AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2010-04-23, 09:22   Link #261
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Makes more sense, but still sounds disgusting.
Well, they kinda worked due to the transforming mecha parts. And it was easy to make it seem they were the same series due to the landscape of the planet too. i.e. lots of ruins.
Old 2010-06-17, 19:41   Link #262
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

ROBOTCH CHARACTER CLASH!!!

Vote for your favorite Robotech characters!

(And, erm, we all know that Macross is the best part of Robotech, right? Right. )

http://robotech-character-clash.blogspot.com/
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 08:01   Link #263
user112168
Disabled By Request

If they put all of Robotech Macross as it is, into a movie, it would uncover seriously deficient plot elements. I watched Robotech in the mid 80's after school. though i felt stragely betrayed around episode 37. Even then I found the protoculture references wierd. At first i thought i had it figured out But was dissapointed by how the plot developed. It turns out I clicked to the 'protoculture' thing. I was expecting them to go the MACROSS protoculture route, and thought the way the plot did go was really stupid (even at 12 years old).

Having it in half-hour chunks seriously hides the continuity and plot defects, but put them all together into 90 minutes... No wonder they're having trouble even coming up with a draft script.

For example, Minmei states that the restaraunt was open during the war. This war was prior to SDF-1 crashing according to Robotech, making Nyang-Nyang the universes most robust chinese restaraunt, as it first survied a near direct hit by the SDF-1 crash, got sucked up into space, and is still going strong 50 years later as a galaxy-wide chain.

Minmei is 15 at the start of the series, making her only 3-5 years old during the war, so she was sent to work at Nyang-Nyang as a toddler then?

Also Rick is 19-20 as of 2009, since the war ended in 1999 why did best friends Rick and Roy take 10 years to catch up? And in the flying circus flashbacks Rick sees, he would only be 6-7 years old at that time according to Robotech dates, what dad lets a 7 year old fly a vintage plane solo?

SDF-1 is "Zor's" Ship in Robotech. Zor is micronian, yet the ship was totally built for Zentraedi, according to the show. Presumably a mixed crew, yet it's never explained. Also, how come if they know about Zor and the Robotech Masters, they are baffled by the existence of Micronians on Earth? And the conversation where Exodo(r/l) explains the legends of the Zentraedi as having rebelled against their creators (which Robotech says are the Robotech Masters). How come they don't just come out and say "there still out there, they built the SDF-1 etc etc" and apparently the Robotech Masters are still ruling the Zentraedi somehow, though this is never explained either.

Robotech turns the Zentraedi into real dummies, too dumb to survive i guess.

The Robotech movie is going to be a hashed up version of a hashed up version of Macross Et Al. Also, they will be probably want to get a Robotech Mospeada movie to line up with Shadow Chronicles, so they are more constrained by the ending and will likely change the start of the series completely to that goal.

So, i think the Robotech movie will be as close to SDF Macross as Starship troopers is to Independence Day.

Last edited by user112168; 2010-07-27 at 08:12.
user112168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 02:42   Link #264
magnuskn

We can only hope, that would leave open the possibility of a REAL Macross movie somewhen in the future.
Old 2010-07-28, 07:37   Link #265
user112168
Disabled By Request

yup, my thoughts and deepest desires exactly.

Btw, i just watched the first 20 minutes of Shadow Chronicles, then watched ep 7 of Frontier. Hmmm.... how did Rick Hunter become like some lame duck president all of a sudden. He's completely useless according to this series. I mean they entrusted Earth's only supply of protoculture to only one ship captained by some useless guy who hasn't achieved anything for decades? didn't they learn anything from the Zentraedi and Robotech Masters about putting all your eggs in one basket? I guess in Robotech world they promoted the wrong 'Hunter' to admiral.
user112168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 02:37   Link #266
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

After seeing a lot of Robotech bashing in the SDF Macross discussion thread, I felt like I needed to comment on it, but I'll say it here in order to not derail the other thread.

