AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 08:42   Link #21
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I'm guilty as an "addicted anime downloader". I'm planning to buy a dvd burner to "solidify my downloads"... You can't always rely on external drives... better "burn" them.... I don't focus on maintaining the sop called HD or aything related to that... What am I a OCD?
Knowing what's about the anime is what's valuable for me..
Not sure but it sound more like compulsive hoarding.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 09:24   Link #22
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
I'm guilty as an "addicted anime downloader". I'm planning to buy a dvd burner to "solidify my downloads"... You can't always rely on external drives... better "burn" them.... I don't focus on maintaining the sop called HD or aything related to that... What am I a OCD?
Knowing what's about the anime is what's valuable for me..
Tip: don't burn DVDs. I was doing that for a while. I came back a few years later to find they had all been rendered partially unreadable, I lost over half the data I had put on them, and it was a terrific pain trying to recover the bits that were still readable.

Your own burned DVDs are a lot less reliable then a HDD. Don't burn!

It also takes ages, and it makes you a lot less likely to actually look at them again.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 09:30   Link #23
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Tip: don't burn DVDs.
External Drives well likely be infected accidentally. Why do they burn if it ain't gonna last for so long. Probable it depends on how you take care of those Dvds right?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 10:10   Link #24
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
External Drives well likely be infected accidentally. Why do they burn if it ain't gonna last for so long. Probable it depends on how you take care of those Dvds right?
It does, but to have a long lasting DVD:
1. You need an expensive high quality burner
2. You need relatively expensive High Quality DVDs
3. You need to burn at a slow speed (which takes hours).
4. You need to store it somewhere that cool and far away from the sun.

Otherwise your DVDs will just conk out. Frankly, HDDs are a lot less trouble. And the time saving in particular is huge. DVDs are not quick to burn unless you have industrial equipment to do so.

There's a risk of your HDD being infected with a virus at some point, but it's very unlikely. I've never had an infection that actually harmed any of my files and forced me to delete any.

And really, downloading them all again through Bittorrent will probably be faster then taking them off a DVD again.

Don't forget, DVDs are not quick to read like a HDD, and when you have substantial numbers of them they're very difficult to organise.

Stick to HDDs. And HDDs are so incredibly cheap now anyway. You can buy a terabyte external hard drive for 100$. So buy two, and put the back up in storage somewhere. So long as the storage is clean and cool, that Hard drive should last a long time. And it will be significantly cheaper then DVDs. A 50 disc spindle of DVDs will set you back 15$, that's 70$ for a terabyte. That may seem like less then a HDD but bear the following in mind:
1. A 2 terabyte drive is maybe $140, rendering the price different moot
2. It will take significantly longer and significantly more effort to transfer data to DVDs and organise it afterwards. Time is money! I'd estimate at least 30 minutes work per DVD (and that's convervative). That would be 110 hours of work for a terabyte of data. With Blu Rays it's a bit better, but Blu Rays will set you back significantly more cash

Disks are passé. Stick to a hard drive. Replace it every 5 years or use a RAID and you're set.
Old 2012-02-02, 10:38   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Is it ok to "zip" first a file before storing it? Does zip files get infected same as folders?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 10:55   Link #26
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Neither zip, nor folders can get infected in itself.
A virus is always a piece of code that needs to be executed by other software/hardware (that's why we call it a virus). So the vulnerability depends entirely on the program that opens an "infected" file.

Media storage getting infected by a virus is pretty unlikely. There is usually nothing on there, that is supposed to be executed as code.
Even if a virus (ie a media file that contains virus code, that would get activated by a certain program trying to open it) somehow gets onto your storage disk nothing will happen. It's not like the virus gets on the disk and then does something on the disk to your other files by itself, if that's what you are imagining.

What you have to worry about though, is an already infected OS damaging your stored files with malicious write commands. There are those viruses, that search and destroy certain media files. But the one infected in this case, is the OS, not the media files.
You can somewhat protect yourself from that, if you use file transfer programs like ftp to interact with your storage, instead of letting your OS natively access it.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2012-02-02 at 11:15.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 18:58   Link #27
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Stick to HDDs. And HDDs are so incredibly cheap now anyway. You can buy a terabyte external hard drive for 100$. So buy two, and put the back up in storage somewhere.
@genji

How much is the HDs in your area? $100 = Php4200 right now so I don't think we can call it cheap.

LOLZ. I'll need 1 year to save up to this much.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 19:37   Link #28
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
@genji

How much is the HDs in your area? $100 = Php4200 right now so I don't think we can call it cheap.

LOLZ. I'll need 1 year to save up to this much.
I wasn't taking into account that he was in the philipines. Still, electronics are likely to be correspondingly cheaper. And the cost/benefit still holds, though it's less of a no brainer (an Irish person could probably earn $100 in 2 or 3 days! Ah inequality!)

In fact, if anything, being in the Philipinnes only comes out worse for DVDs. How easy is it to find somewhere cool and dry for your DVDs? Going to store them in your fridge?

In Ireland it's easy, any of my cupboards will be about 15 degrees C.
Old 2012-02-02, 19:48   Link #29
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
I wasn't taking into account that he was in the philipines. Still, electronics are likely to be correspondingly cheaper. And the cost/benefit still holds, though it's less of a no brainer (an Irish person could probably earn $100 in 2 or 3 days! Ah inequality!)

