring, well...
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:24   Link #369
Kyousuke

Kyousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:36   Link #370
yamikage

I understand that this was planned to only have 14 eps since the production costs for this anime is very expensive. If this anime doesn't jump the shark, I expect that many of us would be begging for another one. So if all goes well, can we expect another season of this?
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:59   Link #371
Zappster

Since someone posted that they think the anime will probably finish at volume 4(I think it's been a few days since I read it but it's somewhere in this thread) of the novels there should be enough material left for another season if they do finish at volume 4 with the final episode of this show. It seems to be getting a good vibe from loads of places, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the DVD sales and TV ratings for it are.

Actually that's another point does anyone know the ratings it's gotten from the first two episodes? Has it been relatively successful?
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:00   Link #372
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
I understand that this was planned to only have 14 eps since the production costs for this anime is very expensive. If this anime doesn't jump the shark, I expect that many of us would be begging for another one. So if all goes well, can we expect another season of this?
That depends.

Ideally, if the 14 episodes ends in a manner that doesn't detract from the novel, in the same way FMP TSR ended, then it can have sequels in the form of "books", just like FMP.

I am saying this, because Full Metal Panic from Fomoffu onwards is also a Kyoto Animation work, and that's the format they adopted.

In both stories, the books are unfinished. By pacing each short "segment" on each book, there is no need to fake a conclusion that would force a non-canon ending. Quality can be maintained by selling the anime in parts, and not make the next segment until A)They made the money back from the previous one, B) The crew had taken their holiday breaks, and therefore not get battle fatigue, and C)There is no need to make new series until the novel author has made more material, and as such need no fillers what so ever.

So it would depend on how it ends in 14 episodes... if it's exactly like the book, we can likely count on a sequel in an indeterminate future.
Old 2006-04-12, 08:23   Link #373
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

This series just gets better and better ... this is the only series so far that impresed me more then I could imagine

Quote:
Those would look grate like sigs... I guess some croping would be in order...

Quote:

How does that work...you order them and when they come out you recieve them ... don't tell me all the ep have already been made and you can order them
Old 2006-04-12, 08:33   Link #374
wao
OK.

I was worried I might lose interest in this show after the hilarious first episode, but unlike some I think I've managed to maintain it - and HUGE props to Kyon's narration! God I love the guy. He's hilarious! And he constantly acts as a reminder that this is, seriously speaking, quite ridiculous I love how his kind of deadpan personality complements Haruhi's exuberance.

But another huge draw as to why I am actually liking this show is probably because of the great directing - look at the camera angles, the pace, the mood, the important details that maintain continuity and *gasp* some sense of convincing reality (e.g. Kyon moving his head as he looks out of the window while Haruhi's moving, the camera work when people are moving or even feelings of really looking from the ground up for what would normally be still pans) Whoda thunk, convincing reality in a moe show that is not Kamichu!?

First Ouran High School and then this... both shows that I normally would hate - is there some magical power to the name "Haruhi"? Or maybe we'll just leave it as "l33t directing".

Cool, I actually kind of want to watch the next episode... I suppose Itsuki'll appear sooner or later...
Old 2006-04-12, 08:36   Link #375
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
Quote:
I still don't believe it has happened to me but when I look at the scribbles on my class notes I can safely say it has....

Spoiler for You know you have watched too much Suzumiya Haruhi when...:
try drawing 憂鬱 
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:38   Link #376
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Uwa, this thread is getting dangerous for me. I have to hold back or I'll accidently hyper-spoil everything. 原作既読派の居場所がどんどんなくなってるね... チョットションボリ(・ω・‘ )
Gaman gaman
Quote:
For what it's worth, you can sign up for the SOS-dan over at the offical site. It's really supposed to be a newletter service, although I haven't received anything ever since I signed up back when the site first opened.
Actually I've already done that And nop, received nothing too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Those would look grate like sigs... I guess some croping would be in order...
I assume grate=great? They were made with the maximum 160 pixel sig height limit in mind actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfurrball
try drawing 憂鬱 
Not that I haven't already tried to But I gave up Yuu-utsu is too much even for someone studying the language...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 09:28   Link #377
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger
I am working off my own impression of the thing, but I don't think she really cares what other people think of her values. But she might be interested in the fact that Kyon was not mentally complacent enough to ignore her hair-tying patterns, including both color and cardinality. That and being frank probably made him a relatively unique character, even to her...and since she seems bent on collecting people who make her world less boring, well...
I never thought of it that way. I was under the impression it had more to do with Kyon guessing her reasoning behind the hairstyles. It seems everyone thought of Haruhi as just some weird girl, while Kyon seemed to be trying to understand her. Your impression makes sense too though. Perhaps it's some combination?
Old 2006-04-12, 09:30   Link #378
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I was worried I might lose interest in this show after the hilarious first episode, but unlike some I think I've managed to maintain it - and HUGE props to Kyon's narration! God I love the guy. He's hilarious! And he constantly acts as a reminder that this is, seriously speaking, quite ridiculous I love how his kind of deadpan personality complements Haruhi's exuberance.
Absolutely why I thought episode one was better than episode two. One of those instances of monologues when I was literally rolling because of how the tone of the voice was maintained:

"This appears to be Itsuki's home. What I really want to know is.. why Mikuru is being carried in that suggestive state of dress. Perhaps while Mikuru was unconcious Itsuki gave Mikuru a bath!? Yes! That has to be it. If that's the case, every one of us would feel our doubt transform into rage and then, to murderous intent.. but for now, let us suppress those boiling feelings" -- translated by A.F.K

Quote:
But another huge draw as to why I am actually liking this show is probably because of the great directing - look at the camera angles, the pace, the mood, the important details that maintain continuity and *gasp* some sense of convincing reality (e.g. Kyon moving his head as he looks out of the window while Haruhi's moving, the camera work when people are moving or even feelings of really looking from the ground up for what would normally be still pans) Whoda thunk, convincing reality in a moe show that is not Kamichu!?
Yes.. yes.. yes! Agreed. Not caring about animated motion defeats the purpose of watching animation. Crappy animation can bite out a big portion of that chunky enjoyment factor. I am a big fan of animated movement and could care less if the story isn't comparatively as good as the animation (Air - according to my humble opinion), but for this show, the story (rather, the dialogues ) is just as good as the awesome animation.

Arguably, this show is the best series of 2006 so far even though the conclusion might be a bit premature when the series is only two episodes long as of yet.

Melange: With your permission I'll be using one of your creation in my sig. Actually it's already there. Mikuru-chan with an AK-47 is hot!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 09:47   Link #379
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Kyon's tsukkomi is the soul of this great show. No one can object this.
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 09:49   Link #380
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Good second episode, Yuki & Kyon really are the stars of the show for me. <3

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen