Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-09-16, 15:13   Link #701
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
Highly doubt that.
We know for a fact that OFA doesnt increase its users durability. That means, the 100% OFA that AM used got its recoil fully tanked by AMs own body that he gained via training, no enhancements via quirks. That means, everyone in this show (as long as they are average body-wise) can get as durable as prime AM.

In the end that would also mean that strength and speed go up, not to prime AM levels but to quite a extend. Tanking 15% or 50% will be no issue at that point. And im certain that will happen to Bakugou, Todoroki and co wile the series goes on.
For one, I was talking about speed, Deku at 15% would speedblitz every first year we've seen so far, no question.
Secondly, One For All definitely increases the user durability, All Might tanked city block leveling attacks from All For One, and All For One absolutely fucking rekt everyone else on site without even using the same level of power he put into trying to kill All Might, if you really think All Mights physique is the peak human average on this verse youre very much mistaken
'Tanking 50% will be no issue' I'm decently sure that outside All For One, theres no one capable in-verse of trading blows with a 50% All Might.
Old 2018-09-16, 16:09   Link #702
Itlandm
Porcupine

Looks like there's some kind of technique to increase your durability with One for All, it certainly doesn't happen by default (look at the injuries Deku got again and again, some of which will be with him for life). But given the slugging matches All Might has been in, there is no way he could tank those attacks without using his quirk, and as far as we know he doesn't have any other quirks, at least not combat quirks.

Right now it seems Deku is avoiding damage to his own body by keeping his energy output at 5%, but I don't think we have seen him do anything other than normal exercise to increase his durability. That will probably have to change at some point. I wonder if the way All Might bulked up was his way to increase his sturdiness? There is no hint that Deku is doing anything like that, his signature when he activates is the colored lightning that runs around his body. I wonder if that can be used to absorb damage or if he will learn some other technique.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 03:43   Link #703
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

One for All probably has some kind of synergy with your natural body strength. It could be that they just enhance each other. Or maybe OfA acts like a multiplier, Kaiohken-style. Either way, just the fact that All Might could transform into his buff form by using it should make it clear that it's not a one directional thing: OfA can enhance the body of its user.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 04:04   Link #704
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
For one, I was talking about speed, Deku at 15% would speedblitz every first year we've seen so far, no question.
Unless he is faster than recipro burst iida during 15% i would say its doubtful that this happens. Todoroki reacted to iida during the tournament, and i dont think deku is faster than him, more agile, yes, but not faster, and therefore people with at least todorokis physical stats (which are probably around #9 or so in class) will still react to deku.
Quote:
Secondly, One For All definitely increases the user durability, All Might tanked city block leveling attacks from All For One, and All For One absolutely fucking rekt everyone else on site without even using the same level of power he put into trying to kill All Might, if you really think All Mights physique is the peak human average on this verse youre very much mistaken
Than explain to me why dekus arm breaks if OFA is increasing durability as well.
The entire sideeffect of OFA is centered around the fact that the user himself has to become durable enough to tank OFAs 100% output.
Quote:
'Tanking 50% will be no issue' I'm decently sure that outside All For One, theres no one capable in-verse of trading blows with a 50% All Might.
Muscular tanked even 100% OFA directly to his face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
One for All probably has some kind of synergy with your natural body strength. It could be that they just enhance each other. Or maybe OfA acts like a multiplier, Kaiohken-style. Either way, just the fact that All Might could transform into his buff form by using it should make it clear that it's not a one directional thing: OfA can enhance the body of its user.
The buff form is just a absurd version of what people do in order to look better. AM even does it after losing OFA completly as he himself said. Its just that with OFA he was able to keep that form up for a longer time since he probably always had a certain output of OFA energy releasing from his body that kept his buff-form up.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 05:11   Link #705
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Than explain to me why dekus arm breaks if OFA is increasing durability as well.
The entire sideeffect of OFA is centered around the fact that the user himself has to become durable enough to tank OFAs 100% output.
That's why I said it's a mutual effect. Sure, Deku needs to be stronger to withstand OfA. But it's also clear that OfA still gives you more strength than any regular human body could possibly take.

Old 2018-09-17, 07:52   Link #706
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I cant believe I actually have a guy arguing that One For All doesnt increase durability of its user, after witnessing what All Might tanked in the battle vs All For One.
I'm legit unsure of what to make of someone that sees All Might, the verse resident flying brick and thinks 'oh thats what every human on the setting can aspire to, to tank attacks that level entire city blocks'
One for All is the Superman powerset minus the flying (because lets face it, All Might IS Superman), super strenght, overhelming speed, ridiculous durability, its the standard flying brick powerset.
Old 2018-09-17, 08:52   Link #707
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I cant believe I actually have a guy arguing that One For All doesnt increase durability of its user, after witnessing what All Might tanked in the battle vs All For One.
What I can't understand is why no one questions the fact that Bakugou takes a freakin' punch to the face from Deku and still manages to not only stay conscious but somehow cognizant enough to actually come out on top. I mean, it's not a regular punch, from your local grunt, is it? Or even block his kicks with his bare arms (kicks that are supposed to be able to break concrete blocks and stuff). That is what actually bugs me.

But, hey, maybe his powers increase his durability, as well? Seems weird, but hey.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 09:18   Link #708
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
What I can't understand is why no one questions the fact that Bakugou takes a freakin' punch to the face from Deku and still manages to not only stay conscious but somehow cognizant enough to actually come out on top. I mean, it's not a regular punch, from your local grunt, is it? Or even block his kicks with his bare arms (kicks that are supposed to be able to break concrete blocks and stuff). That is what actually bugs me.

But, hey, maybe his powers increase his durability, as well? Seems weird, but hey.
Those are just Required Secondary Powers for the whole MHA universe at this point, basically.

If we want to be realistic, the human body is squishy. Wars have seen people dropping most defensive technology, like plate armour, because it became always easier to kill and damage than it was to protect oneself - and if you're going to die at the first hit anyway, might as well just get rid of the extra weight and try to dodge. In a superpowered universe, with people with exploding hands (Bakugo), people with fire and ice (Todoroki, Endeavor), acid (Mina) or even just a really fast kick (Iida), almost every battle would end up with someone dead or disabled for life. You can't just take the human body, tack on such powerful offensive abilities, without adding any defences, and somehow expect this not to result in people dying left and right. How did Deku not get burnt to a crisp by Todoroki? Or frozen to death? How did Uraraka survive Bakugo's onslaught? How did Stein survive the absolutely savage beating he got from the kids? Realistically, any of those attacks should be enough to kill a person. Here they just use them in training events for kids. The only marginally believable people are those with defensive Quirks like Kirishima and Tetsutetsu.

So, yeah, that. I think it's just a question better left unasked. But even so, All Might still was on a completely different level, regarding his resistance, than all other heroes.

Old 2018-09-17, 10:21   Link #709
Twi

As much as I love Stain as a character, his ribs should've been dust after that kick he got from Iida to the ribs and those flames covered his head so if he so the hot air would have toasted his lungs. Uraraka should've been burned if the explosives had any sort of heat or had her insides rattled hard enough to put her down early with how many up-close blasts she took.

It's a shounen series. The only times injuries factor in are when they play a role in the plot.
Old 2018-09-17, 10:43   Link #710
Chosen_Hero

Quote:

It's the power of inconsistency (something that you can notice in this series once you put some thought into how quirks work), nowhere in the canon is it stated that their quirks also give them superhuman durability.
Old 2018-09-17, 10:43   Link #711
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

Deku can only break concrete because of the special shoes Hatsume made him. He isn't that strong yet. I definitely think he should be stronger though. A weakened All Might could destroy buildings with just the wind pressure from his punches. Even just 8% of that should make him super strong.
Old 2018-09-17, 11:38   Link #712
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Deku can only break concrete because of the special shoes Hatsume made him. He isn't that strong yet. I definitely think he should be stronger though. A weakened All Might could destroy buildings with just the wind pressure from his punches. Even just 8% of that should make him super strong.
Yeah, I forgot about the shoes, but then again, he was breaking the sound barrier while throwing stuff, way back when the series was barely starting, so... I dunno. Like Chosen_Hero put, it's really "the power of inconsistency".

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 12:16   Link #713
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The buff form is just a absurd version of what people do in order to look better. AM even does it after losing OFA completly as he himself said.
Doesn't All Might still have fleeting embers of power left inside him, slowly fading away after having passed on his quirk? I thought he still used what little he had to buff up.

About Deku: his strikes can absolutely shatter human bones 100% of the time, be it fists or kicks. Bakugou's strong defensive point has always been his perception and tactical movements, pressing his advantage and not getting in a bad spot. When it comes to taking hits though, he's shown nothing so far IIRC. If it were Kirishima instead, we'd have something to talk about.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 15:24   Link #714
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Since his arms don't end in charred stumps, there's got to be some of that...

Quote:
Several possibilities. For example, the increase in durability happens over time and training, while the power is available immediately.

Or, getting power out of OfA is easy, but getting durability is like wagging a single eyebrow, and doesn't come as naturally.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 15:55   Link #715
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Since his arms don't end in charred stumps, there's got to be some of that...

Several possibilities. For example, the increase in durability happens over time and training, while the power is available immediately.

Or, getting power out of OfA is easy, but getting durability is like wagging a single eyebrow, and doesn't come as naturally.
Or that Kōhei Horikoshi wanted Deku to be Broken-bone Lad for pathos reasons even if it made little sense.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-18, 03:04   Link #716
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Or that Kōhei Horikoshi wanted Deku to be Broken-bone Lad for pathos reasons even if it made little sense.
Well, making all Quirks come with some kind of downside is basically the key mechanic of the whole story and how things stay balanced. Makes sense that the most powerful Quirk would come with a pretty big downside.

Old 2018-09-19, 08:20   Link #717
LevelSeven

Quote:
I'm legit unsure of what to make of someone that sees All Might, the verse resident flying brick and thinks 'oh thats what every human on the setting can aspire to, to tank attacks that level entire city blocks'
One for All is the Superman powerset minus the flying (because lets face it, All Might IS Superman), super strenght, overhelming speed, ridiculous durability, its the standard flying brick powerset.
I dont understand why you arent actually arguing than instead of just saying "lol nope" if you are so sure of your point. I already gave you points you could argue against if you had actual arguments. Like, how come Deku is requiring a strong body to use OFA if OFA was raising the durability as well? How come a strong body is required at all? If OFA was truly raising the durability as you so proudly claim than there shouldnt be a need for a muscular body in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

But this is all guesswork with nothing from the story really hinting at it. I mean, someone like Muscular already tanked 100% (actually 1mil%) OFA directly to his face and got KOed. And he was such a trained guy.
A untrained middle school kid who was weak physically (which is why he used a gun) got a straight punch into his face and it KOed him only.

The story seems to not only hint but outright show that people in this universe have higher durability than RL humans from the getgo and have a massive amount of possible growth.

At least that is the case if we dont go with the "its the power of inconsistency" route.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-19, 09:09   Link #718
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The story seems to not only hint but outright show that people in this universe have higher durability than RL humans from the getgo and have a massive amount of possible growth.

At least that is the case if we dont go with the "its the power of inconsistency" route.
You can say that again, I still remember the gas villain who got 1HKO'd. As for Deku's quirk hurting him...well, it still hurts when you punch yourself. Remember though, that until recently he's had little actual control of his quirk, unlike pretty much EVERYONE ELSE, so hurting himself in misuse was normal, I guess.

Now that he knows his output, he can still break his body, but only if he exceeds his limit - and he still has a lot to learn about OfA, if we go by the hidden sentience that lies within.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 06:53   Link #719
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Episode 24 - Season 3

Spoiler for Episode:
Old 2018-09-22, 06:56   Link #720
Random14

That was certainly a very different first half. A power like that could be very useful (as we've seen) but also the terrifying things it could do to someone's mind.

I wonder how much of this arc they'll adapt. Maybe another three or so episodes for a full two-cour run? I hope to see a few more upcoming characters get voices. And I remember back when this manga chapter came out that someone edited those three's entrance so that they were dressed up like a pirate, shinigami and ninja, that was a funny edit.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
super hero