In fact, if anything, being in the Philipinnes only comes out worse for DVDs. How easy is it to find somewhere cool and dry for your DVDs? Going to store them in your fridge?

In Ireland it's easy, any of my cupboards will be about 15 degrees C.
My room's ACed since the time I moved there with my parents so I have no qualms.

But recently I needed to cut back a bit LOLZ.

@Genji: Found it:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...a+hdd+for+sale
Old 2012-02-02, 20:03   Link #30
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Indeed, though, food must be a lot cheaper for you guys. Costs me about 5-10 $ to eat for a day. Give or take.
Old 2012-02-02, 20:46   Link #31
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Oh geez. Well, if you really want to! My dad in his techie-consumer craze went out and bought one of those a long time ago for some unknown reason. He couldn't possibly need that much space!
I can't help it. I've got four 100-gigabyte external harddrives and my fourth one is going on half full. It's not ALL anime, but a good 95% if it is (Word documents are so tiny, hee hee). I just can't stand the thought of deleting an episode if there's even a miniscule chance I'll watch it again.

Like my po--- ahem. Like OTHER SHOWS.... I watch. Yes. Ahem.

Well, except for the Naruto fillers. I delete (most of) those immediately after I watch them.

<----------- Digital data pack rat.
Old 2012-02-02, 20:53   Link #32
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Indeed, though, food must be a lot cheaper for you guys. Costs me about 5-10 $ to eat for a day. Give or take.
Sounds like you're eating out. If you shop sales and cook for yourself (and don't get too fancy or picky), you can greatly reduce your food bill. My wife and I were spending between $30-40 (usually closer to $30) per week, in New York City, on groceries that included vegetables, for the two of us. When we lived in a relatively poor area of California the weekly bill never went above $25. Even assuming we were doing $40 per week, that's $2.86 per day per person.

Eating out here and there is nice, but I always feel guilty about it. You're generally going to spend $8-12 on a single meal. That's a half a week's worth of meals right there
Old 2012-02-02, 21:02   Link #33
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Yes, good.... shows are hard to come by. Especially ones that you genuinely enjoyed watching.
Old 2012-02-02, 21:04   Link #34
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I can't help it. I've got four 100-gigabyte external harddrives and my fourth one is going on half full. It's not ALL anime, but a good 95% if it is (Word documents are so tiny, hee hee). I just can't stand the thought of deleting an episode if there's even a miniscule chance I'll watch it again.

Well, except for the Naruto fillers. I delete (most of) those immediately after I watch them.

<----------- Digital data pack rat.
No kidding. I don't think a single computer I've had has ever gotten past half of its own memory availability. Then again, I'm not too fond of downloading anime episodes from...

The internet... I'm a little timid in that respect. I like to keep my computer "clean" and having as little chance as possible of getting a virus/malware/etc.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:21   Link #35
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Sounds like you're eating out. If you shop sales and cook for yourself (and don't get too fancy or picky), you can greatly reduce your food bill. My wife and I were spending between $30-40 (usually closer to $30) per week, in New York City, on groceries that included vegetables, for the two of us. When we lived in a relatively poor area of California the weekly bill never went above $25. Even assuming we were doing $40 per week, that's $2.86 per day per person.

Eating out here and there is nice, but I always feel guilty about it. You're generally going to spend $8-12 on a single meal. That's a half a week's worth of meals right there
I'll admit, I do like eating meat and having some chocolate and fruit juice.

Decent meat will set you back at least a dollar or so a day, but it's soo worth it...

I think budgetting 5-10$ a day on food gives you a bit of the finer things in life, without breaking the bank.
Old 2012-02-02, 23:58   Link #36
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I'll admit, I do like eating meat and having some chocolate and fruit juice.

Decent meat will set you back at least a dollar or so a day, but it's soo worth it...

I think budgetting 5-10$ a day on food gives you a bit of the finer things in life, without breaking the bank.
It's all in the preparation. For example, I buy the crappiest cuts of beef because I prepare it in a slow cooker. It comes out just as soft and tender as a more costly cut would. The entire reason behind buying a higher-end cut is pretty much negated with that alone. Granted, if you want to prepare a very specific dish or make it a specific way, you might be forced to go for a pricier cut. However, as I'm on a student budget, I'm content to just make sure that I'm eating healthy, feeling satiated, and that it tastes good. Maybe some day I'll be able to afford the more expensive stuff... but since I'm pretty happy with the food I eat now, I'm not sure that I'll be buying things that are much more expensive (except for fruits).
Old 2012-02-03, 03:10   Link #37
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Not always, but I find ways to eat for more or less a dollar a day.
Old 2012-02-03, 09:50   Link #38
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
If I ate for a dollar a day, I'd be pretty much restricted Rice, and maybe a Carrot or something. (1 carrot: 20 cents!)
Old 2012-02-04, 00:27   Link #39
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Stick to HDDs. And HDDs are so incredibly cheap now anyway. You can buy a terabyte external hard drive for 100$. So buy two, and put the back up in storage somewhere.
Then I can make backups.... for my backups! Brilliant!
Old 2012-02-04, 00:30   Link #40
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I can't imagine any of that food having decent nutritional value. Cheap in price screams cheap overall to me.

Be like me. Spend all your expendable income on books and video games. If there's anything left, then buy food.