AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-01-12, 18:32   Link #7561
zodanhko
*ignoring*

It looks like A-tan's morning habit hasn't change, and Nagi with her otaku status. I don't know whether it's a good or a bad thing now that Nagi has Chiharu for a partner. Although, thing isn't looking so good for Hayate, if he needs to sleep like a normal human being that is. Being able function normally with only 1 hr of sleep, I guess his mind is as durable as his body...Or maybe he would just go into his REM state immediately in the next chapter....

Although A-tan said she needs Hina's presence to restore her power, it will take awhile if they hardly being together for 5 days out of a week.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 19:01   Link #7562
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
It looks like A-tan's morning habit hasn't change, and Nagi with her otaku status. I don't know whether it's a good or a bad thing now that Nagi has Chiharu for a partner. Although, thing isn't looking so good for Hayate, if he needs to sleep like a normal human being that is. Being able function normally with only 1 hr of sleep, I guess his mind is as durable as his body...Or maybe he would just go into his REM state immediately in the next chapter....

Although A-tan said she needs Hina's presence to restore her power, it will take awhile if they hardly being together for 5 days out of a week.
The body will not function if someone doesn't get enough sleep, and the Mythbusters have actually proven that lack of sleep is worse for functioning than being drunk.
Hayate, and everyone else apparently, seriously needs to either get more sleep or start getting sick more often. Once he chooses someone as his partner, they'll probably force him to sleep more often (and he's a 'not distracted by the fanservice'(trope), so it wouldn't be the 18+ 'more sleep' -_-), so maybe the cannot spit it out(trope) needs to end before he causes someone else problems.

And while Alice said that she needed the power of the blade and Hinagiku, her statement about the house seemed to indicate that she could regain power for herself and just needed the blade's power to do something else entirely, or maybe it's the cap on top, rather than just powering up by the sword.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 19:14   Link #7563
GDB

It's not really a surprise that Hayate and Maria don't get much sleep. There was a chapter or two before where it was pretty much stated that, even in the mansion, they only got 3-5 hours of sleep each night.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 20:13   Link #7564
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
The body will not function if someone doesn't get enough sleep, and the Mythbusters have actually proven that lack of sleep is worse for functioning than being drunk.
Hayate, and everyone else apparently, seriously needs to either get more sleep or start getting sick more often. Once he chooses someone as his partner, they'll probably force him to sleep more often (and he's a 'not distracted by the fanservice'(trope), so it wouldn't be the 18+ 'more sleep' -_-), so maybe the cannot spit it out(trope) needs to end before he causes someone else problems.
I'm sure the Mythbusters would recommend you not to take this seriously, because it's fantasy. I mean, we've seen Hayate getting hit by a car (and other things equally dangerous) and survive, we've seen him travel through time, pedal almost as fast as a car... lack of sleep? No problem.
Old 2011-01-12, 20:35   Link #7565
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
And while Alice said that she needed the power of the blade and Hinagiku, her statement about the house seemed to indicate that she could regain power for herself and just needed the blade's power to do something else entirely, or maybe it's the cap on top, rather than just powering up by the sword.
I believe that A-tan meant that the power spot in the house with the Shirozakura would help her restore her power (faster) since she said ,"Now I just need Hinagiku's Shirozakura (after stated the strong power spot) and I should be able to restore my lost power in 3 months."
Old 2011-01-12, 20:55   Link #7566
Used Can

I'd help A-tan with my Shirozakura if I could. ;_____;
Old 2011-01-12, 21:09   Link #7567
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I'm sure the Mythbusters would recommend you not to take this seriously, because it's fantasy. I mean, we've seen Hayate getting hit by a car (and other things equally dangerous) and survive, we've seen him travel through time, pedal almost as fast as a car... lack of sleep? No problem.
Hayate gets a pass, since he's the main character and superhuman besides.
The others though, not so much, especially since they seem to act entirely like normal humans.
And even if they aren't, giving role models that do these types of things that are clearly dangerous without showing the consequences of such is always a bad idea unless you show that they aren't supposed to be taken seriously, which they haven't really. Though Nagi getting sick so often (and not always a *cough* "I don't want to go to school today") is enough for that, but I would like to see it a little more widespread considering the lack of sleep the characters of the apartments seem to be getting.

Alice doesn't really seem to be caring much about the blade being used, she hasn't seemed to be trying to get it brought out since finding it.

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2011-01-12, 21:36   Link #7568
zodanhko
*ignoring*

I hope the mythbusters won't mix manga with reality and agree that the impossibles such as Midas, magic, RG, a talking tiger, ghosts, etc... could exist in mangas.

Quote:
Hayate gets a pass, since he's the main character and superhuman besides.
If being a main character allows him to pass a reality check, then he shouldn't be accounted for his lack of mental deprivation due to the lack of sleep either, right?
Old 2011-01-12, 21:41   Link #7569
Used Can

Quote:
The others though, not so much, especially since they seem to act entirely like normal humans.
Who are these "others"?

We know Nagi doesn't have good sleeping habits, but it's not as terrible as sleeping 1 hour, and we've seen she has a sleeping disorder. Hina went to sleep early. Maria went to sleep late, but we've seen her being really sleepy in the morning, and taking a nap in the afternoon. The rest are rather normal.
Old 2011-01-12, 22:00   Link #7570
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef View Post
For once the google translation is not extremely off.
My attempt at a poetic translation:

Unchanging is love's sorrow,
a monotonous song,
and still, where I descried it
I softly hummed along.
That's a very fine rendering. I probably would've used "discerned" instead of "descried", but that's a small matter. Also, maybe "a monotone song" would be better, to emphasize the fact that the song literally has only one note rather than just being a bore. I assume you know who wrote the quatrain?

