AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2008-09-27, 19:35   Link #421
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullchukka View Post
I never thought higurashi is a popular anime. o.o Very few people around me know the fellow nice residants of Hinamizawa

Of all mainstream animes that I see around, I find it very hard to put higurashi in that category.
It is a really popular anime,just look at all the views on the episodes,all the views on the amvs,the livejournal communities and the fanfiction,it is a growing mainstream anime community. People really like Higurashi,I bet it will be more popular then Naruto some day

....>> People where I live don't even know about Naruto,and not that much about Pokemon either.
Old 2008-09-27, 20:19   Link #422
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

lol i thought everyone knows about pokemon ...
SealedTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 20:25   Link #423
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

When I told my old friends about Pikachu,they had no idea what she was at first. Then one of my friends replied "Oh,that yellow rat thing?"....So pitiful ;__;

Hau,Rei has to have cute moments in it,that pool arc has to have tons of cute moments in it KeiichixRena >> ?
Old 2008-09-27, 20:28   Link #424
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

im all in for k1xrena and i hope to see bern chan in action ... Btw yellow rat thing =.=
Old 2008-09-27, 20:43   Link #425
unasuvas
Follower of Lambdadelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
People really like Higurashi,I bet it will be more popular then Naruto some day
Oh God, that would be horrible. I don't want Higurashi to have a bigger fanbase because that would mean that it could get almost as retarded as Naruto's (no offense to Naruto fans but a majority of the fanbase is pretty embarassing to look at). And with people who watch it saying stupid things like "LOL I WATCH HIGURASHI BECAUSE I'M SO HARDCORE WITH BLOOD & GORE IT'S SO DELICIOUS LOL"

But the good thing is I don't think Higurashi will be that big since producers don't milk the shit out of it with 20+ video games, more than 10 movies and 300+ episodes. The Nekogoroshi-hen and Higurashi Rei OVAs aren't too much or too little for Higu's fanbase either, which is good.

To be honest, I like Higu's fanbase as it is now. Not too obscure & not too popular.
Old 2008-09-27, 21:00   Link #426
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

i think higurashi is a lot better than naruto...but just that its popularity is not as high
Old 2008-09-27, 21:05   Link #427
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unasuvas View Post
Oh God, that would be horrible. I don't want Higurashi to have a bigger fanbase because that would mean that it could get almost as retarded as Naruto's (no offense to Naruto fans but a majority of the fanbase is pretty embarassing to look at). And with people who watch it saying stupid things like "LOL I WATCH HIGURASHI BECAUSE I'M SO HARDCORE WITH BLOOD & GORE IT'S SO DELICIOUS LOL"

But the good thing is I don't think Higurashi will be that big since producers don't milk the shit out of it with 20+ video games, more than 10 movies and 300+ episodes. The Nekogoroshi-hen and Higurashi Rei OVAs aren't too much or too little for Higu's fanbase either, which is good.

To be honest, I like Higu's fanbase as it is now. Not too obscure & not too popular.
QFT, I always thought how horrible it'd be if Higurashi was popular like Naruto and the very thought makes me shiver. Sure it'd be nice to talk to people about it without them asking "Wuts higur...higu... higura... whatever you just said? D:"... but I'd still rather the popularity be like it is now than for it to get like Naruto. >.>

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 21:23   Link #428
Beruko08
The Shadow of Twilight
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Beruko08
Quote:

it's extremely sad to know that there're still some people watch Higurashi b'cuz of its gore, not pay much attention to the story...
Beruko08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 21:48   Link #429
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

why do they love gore so much? ... I mean i would rather watch something with an interesting plot rather than it having senseless blood
Old 2008-09-27, 21:53   Link #430
unasuvas
Follower of Lambdadelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruko08 View Post
it's extremely sad to know that there're still some people watch Higurashi b'cuz of its gore, not pay much attention to the story...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealedTime View Post
why do they love gore so much? ... I mean i would rather watch something with an interesting plot rather than it having senseless blood
To be completely honest, that's how I got into the fandom. I saw a couple videos of the gorey parts of first season Higurashi and I thought 'Wow, this is awesome!' and then once I got into the storyline, I started to appreciate the intricate & well-thought-out storyline and all the interesting characters (especially 34-tan).

And I'm sure I'm not the only person that got into this fandom by that way either. I think 45% of people came for the lolis, 45% came for the gore and the remaining 10% got into it from a different reason like a recommendation from a friend or they read the synopsis of it on Wikipedia & thought the idea was interesting.

Last edited by unasuvas; 2008-09-28 at 00:32. Reason: I suck at math; 40 + 40 + 10 =/= 100
unasuvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 22:01   Link #431
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

i got it from a recommendation and i was pretty unwilling to watch after reading the summaries (yes i'm timid) then as i slowly started it i kept watching and grew to like it
Old 2008-09-27, 23:45   Link #432
IvUaN
Light Spirit
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to IvUaN
Quote:
To be completely honest, that's how I got into the fandom. I saw a couple videos of the gory parts of first season Higurashi and I thought 'Wow, this is awesome!' and then once I got into the storyline, I started to appreciate the intricate & well-thought-out storyline and all the interesting characters (especially 34-tan).

And I'm sure I'm not the only person that got into this fandom by that way either. I think 40% of people came for the lolis, 40% came for the gore and the remaining 10% got into it from a different reason like a recommendation from a friend or they read the synopsis of it on Wikipedia & thought the idea was interesting.
I think I'm one of that 10% actually I donīt really remember the Exact reason (But certainly it wasn't the gory parts)I started watching Higurashi, I only remember searching for anime pics on Google and then finding a picture about Rena (Thought the pic was somewhat interesting), and started downloading a torrent...

