AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-18, 21:59   Link #21
Trans-Fat

Something about Kyousuke's eyes (nothing personal) and his stares reminds me of Ryūji Takasu from Toradora. I think Ryuji has a similar personality as Kyousuke too.

Him arguing and yelling at his father has me visualizing that Tomoya all over again.
Old 2010-10-18, 22:48   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I aspire to be an awesome older brother with an imouto like Kyousuke.

That is all.
Old 2010-10-18, 22:55   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
Something about Kyousuke's eyes (nothing personal) and his stares reminds me of Ryūji Takasu from Toradora. I think Ryuji has a similar personality as Kyousuke too.

Him arguing and yelling at his father has me visualizing that Tomoya all over again.
Well, he does have the "helpful" traits of Ryuji

He has the bravery of Taoru from MM

He has the "being pulled into situations" of Kyon, there is also the "laziness of being your average normal guy"

The kindness of Okazaki, as well as being "devoted"

Too many other male leads resemble him
Old 2010-10-20, 07:44   Link #24
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

That is all.

You want your imouto to ignore you and call you gross all the time?
Old 2010-10-20, 07:56   Link #25
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:

That is all.
Hmm, but she kinda lacks the W of the BMW as of yet.
I prefer if I had a sister with the BMW qualities. :P
Blood connection, check.
Memories with each other, check.
Wonichan moe, big check. XD In other words, care for your big brother deeply.
Old 2010-10-20, 11:45   Link #26
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:

That is all.
I completely agree. Normally for a character like him, the standard reaction is "damn that lucky bastard, I wish I have such a cute sister like he does". But here, seeing the way he's willing to not only support, but even sacrifice himself for a little sister who treats him rather callously, I too wish that I can be as awesome a big brother as he is. A similar reaction I got from Kou Kitamura last year (in fact, I think I remember something like this from when I used to lurk the Cross Game thread, and you were one of the regulars there Meo), which makes him more admirable than most other male protagonists in just three episodes. Hope he'll continue to be awesome!
Old 2010-10-22, 11:23   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I completely agree. Normally for a character like him, the standard reaction is "damn that lucky bastard, I wish I have such a cute sister like he does". But here, seeing the way he's willing to not only support, but even sacrifice himself for a little sister who treats him rather callously, I too wish that I can be as awesome a big brother as he is. A similar reaction I got from Kou Kitamura last year (in fact, I think I remember something like this from when I used to lurk the Cross Game thread, and you were one of the regulars there Meo), which makes him more admirable than most other male protagonists in just three episodes. Hope he'll continue to be awesome!
Kyousuke definitely showed himself to be GAR in that ep, and Kou is the most GAR character of the last year - so valid comparison as far as I'm concerned. Of course Kyou has some work to do before he can reach the Kou class in this category, but he's off to a good start. Like Kou, he isn't especially interested in calling attention to himself but just does difficult things becaude they're the right thing to do - a "quiet GAR", if you will - sort of the opposite of the kind of GAR you get from Goro (Major) where the hero plows ahead courageously and attempts to do the impossible on sheer strength of will.

Right now Kyousuke definitely strikes me as a kind of amalgam - a good one - of several recent anime male leads, which I think is intentional given the subject matter of the series. Given the way the first three eps were presented as more or less a prologue, I'm fascinated to see where the series will go with his character. Will he become influenced by his sister's otaku passions? Will he develop a romance with the neighbor girl, or maybe Saori? Will he be satisfied being a second-class citizen in his own family, or will he rebel against it?
Old 2010-10-22, 11:29   Link #28
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
You want your imouto to ignore you and call you gross all the time?
She already does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kyousuke definitely showed himself to be GAR in that ep, and Kou is the most GAR character of the last year - so valid comparison as far as I'm concerned. Of course Kyou has some work to do before he can reach the Kou class in this category, but he's off to a good start. Like Kou, he isn't especially interested in calling attention to himself but just does difficult things becaude they're the right thing to do - a "quiet GAR", if you will - sort of the opposite of the kind of GAR you get from Goro (Major) where the hero plows ahead courageously and attempts to do the impossible on sheer strength of will.

