AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-15, 16:28   Link #41
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post
I think kyoani might put a recap of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody at the end of The Disappearance instead of Intrigues Prologue?
Actually, I believe they will do something like that in the middle. Just when Kyon met Haruhi.
Old 2009-11-16, 01:08   Link #42
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I agree. Not only that, but Disappearance ending is a pretty good ending. Ending with something else is probably a bad idea.
It's probably unnecessary, considering the popularity of the franchise, but by leaving off the prologue from Intrigues and not having Kyon close the loop within the movie, KyoAni might would create more interest for viewers to continue watching whatever they put out, in order to get that closure.

I feel like it would be how I'm interested in closure regarding what happens on White Day, and even though I don't really need to know (it doesn't seem to be a major plot point, and the story moves on well enough after 14 March anyway), I'm going to keep looking forward to seeing it someday. So at the end of Disappearance, we know that things get put to rights and it happens, but it isn't of vital importance to see it done now, so the story can move along, meanwhile the newcomer audience is more interested in sticking with the franchise in order to see how it happens. Or something like that, I think my thoughts on the matter started to get garbled halfway through that run-on sentence.

Also, not using the Intrigues prologue in the movie would likely guarantee that we'll get more Haruhi from KyoAni, if for some crazy reason, they haven't already decided to stick with the series until it's done (doubtful?). It's the whole unfinished business thing.
Old 2009-11-16, 16:42   Link #43
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

The movie is 2 and a half hours long??? Are they including the Battle of Helm's Deep in there or something?
Old 2009-11-16, 17:42   Link #44
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman8 View Post
The movie is 2 and a half hours long??? Are they including the Battle of Helm's Deep in there or something?
Huh, several people have mentioned something about the running time now.

How do y'all figure the novel fits into a film? Because I haven't the foggiest idea how to translate the length of a book into the length of a show/movie, but if Melancholy made six episodes and Sigh was five, then Disappearance could easily fit five or six as well, which is about the same length as a 2.5 hour movie, right?
Old 2009-11-16, 17:48   Link #45
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
How do y'all figure the novel fits into a film? Because I haven't the foggiest idea how to translate the length of a book into the length of a show/movie, but if Melancholy made six episodes and Sigh was five, then Disappearance could easily fit five or six as well, which is about the same length as a 2.5 hour movie, right?
Disappearance is the shortest novel to date, shorter than Sigh(s), which, in itself, was very short. (Repetitivity is fun.)

Five episodes (Sigh(s)) is 110 minutes. Six episodes (Melancholy) is 132 minutes... That means that seven episodes is 154 minutes, about the running time of this movie.

Disappearance is two entire episodes longer than it needs to be. (Hell, if they cut a bit of unnecessary stuff they could do it in four episodes.)

What!?
Old 2009-11-16, 17:50   Link #46
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Huh, several people have mentioned something about the running time now.

No. That is the point. Six episodes (24 min by episode) is 144 min, right. But then you should subtract the OP and ED (3 min by episode, exept the last one and the 4th OP, if I remember). This would make 130,5 min. Now you should remember Disappearance is the shortest novel.

That is why people believe 150 minutes is too much.

PS: It was no me who said that is the shortest novel. But it wasn't just one person either. If this is a mistake, please, some one correct me.

PP: Danm! Ninj'ed! Anyway, Kaisos, how did you do that math?
Old 2009-11-16, 17:56   Link #47
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
PP: Danm! Ninj'ed! Anyway, Kaisos, how did you do that math?
A combination of the Windows Calculator tool and simple addition.

Also, episodes are approx. 22 minutes without opening or ending credits. (More like 21.5, but we round up for convenience's sake.)
Old 2009-11-16, 18:13   Link #48
Jintor

Someone talk about release date again.

I could care less about running time.
Old 2009-11-16, 18:20   Link #49
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
A combination of the Windows Calculator tool and simple addition.

Also, episodes are approx. 22 minutes without opening or ending credits. (More like 21.5, but we round up for convenience's sake.)
By "how" I was meaning how many minutes you conidered each episode and each OP/ED.

Hmmm, I counted OP+ED as 3 minutes. But I guess the ED is shorter right? Well, the difference between out maths was just 1,5 minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Someone talk about release date again.

I could care less about running time.
It is 02/06/2010 right? At last if I understood the official site wel enough.
Old 2009-11-16, 18:21   Link #50
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Disappearance is the shortest novel to date, shorter than Sigh(s), which, in itself, was very short. (Repetitivity is fun.)

Five episodes (Sigh(s)) is 110 minutes. Six episodes (Melancholy) is 132 minutes... That means that seven episodes is 154 minutes, about the running time of this movie.

Disappearance is two entire episodes longer than it needs to be. (Hell, if they cut a bit of unnecessary stuff they could do it in four episodes.)

What!?
Perhaps they should include a re-enactment of the Battle of Helm's Deep.