I also think the way the fanbase is right now is okay (Maybe growing just a little more would be okay, but just a little bit more), it would be sad having lots of people talking nonsense because they watched only the anime paying attention only to gory parts.

Im also always fighting with my brother over what is better, Higurashi or one thousand episodes full of Kame-Hame-Haaaa!!!!!! if you know what I'm talking about he
Old 2008-09-28, 02:28   Link #433
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Originally, the only reason I even knew about Higurashi was because my anime club was showing it as the repeater for that semester. I had arrived nearly an hour late, so I basically missed half of the first arc. I was busy on my laptop, but then I heard the 5.1 surround-sound USODA, and it got my attention. When I heard that this show was the repeater, I immediately stopped watching the rest, since the show seemed so intriguing that I wanted to watch it from the very beginning.

Once I discovered how amazing the show is on multiple level, I sort of made it one of my missions to spread awareness of Higurashi to the masses. It met with mixed success. Some people loved it, but some people hated it, citing that it was brutal, violent, and confusing. Something I did find interesting is that unless someone specifically told them the purpose of the reset, most of the people I first interested in the series stopped watching before episode 16.

It seems that you have to be genuinely interested in the plot of the story to stand watching reset after reset, since it becomes frustrating to follow what is real and what isn't. Then again, that aspect also helps to weed out the people who are less dedicated to the series, and thus refines the fan-base.

Still, it's nice to make people more aware of the series. You might even be able to re-hook someone who was originally turned off by the show.
Old 2008-09-28, 05:24   Link #434
Beruko08
The Shadow of Twilight
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Beruko08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Still, it's nice to make people more aware of the series. You might even be able to re-hook someone who was originally turned off by the show.
yeah, that's true.
In my country, very few of people noticed the main story more than gore part. As i said above, i was extremely sad when one my of friend said: "That's boring, why didn't ss2 get more gory parts as ss1?"
When i first watched Higurashi, my thoughts were "Those chars're really crazy as hell", "why did they have to kill each other like that?", etc. But after reading the one of the Tips (i can't remember it clearly, but it was about Shion's thoughts when she was falling from the building), i felt it was so sad that my tears nearly dropped out. Thanks to that, i started learning more about Higurashi, and realize that Higurashi world as well as expansion 07th's projects 're so meaningful and... i don't know how to put it exactly but i find it more interesting/meaningful than any animes,games,manga i've ever read/watchted/played/etc...
Beruko08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 13:17   Link #435
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvUaN View Post
I think I'm one of that 10% actually I donīt really remember the Exact reason (But certainly it wasn't the gory parts)I started watching Higurashi, I only remember searching for anime pics on Google and then finding a picture about Rena (Thought the pic was somewhat interesting), and started downloading a torrent...

I also think the way the fanbase is right now is okay (Maybe growing just a little more would be okay, but just a little bit more), it would be sad having lots of people talking nonsense because they watched only the anime paying attention only to gory parts.

Im also always fighting with my brother over what is better, Higurashi or one thousand episodes full of Kame-Hame-Haaaa!!!!!! if you know what I'm talking about he
I remember how I started watching it. It was the most boring day ever, and I was looking around anime news network hoping to find something to drown away my boredom... Then I noticed something. A small advertisement on the right side that drew my attention. I immediately downloaded a handful of episodes and was instantly hooked xD

P. S. Higurashi is definetely better without a doubt... but don't make fun of "Kame-hame-ha" =P
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 14:59   Link #436
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I started watching it because I saw a screenshot of Mion and I thought it looked cute... then I went to the video page and paused the video, I kept putting off watching it but one day the video eventually started itself while I was doing something and I heard the awesome OP.
So I guess it's the cute girls + the first OP that first got me into Higurashi. O.o;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 15:32   Link #437
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
I started watchin' it hen my friewnd told me to watch it one night. xD I was like, "WTF" at the first reset, but I got used to it. Then, after I finished the first season, I spoiled myself of Kai and other information. ^^;;; I was too impatient...

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 15:43   Link #438
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Smile

Spoiler for epicly long random nonsensical reminance of my first encounters with Higurashi:

I don't understand why people call Higurashi "gory" or a "horror anime",I don't find it gory,or scary,the least bit,and it's definattly not a horror anime. Maybe it's because most of those people have no idea about the soundnovel,and take every scene in the anime litteraly.

I also don't find why people call Higurashi confusing. Alot of cartoons and books have seperate storys,or stories that don't connect with each other(like alot of kids cartoons,the episodes are oneshots and alot of the events are not referred to later in the series).
But,when it comes to anime,people think that it has to have a story and that all the episodes immeditally connect.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:31   Link #439
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

I started watching higurashi after a friend of mine sending me the opening song... I immediatly fell in love with it and decided to see which anime it was from.. and voila, I started watching without any idea of what was expecting me...

hmm, unsasuvas I think that 10% is a little bit more x')
maybe 40% for the lolis, 40% for the gore and 20% for other reasons

btw, have you seen the sketches for Rei yet? I mean those where you can see K1's... thongue or whatever it is xD

what did you think? I actually think it's not as bad as I thought, though K1's pool wearing is a bit... umm... can't express myself anymore about it

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 18:00   Link #440
unasuvas
Follower of Lambdadelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
hmm, unsasuvas I think that 10% is a little bit more x')
maybe 40% for the lolis, 40% for the gore and 20% for other reasons
Nah, I'll stick with my 10%. I say that because the 10% are the only ones that will admit their reason for being introduced to the show. If you go somewhere like 4chan, they'll most likely say that they came for the lolis ("I'd her horns"), the gore, or the TWEESTS.