Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-06, 12:44   Link #261
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Have you heard anything generally of how the manga and the anime are being received?
Unfortunately, I haven't found any TV ratings numbers for the anime, but on 2channel, it is doing surprisingly well for a shoujo-style show. Maybe the popularity of Saki (which is extremely popular on 2channel) had made yuri more in with Japanese otaku than it has been. It is in the upper middle of the summer shows, in terms of number of posts, with around 11,000. That puts it just behind Princess Lover and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and just ahead of Sora no Manima ni and Kanamemo.

I've done a blog post on the popularity of the summer shows (AnimeSuki vs. 2channel vs. TV), and one on the spring shows, too.

As for the manga, all I know is that it isn't in the top 23 for 2008 (topped by One Piece, NANA, and Nodame Cantabile), or in the top 30 for last week (topped by Pandora Hearts, Moyashimon, and Saki).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-08-06 at 12:55.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 20:21   Link #262
Bath-Teth

Exams are over (yeah!) and I could finally watch episodes 4 and 5 of Aoi Hana.
I have to say Sugimoto is growing on me.

So far she handles the relationship with Fumi pretty well (not too pushy). She seems to have more experience with dating etc. than Fumi, who probably has none, as I doubt she and her cousin went out on any dates, at all. She knows that she has to guide Fumi a bit, to get her comfortable and secure with their relationship.

I like that Sugimoto doesn't act like someone stuck in a typical Manga/Anime love triangle, who can't decide what he/she wants. I hope that won't change.
Good to see her being quite mature about handling Kyokou and her love for her. She doesn't give signals to Kyokou which might've given her false hope.
She makes it clear from the start that she wants Fumi and Kyokou doesn't have a chance with her. Thus, It'll be easier for Kyokou to get over her in the long run. Even though it must be hard to be rejected that easily.

As for A-chan (everyone calls her that anyway ), she's just plain awesome right now. I love her.
It sucks being in her shoes with 2 good friends being in love with the same girl.
It's never easy not to take a side and still being able to support one (or both). I think she handles this situation really, really well. Even as "only" a friend she's a keeper.
She might be better for Fumi being a best-friend than being a lover. I just wish someone would realize soon how lovable she really is. (Hello Kyokou!)
Though A-chan's still very immature about the whole love/relationship thing. Someone has to teach her!

The question now is, who's Fumi's first love? Somehow I doubt it's her cousin.

Spoiler for Speculation about Fumi's fist love:
Bath-Teth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 22:57   Link #263
adamatari

I think I'm falling for Sugimoto~~

Spoiler for Episode 6 spoilers:
adamatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 23:50   Link #264
4Tran

Fumi's "I don't want to know. But's it's eating me up inside." line is indicative of just how good Aoi Hana is turning out to be. I always find it very refreshing when a show can have characters act in a completely believable and honest manner, and yet show herself to be both perceptive and vulnerable. The main cast for this show has been excellently presented so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
That's nice. I'm surprised that a lesbian website would have any interest in anime. And it seems to be well received there as well.
That shouldn't be that surprising since anime was one of the earliest places where positive lesbian relationships could be found. The first of them known to the West was probably Sailor Moon, and the fact that it was a well-received children's show only helps to strengthen that interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't found any TV ratings numbers for the anime, but on 2channel, it is doing surprisingly well for a shoujo-style show. Maybe the popularity of Saki (which is extremely popular on 2channel) had made yuri more in with Japanese otaku than it has been. It is in the upper middle of the summer shows, in terms of number of posts, with around 11,000. That puts it just behind Princess Lover and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and just ahead of Sora no Manima ni and Kanamemo.
It is odd given that Aoi Hana is far from being an otaku show, but something similar happened with Maria-sama ga Miteru as well - originally, it was thought to only appeal to shoujo fans, but the anime attracted a lot more attention outside of that segment.
Old 2009-08-07, 13:28   Link #265
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It is odd given that Aoi Hana is far from being an otaku show, but something similar happened with Maria-sama ga Miteru as well - originally, it was thought to only appeal to shoujo fans, but the anime attracted a lot more attention outside of that segment.
TM8 is even less of an Otaku show than Aoi Hana yet is doing as well as the latter with the Otaku there in 2chan. Maybe, more than a particular appeal that any of these shows could have on them, they just want to support Fuji TV (Noitamina/Noise) a bit? Well, I don't know.

In any case, it would be great to know the ratings Aoi Hana is getting.
Old 2009-08-07, 15:16   Link #266
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:

I've done a blog post on the popularity of the summer shows (AnimeSuki vs. 2channel vs. TV), and one on the spring shows, too.

As for the manga, all I know is that it isn't in the top 23 for 2008 (topped by One Piece, NANA, and Nodame Cantabile), or in the top 30 for last week (topped by Pandora Hearts, Moyashimon, and Saki).

thanks Kaoru Chujo hopefully Aoi Hana will make Yuri slightly more popular with Japanese audiences. I happen to think the anime and manga have strong writing and succeeds and pulling the audience into the world emotionally. To me those are strong signs of a good series regardless of the genre.
Old 2009-08-07, 21:51   Link #267
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
TM8 is even less of an Otaku show than Aoi Hana yet is doing as well as the latter with the Otaku there in 2chan. Maybe, more than a particular appeal that any of these shows could have on them, they just want to support Fuji TV (Noitamina/Noise) a bit? Well, I don't know.
Noitamina shows are sort of special to begin with, but TM8 has very broad; enough so that I can imagine lots of otaku watching and commenting on it for non-otaku reasons. The depiction of Tokyo alone is likely to spur a lot of discussion, especially in an environment where many of the viewers are familiar with the geography.
Old 2009-08-08, 23:34   Link #268
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for eps6:

Sorry guys, can't miss this.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 12:05   Link #269
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for eps6:
Blue Drop was a good show. Worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen it, especially if they like both yuri romance and science fiction. Great performances by Yajima Akiko (Crayon Shin-chan) and Sawashiro Miyuki. And good ones from Watanabe Akeno, Gotou Yuuko, and Yukino Satsuki.

The OVA ICE is another good yuri science fiction show. Deeply weird, but worth watching.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-08-10, 16:34   Link #270
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for eps6:

Sorry guys, can't miss this.
true enough my friend.

episode 6 was very good there was slightly changes from the manga but they were so insignificant im surprised i even noticed them. Fumi finally says whats on her mind. I wonder if people realize how much courage it took for Fumi to even express whats she feeling. Also. this is the start of many more events to come for Fumi and Achan.

Its so easy to why Sugimoto is so popular she portrays a bishoujo character perfectly and later we will even get a little more indepth about her personality. Seeing Sugimoto cry at the end was done perfectly the amount of emotion that was in that scene was very heavy.

Fumi is my favorite (i tend to like quiet girls with glasses who like books. She truly and honestly cares for Sugimoto and and it was clear in the bouquet she bought it was simple not extravagant and had a lot of feeling in it as compared to the blatant "look at me look at me" the other girls sent. I consider Fumi one of the most powerful and emotional characters in Aoi Hana. She is a very deep person but also a very innocent one.

Even though Fum is my favorite Kyokou is right up there with her. She is another emotional character who for some reason i just happen to like right away. There is more but they are manga spoilers and i dont want to talk about them in here.
Old 2009-08-11, 15:37   Link #271
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Impressed as I am with the work of Takabe Ai as Fumi-chan, I have done a longish blog post about her: from beauty queen to photo idol to TV actress and personality and now seiyuu. She seems to have a very nice personality and some talent, as well as good looks.

I've included photos from all stages of her career, including swimsuit idol. And there are videos of her acting and being interviewed on TV.

She says in interviews that she has never been in a relationship like Fumi's, but that she did receive lots of Valentine's Day chocolates from younger girls at the girls' high school she went to.
Old 2009-08-11, 15:40   Link #272
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
She says in interviews that she has never been in a relationship like Fumi's, but that she did receive lots of Valentine's Day chocolates from younger girls at the girls' high school she went to.
The complete opposite then.
Old 2009-08-11, 22:33   Link #273
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Impressed as I am with the work of Takabe Ai as Fumi-chan, I have done a longish blog post about her: from beauty queen to photo idol to TV actress and personality and now seiyuu.
I left you some more links at your blog post.

I'm always surprised by how easily Japanese actresses go from modeling to singing to acting to voice-acting. It all seems so fluid. Are the Japanese entertainment and talent management industries simply geared that way? And does it work that way only for the women, or for men as well?

In the US, you've got to have the clout of someplace like Disney to get live-action actors to do animation voice work. Ten years ago, when they did an animated Jackie Chan Adventures, they didn't even have Jackie Chan do the voice of Jackie Chan.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 14:34   Link #274
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 07:

Do look forward to hearing what none manga readers have to say about the events in this episode.
Old 2009-08-12, 14:37   Link #275
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Oh, man, is ep7 great. So beautifully, beautifully directed. And the relationships so subtly drawn.
Spoiler for ep7:
The episode was storyboarded and directed by Aoi Sayo 青井小夜. She has been a key animator at least since 2004, but only recently has been doing storyboards (Zero no Tsukaima Rondo) and episode directing and storyboards (Toradora, Umi Monogatari). As a key animator, she was involved in shows such as Aria, Darker than Black, and Hakaba Kitarou. But of course, the style is Kasai Kenichi's.

I'm definitely seeing three shows this summer that I consider candidates for "masterpiece" status: this, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and Bakemonogatari. All three are maintaining their high quality so far.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-08-12 at 15:04.
Old 2009-08-12, 15:07   Link #276
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Spoiler for ep7:
Spoiler for Episode 07:
Old 2009-08-12, 15:29   Link #277
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Episode 07:
Spoiler for Episode 07:
Old 2009-08-12, 15:36   Link #278
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Sorry for the double

Quote:
I'm definitely seeing three shows this summer that I consider candidates for "masterpiece" status: this, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and Bakemonogatari. All three are maintaining their high quality so far.
sorry but i forgot to mention that i agree with you 100% Kaoru Chujo about all 2 shows. My biggest compliant about anime for the past 2 to 3 years has been the quality of writing. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Bakemonogatari and Aoi Hana are my 3 favorites as for how powerful the writing is i get drawn instantly into all 3 worlds when im watching. At the core of a series in the story itself and how its portrayed to the audience. Too much emotion it feels forced too little you feel disconnected from the characters all 3 previously mentioned managed to nail the right amount dead on making them successful imo.
Old 2009-08-12, 16:23   Link #279
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Spoiler for Episode 07:
Spoiler for Episode 07:
Old 2009-08-13, 05:21   Link #280
Bath-Teth

Just watched EP 6 and loved it, best EP so far, imo.

I liked the play and the subtle reference of its characters to the ones playing them.

I said it before, but with each episode I like Sugimoto more and more, though the hints about her past are somewhat unsettling.
At least, Sugimoto is trying to be honest with Fumi when she asked if Sugimoto does love someone else. But it seems to me like Sugimoto wants to forget her first hopeless love interest so much that she is kind of deluding herself. Seeing her cry all of the sudden at the end because her old teacher (and crush) praised her, just shows how much he still means to her.

I don't doubt (anymore ) that Sugtimoto loves Fumi, but Fumi does need someone who loves her fully and unconditional (with her insecurity and bad experience she needs to have trust in her love) and I don't think Sugimoto with her unresolved? past can give her that, yet.

Still, I admit I was wrong when I first thought Sugimoto was the player type. She's definitely not the type who would date more than one person at the time, which is a big step up for Fumi from her cousin.

Ah-chan is pure win as ever and I still want to console poor Kyouko.

P.S:
MUST resist opening the EP 7 spoilers!!! Seems like an important episode.
Bath-Teth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, school life, yuri