AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-01-26, 12:27   Link #1
Xenio
Flower

What do you think about non-anime style visual novel?

My friend are planning to develop a non-anime style visual novel but he wondering if most english-speaking VN player are anime fan and will non-anime style visual turn them off?
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 12:46   Link #2
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

If your're going to do visual novel, do it anime style or not at all.
Old 2012-01-26, 13:06   Link #3
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
That sounds... bleeeh. Maybe non-anime cartoony/sketchy style works. But definitely not realistic or realistic cg.

I can't imagine reading one that's not manga style.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 13:10   Link #4
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

It depends on how good the art is and what the story is about, and how good that story is.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 13:15   Link #5
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Isn't that an adventure game?

But more seriously, it really depends on how good your artwork is.

Too many western VNs fail simply because their art is shit. I would advise not to go too cartoony. Japanese VNs work because Anime style can work both as a serious style, or a cartoony style. In something western, better to err on the side of seriousness.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 13:24   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Is it live action? Because there are some VNs like that (e.g. 428).

If it's still animation then I guess it does depend on the art but it can work. Saya no Uta didn't look anime-ish for the most part...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 13:40   Link #7
Ray
Garnet

It all depends on the quality of the art for me.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 13:44   Link #8
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Though the real question, is how do you make western art work in a VN?

At it's core a VN needs to have attractive characters to look at, who are Moé. Given that Moé is based in the anime style, getting it in a different style is going to be really tricky. I'd be interested in what you come up with.

I will repeat though, there are certain western styles to be avoided. Namely "Cartoony", which would make everything too humourous and "Superhero", because that's more about bulging chests then cute girls. That doesn't leave many western comics, but you could use something similiar to Persepolis, Persepolis has a compatible style because it's serious, but not too serious, and it still has a lot of stylization.

I could imagine a VN with a similiar style working quite well. The key is that it maintains smooth lines, and even patches of colour. A lot of the western VN's I see fail because their art seems to be directly taken from a sketch book.
Old 2012-01-26, 21:13   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Non anime VN? It might look like those of Marvel comics with numerous dark portions at every panel... I guess...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 21:26   Link #10
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Non anime VN? It might look like those of Marvel comics with numerous dark portions at every panel... I guess...
I think your discription might fit for a digital graphic novel but not a visual novel.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 21:35   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I think your discription might fit for a digital graphic novel but not a visual novel.
That's the onlyWestern style that I can think of. Anime style of drawing is already adapted in the West
Old 2012-01-26, 21:43   Link #12
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

There's the western cartoon style as well (think Calvin and Hobbes, the Simpsons, Peanuts, Archie comics...). There's also Franco Belgian comics, with their variety of styles.

The chiselled looks you see in superhero comics is a niche, and not very common outside of it. That said, there isn't a consistent western style like you see in Manga/Anime.
Old 2012-01-27, 00:36   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

(Imagining a Simpsons VN)...

Ha!... ain't gonna buy.
Old 2012-01-27, 02:44   Link #14
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
At it's core a VN needs to have attractive characters to look at, who are Moé. Given that Moé is based in the anime style, getting it in a different style is going to be really tricky.
What.

Visual novels are simply a form of storytelling, like novels, film and television. Of course, moe-driven VNs in which you choose which attractive characters to hook up with comprise the vast majority of VNs, but it's not a base requirement. One of the strengths of visual novels is the reader's ability to have some control over the direction the story takes, and this can be extremely beneficial not just to romance, but to crime fiction, thrillers, drama, etc.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 03:44   Link #15
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

The only way a western VN could go good for me personally is if it's in 3D.

There was this game called Fahrenheit (or Indigo Child), it has that feel of a VN when you play it, but it's a Western 3D game.

Western artworks imo is best implemented in comics or graphic novels, but not VNs......Eh, wait, maybe, if your VN uses the, what's it called? That format where the texts are displayed in the whole screen with background CGs with the characters behind. If I remember right this form rarely use separate sprite for the characters and just draw them right at the BG . I think this format is even possible with real photos if you're so inclined.
Old 2012-01-27, 04:17   Link #16
Xenio
Flower

well, he is an artist, inspired by another non-anime VN called cinders and want to follows it's art style, here is a pic of cinders which my friend will folow it's art style
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 04:43   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That looks like it'd work just fine for VN art to me.... interesting style.
Old 2012-01-27, 05:17   Link #18
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Complexed. What do I think? don't know, but I hope your friend isn't dissuaded by popular view.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 06:07   Link #19
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
What.

Visual novels are simply a form of storytelling, like novels, film and television. Of course, moe-driven VNs in which you choose which attractive characters to hook up with comprise the vast majority of VNs, but it's not a base requirement. One of the strengths of visual novels is the reader's ability to have some control over the direction the story takes, and this can be extremely beneficial not just to romance, but to crime fiction, thrillers, drama, etc.
While technically that is true, it stands that 95% of VNs is, if not outright a dating sim, at least are heavily based on a Moé aesthetic. Put it this way, you never see ugly girls in a VN, and you rarely see girls that don't fit some kind of Moé archetype (not that any of that is necessarily bad...).

So you have to take that into account when making a VN. The art style needs to be aesthetically pleasing, otherwise you're not fulfilling the visual part of the title.

But I think the cinders example proves that you can have a good western VN without slavishly immitating an anime style. We can take inspiration from Japan while doing it our way. Likewise they take inspiration from us, and do things their way.
Old 2012-01-27, 08:41   Link #20
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
That looks fine for a VN. But it might be too amibitious to go for so much shading and texture work in the background. But that also depends on how many different settings there are.

I have to say Umineko's art is ugly as hell. But the plot is awesome.

*EDIT:

Spoiler for NSFsanity:

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-01-27 at 10:52.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote