AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-30, 21:04   Link #21
Cal-Reflector

Haven't seen this yet, but reading a little about it brought to mind some of the conversation (conversation is putting it politely) that took place after some episodes of FMP TSR aired.

So my rhetorical question is: I wonder when the first post flaming this show as "further evidence of Japanese racial empiricism and aggression" will emerge.

So far people have been very positive in their impressions of the show, which is good, I'm certainly going to look at the show cause everyone knows I love a good military action flick.
Old 2006-07-30, 23:03   Link #22
uruchai
"You'll be blessed!"

just finished the 1st one...

echoing the sentiments of the majority in here, I'm quite impressed w/ it. animation was good; the characters were tolerable, even the annoying clown-ish dude.

the blood and violence were just the right amount for me; it wasnt done for the sake of just being gory and bloody but to simply show the brutality of the situation. for that, I like it.

and being quite a fangirl of bishounens, I'm liking Jo (silent, deadly, quite angsty). Sana and Jin were also likeable. and I'm looking forward to learn more about the "villains" - the group of guys who stormed the party/meeting/gathering.

but from the tone and atmosphere of the show, I'm guessing I would've to watch some light-hearted show right after watching an episode of Innocent Venus.
Old 2006-07-30, 23:40   Link #23
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Those guys who stormed the party were so odd. At first I thought they were there to kill some leader, or were rebels or something. But it turns out they were there to thwart that rebels plan and protect that guy. Was quite odd how they did it, but whatever it worked out for them.
Old 2006-07-31, 06:32   Link #24
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Haven't seen this yet, but reading a little about it brought to mind some of the conversation (conversation is putting it politely) that took place after some episodes of FMP TSR aired.

So my rhetorical question is: I wonder when the first post flaming this show as "further evidence of Japanese racial empiricism and aggression" will emerge.

So far people have been very positive in their impressions of the show, which is good, I'm certainly going to look at the show cause everyone knows I love a good military action flick.
I don't see the problem... The Japanese Government of this anime is portrayed as the villains, after all. And this fictitious government is certainly deserving of its antagonistic role.

(What, would you prefer the corrupt government to be the USA or something? )
Old 2006-07-31, 07:02   Link #25
Anime Online

Well, it's just fiction. Much like the way the novel/movie The Da Vinci Code uses the real-world organization Opus Dei.
Old 2006-07-31, 09:15   Link #26
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
Well, it's just fiction. Much like the way the novel/movie The Da Vinci Code uses the real-world organization Opus Dei.
That doesn't stop Opus Dei from complaining, of course.

...But I still don't get it. Why would Cal-Reflector think people who are supposedly anti-Japanese, would complain about Japan being portrayed as an evil empire? I thought it would be the other way around?

I mean, is there a more politically tolerable method? (other than inventing a whole new country/landmass?)

It's like how an Irish comedian can crack Irish jokes. A Japanese animation studio can portray its own government in unflattering ways without China burning effigies and Americans believing there is a conspiracy for the Japanese conquest of Asia.
Old 2006-07-31, 12:00   Link #27
ash_bh
ケロロ

first epispde is really great looking for the second to see if we get a great new serie !
Old 2006-07-31, 14:10   Link #28
froinlaven
Wanchu!

Just saw the first episode. Seems okay, though I'm not quite sure how the plot'll progress. The whole "little girl is the key to something" plot device is a bit overdone. Plus the bad shiny CG is never good for my eyes.

First impressions here.
Old 2006-07-31, 14:14   Link #29
uruchai
"You'll be blessed!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by froinlaven
Just saw the first episode. Seems okay, though I'm not quite sure how the plot'll progress. The whole "little girl is the key to something" plot device is a bit overdone. Plus the bad shiny CG is never good for my eyes.
yeah, I agree but I dont mind much. all I hope is that Sana is not some kind-of weapon or robot or whatever that would eventually end the existence of mankind or something like that. though I wouldnt be surprised if it leads to that.
Old 2006-07-31, 16:48   Link #30
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
finally got a chance to sit down and watch it all the way through i kept getting interupted the first 2 time i tried. Well not bad i love shows where the govornment is the bad guy. I read some of the other post and i too am surprised that the japanese goverment is the bad guy i just dont think i have seen it that much in anime. anyway it looks dark and the animation quality is ok. Dont know where the story is headed but i think i will stick with it for a while.

The soldiers wearing the battle armour were bad ass i think they said something like light soliders or something like that. ISeems like inside their helmets there is a hud feeding them information and even targeting. Dont know his name but they guy that saved the little girl and the other guy was sweet as sweet. brutal deathes in the first episode always rock
Old 2006-07-31, 20:36   Link #31
TEKO425

The blue military uniforms in Innocent Venus remind of the ones in Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2006-08-01, 06:00   Link #32
ReSnake
All-knowing Wonderbra

I finally completed by First Impression,it took me a whole day to complete,I'm a busy man you know
Old 2006-08-01, 11:08   Link #33
Astrayred
-=ARX-7 Arbalest=-

Send a message via MSN to Astrayred
This show shares quite a few similarites with a show i enjoy which is Zegapain,after i seen the first episode i'll definitely continue to watch it.The theme and atmosphere is just great.I don't prefer the names like "Light warriors" and "Heavy warriors" as they sound too simple to me though...
Old 2006-08-01, 13:15   Link #34
Manifold

Just downloaded, this will be my first H.264 encoded video- had a brief glimpse at the quality and I am quite impressed.

No opinions on the series yet..
Old 2006-08-01, 21:45   Link #35
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Noble Roar. First thoughts

As you guessed correct, this is the opening theme to Innocent Venus.

For me it's the first time to download and listen to the full version of a music theme to an anime before said song premiers on that anime.

The song starts with a low paced introduction emulating a sad and solemn (not of the religious type sang in chorus) solo, and immediately picks up at a fast, rhythmic pace on combination of soft rock and j-pop blended with classical overtones of violin and cello renditions to give it gothic qualities and several techno tunes arranged.

Actually, there were few instance peaks in the melody that made me imagine as if I was listening to the songs composed and performed by ALI Project, particularly Hikari no Sansenritsu, Rozen Maiden Traümend's OP theme.
Even another similarity on how the music plays when the song starts, that it quite resembles to the music of Shingetsutan Tsukihime's ending theme, Rinne no Hate ni.

Noble Roar makes a lot of emphasis to the classical melodies on the score, especially violin and cello, henceforth, the opening theme never loses its goth-classical tempo.

I rate it with a 100%

Changing the topic....

After rewatching the subbed version for episode one, I felt the character animation more resembles to Eureka 7 especially to the detail of the colorful, shining eyes on the main cast. However, the post-apocalyptic scenery of a devastated Tokyo strongly reminds me to Akira.

It's interesting the writers choice for as the apocalyptic trigger became a series of natural atmospheric phenomena cataclysms or Hyper Hurricanes rather than the all too traditional end of the world by nuclear warfare.
This evokes a similar apocalyptic theme touched in Roland Emmerich's film, The Day After Tommorrow.

However, there's always the likeable possibility that Hyper Hurricane phenomena was due to mankind's continuous intervention on the planet that triggered the partial extinction event established in the anime's storyline.

Last edited by Guido; 2006-08-01 at 21:59.
Old 2006-08-02, 02:21   Link #36
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Loved the first episode. That little insight into Jo at the end was sweet.
Spoiler:
The mecha was very deadly too.

There's something off with Jin too.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-02, 03:17   Link #37
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by froinlaven
I agree as well !

As a matter of fact, It reminded me a lot about how Last Exile started.
Old 2006-08-02, 04:02   Link #38
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

i like the sound of this one
Old 2006-08-02, 08:10   Link #39
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Watched the first episode and I thought it was interesting but not fantastic, I usually steer away from overly serious anime.
I thought the char designs were good and I can't see anything wrong with the fights as Jo (cool suit but lame mecha) breaking some bones and cracking some heads was very entertaining and the Phantom guys looking like the bad guys was strange.
Can't say that the stories great-Hyper hurricanes, huh? sure...
seems like it's just an excuse to make the show post-apocalyptic.

I think Innocent Venus might be like the Matrix, behind the cool gfx and sfx there is a deep and thought provoking story but people will watch it for the cool fights.
Old 2006-08-02, 11:56   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Watched Ep1...
Nice first Episode ... animation and sound aren't all that impressive ... still... nice show... thumbs up for the battle scenes ... compared to other shows its completely strait forward ... I hope they don't fill the gap with blood and carnage ... hmm... actually that might not be so bad ... haven't seen much brainless carnage lately ... need to something to nuke some of my evil neurons...
Has Ep2 aired yet... does it continue the violence...
Q. Does shiny pyramid city = Japan... ?
Whether it does or not... the perspective in some of the scenes with it is off IMO...

Rating :
Good - the series may be "original"... but it just smells like Hollywood to me...
@ Blizzer

» I think Innocent Venus might be like the Matrix, behind the cool gfx and sfx there is a deep and thought provoking story but people will watch it for the cool fights.
@ orion

Spoiler:

There's a simple explanation to all your questions...
The series is a little coolness oriented... that's why you see little elements here and there that are a little silly and unrealistic... no big deal... as long as they don't over do it...

One thing that is bugging me about this series is the use of conventional modern weapons from our time... I always found it silly to see helicopters and tanks with Mecha...

Tags
action