AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-08, 16:26   Link #61
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Seems like there's quite a few of these this season. MC who appears weak but has some hidden power to compensate.

Though starting the series off with your main character bleeding to death is definitely a good way to keep people intrigued. I just hope we don't have to wait the entire 2 cour to get to that part.
I'm not sure if you noticed but he had his legs above his head... He was nicely split in two...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 16:36   Link #62
KnightShade

Quote:
Seems like there's quite a few of these this season. MC who appears weak but has some hidden power to compensate.

Though starting the series off with your main character bleeding to death is definitely a good way to keep people intrigued. I just hope we don't have to wait the entire 2 cour to get to that part.
to quote Thel "the arbiter" vadam, "Were it so easy"

keep watchin m8
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 16:45   Link #63
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Considering Asterisk and Rakudai's pilots were so similar, this one has a better impression in my eyes for just being different. Looks to be darker than the other two, and it helps they started with the MC's impending doom scene. Like I don't doubt that he will live (this is fantasy battle action adaptation after all), but it does make the MC vulnerable so that he isn't infallible in battle. In fact, they make it a point that him and the rest of his platoon is incompetent, so the beginning scene is just a natural progression from that.

I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but even though the pilot seems rushed, I enjoyed it noticeably more than the other two. Now the question is, will it be able to hold its lead by episode three?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 16:48   Link #64
Malicre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Yeah, comparatively speaking this was least generic first episode of the three action orientated school themed LN adaptations airing this season. So it at least has that as Haak said and stronger promise of going somewhere with it's plot. If you are watching the other two (Asterick and Rakudai) you might as well give this chance too since isn't any worse than them.

So for what is going to be a 9 volumed adaptation (in a split cour) the pacing of the premier was surprising not too shabby. Most of the exposition and some other miscellaneous details/scenes were trimmed down, but left enough a decent idea of what is going on. Pretty efficient. Most the characteristics and quirks of this ragtag group of misfits transitioned in the short time. Looking forward to how they handle the next episode.
Sorry but Rakudai is so much better then this and Asterick.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 17:27   Link #65
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicre View Post
Sorry but Rakudai is so much better then this and Asterick.
...Which is irrelevant to my post? Whether Rakudai or Asterick becomes better than this in the end or not doesn't change that this started off more agreeable then those did to me, thus it gets a more favorable impression. If this continues in that direction while the others remain the same or get worse than AMA doing a better job of entertaining it's audience.

I don't really care which of the three will end up being the best anyway, this isn't a competition. If any of them came remain at least decent throughout their run and don't make me feel like my time is being wasted regardless of gap in each individual shows quality. AMA is especially different enough that it won't become an either or situation to me at this point.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 17:33   Link #66
Arya

Well, well, leaving aside the opening scene that, with the appearance of that girl who is very likely a witch, foreshadowed the way he will be put together, I enjoyed this premiere. The main girl fits perfectly with my tastes, so that's alone would be enough. But, yeah I'm also going to compare, in respect of the other two shows of the pack the action was actually very good, and more meaningful (no school tournaments) and the addiction of some gore added up reinforcing this last impression.
I particularly liked the intense exchange between the two protagonists in which the girl gave her reasons, but the MC stood his ground. So the little slip of the MC, and of the writers, on the heroine's chest resulted as forgivable. Even more if we consider how the others shows built their premises over it, when instead here it was almost an end in itself. Or a comedic attempt at best (or worse). I mean, the dynamics between the two main characters here are based on actual content, for unoriginal it may be.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 17:33   Link #67
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Wow, just have read the manga and this is really promising. I will follow this show.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 19:04   Link #68
Amiluhur
Gondok

Was laughing so much during the last 5 minutes. Ohtori trying to kill two dudes only to break down in tears after being stopped by the lead guy was so ridiculously hammy that it's hilarious. The rest of the episode was meh though.
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 22:39   Link #69
Wandering Soul

This was actually handled pretty well. The world building did suffer due to the cuts though but they have room to make up for and they did give a vague idea of what's going on. Now just have to wait to see how next episode goes.
Old 2015-10-08, 23:00   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I will say out of the combat school shows (of which there are surprisingly many) this was pretty good. The cast is pretty solid and they certainly made things feel weightier. I mean you did have Ohtori actually trying to kill criminals at the end which was a great deal more serious since they aren't important characters so....it was possible she might do it.

I do think a bit slower pace might have been nice for building up the world, but you do get the idea. Magic and such exists so people are trained to handle that kind of thing.

Quite the unstable unit though. You have Ohtori who could go on a murder spree at any given time if she isn't on a short leash and a captain who might actually murder people himself if his sword is insulted too much...Forget the underdog status they have, they are a disaster waiting to happen.

Regardless things are bound to get more serious as they go. And that's considering the utter mess and murder they found near the end of this episode. Things just feel heavier because people are actually dying. They may be people we don't know, but death is still happening out there.
Old 2015-10-08, 23:07   Link #71
HandofFate

I read the manga a bit, but never past the first few episodes.

But the production so far for episode 1 is keeping me interested.
laughed a lot more. And Silver Links is putting some good work in the action.
Old 2015-10-08, 23:09   Link #72
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Quite the unstable unit though. You have Ohtori who could go on a murder spree at any given time if she isn't on a short leash and a captain who might actually murder people himself if his sword is insulted too much...Forget the underdog status they have, they are a disaster waiting to happen.
That's not even getting into the problems some of the other members have like Usagi's confidence issues. Poor girl ended up sniping the wrong building.
Old 2015-10-08, 23:20   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
That's not even getting into the problems some of the other members have like Usagi's confidence issues. Poor girl ended up sniping the wrong building.
Yeah, fair point. They didn't focus too much there, but she's kind of as dangerous as any of them. They might snap and kill the people in front of them, but she might snipe someone completely innocent due to crumbling under the pressure....
Old 2015-10-09, 00:28   Link #74
Chosen_Hero

Generic episode is generic and gore won't change that, the second I heard them talking I knew into which archetype each of the characters fell, the 2edgyforthemselves thing this has going on is way too cheesy, especially when you have (like usual) teenagers doing adults jobs (do their families even care that they might die?).

Not to mention all the mistakes made in that one operation that would have had them kicked out of any self respecting law enforcement agency (you don't just snipe the wrong target and tsundere it off like it was nothing).
Old 2015-10-09, 00:49   Link #75
watisit

The voices are kinda different from what I imagined. Ouka and the MC seemed to be a little gruff.
watisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-09, 01:27   Link #76
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Not to mention all the mistakes made in that one operation that would have had them kicked out of any self respecting law enforcement agency (you don't just snipe the wrong target and tsundere it off like it was nothing).
Keywords: Self respecting ≠ 1. Giving free reign to a platoon of incompetent people and 2. The punishment for one of it's officers killing a target was to demote her to a school... So yeah, wrong thing to complain about
Old 2015-10-09, 01:48   Link #77
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I think it would be a new fun meta to watch all three of them back to back, though I think in concept 35th is different enough from the other two.
I'm doing it with Rakudai and Asterisk right now, as well as Testament Burst.
This is not within my tastes, though. I know the a sizable chunk of the concept of the story, and it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't do anything that's unique and it's unwise to compare it to Rakudai and Asterisk just because this has corpses and blood in it and the latter two don't.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-09, 01:50   Link #78
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
This season? It's been a trend for several years now. A lot of these adaptations start with the premise that the male main character is a social outcast of some type, considered a weakling, but he has some special power that's needed to save the world....and gather a harem of female characters specifically designed to sell merchandise and fap material to the audience.

The reason so many of these novel adaptations are starting to feel bland is because so many of them are basically the same plot, with different quality levels of execution. For me personally, it's why I've stopped watching romance focused plots.
Old 2015-10-09, 01:54   Link #79
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ That's what I believed at first, until I began to pick up those shows to challenge myself.
"You're not a fan enough of anime unless you've watched this," so to speak. I'm fine being called a hard M for this reason.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-09, 02:04   Link #80
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Generic episode is generic and gore won't change that, the second I heard them talking I knew into which archetype each of the characters fell, the 2edgyforthemselves thing this has going on is way too cheesy, especially when you have (like usual) teenagers doing adults jobs (do their families even care that they might die?).

I can't believe I'm saying this- I think it would have been better had they been more edgier lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm doing it with Rakudai and Asterisk right now, as well as Testament Burst.
This is not within my tastes, though. I know the a sizable chunk of the concept of the story, and it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't do anything that's unique and it's unwise to compare it to Rakudai and Asterisk just because this has corpses and blood in it and the latter two don't.
You think so? Hmmm, personally I prefer this setting over the other two. Sort of the same feeling as how HnA started.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, supernatural