Right now Kyousuke definitely strikes me as a kind of amalgam - a good one - of several recent anime male leads, which I think is intentional given the subject matter of the series. Given the way the first three eps were presented as more or less a prologue, I'm fascinated to see where the series will go with his character. Will he become influenced by his sister's otaku passions? Will he develop a romance with the neighbor girl, or maybe Saori? Will he be satisfied being a second-class citizen in his own family, or will he rebel against it?
I'm still not getting as to why people think he's considered a second class citizen in his own family. His parents clearly respect him enough to have even listened to him and let him handle the situation with his sister, and you can easily consider his father's reaction as abject surprise to him (falsely) admitting he has siscon eroge addiction. If he was a second class citizen, their father wouldn't have listened to him at all and even consented to his reasoning in favor of Kirino's gaming, and neither would their mother have even trusted him with handling the situation.

And what the hell was neighbor girl's name again?
Old 2010-10-22, 11:34   Link #29
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
And what the hell was neighbor girl's name again?
Manami. Though it doesn't matter. Kirino has already dubbed her "Neighbor Girl" so that's how everyone's going to refer to her anyway. At least until she makes some kind of lasting impression.

Though I also call her Ricchan or even Aria...
Old 2010-10-22, 11:35   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the evidence is ample that he's the second child, despite being the oldest. All the photos have Kirino, and he's only in a few that also feature her. His parents are interested in her activities, but at no point in the first three eps do they show the slightest interest in anything he does or where he's been. All the conversation around the dining table is about Kirino, none of it about him. She's a model, an athlete, an honor student - he's a cipher. I think it's all pretty straightforward.

In terms of his father "listening" to him, I don't think Kyou gave him any choice. Basically he jumped right in his father's face and (literally) grabbed him by the collar. I think he did that - in defiance of so much Japanese social custom - because he knew he was so insignificant in his father's eyes that nothing he said would make any impact any other way.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:53   Link #31
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I think the evidence is ample that he's the second child, despite being the oldest. All the photos have Kirino, and he's only in a few that also feature her. His parents are interested in her activities, but at no point in the first three eps do they show the slightest interest in anything he does or where he's been. All the conversation around the dining table is about Kirino, none of it about him. She's a model, an athlete, an honor student - he's a cipher. I think it's all pretty straightforward.

In terms of his father "listening" to him, I don't think Kyou gave him any choice. Basically he jumped right in his father's face and (literally) grabbed him by the collar. I think he did that - in defiance of so much Japanese social custom - because he knew he was so insignificant in his father's eyes that nothing he said would make any impact any other way.
1. Photo albums specific for Kirino's modeling gigs.

2. Just one dinner, in the middle of it, and shot directly into Kyousuke's comments. We really have no idea if they even discussed anything else during the scene.

3. Case in point again that this is an East Asian family. It's a patriarchal system that almost naturally places men in a higher standing within the family unit. The utter silence that Kirino portrayed isn't simply because she's docile about her hobby to explain to her father, but also part of the conditioning children have in front of their parents, probably more so because she's a girl. In Kyousuke's case, he was forceful more likely because he knew their father would listen to him more than her sister being the "male" sibling, and thus needed to be completely thorough and complete in defending her sister, not just for her but for him too.

In many Asian family's, the amount of indirect "not giving a damn" your parents have for you tends to be proportional to the amount of trust they have for you. Again for the male bias, consider how their father agreed for her lifestyle only if she worked for it through her modeling gigs. You can even hear the sterner tone he uses for her. Kyosuke on the other hand doesn't even work, gets free passes and isn't subject to the same restrictions. In old school Asian families, useless sons either get a whole lot of (corrective) attention or are pretty much disowned. The girls are usually restricted, especially in conservative families.

And Kyosuke is far from useless. The mere fact that he went out to study in that episode shows that he may come off as a slacker, but he still gives a damn about himself and his family. He's not merely riding the tide. He's being active.

