AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-03, 22:15   Link #1
animan430

RahXephon

I'm proud to start a thread about my easily favorite anime, the great and wonderful, RahXephon.

I love this anime simply for the great story, wonderful character development, amazing soundtrack, and awesome action; with a some nice design work.

If you think RahXephon is just a (u kno...uh...eva rip..) well i'm not even gonna read ur posts.

If you are one of those persons read what this guy said bout RahXephon

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=549
animan430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-03, 23:16   Link #2
Eleutheria
旅行癖

I've seen 9 episodes.

There are a multitude of parallels with Evangelion, but so far I think it surpasses Gainax's classic - in my opinion Eva was a tad weighty, even in the first run of "monster of the week" part. RahXephon has those little touches of levity that really spices things up.

I'm curious to see how it unfolds...

Oh, and I'm sorry, but the angel...uh, Dolem's designs absolutely suck. But then again, Eva's angels weren't that much better, either. Gundam all the way!
Eleutheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-03, 23:57   Link #3
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I bought the first DVD, and well... I don't know, it really didn't touch me at all, and was just very... I don't know, annoying?

Anyway
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 02:10   Link #4
juri_miki
Death Note Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to juri_miki Send a message via AIM to juri_miki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
I bought the first DVD, and well... I don't know, it really didn't touch me at all, and was just very... I don't know, annoying?

Anyway

It may seem like that at first. Actually, I'm kinda glad that I started at episode 4. I know that if I had started at the first episode I don't know if I would've completed the show. I know it's kinda weird, but with anime, sometimes it's really worth getting past the horror of the first couple of episodes to see the ball get really rolling.
juri_miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 03:44   Link #5
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Talking

I'm just glad that RahXephon's male lead character isn't annoying and wussy like the one from an older anime that RahXephon keeps getting compared to.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 05:39   Link #6
Danny Boy

Heh, RahXephon is indeed a lot better than EVA, though I'm not sure if that's much of a compliment. I despise EVA so most anything is better than that show.

I like Rahxephon's ending, though I would've preferred the lead guy ending up with the other girl. Plus, the tragedy of Episode 19(?) will continue to haunt me for quite some time. (Sorry, but is that a possible spoiler? If the mod deems it so, then please edit that this.)
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 22:08   Link #7
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour-Do
I'm just glad that RahXephon's male lead character isn't annoying and wussy like the one from an older anime that RahXephon keeps getting compared to.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
I enjoyed both Eva and Rah, I think Rah tips the scale IMO by not conveying such a negative perception of humanity (If I want this then I just watch the news).
Rah also has the advantage of not having a lead character who makes me want to punch him in the face everytime he's on screen.......

Disclaimer: Tsurumaru is not often prone to random acts of violence.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 08:41   Link #8
Sabin

Send a message via ICQ to Sabin Send a message via AIM to Sabin
I loved RahXephon. I am rewatching alot of it right now. IMO it is what Gainax wanted Evangelion to be but they just didn't quite get it right. I'm not saying that i dislike Evangelion (it is still one of my favourites) but RahXephon simply blows it (and almost everything else i have ever seen) away.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 16:03   Link #9
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
I felt the same way when I bought the first DVD but I sticked w/ it and simply found it captivating. What really made me stick w/ the series was the curiousity of how Ayato and Haruka's relationship is going to turn out. I'm just awaiting the last DVD from ADV.
Gaara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 20:39   Link #10
animan430

ADV has released six of there planned seven RahXephon DVDs for the regular series and has told the release date of the seventh but does any one know when they're gonna release the movie??
Old 2003-11-05, 22:14   Link #11
Eleutheria
旅行癖

From what I've heard the movie is just a recap of the series with no extra footage.

However, an OVA just came out...it's sitting on my harddrive until I've finished the series itself. Purportedly it's about Quon.
Old 2003-11-06, 01:14   Link #12
animan430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria
From what I've heard the movie is just a recap of the series with no extra footage.

I read a review in Newtype USA that said the RahXephon movie was an almost completly new story. They said it concentrates on the love releationship between Ayato and Mishima. But I havn't seen it so I don't know for sure.
Old 2003-11-06, 04:09   Link #13
Mao-Yenrai
Juppon Gatana

Send a message via AIM to Mao-Yenrai
Movie and opinion

I also heard that the movie was about ayato and haruka so that should shed some good light on the whole subject, but I wonder...would this make it better to see the movie and then the anime so that you get the background? oh well I should just wait for the movie at anyrate but still...

AS for Rah Xephon being an eva rip...Yeah eva was good but Rah Xephon is just that much better. The parallels are obvious but in terms of characters, eva's got nothing on it. There are moments in Rah that can't be touched.

Only thing though...some plot holes for me. Like the whole freaky kid thing in the mansion...yeah its barbem but what is the clay stuff and why were they in the mansion?
Mao-Yenrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 06:06   Link #14
bayoab

A description of the movie (basically spoiler free):

The movie is somewhat like a clip show review of the series with some new footage, a couple edits of the story line in old footage, and a few random things which are there to explain the story better, and a few things....which well, you will see eventually. It also includes a large part of 1 episode (i wont name which). It basically explains the relationships between a few of the characters in more detail. It will feel too much like a recap episode for non-fans with a running time of 2 hours . I cant describe it much better [without spoilers] than a couple doses of "ah-ha", doses of de-ja-vu, a massive dose of "wth", and some "....".

So to answer the question: It is like another look at the series from another angle. It is just the old story retold slightly differently in order to make some things make sense.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 19:01   Link #15
animan430

Yea the clay thing confused me too but if the movie is from a different angle then it should be simalar to what they did with the Ender Quartet (novel) And that story went really well so this makes me look forward to the movie.

But no one has answered one of my questions yet.

When will ADV be releasing the movie in America??
Old 2004-02-18, 12:44   Link #16
ketchupsoup

Send a message via AIM to ketchupsoup Send a message via Yahoo to ketchupsoup
RaXephon Philosophy

I watched RaXephon and loved it. The depth and the meaning behind it were very profound. However, I could not identify some of its philosophical elements. So I was wondering if I could get your opinion on what they might be. (i.e "meaning of life", "what is real?", "What is the nature of humans"...) Just some of your opinions and the reasoning behind them would be great. Thanks.
ketchupsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 14:32   Link #17
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

A lot of the imagery and what was discussed seemed to have a Hindu flavor to it.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 20:31   Link #18
oXKeNsHiNXo

I figured it was about the search for self and an acceptance to what you are meant to be, what your role is to those around you. Pretty much seemed like self discovery and purpose to me. There are prolly other meanings but i need to watch it again... its been a while.
oXKeNsHiNXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 22:33   Link #19
Breogan
Umeboshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
A lot of the imagery and what was discussed seemed to have a Hindu flavor to it.
Actually it's heavily based in the mexican precolombine cultures (Aztecs and Maian? not sure of the english names). Al lot of the weird-sounding names in the series are actually Nahuatl words (the main language in the mexican empires), and some of them are related to the creation myths and other philosophy related topics, like "IN IXTLI IN YÓLLOTL" which apears in one of the last episodes.
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 07:15   Link #20
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

RahXephon is basically a story about love across time, with some heavy Aztec religion symbolisms. Olin, Ishtori (Ixtli), Katun, the five circles in Barbem insignia, the Obsidian Butterfly, the destruction and recreation of the world, etc. etc. all come from Aztec belief.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha