AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-05, 03:41   Link #11081
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper View Post
The original intent in the domestication and use of wolves would not have been for companionship but rather as tools in hunting. Companionship, while inevitable in hindsight, would most likely have not been a major concern for people back then, survival would be the primary goal. Odds of an ancient human seeing a wolf as anything other than a hunting tool, and perhaps a source of food, are very slim at best.
Thing about dog training is that you need to be very kind to them in order to get any sort of positive response from them. Wolves are dogs too, and if you train them with care and compassion, they're much more efficient as tools as well as anything else than they would be if you were to train them only to hunt and think of it as a tool. Also, I believe it's possible humans, ancient or otherwise, thought of them as very useful for hunting, as you say or imply, and became very fond of the creatures as a result.
Old 2011-01-05, 03:46   Link #11082
GundamFan0083

I seem to recall reading somewhere about a fiery mountain falling into the sea, seas turning into blood (like that of a dead man) and 1/3 of the fish in the sea dying.

Now I'm not one to normally give credence to that kind of thing...but this is starting make me wonder.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ITORAL&act=url

and then I read this article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sh-ashore.html

...I know I've got a copy of that old good book around here someplace...
Old 2011-01-05, 04:47   Link #11083
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere about a fiery mountain falling into the sea, seas turning into blood (like that of a dead man) and 1/3 of the fish in the sea dying.

Now I'm not one to normally give credence to that kind of thing...but this is starting make me wonder.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ITORAL&act=url

and then I read this article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sh-ashore.html

...I know I've got a copy of that old good book around here someplace...
I better also warn you about what the same book says about false predctions... not that I'm accusing you for it, but you do give those wishing to make a quick buck out of it now have grounds to do so...
Old 2011-01-05, 05:02   Link #11084
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Japan new year tuna sale sets price record

I never ate Bluefin Tuna before. How does it taste?
Old 2011-01-05, 06:21   Link #11085
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Pakistani scholars say mourning slain governor risky
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...7010QP20110105
Old 2011-01-05, 10:58   Link #11086
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Japan new year tuna sale sets price record

I never ate Bluefin Tuna before. How does it taste?
Its magnificent... and we all should have to draw lotteries for future servings on it like they do to manage elk hunting and other critters. Seriously, the world needs to stop over-extracting finite resources in the name of this month's greed bucket.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:14   Link #11087
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its magnificent... and we all should have to draw lotteries for future servings on it like they do to manage elk hunting and other critters. Seriously, the world needs to stop over-extracting finite resources in the name of this month's greed bucket.
Well the thing is that Japan has a pretty developed fishing industry like Norway and it is one of their primary economies. If there were any laws set in it could hurt their income and result in the loss of jobs; and not even the Jomon Period free-rice-for-not-hunting incentive would work.

Interestingly, most of the fishing industry is based on the offshore islands like Okinawa and such, but the residents and governors seem to be more concerned about Futenmma airbase than the fishing environmental problem.

Finally, tuna farming has pretty much taken off in Japan, but the infrastructure for that are so little because there aren't any subsidies for setting up one. Brilliant government.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:26   Link #11088
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I prefer Salmon Sashimi anyway.
Old 2011-01-05, 12:06   Link #11089
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
I better also warn you about what the same book says about false predctions... not that I'm accusing you for it, but you do give those wishing to make a quick buck out of it now have grounds to do so...
Yeah I know, a person can't even make a joke (or in my case a wisecrack) about it without someone yelling "THE END IS NIGH!!!"
Old 2011-01-05, 12:24   Link #11090
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Finally, tuna farming has pretty much taken off in Japan, but the infrastructure for that are so little because there aren't any subsidies for setting up one. Brilliant government.
Well that's..... a loss. If they just set up a fish farm for Bluefin tuna, not only will they increase the fishes population but also selling it more cheaper.
Old 2011-01-05, 12:40   Link #11091
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Farmed fish *could* be an excellent solution but typically, the "make money fast" thinking creates large monocultural vats of fish that tend to catch disease easily and then spread it to the wild population via seawater. It can be done right.... but :P
Old 2011-01-05, 13:20   Link #11092
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I prefer Salmon Sashimi anyway.
Salmon is more expensive than tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Farmed fish *could* be an excellent solution but typically, the "make money fast" thinking creates large monocultural vats of fish that tend to catch disease easily and then spread it to the wild population via seawater. It can be done right.... but :P
My sis is doing an aquaculture minor in uni now, and once she solicited my help in helping her design a free-flow sea/ocean based fish-farm pool because she had no idea how to put wires underwater (or run a water cycling system without a pump).

It isn't easy, and it is bloody time consuming to even design in the first place. I bet the official designers have more trouble than I have because I have to draw from BOTH my finance and engineering knowledge bases just for this stupid fish pool (I am an engineering enthusiast who is studying finance in uni.).

Disposal is a major problem because unlike a normal ecosystem where the fish waste and food scraps will be cycled into nature, a fish pool has to have a regulated cleaning system or the fish will get sick. This in turn, drive the costs up as much as 40%...and this means your capital has to be really bloody damn huge before you find a client for your fish.

Throw in the staffing costs, land and overhead, environmental tax...this could mean that farmed fish could cost as one that is caught from a far-off migratory school (e.g, a Japanese buying fish from a fisherman operating in Western Europe).

The best solution to drive costs down would be to play on the supply side of Economics, and that would be subsidy or venture-capital investment. The main idea is to regulate the cash flow through REIT-type funding, but the legal premises aren't even present in the first place. Combined with the subsequent inflation later this year, this inaction could result in further environmental damage for the decades to come.

And those guys in the Diet are going to simply retire without doing anything about it. Bliss.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-01-05, 13:41   Link #11093
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well the thing is that Japan has a pretty developed fishing industry like Norway and it is one of their primary economies. If there were any laws set in it could hurt their income and result in the loss of jobs; and not even the Jomon Period free-rice-for-not-hunting incentive would work.

Interestingly, most of the fishing industry is based on the offshore islands like Okinawa and such, but the residents and governors seem to be more concerned about Futenmma airbase than the fishing environmental problem.

It is better to cut back on fishing and put some fishermen out of work, than allow it to continue unchecked, driving the populations to near extinction, and putting all the fishermen out of work.
Old 2011-01-05, 15:09   Link #11094
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

In the long term, yes. But elections are a short term concern.
Old 2011-01-05, 15:26   Link #11095
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Gotta love politics!

'The issues that matter are the issues that keep you in office!'
Old 2011-01-05, 16:27   Link #11096
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
A bit of reading on the subject of Tuna farms. We're still a long way off.
Old 2011-01-05, 16:30   Link #11097
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper View Post
Gotta love politics!

'The issues that matter are the issues that keep you in office!'
Like any other job.
Old 2011-01-05, 19:18   Link #11098
flying ^

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_804589.html

China's game-changer weapons... from Dong Feng missile and now this:

This is the perfect and convenient excuse to ramp up F-22 and F-35 production
Old 2011-01-05, 19:32   Link #11099
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

To me it looks like the F-22, but I'm poor at judging which plane is which so I'm probably wrong here but China is really on a stream with their inventions...
Old 2011-01-05, 19:34   Link #11100
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oddly enough it looks like the Raptor sans the streamlined engine exhaust.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international