In any case even if was only galge and not outright eroge, it is still more likely that he would have listened to Kyosuke more than with Kirino.
Old 2010-10-22, 12:08   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I am neither arguing that Kyousuke is a slacker or useless - merely that he's lower on his family's pecking order than Kirino. I don't think he comes off as either of those things at all, but I also think his parents may feel differently. At best, they don't pay much notice to what he's up to altogether.

This is obviously a differing interpretation of the events that have played out thus far. We'll see how things develop in coming episodes.
Old 2010-10-22, 12:16   Link #33
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I am neither arguing that Kyousuke is a slacker or useless - merely that he's lower on his family's pecking order than Kirino. I don't think he comes off as either of those things at all, but I also think his parents may feel differently. At best, they don't pay much notice to what he's up to altogether.

This is obviously a differing interpretation of the events that have played out thus far. We'll see how things develop in coming episodes.
Well that was pretty much my point. His parents not minding him, so to speak, seems to be reflective of the lack of need to "guide" him because he's doing well enough in their eyes and trusts him for it, as opposed to the watchful eyes they have on Kirino. For me the pecking order is reversed, and seems more in line with the way they treat him and the way an Asian family in my experience operates.

Too bad my own family isn't as old school and conservative. Or maybe I should be thankful that they aren't?
Old 2010-10-24, 05:00   Link #34
Excorsism

I want to know how their relationship got so bad before they started relating with each other in the otaku stuff. I still wonder why Kyousuke doesn't hold any sort of disdain for how she treated him before they started being more friendly.

I totally would have... maybe. In fact, I hope he snaps once or something in the novel as a reaction to how she treats him. Then again, Kyousuke in the novel seems a bit more cynical in dealing with his little sister.
Old 2010-10-25, 10:49   Link #35
Kamonichan

So far, Kyousuke comes off as a particularly pathetic character to me, in regards to how his family treats him. It seems like his father has actually given up on him.

1.) In the conversation at the dinner table, Kyousuke actually makes a mental note that his parents don't care what he's doing. The studio could easily have added a continuation-fade away line of, "How about you, Kyousuke?" before cutting to the next scene.
2.) His father has all the awards and a freaking photo album of Kirino, which he treasures, but he doesn't have one for Kyousuke. Point in case, the only time we see Kyousuke in that album is a family shot, with Kirino on the father's knee while Kyousuke is isolated to the side.
3.) Also, the father's declaration at the end of Kyousuke's rant, "Do whatever you want, I don't care!"

Granted, his father probably hasn't abandoned Kyousuke, but as people have said, the guy is pretty much the lowest member of the family. The father is obviously intelligent because he doesn't just blindly swallow what the media says and instead looks at the implications, so I'm willing to bet he knows that Kyousuke doesn't actually have a thing for Kirino and that Kyousuke doesn't really like anime or eroge. He was probably glad that Kyousuke gave him a plausible excuse not to think Kirino was into eroge.
Old 2010-10-26, 05:21   Link #36
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Maybe Kyosuke isn't really their child. Could explain why his parents don't favor him as much.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2010-10-26, 17:34   Link #37
Shadow5YA

We don't know how Kyosuke was treated before Kirino was born. When he was the only child, he most likely did get all the attention, but when he didn't show any outstanding achievements, his father stopped caring. Besides, Kirino is not only the youngest child, but she's still not an adult (and yes, a teenager/adolescent is still more or less a child). Their parents have every right to be more concerned with Kirino, since she's still growing and learning. Kyosuke is already an adult (albeit a young one), so of course his parents won't give him as much attention. He doesn't need it.
Old 2010-10-26, 20:15   Link #38
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

We're assuming he did get all the attention. For all we know, no one was ever interested in him.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2010-10-26, 20:57   Link #39
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
We're assuming he did get all the attention. For all we know, no one was ever interested in him.
The plain girl seems to be
Old 2010-10-26, 21:02   Link #40
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micchi View Post
The plain girl seems to be
Indeed makes you wonder what occurred between Kyousuke, and the "Neighbor Girl"
Closed Thread

Tags
characters