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2011-01-12 at 22:49.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 22:04   Link #7571
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Alice doesn't really seem to be caring much about the blade being used, she hasn't seemed to be trying to get it brought out since finding it.
As of now, the power restoration method with the Shirozakura is ambiguous. It has only been one day since the plan initiated so we don't really have much information.
Old 2011-01-12, 22:56   Link #7572
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Who are these "others"?

We know Nagi doesn't have good sleeping habits, but it's not as terrible as sleeping 1 hour, and we've seen she has a sleeping disorder. Hina went to sleep early. Maria went to sleep late, but we've seen her being really sleepy in the morning, and taking a nap in the afternoon. The rest are rather normal.
That actually comes from the translator, not even my own words.
http://mangahelpers.com/t/hidden-det...releases/27106
(So basically, it seems that A-tan’s the only one getting the healthy, recommended amount of sleep every day… -_-)

Old 2011-01-13, 00:20   Link #7573
Used Can

But, dude, you don't need the translator's comment. The times at which they went to sleep and woke up are there. Certainly, they're not sleeping 8 hours, but 6 hours sleep is not bad. In fact, the recommended amount is 6 to 8 hours, and the best indicator for how much you should get between those two is whether you feel well rested when you wake up. Hina and Chiharu, both who seemed to have slept for around 6 hours, seemed well rested. Maria didn't seem well rested, but she had a nap later. Nagi also had around 6 hours of sleep, but whether she felt well rested or not, she seems to have a sleeping disorder.

As for A-tan, we don't know when she went to sleep. She got up around 9:30 and 10:00 in the morning. However, I have to point out that oversleeping is as bad (some people argue it may be even worse) as not sleeping enough. But well, for all we know, she could have gone to sleep really late.
Old 2011-01-13, 00:50   Link #7574
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
But, dude, you don't need the translator's comment. The times at which they went to sleep and woke up are there. Certainly, they're not sleeping 8 hours, but 6 hours sleep is not bad. In fact, the recommended amount is 6 to 8 hours, and the best indicator for how much you should get between those two is whether you feel well rested when you wake up. Hina and Chiharu, both who seemed to have slept for around 6 hours, seemed well rested. Maria didn't seem well rested, but she had a nap later. Nagi also had around 6 hours of sleep, but whether she felt well rested or not, she seems to have a sleeping disorder.
Hinagiku and Chiharu are also hinted at being rather physically active, so when they sleep, they probably fall straight into the best restful sleep, so 6 is probably enough for them. Hayate would probably be able to fall into this category as well if he were healthy.
For the others, the recommended full 8 hours might not be enough, Maria especially, since she needed the nap.
I rarely get enough sleep in a night, but you'd never be able to tell because it doesn't show. My dad, in contrast, probably oversleeps and he rarely gets enough rest.

I'm also wondering why you think Nagi has a sleep disorder, I know lots of people who are completely healthy and sleep much the same schedule (if not worse) as she does.

My adding the translator's comment is saying 'I'm not the only one with this concern'. In short, this 'typical day' that this chapter represents is unhealthy for almost everyone, in-story and as a role model.

Old 2011-01-13, 01:05   Link #7575
Used Can

Quote:
I'm also wondering why you think Nagi has a sleep disorder, I know lots of people who are completely healthy and sleep much the same schedule (if not worse) as she does.
Because we've seen her waking up at night, thinking it was morning.

The only comment that caught my attention was that they're still living like rich people, even though they're supposed to be having financial problems. Although, perhaps, "financial problems" in Nagi's case may simply mean not having an unlimited supply of money, but she is still rich.
Old 2011-01-13, 01:25   Link #7576
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Because we've seen her waking up at night, thinking it was morning.
Waking up at midnight, you first will think it's morning because you've just woken up.
I often do this, especially when it's cloudy out, because I keep my blinds closed, so I have to judge the time of day by the amount of light I see, it has nothing to do with a sleep disorder, it's usually solved by looking at a clock.

Old 2011-01-13, 01:34   Link #7577
Used Can

That's not my point. My point is that she's not sleeping when she should. At some point she wasn't sleeping during the night, but slept during the day. That's a sleep disorder that could easily end up in DSPS. That's not healthy. But, either way, this is fiction, that's not going to happen, I think.
Old 2011-01-13, 01:40   Link #7578
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
That's not my point. My point is that she's not sleeping when she should. At some point she wasn't sleeping during the night, but slept during the day. That's a sleep disorder that could easily end up in DSPS. That's not healthy. But, either way, this is fiction, that's not going to happen, I think.
I did get the point, the point I was making is that there's nothing to indicate any kind of sleep disorder, just natural sleep related stuff.
That's why I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from with the sleep disorder comments.
Maria is also sleeping during the day, but no one's accusing her of having a sleep disorder.

Old 2011-01-13, 02:42   Link #7579
Used Can

Because Maria only took a nap. Nagi, on the other hand, had her full time sleep during the day. She's shifting her time of sleep, and that's what I'm saying is not healthy.
Old 2011-01-13, 02:54   Link #7580
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Because Maria only took a nap. Nagi, on the other hand, had her full time sleep during the day. She's shifting her time of sleep, and that's what I'm saying is not healthy.
You're making an issue out of a non-issue, your body does it naturally, it's called bio-rhythm. When you're working theater, people commonly sleep during the day because the only time they may have to get their work done is late during the night.
Sleeping at any time causes the same bodily reactions, regardless of what you call it. Nap, sleeping, it's all the same functionally.
There's nothing to say that it's not natural or healthy to sleep during the day, it's just not commonly done because you can see easier during the day, thus it's usually the time when people do their functioning.

Tags
comedy, shounen