AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi... - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 20 24.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 31.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 14.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 18.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.66%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-17, 20:26   Link #81
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
No, because they burned the best the scene with the greatest potential in the show's worst episode. What remains is to wrap up what they failed to animate the last three months or hopefully fanservice
Haha. Seriously, you don't think they'll give context to the ending scene next episode? It's not like this is the first anime to do that. Plus, I thought the ending scene, while mellow, fit the tone of the show well. Of course, I like the episode for the exact reason people hate it (I've said before that I think this show does "nothing" rather well, mostly because it's just fun to see these awful characters work off each other).

Quote:
No, it isn't, P:TS at least looked good, yet like this adaption/spin-off crippling characters and plot
I liked the characters and plot in Persona Trinity Soul and this anime, so that concept is lost on me.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-12-17, 22:10   Link #82
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I don't mind mellow, if it's like every teardrop is a waterfall I'd be just as annoyed, I just think the scene was cheesy.

Mellow good. Cheesy bad. Simple really.

If I have to explain -- and I'd really rather not justify a fundamentally emotional reaction with BS logic -- I'd say it has to do with the lack of buildup, the full classroom setting (gawkers are so not needed), the useless flashback (we know), the cheesy two-people-stare-at-each-other-and-then-zoom-in thing. In other words, directorial fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan
Yes, her long hair only being a wig in an attempt to try to impress others - I could see that with Yozora. So with her wig being about to come off, she didn't want to be exposed.
Wut?

Yozora, faking it to impress others? Does not compute.
Old 2011-12-17, 22:35   Link #83
Candyshark

Bleh. Marina didn't deliver. Really unfortunate that material with such potential isn't handeled well.
Old 2011-12-18, 05:11   Link #84
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Overall not too bad of an episode. At least Sena and Yozora were easy to handle this time since they were simply playing games. No violence and limited insults.

Deep information about Rika's connections and why she helps out game companies . But also some things like Kodoka talking to Sena about why he keeps his hair as is. A good reason certainly since that's all he has of his mother and won't let the situation around him take that connection away.

Though have to agree it did seem like Sena's bust size dropped severely when in that yukata. That's some powerful fabric there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wet, cold, and miserable- This is not psychology people
The problem is that it felt off. I mean just saved from her hair going up completely and just walks off? Just seemed like they raised the drama of that scene a bit too high. Certainly makes sense why someone wouldn't want to just stand around, but taking in the whole scene it felt off.
Old 2011-12-18, 05:21   Link #85
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The problem is that it felt off. I mean just saved from her hair going up completely and just walks off? Just seemed like they raised the drama of that scene a bit too high. Certainly makes sense why someone wouldn't want to just stand around, but taking in the whole scene it felt off.
Agreed! If this was RL, most people would be put off by Yozora when she simply walked away. Perhaps the show is trying to convey over and over how socially akaward she is. Some back story on her might shed some light at the peculiar nature of her character.
Old 2011-12-18, 08:28   Link #86
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

This episode and several others just go to show she has attitude and socializing problems. It definitely has to do with her past, but what exactly? We can only hope that is answered to a satisfactory degree in the next and final episode.

Seeing that I've never read the novel before, here are two things I speculate that could happen next episode:

1) We could have a summary of the first 11 episodes, but in Yozora's point of view and her inner thoughts in display.

2) Yozora reveals what exactly is going on to Kodoka.

I hope Yozora can at least come clean :/

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
Old 2011-12-18, 11:03   Link #87
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^ You forgot:

3) pointless fan-service episode
Old 2011-12-18, 13:12   Link #88
mironicus

Shock for all Yozora fans! A picture of the final episode has been leaked!

Spoiler:

No second season anymore...
Old 2011-12-18, 13:26   Link #89
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
No second season anymore...
Oh surely you jest. With Yozora's violent and possessive personality, she has given it a title already!!