First of all, I've never watched Robotech, and I don't plan to ever do so. I base my information from what fans here and elsewhere have said, so forgive me for any inaccuracies. I think that I owe a lot to Robotech for its large influence on the foreign anime fanbase, and I respect Carl Macek for bringing it to the USA. Some changes had to be made, and as a result 3 completely unrelated anime were mashed together to make one long series. This probably wasn't Macek's original intention, but instead a result of ridiculous TV network requirements. Still, with the exception of some plot points tweaked to transition to the Southern Cross part of the series, most of the original story of SDF Macross was preserved and not dumbed down too much. For that time, it was quite a noble effort on the part of Macek and Harmony Gold. Dubs of several anime made even a decade later weren't quite as faithful to the original plot as Robotech's Macross Saga was.

But Robotech is not a classic. It is more of a relic, a historical transition point in which helped start the marvelously large base of anime watchers we see today. What I can't respect is Harmony Gold's insistence on preventing an official R1 release of Macross 7, Zero, and Frontier in a sad attempt to drain what little there is left out of the aging Robotech fanbase. This is not what anime fans want anymore. A good deal of modern anime fans have never seen a bit of Robotech, and they go crazy over Ranka and Sheryl as they watch fansubs of Macross Frontier (which is the only way they can see it). Let Robotech die already. It was fair for its day, but it is obvious that SDF Macross and its successors make the superior franchise.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 02:56   Link #267
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Robotech was one of the first anime I watched knowing what anime actually was. Prior to Robotech, I just thought I was watching Saturday morning cartoons as a little kid. It may be a bastardized show, and Harmony Gold may be the worst company ever built, but for me to pretend Robotech isn't a classic and that it didn't have a huge influence on me would be a total lie, even if it has become the thing everyone loves to trash today.

I'll be honest. I enjoyed Robotech more than Macross, though I watched Macross second, so that is probably what drives the difference in my opinion between the two. Even at the age of six years, I had a mad crush on Lisa Hayes, and used to have the old Palladium Robotech RPG sourcebooks practically memorized (didn't actually play since I was too young and didn't know anyone who was interested among my 5-10 year old peers ).

Macross Frontier may be my favorite of the Robotech/Macross shows today (the movie more so than the tv series), but it was Robotech that introduced me to the world of anime (yea, yea, I know stick-up-their-heinies who insist Robotech isn't anime, and MAL refuses to list it). It's a very real possibility that I wouldn't have started my foray into anime until much later (or not at all) if it hadn't been for Robotech.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 05:49   Link #268
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

May'n's management company acquires 13.5% of Tatsunoko...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...udio-tatsunoko
Old 2013-02-22, 12:15   Link #269
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Don't know if good or bad.

Though it'd be totally ironic and downright funny if Satelight acquires Tatsunoko shares...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 09:07   Link #270
Nerroth
NePoi!

Looks like Harmony Gold are once again testing their interpretation of this connection, by going after Hasbro over this toy.

Ironically, Hasbro co-produces the Transformers franchise with TakaraTomy, who happen to be the current owners of Tatsunoko...
Old 2013-07-25, 10:33   Link #271
Tak

Its amazing that nobody is challenging their claim on... a lot of things.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2013-07-26, 02:53   Link #272
magnuskn

Wait, I thought Hasbro owns HG? Uh, seems I was wrong. ^^
Old 2013-07-26, 17:35   Link #273
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

This would be a great time for Hasbro to throttle them into oblivion, wouldn't you say?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 08:25   Link #274
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Stay classy HG.
Old 2015-04-30, 05:14   Link #275
magnuskn

Well, I guess the Robotech adaptation is once again in the talks. I am thoroughly disgusted that they would not rather adapt Macross.
Old 2015-05-04, 17:50   Link #276
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, I guess the Robotech adaptation is once again in the talks. I am thoroughly disgusted that they would not rather adapt Macross.
Well, it could potentially be lawsuit bait if released. That, given what have been done to Transformers, a Robotech adaptation would be something akin to a nightmare, to both potential audiences and the production team.

- - - - -

While HG can make a lawsuit potentially expensive for Satelight, HG just isn't as rich as some people make them out to be, and Satelight ain't just some punchbag. We'll see, besides, I am pretty sure Satelight does have more friends than HG.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2015-05-04 at 18:02.