AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-12, 02:37   Link #1
lighter junkie
Pyromaniac

Triad. Talk In Colors!!!!

at the moment, i'm in the mid of watching POPOTAN subbed by TRIAD fansubs, i must compliment the suplendid job they did not only on the fansub, but the subtitles itself in particular!!!!!! i aboslutely LOVED the way they personalized each person's dialog, how they assigned different colored subtitles to the person speaking was really adorable---> they had it matched to their hair color[i'm at ep9 now!]. it was one of the best features i've seen in ANY type of subtitled anime so far. at times, i realized that i was more engrossed with the colored subs rather than the anime.

anyhow, just wanted to thank TRIAD for this great effort, it really helped a lot, sometimes when there are a lot of people talking/yelling/crying...etc, and it's hard to distinguish one cute voice from another. i can tell by the colors now! argh....my list of benefits will last probaly 10 pages, but i guess it's better if you go experience it yourself. i think the colored subs doubled my fun factor in watching an already awesome series.

p.s. the subtitles is really THAT great, it made me stop watching in the mid of ep.9 just to write this...since i've been itching to write this since ep.2. now that it's out of my system, i shall go and enjoy the rest of my TRIAD POPOTAN!
lighter junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 04:22   Link #2
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

This isn't really a new concept - we did it for Princess Tutu, we're doing it now for Bottle Fairy, and it was done plenty of times before any of these series ever existed.

This type of thing doesn't work with every series - in most cases, I would prefer a simpler coloring scheme.
Old 2003-11-12, 06:58   Link #3
NenMaster

bet this mehod takes bloody ages
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 08:10   Link #4
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
If they're using SSA it's simply a case of making a Style (selecting the font/colour ect) for each characters speech, then going though, selecting all of that characters speech and selecting the particler style. Woulden't take too long past deciding what colours and fonts to use.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 09:39   Link #5
NenMaster

i think it will, cause they will need 2 know which charter is talking
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 09:47   Link #6
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

That can be easily marked during the translation or the timing process
Old 2003-11-12, 09:50   Link #7
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

This was probably first done by newlifeanime(at least in digital fansubs) which is existent within the triad. So yes, it's nothing new since they've usually done it in that manner to begin with.

To me, all it is is extra work...it makes room for more mistakes because you have to go back and check to make sure you set it to the right color/character. But hey...that's their style and the fans obviously appreciate it.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 16:35   Link #8
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

I agree Popotan subs are awesome. In fact it is probably the best subbing job I have ever seen. I've seen this technique used at least like a year ago though, on Full Moon wo Sagashite by AFK. Were they the first? Dunno, but those were some really nice subs too.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 01:43   Link #9
DarkIncin
(this space for rent ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
I agree Popotan subs are awesome. In fact it is probably the best subbing job I have ever seen. I've seen this technique used at least like a year ago though, on Full Moon wo Sagashite by AFK. Were they the first? Dunno, but those were some really nice subs too.
Glad you like it.

To my knowledge, AFK was the first to use that technique, though color-coordinated subs is something that's obvious in the evolution of subs and more time-consuming than most. And picking good colors is quite difficult.

We were planning on doing that in A-F long ago for Daa! Daa! Daa!, but we never bothered with the series in the end since another group picked it up (AnimeMPEG@DALnet... then they couldn't finish and AnimeOne picked it up). Colored subs is more practical than karaoke, though more work overall.
DarkIncin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 03:05   Link #10
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

No, I remember nla using it in their mahoromatic s1...and I think mahoromatic s1 came out before fmos.
Old 2003-11-13, 03:28   Link #11
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

I remember watching NLA's mahoro, and I don't remember color coordinated subs :|
Although they did do this weird thing where there arrange the subs on the left and right sometimes. I didn't particularly care for that.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 03:52   Link #12
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Ah, o well...doesn't matter who came up with it first...If I'm wrong I'm wrong...and vice versa. And I doubt I'll be picking up that style anyway.
Old 2003-11-13, 08:48   Link #13
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Well i agree i like that kind of Typesetting for the subtitles or diffrent colors for on off screen an thoughts.

It dosen't take much longer if the Translator enter the Character names in the Translation script.

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 17:22   Link #14
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
I remember watching NLA's mahoro, and I don't remember color coordinated subs :|
Although they did do this weird thing where there arrange the subs on the left and right sometimes. I didn't particularly care for that.
The first time I saw drastic and correct use of this was in AnimeHaven's Galaxy Angel subtitles (which were typeset beautifully, though some of the editing at times needed a bit of work). This was in their season 3 subtitles (like the first one I saw was ~ ep 10)

However, not quite sure when they released those compared to FMoS :/

And yes this may be a bit time consuming (I think the offscreen/onscreen method is even more so, which was my our Ultramaniac took forever to typeset), but I think if done correctly, it makes subs just a bit more flavorful.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 01:51   Link #15
lighter junkie
Pyromaniac

YEAH! i think the whole multi-color subtitle thing is way cool, so keep up the good stuff, guys.
lighter junkie is offline   Reply With Quote