Man Stealing Vixen!!
Old 2011-12-18, 16:44   Link #90
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow this show ended up getting really bland really fast. It started off pretty solid and actually managed to be its own thing for a while and the characters were kind of funny, then at about the halfway mark it just started to bring out the stock plots we've seen in these harem/romances a bajillion times before and you got the usual stable of the Karaoke episode, the pool episode, the hot spring episode, the beach episode, and now the festival back to back. Just no imagination going into these scenarios anymore....pretty disappointed how this turned out but not surprised in the slightest since every show like this that starts off pretty clever and amusing eventually ends up indistinguishable from it's peers save for the character designs.

Honestly I don't even feel like I need to watch the last episode anymore cause I already know exactly how it's going to turn out.
Old 2011-12-18, 17:23   Link #91
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Meh, the anime has never managed to keep me interested as in that I feel I must watch each new ep. as soon as possible; I even left a ~2 episodes out and didn't feel the "need" to watch them. The humor was only sometimes to my liking, but then not throughout a whole episode and let's not talk about the fanservice. Sure, it's nice watch here and there, but it was hardly a "big advantage" of the show for me(!). It's kinda a shame because Kodaka, Sena and Kobato were quite likeable and despite that I usually care more about character likeability than plot-power, the overall package just didn't suit to me. The whole friend-making club idea was actually a nice concept and I started to watch it without any pre-knowledge and/or expectations. Overall, I used Boku wa Tomodachi more as filler when I had nothing else to play or to watch.

As for "romance": I never felt that it was an plot-important part. Sure, there were bits throughout the course, but it appeared to have been overshadowed by the usual comedy & fanservice combination (which itself isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Old 2011-12-18, 17:39   Link #92
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Meh, the anime has never managed to keep me interested as in that I feel I must watch each new ep. as soon as possible; I even left a ~2 episodes out and didn't feel the "need" to watch them. The humor was only sometimes to my liking, but then not throughout a whole episode and let's not talk about the fanservice. Sure, it's nice watch here and there, but it was hardly a "big advantage" of the show for me(!). It's kinda a shame because Kodaka, Sena and Kobato were quite likeable and despite that I usually care more about character likeability than plot-power, the overall package just didn't suit to me. The whole friend-making club idea was actually a nice concept and I started to watch it without any pre-knowledge and/or expectations. Overall, I used Boku wa Tomodachi more as filler when I had nothing else to play or to watch.

As for "romance": I never felt that it was an plot-important part. Sure, there were bits throughout the course, but it appeared to have been overshadowed by the usual comedy & fanservice combination (which itself isn't necessarily a bad thing).
I just kind of find it depressing when you have a 12 episode anime, a one cour anime if you will, and it feels like it still runs out of fresh material, humour, and character development by the halfway mark. Feels like one day in the not too distant future we're going to end up seeing something like split half cours at this rate because 1 cours will be judged to difficult to write enough content for all at once.

Honestly I had the exact same problem. I managed to watch the first 5-6 episodes week to week absolutely no problem and found the series far more enjoyable than I was expecting and the cast actually pretty amusing and full of good chemistry, but then by the time I saw the preview for episode 8 I felt like it was back burner time. I just got up to this episode today by skipping the prior two much like yourself, watched 10 minutes or so and was like, "yep I'm done" and that was that. Probably would have been better to have just cut my losses back at episode 8 when it seemed like it had fulfilled the criteria for my getting bored with it, but eh....
Old 2011-12-18, 18:34   Link #93
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Yozora, faking it to impress others? Does not compute.
It does, because deep inside, she *does* want to be accepted and appreciated by others, even if she doesn't show it.
If she didn't care about what others think and didn't care if others appreciated her, she would've never founded the neighbourhood club in the first place.

So it would be quite possible that she read somewhere that many boys like girls with long hair, and in an attempt to be appreciated by them, she could've got herself a long hair wig.

That it didn't work at all an didn't get anyone appreciate her just made her all the grumpier and contributed to the grumpy, bullying Yozora we're seeing throughout the series.
Old 2011-12-18, 18:45   Link #94
potchip

There are hundreds of LNs on siscon/brocon, childhood friend, butlers etcetc. You'd think why there's a demand on the 'same' thing? Because, novels are not judged on ideas, but on writing styles. Haganai is mostly a dialogue driven LN - it was narrated by Kodaka and told from his perspective (which btw is very much stock standard in LN, the male being the narrator).

Granted the show did have an identity crisis early on, not knowing whether it should be a comedy or harem. Sadly it realised too late that its harem plot develops too slow for one season but the tone of the show is already set - instead of emphasising the friendless nature (which means comedy focused), it focused on service. We ended up with the following priority: Service > comedy > romance.

However the underlying tones of the work didn't change. Had you bothered, you'd realise the beach, swimming pool, festival are all in a way 'twists' of the typical harem beach/swimming pool episodes, where nothing you sort of expect to happen in a harem actually happens. You only need to compare it to IS (textbook harem) to see the difference.

It also irks me how selective some viewers are, when they consider Kobato and Sena as 'nice characters'. Nice in the generic moe way but cliche, at the same time decrying the lack of generic harem plot? Yozora switches between anti-moe and moe and yet people cannot identify with her sadist side because apparently she's not moe enough all the time to be a likable character. I wonder if that is because the show's emphasis on service made Sena an overly sympathic character when she's supposed to be as flawed as Yozora? Sena's problems are only obvious in all the club members' minds it seems.
Old 2011-12-18, 20:25   Link #95
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Did anyone noticed the OreImo and TAMNI shoutouts this episode?
Old 2011-12-19, 00:31   Link #96
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Yes everybody instantly realized it when they saw the Oreimo gang in the comiket scene.

To be honest if this show wouldn't have Kobato who is infinitely cute I'd have dropped it long ago. Yes there is Rika (who looks amazingly good with hair down) but she can only do that much and her constant sexism is somehow tiring after a while. There is humour that is simply over the top and nothing more and there is humour that makes look characters stupid. Haganai clearly falls into the latter category with the retardedness that started with mobile phones, continued with Maria being useless every scene she's in and carried over to the Sena/Yozora contest at the festival.
Old 2011-12-20, 05:53   Link #97
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oreimo cameo... Oreimo flashback. Kuroneko is always welcome.

Unfortunately this show also kinda reminds me of where Oreimo went wrong, and that was its meandering nature and misplaced priorities. It's difficult to feel for Yozora given her behavior, and I'd say whoever wrote this show is quite pushing for Sena. :] It just makes me think Sena ended up as a better developed character overall given her screen time.

Yozora unfortunately just hasn't really come as far as a character. Yes, her mean antics are funny still, and she's witty, but you can only have so much of one thing. Yes, I know she's insecure about herself and acts out by taking it out on others, but we've known that since episode 1 and 2. Trying to elicit sympathy when you've been playing the whole situation for laughs just doesn't work, and is also where Oreimo utterly fell flat in its face. The last part was extremely tacked on and underwhelming.

But fortunately Haganai doesn't ride the character stagnation merry go round as bad. It's nice to see the casual relaxed mess around parts of life, and Rika as frequently is the show stealer. Perhaps Rika deserves what she wants more than anyone else given her willingness to not bullshit everyone. Sena cheating at goldfish was also a high moment for this episode and the whole contest thing was amusing.

So it was definitely watchable and rather relaxing up til the last part (lol fireworks were still fun if a bit cheesy) but it doesn't bode well for how the show will end.

The potential that Kuroneko exists in the same universe (and really should move) as these people bumps this episode to a 7/10 :3

Oh nos not the hair!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-12-20 at 06:16.
Old 2011-12-20, 21:02   Link #98
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well this show has gone in the toilet. Not as offensive as Ore on Imouto, but it ran itself dry. Dropped.
Old 2011-12-21, 05:42   Link #99
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well this show has gone in the toilet. Not as offensive as Ore on Imouto, but it ran itself dry. Dropped.
Why you dropping it with just last episode left?
Might as well finish it for completion sake.
Old 2011-12-21, 15:13   Link #100
lightsenshi
Author

I haven't been watching this series to see what happens to Yozora. It was fairly obvious what would happen pretty much from the beginning. Instead, I've been paying attention to the other characters. IMO, her lack of development has only served to enhance the other characters.