Haruhi = Theoden
Yuki = Gandalf
Mikuru = Eomer
Kyon = Gimli
Koizumi = Legolas
Tsuruya = Aragorn

Leader of the Orcish Hordes of Isengard is Ryoko Asakura

Haruhi: Ride for ruin, Kyon! For ruin... and the world's end!!!

In all seriousness, though, good observations and math work, Kaisos. I remain optimistic that KyoAni will find a good use for these additional minutes... but if they don't, it's going to be Fluff City.
Old 2009-11-16, 19:01   Link #51
Tornadium

Ending where Kyon wakes up to Haruhi at his bedside needs to make me cry like a little girl.

That's all i ask.
Old 2009-11-16, 19:30   Link #52
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:

What!?
Since Sigh was in a continuation format like a movie, it was of interest to me to see how the five episodes flowed if not broken up by the OP and ED. I edited the five episodes together and kept only the first OP to keep in line how I imagine KyoAni would make the "movie" of Sigh. Combined with only deleting 2 OPs and 4 EDs, Sigh becomes one 119 minute long piece. If you add a 3-4 minute long credit sequence, Sigh would be about 125 minutes long. (My piece may differ in times because you took out the OP and ED for Sigh V and the OP for Sigh IV which were not shown.)

Book length is not always the best way to judge episode length. I know everyone wants to forget Endless Eight, but even the final episode wasn't able to animate every single activity mentioned in the short story due to episode length (even cutting out the ED) and that was only a 30-odd page story. I've been meaning to re-read Vanishment and see if there is more action compared to description between it and the two released English translations that could account for the time differences.
Old 2009-11-16, 19:58   Link #53
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I've been meaning to re-read Vanishment and see if there is more action compared to description between it and the two released English translations that could account for the time differences.
Actually, there's a lot more of Kyon talking to himself than there is in the other books, as I recall.

But I need to re-read that book, too.
Old 2009-11-16, 20:22   Link #54
Dr. Casey

Quote:
It is 02/06/2010 right?
Which is 82 days away.
Old 2009-11-16, 22:44   Link #55
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Interesting speculation about the length of the film. Having read the novel I think 2 hours is ample time to tell the story at a good, careful pace with lots of juicy details and also provide whatever necessary background for new viewers. I think 2 hours is longer than the average anime movie, right?
Old 2009-11-17, 02:35   Link #56
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadium View Post
Ending where Kyon wakes up to Haruhi at his bedside needs to make me cry like a little girl.

That's all i ask.
I want to see her struggle out of her zipped up sleeping bag lol and her pale expression when Kyon fell down the stairs.
Old 2009-11-17, 04:35   Link #57
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
In short I guess you can say my biggest pet peeve about the Haruhi series is that through each experience it feels that the characters haven't grown, matured or changed at all or not nearly as much as it feels they should have by the time the next story is about to start and Disappearance is a shining example of this problem in it's most obvious form to me. Maybe pressure from Kadokawa to develop the franchise a certain (slow and drawn out) way, maybe not.
I can see your point.

And yes, the author would have been a fool if he had not drawn out a series which practically screamed "MONEY!"

But, all the events in the series of books happen over what? A period of time which is less than a year? A year isn't exactly that large a period of time... not to mention, it seems that most of the characters are pretty content to keep the status quo.

Oh, and as for as the Haruhi anime adaptations goes... I wouldn't mind if Disappearance was the last thing we see animated in awhile. To be honest, there hasn't really been any real interesting developments (Editor in Chief was a cute/insightful short tho)... Book 9 has potential but, until Book 10 finally makes its debut, I can't really say.
Old 2009-11-17, 06:25   Link #58
Jintor

Time period between stories isn't enough to show massive character development, it's much more subtle than that. Kind of like reality. I'm not a hugely different person now than I was a year ago (disregarding time travel, fighting data crickets in sub-space, an endless summer etc) so I don't see how you can expect their character development to go in leaps and bounds.

That said, there is some genuine, enjoyable character development, but the warped chronology and the lack of time between stories makes it difficult to spot.
Old 2009-11-17, 10:41   Link #59
Tabasco

You almost have to compare the last two novels against the first two to spot major, obvious differences.

Ex: Melancholy or Baseball game Haruhi against the Snowy Mountain Syndrome or Intrigues version. Or, for that matter, early novel Yuki against the Day of Sagittarius or Intrigues model.
Old 2009-11-17, 11:01   Link #60
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Character development within the Haruhi novels is reasonably good, at least as it pertains to Kyon, Haruhi, and Yuki.

Relationship development, OTOH, lags somewhat, imo. The SOS Brigade, and the interpersonal relationships within it, really hasn't changed much considering that they've been together for a year, and through quite a bit... with one slight exception...

Spoiler for Later novel spoiler:

The characters have changed some, but interpersonal dynamics really hasn't caught up to that yet, imo.